Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Name a time in history it was the good guys banning books

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    And because you won't read that far:

But wait, I've heard that schools DO ban books. Those filthy liberals with their cancel culture. So, I went to the Google to look up a list of the most banned books last year because that's a thing anyone with internet can do.

--------------------

And I found out that for the most recent year for which we have data (2019), of the 10 books most challenged and banned, *EIGHT* of them were solely because of LGBTQ themes. It seems social conservatives have worked overtime to, uh, "cancel" LGBTQ books.

Keep reading.
    You need to find out what’s actually go on in the US before you make yourself look more stupid. No one is in a tizzy here just pointing out the stupidity

Here's what's going on. The Seuss estate withdrew half a dozen Seuss books from the catalogue as a business decision. They felt that selling racist imagery would damage their long term profits. Conservative news took this business decision by a private company and turned it into a bullshit story about government censorship and the liberals coming for your culture. Conservative media consumers responded by buying Dr. Seuss books in such incredible numbers that over thirty of Amazon's top fifty books are Dr. Seuss books:

https://twitter.com/allahpundit/stat...57755879432193

So conservative media consumers in a bid to own the cancel culture purveyors are currently sending truckloads of money to the Seuss estate who were the ones who cancelled the books in the first place. You people are complete fucking idiots.

Also, too, chef's kiss:

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1367470576256897031

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland, is an Asian person using chopsticks racist? I am happy to go to a restaurant, take a picture, and send the world into meltdown.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Kirkland, is an Asian person using chopsticks racist? I am happy to go to a restaurant, take a picture, and send the world into meltdown.
    That is wilfull misrepresentation of the truth. Seuss was himself mature enough to grow and stop calling the character a Chinaman and realise that completing the stereotype with slanty eyes and a triangle hat was actually selling himself short. Nobody but you fibbers are complaining about just the depiction of chopsticks.

This is where an actual example of a moderate response by a private company or estate bring met by what is let's be honest and not mince words.. An extremist almost communist desire to tell individuals and companies what to do by very bored people on the right.

The mural is staying, with only that character replaced, and the majority of the book series will remain.

Freedom of speech and expression it seems does not extend in your eyes to those who refuse to stand still and watch the world move on.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My mother in law works in the fields with a traditional covering for the head, has oriental eyes, and uses chopsticks. Kinda normal, old boy. Out here in brochures whitey often has exaggerated round eyes and a pointy nose.

Do me and my mother in law not somewhat fit those stereotypes? Of course we do and no harm is done and the world is just fine.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My mother in law works in the fields with a traditional covering for the head, has oriental eyes, and uses chopsticks. Kinda normal, old boy. Out here in brochures whitey often has exaggerated round eyes and a pointy nose.

Do me and my mother in law not somewhat fit those stereotypes? Of course we do and no harm is done and the world is just fine.

What you are basically saying then is that unless you yourself are offended it doesn't matter what any else thinks? You never address the substance of anything, just surface level virtue signalling and no real engagement with anything but your own inflated opinion. It is a growing trend here on the forum. It is almost like people don't want to discuss or debate anything just use it as a soapbox. Now you have people boasting about not reading others posters or claiming they use too man words, or calling them boy as though that were some kind of alternative to engaging with them.

It has nothing to do with you does it? It is a private company and the people who own the rights to a reputation they are trying to honour. You just want to tell other people what to do.

Which ironically is the exact thing your are bitching about
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How short people's memories are..just off the top of my head these are some things the conservative right have called to be cancelled and banned.

Harry Potter (Demonic)
    Judas Priest ( Satanic when played backwards)
    The Simpsons (anti-Christian)
    D&D (Satanic)
    Teletubbies (Gay propaganda)
    Disney's Frozen (Peterson the bellend insisting it was Feminist propaganda)
    Angry Femninsts
    Anti Fascism
    Even very straightforward sex education in schools
    Teaching Evolution
    Kosher Food
    etc, etc
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

What you are basically saying then is that unless you yourself are offended it doesn't matter what any else thinks? You never address the substance of anything, just surface level virtue signalling and no real engagement with anything but your own inflated opinion. It is a growing trend here on the forum. It is almost like people don't want to discuss or debate anything just use it as a soapbox. Now you have people boasting about not reading others posters or claiming they use too man words, or calling them boy as though that were some kind of alternative to engaging with them.

It has nothing to do with you does it? It is a private company and the people who own the rights to a reputation they are trying to honour. You just want to tell other people what to do.

Which ironically is the exact thing your are bitching about
    What substance? Stop sidetracking and get back to the oriental image. What is offensive about a farmers hat that protects from the sun? What is offensive about oriental eyes? What is offensive about chopsticks? What is offensive about traditional clothes that are usually worn on special occasions?

Who and what are you arguing on behalf of? It is so silly. I share my life with Asians and brought this up when my wife was chatting to her sister yesterday. They found it strange that it was even a topic. We joke about differences in appearance quite casually. I am big nose and they have smaller eyes. Again, so what? I can use chopsticks. Stop the clocks. Lordy.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am arguing on behalf of honesty and your argument is fundamentally dishonest. You as usual are cherry picking, moving the goal posts and deflecting in order to not admit you just jumped on the bandwagon instead of thinking for yourself.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think you are being honest if you do not think East Asians look Oriental and it somehow has to be purged. My honesty is in disagreeing with you and telling you that real East Asians I know are laugh at it even being an issue. There is nothing wrong with chopsticks, traditional clothing or eye shape. Kids will draw things the same way. I say this as a man who is attracted to the East.

