Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Literally woke up to the Earth shattering news that one toy maker will no longer designate a "Mr or Mrs" Potato Head ffs . Have to be real here that sounds pretty short bus. As far as toy sections a lot of these are not officially 'designated' that I'm aware of. Cloths yes but the last time I strolled through a toy aisle..for a friend of course..the frilly Barbies were just down from the action figures and model airplanes. Guarantee you'll piss the kiddos off more, and the parents, because what is the one thing a kid hates doing with parents...shopping for cloths in the first place. They want to get in and out. That bill would seem to not be directed at Mon & Pop small businesses. By definition it applies to stores with a 500 employee base per location . Walmart doesn't even have 500 employees on location. Definitely not as far as cashiers are concerned. Every State has ass backwards laws and proposals on the books. Guess we all take that into account choosing to live their. People in parts of Ca. are more outraged that it cost almost 2K in monthly rent to call a micro studio apartment home. New York restricts the size of your soft drinks. So Mississippi puts a law on the book that you cannot restrict the size of a customers soft drink. First world problems USA.

https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato...814657be41a9d8

Here's an article on the topic.

Seems Hasbro (now pressured to be known simply as Has, without the "bro") was made aware of Mr. Potato Head's claim that the "Mr." part was simply the gender it was assigned at birth.

Somewhere there's a thread that needs dredging up. Something about companies caving like a line of dominoes under the hilarious, but persistently annoying hardball tactics from this certain lobby that will remain unnamed for the time being.
ok the Has-bro part. Can't knock that. I'm far more concerned though with the State Government mandating anything, let alone how private businesses be required by law to run it's operations. The free market has a wonderful way of sorting this out. But also all the power to a business that goes with the whole 'non boy non girl' signage in it's location. 'Unisex'..I really don't care. That's a choice for the business, sales etc doesn't mean I won't shop there. Personally though when I'm shopping for anything at all I want to get affairs handled, grab my merchandise and go on with life. I think we'd be surprised how many opposites actually peruse the other sections for the occasional items. In another lifetime I actually dated this girl, just smoking and frankly out of my league but hey sometimes you hit the lotto. The first time things went all freaky deaky and we rounded the bases my mind was blown...this girl had a thing for boxer shorts. She'd grab a pack right off the mens shelf rather than the frilly lace stuff. Found myself not at all concerned about what hardware she packed out of the factory...verified she was the real deal . But I was more worried about making sure these were the boxers we bought together and not some other dudes she pocketed.

In a way I do believe some of the push for non distinguished orientation etc almost feels like a concession?! It almost gives up the fight to buck the system in your own way. Back in the day if a 'Tomboy' wanted to wear boots and put baseball cards in her spokes and hang out with dudes we didn't call he a dike or whatever we called her cooooool. Shit man we put Aqua Net and gel in out hair to get it to stand up ffs . Many a dude did the earring thing, eyeliner...just like Tommy Morrison . The 'normal' folk would get all homophobic and let the stereotypical slurs fly. Truth is though those weird dudes were shagging more chicks than the haters could count. Kids are tougher than we give them credit for these days and the all inclusivity all the time at every turn can stymie and fail to instill a needed and beneficial individualism. But we also have to admit and realize that many today can be just as hateful and judgmental as ever. Man I'm all over the map here . Time for a drank.

The thing about all this cancel culture stuff is that there's not much any political party can do. They can't legislate against public opinion. In this case the company that makes these things have spent money polling their customers and doing focus groups and decided that the best thing they can do to maintain long term profits with the thing is to do whatever the fuck they've done. Meanwhile you have a percentage of the country losing their shit about a plastic potato and a bunch of politicians telling them they'll fix it if you vote for them.

Public opinion is changing. There are now consequences for being racist or sexually abusing people and so on. Part of the country is having a problem with this and a bunch of politicians are promising to fix it for them but there's nothing they can actually do and in just about every case with those fuckers they have a list of things they'd like to cancel themselves. Just the weight of public opinion has shifted so the old white patriarchy can't enforce their cultural preferences anymore and are having ones they don't like become dominant and it's pissing them all off.