Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Liam Williams v Demetrius Andrade

Demetrius Andrade v Liam Williams: Welshman ready for 'life-changing' world title shot

Liam Williams says his "mind-blowing" shot at WBO world middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade can change his life if he can secure an upset win.

The Welshman, 28, faces undefeated American Andrade, 33, in Hollywood, Florida, on Saturday night.

Williams has won seven successive fights since back-to-back losses to Liam Smith in 2017 to earn his chance.

"I believe this is my time, I am coming away with that belt," Williams told the 5 Live Boxing Podcast.

Mandatory challenger Williams is an underdog against Andrade, who has claimed titles in two weight divisions, but says he is fully confident he will win and become Wales' 13th world champion.

"This is a big chance I need to grab with both hands and I am going to, you are going to see an impressive performance from me on Saturday," Williams said.

"I feel like most of the country [Wales] is behind me. You do get one or two haters, but the majority are behind me and have been following my journey back from the setbacks and stuff and a lot of them appreciate how hard I have worked, and how much time and effort I have put into it.

"Sometimes I have to sit back and pinch myself. I was a young kid watching people like myself do this kind of thing and I was amazed by it.

"So to be here here now, making everyone proud, making the country proud, it is unbelievable. It is mind-blowing, to be honest with you.

"If I win this I'll be a massive star in Wales and in Britain. I'm just very excited, it's a big opportunity and for me to win this it's going to be life-changing for me."

[IMG][/IMG]

Williams' route to the world stage has not been an easy one, with his journey filled with more troughs than peaks.

In 2014, following hand surgery that had not fixed a problem Williams was suffering with, he was told he would have to retire. He was 22. His then trainer, Gary Lockett, told him to seek a second opinion.

"I had another operation and I've never looked back," Williams said.

However, the next years were anything but easy.

He suffered back-to-back losses to Smith in 2017, the first after suffering a horrendous cut, the second on a majority decision in a contest many feel Williams won.

However, those losses were nothing compared to what he endured the year before.

Williams was present when his close friend and stablemate at the time, Nick Blackwell, was put into an induced coma after a loss to Chris Eubank Jr in April 2016.

He was also at ringside six months later to support another stablemate, Dale Evans, in a fight in Glasgow that saw Evans' opponent Mike Towell suffer a brain injury that resulted in his death.

"It's unusual for one terrible incident like this to happen in your career," Williams told BBC Sport Wales. "But to happen twice and with the second happening six months later? It was horrible and it really got to me."

Williams sought a fresh start in 2018, splitting with friend and long-time trainer Lockett to link up with Dominic Ingle.

It means Williams has been dividing his time between Sheffield and Wales for the past three years, missing time with his fiancee and daughter, but his results since - with seven straight wins - have spoken volumes.

Williams feels his time has arrived, even after enduring a year-long wait for this fight because of Covid-19 restrictions.

"I respect Andrade. He has to be respected for what he has done - he has achieved a lot," he added.

"But he doesn't want to fight me. I'm a mandatory challenger, he wants the bigger names. This is great timing for me.

"I have prepared long and hard. I couldn't be any more prepared. Now is my time."

Andrade, a world champion at light-middleweight and middleweight who has won all 29 of his fights, including last time out against Luke Keeler, has been clear that he is unimpressed with the calibre of his mandatory opponent - as evidenced by his exchange with BBC boxing pundit Steve Bunce.

"It's not who I wanted to fight, but here we go. I am here, this is what I have to do, put the bricks on him real quick and send him on his way," Andrade told the Costello and Bunce podcast.

Andrade, who has constantly belittled his opponent in the build-up and who says his next fight will be in WWE against Baron Corbin, says he has dismissed Williams' chances based on his career record.

"Everyone says he is a tough guy. Well I am the greatest in the world," Andrade added.

"I don't understand why people say he is tough. Why isn't he the champion? He lost twice against Liam Smith and how tough is Liam Smith?

"Why am I going to be afraid of a guy who couldn't beat Liam Smith?

"I'm not underestimating him, but he had two losses to Liam Smith and Liam Smith is not the toughest."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56771906
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this the sticky then? Anyone watching the undercard right now?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Espino v Mcleod SMW's up now
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    What channel is it on in the UK ?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    What channel is it on in the UK ?

I am watching it on the PC. Don't think it is on the telly. DAZN is only £1:99 a month to watch and I think you can pay month by month. Probably a way to watch it as an app on the TV too.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2 rnds to nothing for Espino. Far more accurate.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3 to Espino. Espino has 5 gears and a manual gear box and Mcleod is stuck with Park or Drive.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

4 to Espino. He has been touching Mcleod with that left to the body all night and is now hurting him with crisp right hands to the head.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mcleod badly cut on the right eye. Espino spinning him like a kebab and it shoud be stopped before he ends up as filling for a pitta.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gongora v Pearson now.

The Reff is called Frank Gentile
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pearson hesitant to the point of being frozen like an Iceland special. Rd 1 Gongora
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gongora taking the centre of the ring and fight to Pearson in the 1st round.

1 nil Gongora

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gongora too sharp and big for Pearson causing damage when he wants in the 2nd round. Too easy for him.

2 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pearson too passive and taking a beating by Gongora in the 3rd.

3 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pearson is smiling and messing about in the 4th. Idiot. Hope Gongora knocks him out.

4 nil.Gongora

Thread Information