Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are septuagenarian exhibitions the future of boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are septuagenarian exhibitions the future of boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Having a fight with myself. To not give a like to the post above. How does one like a post like that...damn...it's true, but to admit it....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think that is spot on when it comes to many of todays 'stars' giving up the ground and just caught up in too much BS and food fights. Yesterdays names still grab the ears and attention. Given the circumstances of the last year+ some of it is to be expected, delays, limitations and promoters keeping their powder dry until things "normalize" and butts fill seats etc. But it started before covid. This mentality of self anointment and entitlement with young guns having smoke blown up their arses and running careers like the strongest match ups are just an afterthought and rare exception. Arguably the #1..maybe #2..guy today is needing to talk up a showdown with greats from another era in the hopes of using it going forward rather than sorting out a pretty deep but stagnate 147 division. I don't mind some former top fighters having an attraction and keeping 'exhibition' in perspective. And really the circus/celebrity stuff isn't new. Shat I remember Sticky Fingaz getting belted by a pro skater around on Mtv but no one tried to legitimize it and make a record out of it . I've never been able to listen to Bacdafucup quite the same. But it only took a few cycles to now see these former pro displays fall into the very same rankle that makes fans wince at the 'real' boxing today. Fans may have perked up for a Rocky like after the credits role version of Marco A. Barrera v Erik Morales given their history and legend in the sport...but last I saw Morales had to pull out and some good ol promoter plans to do the whole last minute TBA sub in the form of Barrera v Soto Karass. Who was actually fighting just 2 years ago . Surely boxing owes more to Barrera. I just don't give this retro what's old is new fad long before it fades.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's money. The profusion and success of various streaming platforms mean that Floyd can make millions fighting some youtube idiot. This youtube fucker who I would guess has zero boxing ability based on a couple of circus show fights is currently one of the biggest earners in boxing with the ability to make far more money per fight than most world champions. Tyson and Holyfield are about to make millions. You can't blame fighters for seeing if they can make millions for a glorified sparring session.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of COURSE it's money.

Then again.........

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Of COURSE it's money.

Then again.........

I am going to get a seat and have some popcorn and a coke while waiting to see who uses that machine, figuratively, that is. Great thought not to be ignored!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem for JMM and Cotto is they don't have any celebrity outside of boxing fans and they were never legendary level boxers and haven't even been retired all that long. JCC Senior will have interest in Mexico and the Mexican diaspora in America but I have no idea what JMM and Cotto think they're doing. They'd be better off fighting some youtube or instagram idiot.

I too would love to see JCC Senior batter his son. I bet he's wanted to do it for years. I'd pay for that fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I too would love to see JCC Senior batter his son. I bet he's wanted to do it for years. I'd pay for that fight.

LMFAO!! You and me both.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson showcases his power in wrestling ring while he waits for Evander Holyfield fight

Mike Tyson throws a wrestler to the canvas and unloads punches after storming the ring at an All Elite Wrestling event; the former world heavyweight champion is set to face Evander Holyfield in exhibition bout

Mike Tyson displayed his renowned power in a surprise appearance at a wrestling event while he waits for an expected exhibition bout with Evander Holyfield.

The former world heavyweight champion wants to renew his rivalry with Holyfield, who defeated him twice, but instead showed off his strength after storming the ring at an All Elite Wrestling show.

Tyson, famously nicknamed as 'The Baddest Man on the Planet', ripped off his T-shirt before unloading a flurry of punches, then dumped wrestler Shawn Spears on the canvas.

The 54-year-old then flexed his muscles before embracing Chris Jericho, who had been floored by Tyson when they previously shared the ring at a past wrestling event.

Tyson has publicly listed a three-man shortlist of preferred opponents for exhibition fights, topped by Holyfield, which also includes another former rival, Lennox Lewis, and current WBC champion Tyson Fury.

Holyfield has stated his desire to trade more punches with Tyson, stating in December: "No more excuses. This is the fight that must happen for both our legacies.

"Saturday night you said you were ready to fight me, so sign the contract and get in the ring, Tyson. The world is waiting and it's on you now. I'm ready."

Tyson was held to a draw by Roy Jones Jr when they both showcased their skills last November.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...olyfield-fight
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Tyson was held to a draw by Roy Jones Jr when they both showcased their skills last November."

What an unfortunate choice of words....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem for JMM and Cotto is they don't have any celebrity outside of boxing fans and they were never legendary level boxers and haven't even been retired all that long. JCC Senior will have interest in Mexico and the Mexican diaspora in America but I have no idea what JMM and Cotto think they're doing. They'd be better off fighting some youtube or instagram idiot.

Dunno I think the two managed to cross over more than many in recent times. If they manage to land this in NY or Fla while it coincides with both areas on the 're open' phase and fans in seats this could do very well and neeeever underestimate the draw of the ever present Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry. I'll go out on a limb . If the June date holds and this spectacle comes off I bet it runs even if not tops the scheduled Shakur Stevenson same night fight v Some Random unknown cat from Nambia over on Espn. Talk about timing. Hey at least the 'great' ol geezers are going head to head with young divas for ratings.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Dunno I think the two managed to cross over more than many in recent times. If they manage to land this in NY or Fla while it coincides with both areas on the 're open' phase and fans in seats this could do very well and neeeever underestimate the draw of the ever present Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry. I'll go out on a limb . If the June date holds and this spectacle comes off I bet it runs even if not tops the scheduled Shakur Stevenson same night fight v Some Random unknown cat from Nambia over on Espn. Talk about timing. Hey at least the 'great' ol geezers are going head to head with young divas for ratings.

Mexico against Puerto Rico I would agree with. They'll get boxing fans who can still find a way as seeing this as remotely meaningful. And they'll benefit from the fact that they don't have to gwt paid by a promoter, they're making a split with a platform who will be giving them a sweetheart deal because they help build the platform's brand. But still. Glorified exhibitions purporting to be serious fights need a lot of mug punters to buy them. Due to a lack of youtube/internet celebrity involvement or any other kind of buzz they only have boxing fans who know how relevant this actually is. I can't see it being a raging success.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

el chino maidana is fighting again in march. supposed to be a sanctioned boxing fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

maravilla looked so slow yesterday
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've told you before and I'll tell you again, bring back Joe Bugner!!!!!

Thread Information