Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo v Saunders - May 8th Unification fight

Billy Joe Saunders mocks Canelo Alvarez’s failed drugs test as Eddie Hearn confirms fight is ON… in new 22ft ring

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14864...ize-drug-test/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saunders team are measuring the ring the minute it's set up in the Stadium so there could be more drama to come

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Billy Joe Saunders: Mexican warns bout is 'more personal'

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez says Billy Joe Saunders' pursuit of him has made Saturday's fight "more personal".

The Mexican, 30, has been called out in recent years by Britain's Saunders, who insists he can land a shock win.
    Saunders did not turn up for the first face-to-face of the week and is angry about the size of Saturday's ring.

"It's always been 20ft and now he wants 24ft," Alvarez told 5 Live Boxing. "If he wants I will give him the whole stadium. I don't care."

"It's a little more personal," added Alvarez, who will risk his WBC and WBA world super-middleweight titles while Saunders puts his WBO belt on the line.

"He's been talking a lot about me for the last four years. In a couple of days it will happen and it's a little more personal."

When the pair did meet face-to-face for the first time on Wednesday, Saunders goaded Alvarez and warned his rival "you have not seen someone with this heart".

At times, Alvarez glared at us across the Zoom divide but also found room to smile, indications of a man so at ease and in control of his emotions on the doorstep of a big fight.

Tyson Fury has said Saunders and his ilk are a different breed. Canelo is a rare one too.

Saturday's bout - which will take place in front of more than 60,000 fans at the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium - will be aired on BBC Radio 5 Live at around 04:00 BST on Sunday morning.

Alvarez says he can recall "very few" occasions where he has felt this way about an opponent.

Saunders' team have pushed for the use of a bigger ring as his evasive style would benefit from added space in which he could move.

Alvarez says Saunders' style will prove "complicated" but he does not expect surprises from his rival, adding: "I don't see anything that would worry me.

"At this level I have to adapt to anything and I will be ready for anything. I know his qualities and know he's an elusive fighter but I trained 100% for this to show I'm in my best moment right now."

Saunders - unbeaten in 30 contests - is a betting underdog against a fighter who has lost just once in 58 fights.

Alvarez admits he will go after the fourth significant belt at super-middleweight if he beats Saunders.

His rise from entering the sport after being bullied while selling ice creams as a teenager has seen him win world titles in four weight categories across a professional career spanning almost 16 years.

"I love boxing and what I do," he added. "It's something to show people you can reach your goals and do big things. I used to sell popsicles and look at what I have done now. It's good to show people."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56999903

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​When are they fighting?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    ​When are they fighting?

El sinko de Mayo
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I”ll get my coat

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​When are they fighting?

El sinko de Mayo

El Belfast sinko de Mayo

Card starts about 1am GMT so ring walk for Canelo/Saunders aboot 4a.m GMT
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I”ll get my coat
    Please do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BoxingWave runs through a breakdown of the fight. Good viewing.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez snubs rival Billy Joe Saunders following row over ring size

Alvarez and Saunders came face to face for the second time in 24 hours and the Mexican was in no mood for pleasantries

Canelo Alvarez refused to shake hands with Billy Joe Saunders ahead of their unification clash this weekend.

The build-up to the meeting of the two super-middleweight world champions, has been dominated by a row over the size of the ring.

Alvarez, who holds two belts, finally relented and gave in to Saunders' demands after the Brit threatened to fly home.

The rivals will now fight in a 22-foot ring instead of the 18-foot structure which was originally in place at the AT&T stadium.

But when Saunders offered his hand at Thursday's press conference, Alvarez declined and looked away. The pair did later bump fists following a low-key media appearance.

And earlier, Alvarez admitted he has been waiting to punish Saunders for years of insults aimed in his direction.

“This fight is different because he has four years talking s*** about me,” he said.

“Before the first Golovkin fight he is there talking s*** about me; that's why it is different for me.

"My mind is calm. Saturday night it is going to be different, he is in a different level fight now. He's going to see what is going to happen.”

Saunders, however, is confident he can extend his unbeaten record with the biggest win of his 12-year career.

I brush opinions off because I know what goes through my head and my mind, and what I have done in my career is through the will and want to win, and the day I lose that, I won’t put a pair of gloves on again," he said.

“I can only control what I am in control of and that myself, not what is outside the ring. It’s going to be a great fight it’s one I’ve wanted for years and it’s finally landed. There’s a lot at stake for both of us.

“I’ve been the underdog before, I’ve been the away fighter before, it’s not a new position, but I’m just in with a better opponent this time. "

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...billy-24055935

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Billy Joe Saunders mocks Canelo Alvarez’s failed drugs test as Eddie Hearn confirms fight is ON… in new 22ft ring

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14864...ize-drug-test/
    did billy joe mention his nasal spray?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im gonna kip on the couch and have the tv on low volume, i have a good record of waking up at the right time

Im probly about 12 and 1
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    im gonna kip on the couch and have the tv on low volume, i have a good record of waking up at the right time

Im probly about 12 and 1
    I am setting the alarm. I normally stay up all night but the undercard does not look good enough for that.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AL THE MONEY Canelo Alvarez’s £300m DAZN fight contract broken down with P4P star exiting deal after just three of 11 bouts

SAUL 'CANELO' ALVAREZ'S £300million DAZN contract - the biggest in sporting history - was cut short last year after just three of the 11 bouts had been completed.

