Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Warrington vs Mauricio Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Hearns match making is very poor a young hungry guy that can punch against a World Champion that had not fought in 16 month Warrington looked staler than a two month old sliced loaf.
    I don't think that's true, this kid was supposed to come here get outboxed, take his money and go back home....It was the same kind of fight Eddie (and all other promoters) puts his fighters in 8 out of 10 fights....
    No one was talking about this dangerous banger from Mexico to be wary of before tonight. He'd never fought outside of South America and had a very mediocre record, but, granted a pretty high KO rate.

We've seen it time and again over the years where no-name fighter comes on over from a tough country, not a noted record, often never fought outside of their country, maybe with plenty of stoppage wins...but they are taken for granted. But they turn out to be tough bastards who can take a shot and throw a good dig back and it derails the fighter.

It happened numerous times over the years, usually with promising talents still working their way at domestic level, rather than on a world stage.

Like with Khan when Prescott blasted him out.
    Derry Mathews promising early career obliterated by that Mongolian lad who fought out of the UK.
    Kiki Martinez came over from Spain and leathered that Irish lad Bernard Dunne inside a round.

It's not necessarily bad match making...it happens!

there have been plenty more through the years but those are the ones off the top of my head and Warrington-Lara is in the same mould as this.
    No, I have to agree with @Dia bando, it wasn’t very clever matchmaking, and I’ll tell you why.
    It’s not because Lara is a great fighter or could be a world champ, because I don’t think he can. He’s very open, very wild, he’ll get caught plenty by a top class boxer.
    That sounds like I’m not giving credit to Lara, which isn’t the case, top marks to him, but I just feel he’ll come short.
    The reasons it was poor matchmaking are that he had 5 fights in the last year, and his KO record shows he can bang.
    Warrington’s strengths are all about energy and work rate, and with 16 months out of the ring, that is always going to be affected.
    I still think the biggest factor is how much energy Warrington gets from his fans, but we can’t do anything about that.
    Maybe we are not giving Lara credit but Warrington was absolutely terrible.
    Hearn has put it down to ring rust boxing is about levels on Josh's performance he has dropped a few levels.
    Would you say on that performance would you fancy him over any of the other champions in his division.?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mexicans and South Americans regularly “upset” UK fighters if they are given a chance. It’s why UK fighters fight mostly Euro’s or other UK fighters. It’s a hell of a lot easier to carry a world title than to take on the worlds best fighters. Just look at the numbers, Mexicans can box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns match making is very poor a young hungry guy that can punch against a World Champion that had not fought in 16 month Warrington looked staler than a two month old sliced loaf.
    I don't think that's true, this kid was supposed to come here get outboxed, take his money and go back home....It was the same kind of fight Eddie (and all other promoters) puts his fighters in 8 out of 10 fights....
    No one was talking about this dangerous banger from Mexico to be wary of before tonight. He'd never fought outside of South America and had a very mediocre record, but, granted a pretty high KO rate.

We've seen it time and again over the years where no-name fighter comes on over from a tough country, not a noted record, often never fought outside of their country, maybe with plenty of stoppage wins...but they are taken for granted. But they turn out to be tough bastards who can take a shot and throw a good dig back and it derails the fighter.

It happened numerous times over the years, usually with promising talents still working their way at domestic level, rather than on a world stage.

Derry Mathews promising early career obliterated by that Mongolian lad who fought out of the UK.
    Kiki Martinez came over from Spain and leathered that Irish lad Bernard Dunne inside a round.

there have been plenty more through the years but those are the ones off the top of my head and Warrington-Lara is in the same mould as this.
    No, I have to agree with @Dia bando, it wasn’t very clever matchmaking, and I’ll tell you why.
    It’s not because Lara is a great fighter or could be a world champ, because I don’t think he can. He’s very open, very wild, he’ll get caught plenty by a top class boxer.
    That sounds like I’m not giving credit to Lara, which isn’t the case, top marks to him, but I just feel he’ll come short.
    The reasons it was poor matchmaking are that he had 5 fights in the last year, and his KO record shows he can bang.
    Warrington’s strengths are all about energy and work rate, and with 16 months out of the ring, that is always going to be affected.
    I still think the biggest factor is how much energy Warrington gets from his fans, but we can’t do anything about that.
    I understand where you're coming from, but it's from a place of hindsight.

So if Warrington had actually boxed smart, as he was expected to and ran out a 120-108 winner, would you be singing Hearns praises about what a brilliant match maker Eddie is? Or would you, like the majority of fans would (including me), be saying "why did they get this no-mark Mexican over for this waste of time? He had only fought other Mexican bums so he wasn't really a monster banger like his record suggests....".

Not sure Hearn, or Warrington himself were to know that he couldn't fight at pull peak after 16 months off. Or more, they probably did and this was supposed to be a walkover that has spectacularly backfired. On the 5 Live podcast Josh even suggested it wasn't until the last few weeks he had to "make this guy into a monster" in his head. So he was probably, absolutely underestimating him. Nor were they to know that unless he has 10,000 Leeds fans singing he would shit the bed either.