Another case in point are the masks made by Koreans sold in Myeong Dong. They typically depict small eyes and do look a bit strange. Obviously they are a caricature. They look like this and I have bought such items as gifts. Is this racist because of the eye form and element of the grotesque? Should we ban them too? 'Darn squinty eyes' pleadeth Lord Beanz. 'Racist!'

http://www.antiquealive.com/store/de...ngban-Hahoetal

I just disagree with you and have pointed out that caricature works both ways and you even see it in government leaflets here. It does not matter.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I know a sentence was a bit strange. Am on a phone and do not want to delete and post again. That mask lacks the chopsticks, but eyes are now apparently the issue.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is all so ridiculous really. Who exactly among the Asian community was offended by this? I just asked my Vietnamese friend in NYC literally 10 minutes ago about this, and he was laughing his ass off. He said he "cannot imagine why the Western World would consider those images offensive to Asian people." He then said he feels proud about it! The opposite of what the Pearl-Clutching, Fainting-Couch Crowd feels! Always side-splittingly hilarious when white people want to tell other white people that Asian people are offended by this or that. ASK THE ASIAN PEOPLE, MAYBE

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    How short people's memories are..just off the top of my head these are some things the conservative right have called to be cancelled and banned.

Harry Potter (Demonic)
    Judas Priest ( Satanic when played backwards)
    The Simpsons (anti-Christian)
    D&D (Satanic)
    Teletubbies (Gay propaganda)
    Disney's Frozen (Peterson the bellend insisting it was Feminist propaganda)
    Angry Femninsts
    Anti Fascism
    Even very straightforward sex education in schools
    Teaching Evolution
    Kosher Food
    etc, etc
    Why are you making it into a left and right issue? Is teaching kids about sex really about left wing or right wing?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Off the top, the fact we have elected House leaders reading them on camera is pretty idiotic. Americans can be sad. It's like we're in a race to prove who is politically more desperate and pathetic. Government officials should not be calling for and advocating for any 'books' to be removed from the free market and I really don't see that as happening here. But man do we have available the dates when these 6 titles were first released? I know the Mulberry one was his very first title in 1937. Talking about China and Japanese that was a helluva brutal time. I think this may be a small part of this Country just admitting and owning..yeh, we've come a long way from some real wrongs done in our name. Have you ever taken a look at years and years of wartime propaganda thought up, created and released by the US Government at the same time? It was absolutely savage with depictions of Asians namely Japanese. Look if the company sees fit to discontinue the availability then so be it. But I do think we don't give kids enough credit for thinking for themselves and defining themselves. It's not a healthy investment to try to 'soft land' every single aspect of what they are exposed to often done to score political chuckles and talking points. Kids gotta learn man. I do remember flipping through many a Dr. Suess title when growing up in the 70's and I can say I never once thought "hahaha look at the funny slant eyes". Honestly I was too busy sneaking a peak at my old mans Easy Rider and OUI mags looking for boobs and reading all of the Time Life WWII almanacs literally depicting Japanese as fanged tooth yellow rats. This is really a non issue.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Off the top, the fact we have elected House leaders reading them on camera is pretty idiotic. Americans can be sad. It's like we're in a race to prove who is politically more desperate and pathetic. Government officials should not be calling for and advocating for any 'books' to be removed from the free market and I really don't see that as happening here. But man do we have available the dates when these 6 titles were first released? I know the Mulberry one was his very first title in 1937. Talking about China and Japanese that was a helluva brutal time. I think this may be a small part of this Country just admitting and owning..yeh, we've come a long way from some real wrongs done in our name. Have you ever taken a look at years and years of wartime propaganda thought up, created and released by the US Government at the same time? It was absolutely savage with depictions of Asians namely Japanese. Look if the company sees fit to discontinue the availability then so be it. But I do think we don't give kids enough credit for thinking for themselves and defining themselves. It's not a healthy investment to try to 'soft land' every single aspect of what they are exposed to often done to score political chuckles and talking points. Kids gotta learn man. I do remember flipping through many a Dr. Suess title when growing up in the 70's and I can say I never once thought "hahaha look at the funny slant eyes". Honestly I was too busy sneaking a peak at my old mans Easy Rider and OUI mags looking for boobs and reading all of the Time Life WWII almanacs literally depicting Japanese as fanged tooth yellow rats. This is really a non issue.
    Yes, but you do not see any 'fanged tooth yellow rats' in the image I link to here, do you? If you think the abolition of this image is somehow "just admitting and owning" and a sign that "We've come a long way", then I suggest you play Streets of Rage 4, get to the Chinatown area and kill the skinny Asians and the fat martial arts chaps for kicks. These are stereotypes too, but there are stereotypes of whites, Asians, blacks too and it is just for fun. It is a game, just as these are just kids books. Christ on a bike.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...nsitive-images
    Last edited by Gandalf; 03-07-2021 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added the horrifying images that will keep me up at night for decades

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Society is ruined! Fat Asian with small eyes into martial arts, skinny Asians, Thai style kick boxers. How dare they! Stereotypes! Ban this game! Improve our social cohesion!

Thread Information