Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are septuagenarian exhibitions the future of boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are septuagenarian exhibitions the future of boxing?

https://www.boxingscene.com/glenn-mc...llenge--156324

"Glenn McCrory: Roy Jones Fight is My Biggest Challenge"

Is this a new "niche" in boxing? Are we going to be having all these old dudes come back into the boxing ring, under the guise of an exhibition... or whatever else they want to call it... and pass it off as televised entertainment?

Is boxing really that bad off that we need to have this ever-growing number of "fights" between old fogies?

Maybe the 2013 movie "Grudge Match" was a precursor of things to come in real life. Part of me is willing to wager that Stallone comes back with yet another film in which he laces up the gloves... "Creed" movies notwithstanding.

Hey... I got no problem with this Glenn McCrory (who?) wanting to come back and be able to say to his grandkids that he mixed it up with the great Roy Jones Jr. in the ring.

But can't they do this at a local gym or at somebody's backyard?

This much is true. I've got NO DESIRE to ever watch RJJ in the ring again. Shit... I was pretty much against the exhibition with Mike Tyson since it was planned.

Out of morbid curiosity, I watched it... and about the only takeaway I got from it was that Tyson is still in pretty good shape... and that Tyson took it as the meaningless exhibition (for charity) that it was... while Jones ridiculously talked a bit more seriously about it, apparently forgetting the fact that Tyson could've blown him away within 10 seconds of the first round.

This shit wouldn't be so bad, except that the "exhibition bug" seems to have bitten even some young, unproven, still-rising fighters (ie: Ryan Garcia) who basically should STFU about fighting exhibitions with Pacquiao or anybody else... and dedicate himself to continuing to develop his own career. Seems this instant gratification mentality where you win a couple of high-profile fights and all of a sudden you're boxing royalty, is all the rage nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are septuagenarian exhibitions the future of boxing?

If these old fighters want to get back in the ring and earn a little money under the "Exhibition" tag than so be it. As long as they don't try and earn a title shot off it I don't see a problem with it. Who am I? Who is you off all people? Or who is anybody really to tell them what they can or can't do?

I personally loved seeing Tyson back in the ring. I ain't trying to see him there with Wilder or Joshua. But Holyfield? Briggs? Hell yeah
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nope. Some of the blatant "legitimate" mismatches we excuse now are much worse than old grey greats chasing shadows of glory and a buck. Is this triller going hard for Jones Jr now that Tyson has called them out . Boxing has always had spectacles. If it wasn't Ketchel going off script with Johnson it was an mma fighter turn novice boxer for Mayweather or Foreman stomping out 5 no hoper journeymen one night in Ontario. If there's a legit geezer league on to itself than so be it but McCroy doesn't belong anywhere near a ring taking any form of a punch.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post
    If these old fighters want to get back in the ring and earn a little money under the "Exhibition" tag than so be it. As long as they don't try and earn a title shot off it I don't see a problem with it. Who am I? Who is you off all people? Or who is anybody really to tell them what they can or can't do?

I personally loved seeing Tyson back in the ring. I ain't trying to see him there with Wilder or Joshua. But Holyfield? Briggs? Hell yeah

You'll see by my comments I didn't dump on Tyson. Mostly on Roy. Post fight Tyson was jovial... said he was happy with a "draw." Paunchy Roy on the other hand said "Hell no... I don't do draws. I thought I did enough boxing on the outside to edge it out."

If Tyson wants to more exhibitions, all the more power to him. He looked in better shape than Roy (being older than him)... and his effort was credible. Jones not so much.

If you're gonna do exhibitions... go ahead. Just don't try and dress it up like a real fight (with judges instructed to give out draws so as to not to hurt anyone's feelings). Call it what it is.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh you'll love this then...Anderson Silva v the one who just could never measure up, Julio C. Chavez Jr . It get's better, Chavez Sr v Hector Camacho Jr (see Chavez Jr) in an exhibition. Personally I think they slipped up. I may actually pay to see Chavez Jr fight his Dad and take another certain L.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Juan Manuel Marquez to come out of retirement aged 47 and face Miguel Cotto, 40, in huge exhibition fight on 12 June

JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ and Miguel Cotto will be the latest names to dust off the gloves and step back inside the ring.

The former four-division champions are set to come out of retirement to meet in an exhibition bout on June 12.

According to BoxingScene.com, a location has yet to be determined but both parties have accepted the deal and an official announcement is expected to be made in the coming days.

Marquez, 47, officially retired in 2014 following an illustrious career that spanned over 20 years.

Known for his toughness, the Mexican has a record of 56 wins, seven losses and one draw.

He fought the legendary Manny Pacquiao on four occasions, winning one, losing two and drawing the other.

Cotto, 40, is the first Puerto Rican to win world titles in four different weight classes.

He retired in 2017 following a record of 41 wins and six losses.

The pair will join a growing list of boxing legends who have stepped out of retirement and made sensational returns to the ring.

Most notably, Mike Tyson fought Roy Jones Jr in November in a fight that notched up over 1.6million pay-per-view buys.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxin...-miguel-cotto/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

You'll see by my comments I didn't dump on Tyson. Mostly on Roy. Post fight Tyson was jovial... said he was happy with a "draw." Paunchy Roy on the other hand said "Hell no... I don't do draws. I thought I did enough boxing on the outside to edge it out."

If Tyson wants to more exhibitions, all the more power to him. He looked in better shape than Roy (being older than him)... and his effort was credible. Jones not so much.

If you're gonna do exhibitions... go ahead. Just don't try and dress it up like a real fight (with judges instructed to give out draws so as to not to hurt anyone's feelings). Call it what it is.
    Let me guess. Now that Cotto is taking part in one it's no longer a problem, right?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me guess. Now that Cotto is taking part in one it's no longer a problem, right?

I don't particularly care to see Cotto back in the ring again... but that's not really the point here.

The point here is that if you're attempting a second career as a professional "guesser"..... maybe you should keep your day job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't particularly care to see Cotto back in the ring again... but that's not really the point here.

The point here is that if you're attempting a second career as a professional "guesser"..... maybe you should keep your day job.
    It's not really guessing when you can see right through somebody. You might as well be a window as transparent as you are

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What next Riddick Bowe vs Buster Douglas?

Why don't we just wheelchair some mofos in the ring -I can see Evander wheel-buttin' the hell out everyone.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On a serious note- this wouldn't have happened (dare I play the age card) in any previous era, because fights were made often. These young fighters have totally given in to the concept of twitter wars & chasing PPV numbers as opposed to chasing the crowned glory of being known as a champ who cleaned out their division.

When was the last time we heard a boxer state their goal is to clean out their division?

They and their promoters created this void for the geriatric league.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not really guessing when you can see right through somebody. You might as well be a window as transparent as you are

Make up your mind. First you say "Let me guess"..... and then you say "It's not really guessing."

Then you accuse me of being transparent?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson can impress me by taking on one of his conquerers.

But again I think these old dudes see a hole in today's era. If the young guns were fighting each other, we wouldn't even notice these old geezers, let alone have discussions on who they should fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing's the only sport in the world where fans can resemble junkies. Give us shady fight judges decisions... we moan and groan but little else. Throw us a bone with laughable PPV matchups... we gladly lap it up. Glorify and forgive ducking and cherry-picking by our matinee idols... we justify it and argue amongst ourselves. Begin a new era of Medicare Boxing... we jump and down with glee. No one adapts to perpetually "bar-lowering" in their sport like boxing fans. Let's face it... we're pathetic.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having a fight with myself. To not give a like to the post above. How does one like a post like that...damn...it's true, but to admit it....

Thread Information