Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
Hearns match making is very poor a young hungry guy that can punch against a World Champion that had not fought in 16 month Warrington looked staler than a two month old sliced loaf.
I don't think that's true, this kid was supposed to come here get outboxed, take his money and go back home....It was the same kind of fight Eddie (and all other promoters) puts his fighters in 8 out of 10 fights....
No one was talking about this dangerous banger from Mexico to be wary of before tonight. He'd never fought outside of South America and had a very mediocre record, but, granted a pretty high KO rate.

We've seen it time and again over the years where no-name fighter comes on over from a tough country, not a noted record, often never fought outside of their country, maybe with plenty of stoppage wins...but they are taken for granted. But they turn out to be tough bastards who can take a shot and throw a good dig back and it derails the fighter.

It happened numerous times over the years, usually with promising talents still working their way at domestic level, rather than on a world stage.

Like with Khan when Prescott blasted him out.
Derry Mathews promising early career obliterated by that Mongolian lad who fought out of the UK.
Kiki Martinez came over from Spain and leathered that Irish lad Bernard Dunne inside a round.

It's not necessarily bad match making...it happens!

there have been plenty more through the years but those are the ones off the top of my head and Warrington-Lara is in the same mould as this.
No, I have to agree with @Dia bando, it wasn’t very clever matchmaking, and I’ll tell you why.
It’s not because Lara is a great fighter or could be a world champ, because I don’t think he can. He’s very open, very wild, he’ll get caught plenty by a top class boxer.
That sounds like I’m not giving credit to Lara, which isn’t the case, top marks to him, but I just feel he’ll come short.
The reasons it was poor matchmaking are that he had 5 fights in the last year, and his KO record shows he can bang.
Warrington’s strengths are all about energy and work rate, and with 16 months out of the ring, that is always going to be affected.
I still think the biggest factor is how much energy Warrington gets from his fans, but we can’t do anything about that.
Maybe we are not giving Lara credit but Warrington was absolutely terrible.
Hearn has put it down to ring rust boxing is about levels on Josh's performance he has dropped a few levels.
Would you say on that performance would you fancy him over any of the other champions in his division.?