So in hindsight it was bad match making. Eddie should have known better and let Josh sit it out until fans are allowed back, and then got him in with UK fighter with a low KO ratio for his first fight back.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand where you're coming from, but it's from a place of hindsight.

So if Warrington had actually boxed smart, as he was expected to and ran out a 120-108 winner, would you be singing Hearns praises about what a brilliant match maker Eddie is? Or would you, like the majority of fans would (including me), be saying "why did they get this no-mark Mexican over for this waste of time? He had only fought other Mexican bums so he wasn't really a monster banger like his record suggests....".

Not sure Hearn, or Warrington himself were to know that he couldn't fight at pull peak after 16 months off. Or more, they probably did and this was supposed to be a walkover that has spectacularly backfired. On the 5 Live podcast Josh even suggested it wasn't until the last few weeks he had to "make this guy into a monster" in his head. So he was probably, absolutely underestimating him. Nor were they to know that unless he has 10,000 Leeds fans singing he would shit the bed either.

So in hindsight it was bad match making. Eddie should have known better and let Josh sit it out until fans are allowed back, and then got him in with UK fighter with a low KO ratio for his first fight back.
    If he bowled Lara over, Naturally we’re not gonna say it was great matchmaking, because it’s a fundamental part of Hearn’s job to get it right.
    And I didn’t expect Warrington to box smart, he’s no Sugar Ray. He’s a pressure high volume fighter.
    And I know records can look over inflated, buy 22-2 with 14 ko’s ? If that was a Brit’s record, they would be fighting for a World title.
    Basically, decisions have been made, and now they have to get on with it.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Mexicans and South Americans regularly “upset” UK fighters if they are given a chance.
    Examples
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Mexicans and South Americans regularly “upset” UK fighters if they are given a chance.
    Examples
    Maybe "regularly" isn't quite the case. But over the years, there have been a fair few upsets in this kind of mould, where a tough, rugged South American has upset the home fighter or blasted them out unexpectedly.
    And then there are even greater numbers of these guys getting shafted on cards

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Examples
    Maybe "regularly" isn't quite the case. But over the years, there have been a fair few upsets in this kind of mould, where a tough, rugged South American has upset the home fighter or blasted them out unexpectedly.
    Sergio Martínez beat our Richard Williams twice before he became well known around the world.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Examples
    Examples please

Just to be clear- are we suggesting that it happens in the UK to UK fighters more often than in other parts of the world to fighters from other parts of the world?

p.s. sergio martinez is a crap example because he became one of the global elite, we are looking for tough rugged (limited) South American upsetters

ill give you an example from another part of the world, Carlos Baldomir UD Zab Judah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Examples please

Just to be clear- are we suggesting that it happens in the UK to UK fighters more often than in other parts of the world to fighters from other parts of the world?
    Not sure if the op was suggesting that or not. I would imagine it happens everywhere equally.

p.s. sergio martinez is a crap example because he became one of the global elite, we are looking for tough rugged (limited) South American upsetters

ill give you an example from another part of the world, Carlos Baldomir UD Zab Judah

I didn't mean to limit it to JUST fighters from South America, but any who come from abroad with limited knowledge of them often from tough parts of the world....

Prescott starching Khan is the one that jumps out immediately.
    Kiko Martinez went over to Ireland as an unknown and blasted unbeaten touted prospect Gernard Dunne inside a round.
    He was UK based but Mongolian Tseveenpurev knocked out the unbeaten Derry Mathews
    Roman Martinez came over and beat Nicky Cook early in his career, though he may very well have been the favourite
    Frankie Gavin beaten by Leonard Bundu
    Wasn't Kovalev something of an unknown when he knocked out Nathan Cleverley?
    The ultimate journeyman Youssef Al Hamidi handed Anthony Crolla his first loss

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn’t think Lara was that impressive. Slow footed, lots of amazingly novice mistakes - punching out of range, crossing his feet.

Warrington looked like he didn’t want to be there from the start. Came in cold, no sweat on, kept glancing at Lara across the ring. Once the bell rang, he looked like a club fighter who couldn’t punch hard.

Classy by Lara, making sure Warrington was getting medical attention and not celebrating.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prescott starching Khan is the one that jumps out immediately.
    Kiko Martinez went over to Ireland as an unknown and blasted unbeaten touted prospect Gernard Dunne inside a round.
    He was UK based but Mongolian Tseveenpurev knocked out the unbeaten Derry Mathews
    Roman Martinez came over and beat Nicky Cook early in his career, though he may very well have been the favourite
    Frankie Gavin beaten by Leonard Bundu
    Wasn't Kovalev something of an unknown when he knocked out Nathan Cleverley?
    The ultimate journeyman Youssef Al Hamidi handed Anthony Crolla his first loss
    some good examples

Although i dont think any of them really come in the category of unknown limited fighter coming to the UK and surprising a UK prospect

Prescott Khan maybe but Prescott had 18 fights and 18 KOs and khan was seen as chinny back then so i think everyone thought it was a big test

i did at least, i was in Venice when that happened so didnt watch it live, had to find an internet cafe to watch it the next day, must have been before the time of smart phones

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn said that the rematch will happen later this year at Headingley Cricket Ground in Leeds. That should help Josh with a full crowd.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information