Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vasyl Lomachenko v Devin Haney

The point about the weigh ins is very true. It used to be- for years after the stupid rule change- you weighed in 24 hours early. For this fight, the 'official' weigh in was 4pm. They actually weighed in at 9am. So Haney was a middleweight when he defended his lightweight title. This also greatly helped Nakatani. How would haney do with Hagler? Monzon? The weight games have ruined boxing.
    https://www.youtube.com/live/v8EvY8oEb4k?feature=share

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was high-level boxing
    I had it a draw

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    This is why you should watch fights with sound down.

Haney won the fight. And I have 2 bring race into it. Says something when the blk fighter in his own bkyard is getting booed b4, during n after the fight against a white guy who is not even American.

The dk riding and white ass kissin of Loma from Andre Ward n Tim Bradley n other commentator was incredible. The worship of the white fighter from the crowd. You’d think you was at a Klan rally.

A disgraceful spectacle anti black hatred. As I say watch the fight with sound down n you’ll c Haney won the fight.
    Interesting observation…. So if I understand you correctly, you feel that Andre Ward and Tim Bradly’s racism, along with the predominantly black crowd’s racist support of Loma swayed and influenced the perceptions of those watching the fight on TV. Is that correct or did I misunderstand?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched the fight. On my own and while I didn’t turn the volume down , I tried to ignore it.
    I’m gonna go against popular opinion and say I had Haney winning 7-5 . I’ll be honest, I can see how people gave Loma rounds , his movement is a thing of beauty. But I didn’t see this as some sort of robbery. For the major part , I felt Haney did the better work and controlled a lot of the rounds. For the record, I had :
    Rounds 1 & 2 - Haney
    Rounds 3 & 4 - Loma
    Rounds 5,6 & 7 - Haney
    Round 8 - Loma
    Round 9 - Haney
    Rounds 10 & 11 - Loma
    Round 12 - Haney
    I haven’t looked at the official scorecards, but I’ll look after I posted this.
    Edit: just looked at the cards and mine was closest to Sutherland’s card. We differed on rounds 2 & 4 , but every other round was the same.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 05-22-2023 at 07:44 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post Primo.

Fair assessment, I would question round 2. If you have that to Loma then it would have been a draw. Close fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Good post Primo.

Fair assessment, I would question round 2. If you have that to Loma then it would have been a draw. Close fight.
    very fair point . and it just goes to show that in this instance , the calls for "fix" and "Robbery" aren't realistic.
    I feel bad for Loma, and he showed after the fight what a man he is and how gutted he was ! Because he genuinely believes he won the fight and there is nothing wrong with that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think when the rounds are close, people tend to start looking at the overall fight to see which fighter got the better of the other and who was probably to fold if the fight went 15.

Here's an interesting tidbit that broke yesterday from Malignaggi and a few other sources. Haney resigned with Top Rank 2 days before the fight. This was to be his last fight on his previous contract with top rank. Shades of Pacquiao/Bradley 1 coming to mind.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I think when the rounds are close, people tend to start looking at the overall fight to see which fighter got the better of the other and who was probably to fold if the fight went 15.

Here's an interesting tidbit that broke yesterday from Malignaggi and a few other sources. Haney resigned with Top Rank 2 days before the fight. This was to be his last fight on his previous contract with top rank. Shades of Pacquiao/Bradley 1 coming to mind.
    How so?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Just watched the fight. On my own and while I didn’t turn the volume down , I tried to ignore it.
    I’m gonna go against popular opinion and say I had Haney winning 7-5 . I’ll be honest, I can see how people gave Loma rounds , his movement is a thing of beauty. But I didn’t see this as some sort of robbery. For the major part , I felt Haney did the better work and controlled a lot of the rounds. For the record, I had :
    Rounds 1 & 2 - Haney
    Rounds 3 & 4 - Loma
    Rounds 5,6 & 7 - Haney
    Round 8 - Loma
    Round 9 - Haney
    Rounds 10 & 11 - Loma
    Round 12 - Haney
    I haven’t looked at the official scorecards, but I’ll look after I posted this.
    Edit: just looked at the cards and mine was closest to Sutherland’s card. We differed on rounds 2 & 4 , but every other round was the same.

