I honestly don't give a shit as #1, I don't live in California... and #2, I'm not into shopping at retail stores. So there's that

However, these excerpts from the legislation in question are good for a laugh.

PART 2.57. Gender Neutral Retail Departments
55.7. The Legislature finds and declares both of the following:
(a) Unjustified differences in similar products that are traditionally marketed either for girls or for boys can be more easily identified by the consumer if similar items are displayed closer to one another in one, undivided area of the retail sales floor.
(b) Keeping similar items that are traditionally marketed either for girls or for boys separated makes it more difficult for the consumer to compare the products and incorrectly implies that their use by one gender is inappropriate.

Part (a) is just some convoluted gobbledygook written by someone obviously on drugs. "Unjustified differences in similar products that are traditionally marketed for girls or for boys...." Whoo... gives you a headache just reading that drivel. Anyway, the part about the displays being closer to one another is harmless enough. Pain in the ass for those in retail floor design now having to toe the line on totally useless legislation... but what the hell. Those in retail floor design should've studied something else.

Part (b) is where the side-splitting comedy kicks into gear. Separation of similar items "marketed either for girls or for boys makes it more difficult for the consumer to compare the products and..." (chuckle, guffaw) "... incorrectly implies that their use by one gender is inappropriate."

Oh STOP it you people! You're killing me here!!

Seriously. This is what some people in the state legislature get paid thousands and thousands of dollars to do. On some level it stops being funny.