Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Whyte v Povetkin 2 - 27/3/21 - Gibraltar - Sky Sports PPV/DAZN

Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin feature on Gibraltar £2 coin

Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin feature on a new £2 coin issued by the government of Gibraltar.

The British heavyweight and Russia's Povetkin are etched on the coin to commemorate their rematch which takes place in Gibraltar on 27 March.

"It is a great honour for someone like me to go down in history as the first boxer, and first black man, to feature on sterling currency," said Whyte.

"There's a lot of black people that have done much bigger things than me."

He added: "It's a really special occasion for me and my family. This is why we should never give up on children that come from disadvantaged and troubled backgrounds.

"I can't believe that someone that comes from where I come from and has been through what I've been through can be honoured in this way."

While Gibraltar - an overseas British territory - uses the pound, the island's currency is not used in the United Kingdom.

Campaigners have asked the UK government to feature more BAME faces on its currency and Chancellor Rishi Sunak asked the Royal Mint to come up with new designs last year.

BAME faces have featured on commemorative coins but not on UK legal tender currency.

The first coin featuring Whyte and Povetkin was struck at Tower Mint in London on Tuesday.

Povetkin, 41, stunned Whyte with a fifth-round knockout when they met in August.

The winner of their rematch will be well positioned to contest one of the heavyweight division's four world-title belts but may have to wait for proposed fights between current champions Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury to take place first.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56429446
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is there a live crowd for this one then? Being a small Island I thought maybe Gibraltar would have quite a good chance of controlling the Covid spread.

I can see Whyte getting stopped again if he is too eager to close the show early.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Is there a live crowd for this one then? Being a small Island I thought maybe Gibraltar would have quite a good chance of controlling the Covid spread.

I can see Whyte getting stopped again if he is too eager to close the show early.
    I think there will be a small crowd which is another reason to have the fight in Gibraltar.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gibraltar isn't an island :S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's fight week!

Think I've made up my mind that this one will go the way the first one should have gone in the eyes of Eddie. Whyte should be too big and strong for the older man and eventually stop him.

But of course, what happened last time is always a possibility, Povetkin has always been a good operater with big power. I just don't see that lightning striking twice.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Narrow peninsula then (:
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Narrow peninsula then (:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Island_Games

They do let them play in the island games though :S

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only reason we all keep rating Povetkin, and saying what a solid fighter he is, is because the depth of the heavyweight division is absolutely shit at the moment!

A very good amateur, admittedly .... but his Olympic gold medal match was a walkover win over the (very ironically) named Mohamad Aly.

As a pro, he is a small heavyweight in modern terms. Solid technique, decent chin. He doesn’t do anything spectacularly well does he?

He is also a proven drug cheat.

Would he have been anything more than a journeyman/gatekeeper type guy in the 1990’s (can anyone see him beating Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield) or in the 1980’s (Tyson would have murdered him). In the 1970’s I doubt he would be top ten.

Ali, Liston, Patterson, Williams and Foley would have toyed with him. Marciano, Charles and Walcott would beat him. Let’s not even put Povetkin in the same sentence as Joe Louis.

If Whyte can’t decisively and impressively defeat him at age 40, then he should pack his career in as a waste of everyone’s time!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Whyte loses this he's fucked his career up.
    He'll be below the likes of Parker and ranked around Chisora level.
    Mad when you think what a good position he was in pre Povetkin.
    He's had a 20 week camp and brought in Harold Knight who helped Lennox out back in the day so he's got no excuses here.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looks like it's paid off physically
    Whyte looks in career best shape for this.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/747891/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just such an odd place for a fight. Recall it was a bit of a fortress and choke point during the second World war for British navy but fook all about previous boxing . Same time zone I'm assuming so might possibly miss it live but think Povetkin can pull it off again if he gets out of the first couple of rounds.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Just such an odd place for a fight. Recall it was a bit of a fortress and choke point during the second World war for British navy but fook all about previous boxing . Same time zone I'm assuming so might possibly miss it live but think Povetkin can pull it off again if he gets out of the first couple of rounds.
    Whyte has been training near Gibraltar. He did not want to come to England to self isolate as he did the last time. Gibraltar is an hour ahead of us.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dillian Whyte weighs in lighter for heavyweight rematch with Alexander Povetkin on Saturday

Dillian Whyte has weighed in at 17st 9lbs 3oz, while Povetkin came in at 16st 4lbs and 4oz ahead of their 'Rumble On The Rock' heavyweight rematch in Gibraltar

Dillian Whyte has shed significant weight for the Alexander Povetkin rematch and promised a punishing revenge victory.

The British contender tipped the scales at 17st 9lbs 3oz, with Povetkin coming in at 16st 4lbs 4oz for their second heavyweight showdown in Gibraltar on Saturday, live on Sky Sports Box Office.

Whyte, who weighed 18st 6oz for the first fight, is attempting to avenge last summer's knockout loss, but hinted that he intends to clinically break down Russia's former WBA champion.

"It means everything to me," Whyte told Sky Sports. "I've come in half-a-stone lighter - it wasn't deliberate. Just small adjustments.

"I expect a tough 12-round fight.

"Every time I step into the ring I give my all. This is nothing different. You can create pressure in yourself if you start listening to people.

"I will stop him. Don't expect me to come out and be wild because there are ways of doing things.

"Fight him, be physical, box him. But I am looking for the stoppage.

"We have different ways of pressing him. Standing in front, but not being in front of him, using angles and my legs."

Povetkin was slightly heavier, four pounds more than when he defeated Whyte with a huge uppercut, but continued to play down suggestions that he is targeting a similarly explosive win.

"What happens in the ring, it's a different story, but it will be respect from my side the whole time," Povetkin told Sky Sports.

"No thoughts about that [a knockout win]. My goal is to be focused on the fight and show beautiful boxing, that's it.

"It will be beautiful, interesting boxing. That's what I can say."

Campbell Hatton, son of former world champion Ricky, made the lightweight limit for his pro debut against Jesus Ruiz on a bumper bill.

Whyte's heavyweight protege Fabio Wardley also steps up in class against former world title challenger Eric Molina.

The undefeated 26-year-old weighed in at 232lbs, with Molina coming in heavier at 251lbs.

Ahead of a British title battle, Ted Cheeseman and James Metcalf both were comfortably inside the 154lb super-welterweight mark.

Unbeaten rivals Chris Kongo and Michael McKinson had to be separated on the stage as they became embroiled in a heated face-off after coming in at 146lbs for their welterweight fight.

Erik Pfeifer and Nick Webb also collide in a heavyweight clash, while Youssef Khoumari's super-featherweight fight with Kane Baker kicks off the live action.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...in-on-saturday

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anna looking lovely as usual

not a bad scrap that one, I was expecting Kongo to get a dodgy result there but the right man won

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Looks like it's paid off physically
    Whyte looks in career best shape for this.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/747891/
    https://e0.365dm.com/21/03/2048x1152...20210326124949
    If that’s the best shape of his career, he might as well knock it on the head! Povetkin don’t look in much better shape either tbf.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information