Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Avni Yildirim

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    No one expected much from Yildirim. He didnt disapoint?

Onto the positives. We got to see Canelo fight relatively quickly after dismantling Smith. Who cares who it was? Lets be grown up about it and acknowledge that he isn't going to fight Smith, then Saunders, then Plant, then Bivol. There will be some 'obligatory' fights in between. It's always been that way, pretending it was ever any different is daft.

I'm loving the way Canelo works at the moment. Everything is thrown with force and full of spite. Funny how going back to the GGG fights there stamina question marks. Now, he's throwing bomb after bomb and there's no let up.

The Zhang Forrest fight was brilliant, proper drama.
    Agree with all this....Canelo is the most active champion around, and people are always moaning about who he fights!

People need to aim their frustrations at the ABC bodies for making fighters of the calibre of Yildrim as the mandatory for the title! Canelo is going about his business making defences and going after big names up and down divisions. What's not to like?

He's clearly at the peak of his powers right now....and if he keeps in shape and fighting regularly the names and wins on his resume could be seriously seriously impressive.
    Saunders, Plant, Benavidez, Charlo, Bivol?, Beterbiev?....

And also agree Zhang-Forest was a fun watch!!
    Last edited by TonnnnUK; 02-28-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh... my frustrations are aimed at the WeBlowCanelo for sure.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to call good when it's good and bad when it's bad. Fans can't be so eager to shovel in whatever the smoky room pacts of promotion and crooked governing bodies choose to slop into our extended tiny tin bowls. Sergio Mora said it..."it doesn't matter who he fights" . Huh. When did this start? Are we that needy. That has a shelf life and sounds like an extended credit plan taken for granted. Yeh even elite fighters have the occasional showcase gimme..at lower levels with less limelight some call those shameful mismatches..but when they hide behind well we had no choice because they were #1. That is a tired crutch of a marketing tag. In case we overslept, Yildirim was not and is not listed as mandatory #1. Not by the WbC official rankings, not on any random listings and not by The Ring Mag belt who just endorsed that set up. All while Yildrim is not found anywhere at all in their own top 10 ranks . Never happened. That 1 is Chuck Benavidez, the guy who KO'd Dirrell. The same Dirrell who beat the guy Canelo just called the mandatory. I'm not hating on Canelo just taking it case by case with no blank checks. Onto bigger and much better things let's hope call for.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 02-28-2021 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.box...-stats--155793

Punch stats for yildirim alvarez... Ylidirim made it into double digit punches landed apparently, that's better than I thought...

What a terrible mandatory.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bring on the gypsy
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    You have to call good when it's good and bad when it's bad. Fans can't be so eager to shovel in whatever the smoky room pacts of promotion and crooked governing bodies choose to slop into our extended tiny tin bowls. Sergio Mora said it..."it doesn't matter who he fights" . Huh. When did this start? Are we that needy. That has a shelf life and sounds like an extended credit plan taken for granted. Yeh even elite fighters have the occasional showcase gimme..at lower levels with less limelight some call those shameful mismatches..but when they hide behind well we had no choice because they were #1. That is a tired crutch of a marketing tag. In case we overslept, Yildirim was not and is not listed as mandatory #1. Not by the WbC official rankings, not on any random listings and not by The Ring Mag belt who just endorsed that set up. All while Yildrim is not found anywhere at all in their own top 10 ranks . Never happened. That 1 is Chuck Benavidez, the guy who KO'd Dirrell. The same Dirrell who beat the guy Canelo just called the mandatory. I'm not hating on Canelo just taking it case by case with no blank checks. Onto bigger and much better things let's hope call for.
    If Canelo was only fighting one/twice a year like like most of the big name champions, then maybe but since he's fighting 3/4 times then these shitty mandatories will be par for the course.
    Is the "mandatory" always the number 1 ranked in the division, or could a gov body accept maybe any of the top 3 as a mandatory defence of the title? I'm not fully sure on this. But I am sure Yildrim has been around the top of the WBC ranks for some time....you need to ask them the reason why they have him so highly ranked! He was number 1 back in August when Benavidez was the champ before I guess he was stripped? SO David is back to number 1 and Yildrim number 2.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200802...iddleweight-2/
    Last edited by TonnnnUK; 03-01-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters like Yildrim are limited so will accept any money for themselves, are easy fodder and not dangerous for champions, have the right promoters/managerial "connections" to the alphabet boys so if they wait long enough they will get the opportunity which is what happened.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    If Canelo was only fighting one/twice a year like like most of the big name champions, then maybe but since he's fighting 3/4 times then these shitty mandatories will be par for the course.
    Is the "mandatory" always the number 1 ranked in the division, or could a gov body accept maybe any of the top 3 as a mandatory defence of the title? I'm not fully sure on this. But I am sure Yildrim has been around the top of the WBC ranks for some time....you need to ask them the reason why they have him so highly ranked! He was number 1 back in August when Benavidez was the champ before I guess he was stripped? SO David is back to number 1 and Yildrim number 2.

I'm pretty sure mandatory is by definition the #1 ranked but we've known these alphabet boys are crooked so who cares what we the fans think . Only in boxing can a guy come in off a loss with 2 years of inactivity and be handed millions to keep his hands in his pockets and get beat on like a heavy bag. The WbC really looked on the take and even Sulaiman is giving lip service for the need to review how they determine mandatories. Here's an idea Mauricio..wins and losses mean something and have consequences.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post

I'm pretty sure mandatory is by definition the #1 ranked but we've known these alphabet boys are crooked so who cares what we the fans think . Only in boxing can a guy come in off a loss with 2 years of inactivity and be handed millions to keep his hands in his pockets and get beat on like a heavy bag. The WbC really looked on the take and even Sulaiman is giving lip service for the need to review how they determine mandatories. Here's an idea Mauricio..wins and losses mean something and have consequences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only in boxing can a guy come in off a loss with 2 years of inactivity and be handed millions to keep his hands in his pockets and get beat on like a heavy bag.
    And there sums up the issue! It's crazy!

Thread Information