Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo v Saunders - May 8th Unification fight

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I had Saunders level. He fought the fight that he was always going to fight and Canelo was clearly being given rounds on the idea that he had intentions rather than punches connected or any kind of work-rate gulf on display. I can see how you may have had Canelo up on the cards but I still don't see how you can only give BJS two rounds. If Tibbs made the decision then you can't blame the fighter for following his corners advice. Canelo is a brutal finisher and you have to respect that kind of eagerness to fight such a range of challengers, but the judging was Billy Bullshit all night long.
    It it worth watching the entire fight? or just the highlights?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My alarm did not work and missed the fight.

Where is Canelo getting this much power?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Let’s see if he gets the same abuse as Dubois.
    Yep. And ironically, he gave Dubois more stick than anyone!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Let’s see if he gets the same abuse as Dubois.
    Yep. And ironically, he gave Dubois more stick than anyone!
    Eubank Jnr is also teasing him now.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I had Saunders level. He fought the fight that he was always going to fight and Canelo was clearly being given rounds on the idea that he had intentions rather than punches connected or any kind of work-rate gulf on display. I can see how you may have had Canelo up on the cards but I still don't see how you can only give BJS two rounds. If Tibbs made the decision then you can't blame the fighter for following his corners advice. Canelo is a brutal finisher and you have to respect that kind of eagerness to fight such a range of challengers, but the judging was Billy Bullshit all night long.
    It it worth watching the entire fight? or just the highlights?

It is the kind of fight in which a highlight reel would be a bit pointless. Canelo is very, very good. That Saunders was able to make him miss consistently and tag him in every round was a surprise to many but Sanders lack of real spiteful power always meant it was going to be an uphill struggle. In a way it was a classic Boxer vs Fighter but despite the full stop ending it would be ridiculous to suggest the Canelo was not also a very nuanced and accomplished boxer. In fact it is hard to argue against him being the most rounded and complete fighter active at this point in the sport and the fact that Saunders managed at times to make him look ordinary is the real story of the fight.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is the best p4p fighter today. What he is doing going up the weights and beating world champions is insane.

The rest can not prove themselves the best at their own weight like Crawford/Spence. He is embarrassing them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saunders did say he would put his life on the line in the ring. These things can come back and bite you regardless.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice extract from Post fight. An exchange between Canelo and another pro fighter.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Joe Saunders' 'quit' comments come back to haunt him after Canelo Alvarez defeat

Billy Joe Saunders did not emerge for the ninth round of his world super-middleweight unification bout against Canelo Alvarez after suffering an eye injury

Billy Joe Saunders quit on his stool after the eighth round of his gruelling world super-middleweight title bout against Canelo Alvarez.

The Brit had suffered a devastating eye injury and was pulled out by his corner with his illustrious opponent ahead on all three of the judges' scorecards.

Saunders had caused Canelo problems but ultimately couldn't do enough to retain his WBO title, which the Mexican added to his WBA and WBC straps.

Late last year, Saunders was critical of heavyweight Daniel Dubois after he took a knee to concede defeat to domestic rival Joe Joyce.

The 31-year-old said: “Fighters get in that ring and we know what’s on the line.

“Every fighter needs to understand and the fans need to understand that. In the past, we’ve seen a lot of tragedies in boxing, deaths in the ring.

“Before I go on one knee I’d like to go out on my back with my pulse stopped.

“Everyone has their own thought process in the ring and what went on in the ring I don’t know. He obviously felt he could not continue.

“You look at the greats, the eyes, the face, we get through that. That’s the path in life we choose for a living. We punch people in the face and get punched in the face.

“If my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse.

“I don’t agree with a man taking the knee and letting the ref count him out.”

After his defeat by Canelo, Saunders was taken to hospital with a suspected fractured orbital bone. His trainer mark Tibbs claimed the 31-year-old could not see.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...ments-24069985

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as many wont want to see him get another pay day there's still quite a lot of fights out there for Saunders if he was to carry on...

Rematch vs Eubank Jr with their bad blood could be interesting....Jr is possibly a more refined boxer since their first.
    Callum Smith for the bragging rights of best in Britain at SMW.
    He could probably have a go at Golovkin, get on his bike and nick a points win
    An ex champ to feed to Benevidez, Munguia or Charlo?

This loss doesn't make him irrelevant in and around the middle division...and we all know he has no shame, so won't go into hiding fully....of course his attitude and dedication to the sport might change some. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury after he said Billy Joe Saunders was going to stop Canelo

In all seriousness in case anybody is wondering what Canelo Alvarez just did to Billy Joe Saunders Face

It was obvious from the bruising, lack of swelling and reaction that he had broken his orbital or cheek. Boxing is a sport, not a bar fight and yes we all know what Billy said about Dubois quitting but it would have been outrageously irresponsible to allow a boxer to risk blindness by continuing in those circumstances - arguably criminal.

But was a good fight. Saunders did perform well in spots, credit to him. I had it level at the time of the stoppage. When Canelo did decide to turn up the tempo in round 8, you could really see Saunders retreating. Honestly I think fill Canelo scorecards before the fight because the judges had him 3 rounds up.

I also found it funny that the USA commentator called BJ Saunders "A Brit with swag" Obviously doesn't realize that in England "Swag" means stolen property. Then again maybe he does know!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had it even at the time of the stoppage.

For once, Canelo couldn’t effectively counterpunch his opponent. Saunders was very cute in there and Alvarez had to turn into the come forward aggressor very early on. Credit to his skill set that he could do that so well.

Funnily enough, I thought Canelo had massively slowed down by the seventh and that an upset might be on the cards.

The difference in power was tremendous, though. Saunders looked like he was tapping away compared to Alvarez. Suspicious of that really!

Devastating finishing punch, Canelo was looking for that shot all night and was calm enough to persevere with it. Smashed the shit out of Saunders’ eye (His whole face looked like it changed shape).

If it is an eye socket, he did well to finish the round as the pain would have been agonising.

Good win for Alvarez who, despite the doping suspicions, looks more and more like a wholly complete fighter with every outing.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My scoring platform got a good turnout last night with over 30 completed scorecards.

This was the average scorecard with round scores, winning margin % and the most selected reason why the round was won.

For further round by round breakdown there's more charts and data here:
    https://fight-score.com/analysis/sau...round-by-round

For example round 1 scoring is broken down like this.....

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-a...-stats--157512

Punch stats for anyone who cares about that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one knew at the time his eye socket was fractured.

BJS made no attempt to be a “Spartan” and stand up for round 9.

His trainer made the right decision to stop the fight and BJS was content with it.

He’s a multi millionaire and can happily retire on a loss that he cares so much about.

BJS was winning the fight 4-3 in my eyes but Canelo can change the tempo with one punch.

Thread Information