The Mexican parted ways with the broadcaster and his promotional outfit Golden Boy - fronted by Oscar de la Hoya - after a dispute over the terms of the deal.

It lasted less than two years having been struck before his fight against Rocky Fielding at the end of 2018.
    The only other fights he undertook while the contract was ongoing were against Danny Jacobs and Sergey Kovalev.

And he has now opened up about the reasons why he decided it was time to leave the lucrative contract and become a free agent.

Speaking to In Depth with Graham Besinger, he said: "Look, I don't like to talk much about people, but I've been a very loyal person, always. And I was very loyal, always with Golden Boy. [De La Hoya] is not Golden Boy. He doesn't do anything in Golden Boy. He's worried about drinking, and being involved in other thing.

"The decisions are made by other people. When Richard Schaefer left Golden Boy, he took all the boxers to PBC. He took all of them. And he also wanted to take me - and I was the only boxer that stayed with Golden Boy, because I’m a loyal man.

"But then, later I understood why everyone had gone and why Richard Schaefer left. Because those who are in Golden Boy, they are only looking after their own benefit, not the boxer's benefit.

"There's no loyalty there [in Golden Boy]. None. They don't even know what that is. We were involved in a lawsuit in Miami [with All Star Boxing], which I think we would win because they were lying about everything.

"So we won the lawsuit, but the jury determined that I indeed wasn't under contract, but I had to give [All Star Boxing] eight million dollars. But before that, when I signed before the fight with Cotto with Golden Boy, I came to an agreement with [Golden Boy on the All Star lawsuit].

"And that's when I became aware that they were only concerned about themselves, not about me."

Canelo was earning around £28m per fight but wanted to earn more if he took on one of the bigger names such as Gennady Golovkin.

However, he insists DAZN wanted to pay him the same fee irrespective of who the opponent was, something he refused to get on board with.

"Yes. It was something completely different. I my contract, I said, the fights are for such amount, but if I fight against Golovkin, or Mayweather, or a name like that, that'll have to be negotiated," he added.

"Because I'm not going to fight for the same amount. We negotiate it. But no. Golden Boy had already promised [those fights] and had already signed with DAZN that I was going to for sure fight with Golovkin for the same amount. And they never told me that."

Alvarez left Golden Boy and DAZN in 2020 but immediately returned to the streaming platform on a two-fight deal with British promoter Eddie Hearn.

The first fight of that deal was a third round stoppage of Avni Yildirim in February, with the second a unification clash against Billy Joe Saunders this weekend.

Canelo and Saunders came face to face earlier this week after a heated argument over the size of the ring nearly led to Britain's WBO super-middleweight champion flying home.

The pair will clash at the AT&T Stadium in Texas in front of 70,000 fans on Saturday night.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxin...ht-contract-2/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Joe Saunders relentlessly booed by Canelo Alvarez fans as both men make weight ahead of unification fight

Billy Joe Saunders was booed relentlessly by Canelo Alvarez’s fans, but appeared completely unfazed at their weigh-in on Friday.

The Brit is clearly in enemy territory taking on the Mexican in Dallas, Texas.

Just a small group of Saunders’ team managed to get permission to make the trip – Tyson Fury among them. He has no travelling fans in attendance.

“These fans will push me to win, these fans will not bother me,” he said after the weigh-in.

“They’re all for Canelo. They’re cheering for him now, but on the way out they’ll be cheering for me.”

Both men made weight successfully – Saunders at 167.8lbs and Canelo at 167.4lbs

The pair will square off with three of the four major super-middleweight world titles on the line.

Canelo comes in with the WBA and WBC belts, while Saunders owns the WBO title.

It appeared the fight was in jeopardy earlier this week when the Brit’s team declared that they were going home after a dispute over the size of the ring.

Saunders demanded a 24ft ring while Canelo’s team initially put forward an 18ft version. The Brits then asked for 22ft while the Mexicans insisted on 20ft.

However, this was eventually resolved with Canelo himself declaring that he didn’t care about the issue and so Saunders got his way with the 22ft ring.

Saunders is a huge underdog against Canelo, the man widely considered boxing’s pound-for-pound king and who has already won world titles in four different weight classes.

The brash Brit though, is sure of victory, which he declared would rank above the likes of Fury’s win over Wladimir Klitschko in Dusseldorf in 2015.

Saunders said: “This will be the greatest win by a Brit abroad. ‘Canelo’ has defeated six Brits, I’m the last body they’ve got to chuck out because there is no-one else coming through in the super-middleweight division who has a better chance than myself.

“People may have different views, but I have my own views and my own vision. I’m the seventh Brit and if I don’t do it, then I don’t think anyone can do it.

“So hopefully everything goes well and the main thing is that it’s a fair shake of the dice because I’m up against it with the opponent. I don’t want to be up against everything else as well.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/8...ders-weigh-in/

Thread Information