Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

I stopped in my parents place after work yesterday.
    My Dad had just switched on the news.
    He's still the hardest working man I know, but he's been through cancer and has just paused to enjoy life now.

I broke the news to him before the sports headlines were announced.

He didn't believe me.

When the story was announced my Dad just shook his head and repeated 'Not Hagler' two, maybe three times; genuinely incredulous.

Hagler was Dad's favourite of the Fab 4, probably the second fighter he introduced me to after Ali.
    He couldn't believe anything other than God himself could stop Marvin.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’ve been thinking about this a bit.

Everybody on the newspapers etc is agreeing that Hagler was absolutely the real deal in the ring, a complete fighter with very very few discernible weaknesses. A guy who came up the hard way and paid all his dues on the way up. A genuine fighter’s fighter.

I’v not been able to find any ‘bad’ stories about him. He stayed loyal to his very first trainers - something just about unheard of in the sport. His sparring partners all say he was a total beast in the ring, and a nice guy outside it. Even the weasel that is Bob Arum said he was the most loyal and dedicated fighter he met.

By his own account, he went a bit haywire after the a Leonard loss/robbery
    , but can’t really blame him for that and it didn’t seem to last long. He got divorced, which is in itself not unusual and his ex wife has never said anything horrible about him.

He went off to Italy, stayed off the celebrity ex boxer circuit, remarried, learn the language and was apparently very happy.

Good on you, Marvin.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: rip marvelous

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    Marvellous

So a perfectly healthy Marvin Hagler who had the "vaccine" has sadly passed away. 2 weeks after having the perfectly safe, fully tested for humans vaccine that's still under trial until 2023.

Right OK.

A man who at the, far from old age of 66 can run a 6 minute mile and is in better shape than guys half age just gets taken out like this.

Right. OK

It takes 10 years of trials and test to get a vaccine half way right, and they pushing that poison after 2 months of development under Trump.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to say it was long term trauma from blows to the head. Say no to the #covidvaccine

Another one bites the dust eh Bill ?

Pure and total bullshite. His death had nothing to do with Covid.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"This is how our area (the Mount Washington Valley in New Hampshire) reacted. Marvelous Marvin was a long time resident and lived in the Attitash area of Bartlett. It’s about two miles west of my house but the only time I ever saw him on the road was when he was jogging. We did have some lively communications at the IBHOF week every June.

"He was pretty much adored around here mainly for being a pleasant and uplifting guy who had time for anyone as long as they were being civil. He was “our” Marvelous Marvin and he mingled among the town folk without flaunting his fame. He just fit in. His personality—punctuated by a great smile-- lit up every room he entered.

"People like Hagler don’t die. He was an iron man. He was indestructible. But suddenly you hear a “rumor” streaking through town and you check out the news on your phone. It says he’s gone---can’t be so---so you quickly call some friends to confirm that this can’t be so---that’s it’s a hoax. But then hoping against hope, you reluctantly come to grips with the fact he is no longer with us. It makes you realize that no one is indestructible.

His wonderful wife Kay has taken it hard….and so has the Valley…and so have

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I recalled quite a few fights I saw while having a brew and at home on a Saturday afternoon but this particular muscularly chiseled fighter who looked like a statue out of a sculpture's imagination with the perfect rock to be shaped and I heard an announcer which the passage of time escapes my memory said about Marvelous Marvin Hagler, "He is a blue collar fighter." You could see the evidence of a training camp that said during the hours of perfecting his fighting plan, his strategy, the hard work and blue collar effort that got him the name Marvelous in addition to the Marvin Hagler we already knew.

Thread Information