I didn't have you originally on this scorecard... but added you late.
    Interesting to see how some of us scored the fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting tidbits from the Saddo scoring:

1. Loma would've won a SD: Master, Spicoli, TitoFan for Loma..... TIC, Primo for Haney

2. There were 3 unanimous rounds:

• 3rd (for Loma)
    • 11th (for Loma)
    • 12th (for Haney)

3. There were four 4-1 rounds:

• 1st (Primo for Haney, rest for Loma)
    • 2nd (Spicoli for Loma, rest for Haney)
    • 9th (Master for Loma, rest for Haney)
    • 10th (Master for Haney, rest for Loma)

4. Halfway through the fight:

• Master, Spicoli had Loma ahead
    • TIC, Primo had Haney ahead
    • TitoFan had fight even

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

How so?

Wait let me rescind that. It may be false. I'm getting contradicting info now. or it could be true but they'll announce it was signed after the fight -- but the reference to Pac/bradley was in regards to the sequence of events that surrounded Pacquiaos contracts with top rank. Every time he thought about breaking free (with free agency pending) from Top Rank, something coincidentally happened. In ring results seem to be affected by out of ring business when it comes to top rank. Not saying it can't happen without, but if it was the case, it wouldn't shock me in the least. It would actually appear to fit right in. The terms of Lomas current contract haven't been revealed. Draw from it what you will.

"Issues relating to fight contracts are no longer new for Pacquiao. In 2006, Pacquiao ignited a legal brawl between Golden Boy and Top Rank after he signed with both companies. Pacquiao upheld the contract he signed with Top Rank in 2006 which was good for four years.

Thereafter, Pacquiao ironed out another deal with Top Rank that was supposed to keep him with the company until December 2013. But sometime in 2012,(Pacquiao /Bradley 1 -June 9 2012- Pac was going to become a promotional free agent- then loses a controversial split decision-- needs to re up with top rank in order to get the rematch-- On the surface, Arum was demanding an investigation into the scorecards... behind the scene, everyone involved knew what happened and pac does a 180 and signs with top rank) the said contract was extended for another year, or until December 2014, with Pacquiao reportedly receiving a signing bonus worth $1 million.

In April 2014, shortly after he defeated Tim Bradley in their rematch, Pacquiao inked a fresh two-year deal with Top Rank, thus extending their partnership until December 2016. This contract is now the subject of heated debate between Pacquiao and Top Rank." Then comes the Jeff Horn fight in July of 2017 and afterwards Pacquiao says he feels like he was set up.

The articles:
    https://www.spin.ph/boxing/here-why-...ry-to-top-rank

https://www.ringtv.com/504126-manny-pacquiao-feels-he-was-set-up-in-jeff-horn-fight/

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/05...achenko-fight/
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Firstly, awesome point by point score Primo and final tally work up Tito. Quality. Talk about fall out and aftermath eh . And that's a good thing, churns the collective interest going forward and gets fans back to actually talking about what happened/will happen in big fights and NOT why big fights are not happening and who's to blame . It's been a few days, finally found full fight hope to rewatch tonight. Reading back thru the thread I stated every round except for the 5th so in fairness need to check that first. I do have to say a lot was rightly made of Haney body work, it was there. But I'm left with first thought being 'to what affect'. Loma actually upped the pace and grew stronger later rounds. Points scored though. This may be a fun one to do an old school 'slow mo' rewatch. Slow mo can be revealing. Also a fight that reflects back to benefit of scoring rounds minute by minute resulting in less 'even/either way' rounds.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

spicoli has it right. it was a quality fight, the scores shouldn't overshadow that
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great work and analysts Tito, really interesting stuff. I think this shows that although this was a relatively difficult to score , it can’t really be called a fix or a robbery .

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Interesting observation…. So if I understand you correctly, you feel that Andre Ward and Tim Bradly’s racism,
    Not there racism as such. It was there white ass kissin. Supporting the white fighter to make their white paymasters comfortable.

along with the predominantly black crowd’s
    That wasn’t a predominately black crowd. That
    was a mainly white crowd. All sports crowds in the USA are majority white

racist support of Loma swayed and influenced the perceptions of those watching the fight on TV. Is that correct or did I misunderstand?
    Yes. Same with Tank and Garcia. Pretty much vast majority of the crowd were supporting the white fighter.

Thread Information