Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Daniel Dubois v Bogdan Dinu

Daniel Dubois battles Bogdan Dinu for WBA interim belt in first fight since defeat by Joe Joyce

Daniel Dubois takes on Romanian Bogdan Dinu for the WBA 'interim' heavyweight title as the 23-year-old contender attempts to climb back up the ranking following stoppage loss against British rival Joe Joyce.

Daniel Dubois will battle Bogdan Dinu for the WBA 'interim' heavyweight title in his first fight since suffering a fractured eye socket in a stoppage loss to Joe Joyce.

The 23-year-old's unbeaten record was ended by Joyce last November as he was counted out in the 10th round after suffering a career-threatening injury.

But Dubois has since made a full recovery, teaming up with new trainer Mark Tibbs, and can propel himself back up the rankings with a victory over Dinu on June 5.

The Romanian holds a record of 20 victories, with two defeats, which came against Jarrell Miller and Kubrat Pulev.

Dinu, a former sparring partner for Anthony Joshua, has since racked up two stoppage victories.

Dubois had claimed the British and Commonwealth titles with 14 knockouts in 15 victories before suffering his first professional loss to Joyce.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...t-by-joe-joyce
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Daniel Dubois v Bogdan Dinu

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Daniel Dubois battles Bogdan Dinu for WBA interim belt in first fight since defeat by Joe Joyce

Daniel Dubois takes on Romanian Bogdan Dinu for the WBA 'interim' heavyweight title as the 23-year-old contender attempts to climb back up the ranking following stoppage loss against British rival Joe Joyce.

Daniel Dubois will battle Bogdan Dinu for the WBA 'interim' heavyweight title in his first fight since suffering a fractured eye socket in a stoppage loss to Joe Joyce.

The 23-year-old's unbeaten record was ended by Joyce last November as he was counted out in the 10th round after suffering a career-threatening injury.

But Dubois has since made a full recovery, teaming up with new trainer Mark Tibbs, and can propel himself back up the rankings with a victory over Dinu on June 5.

The Romanian holds a record of 20 victories, with two defeats, which came against Jarrell Miller and Kubrat Pulev.

Dinu, a former sparring partner for Anthony Joshua, has since racked up two stoppage victories.

Dubois had claimed the British and Commonwealth titles with 14 knockouts in 15 victories before suffering his first professional loss to Joyce.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...t-by-joe-joyce
    Good luck to him, unfortunate in his last bout but thats boxing, showing courage to take this one.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daniel Dubois raring to go after eye injury and says he is still ‘not too far behind the top guys’ like Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury and world title shot is in his sights

Seven months after his difficult loss to Joe Joyce, Daniel Dubois is preparing to return to the ring again.

The 23-year-old has recovered from the horrible eye injury that forced him to take a knee and end the contest – now he’s raring to go.

“I had to make an instant decision,” he explained to talkSPORT on the end to his fight in November, which could have seriously damaged his eyesight.

“Looking back, it’s maybe the best thing that could have happened. I still have my eyesight and the injuries have healed and ready to come back.”

He also feels a world title shot still looms over the horizon. First, though, he must see off Bodgan Dinu on 5 June.

“Very excited,” Dubois told talkSPORT of fighting again. “I’ve missed it in a way. I’ve missed competing. I love fighting, I love competing and going for the ‘big one’ as the call it and chasing that glory.

“Can I still learn? I think I can, I’m only 23. I’ve got bigger challenges ahead of me and hopefully, definitely, a world title shot in not too long at all.”

Joyce, who was losing on the judges scorecards at the time of their heavyweight contest in November, has moved on to WBO contention since the victory while Dubois has had to rebuild.

The London-native expressed his belief that he’s still not too far behind the best in the business despite the loss.

“I need to be matched right and getting myself in good positions to fight for good titles and things like that.

“In the Joe Joyce fight, I don’t see it like I was on the verge of being knocked out or taking a brutal beating – I wasn’t. It’s little things he picked up on with my style that he took advantage of.

“He’s an experienced Olympic representative that’s fought all over the world, a very experienced fighter so, I’m not too far behind the big boys,” Dubois said.

Martin Bowers had been Dubois’ longtime trainer at the Peacock Gym and while Bowers remains a part of the team, the boxer has sought a different training ahead of his return.

“It’s been difficult in a way. Some decisions had to be made and my career has had to take a step back really. I’ve felt the need to reflect on a few things and what I was doing in order for me to move forward again. I’m ready to move on now.”

Dubois had linked up with Billy Joe Saunders’ trainer, Mark Tibbs, but eventually reverted to his original idea of partnering up with Shane McGuigan.

“We only did one session with Mark Tibbs actually,” Dubois explained.

“After he came back from America from his fight with Billy Joe Saunders and after that session – I thought it was going great! I thought, ‘yeah we might be able to make this thing work’ – but afterwards he sent us a text saying he had other commitments and unfortunately he couldn’t train me.

“After that, we had to make a quick U-turn and get back to Shane [McGuigan] and you know what, before all this Shane was working with my sister Caroline just before her Olympic journey and I saw some big improvements in her style and her boxing and I thought ‘yeah, I want to try this guy.’

“But, we went to Mark Tibbs first so here we are, back again at the beginning.”

Dubois has been touted as the next great British heavyweight by many in the industry and with Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury hopefully fighting for all the marbles by the year’s end, Dubois wants to get himself back in the picture.

And the journey begins with Dinu.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/8...on-fury-title/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavyweight prospect Daniel Dubois insists dark days of Joe Joyce defeat are behind him

After teaming up with Shane McGuigan, the heavy-hitting youngster is ready to start rebuilding his career by putting on a show against Bogdan Dinu

Daniel Dubois plumbed depths he didn’t expect to at this stage of his career following his defeat by Joe Joyce in November.

And there were times, the 23-year-old admits, when he wasn’t sure what the future might hold.

But after plenty of soul searching and two changes of trainer, after leaving Martin Bowers and then Mark Tibbs, he returns to the ring next week.

And with Shane McGuigan now in his corner, he hopes to deliver the sort of devastating knockout display against Romanian Bogdan Dinu that he regularly produced prior to his clash with Joyce and not so long ago had him being widely tipped to one day become a heavyweight champion of the world.

“I was at times in a dark place,” said Dubois. “They say it’s testing for your soul and it took me a while.

“After a defeat like that, you have to take time out and reflect on different things and some decisions have to be made — how you’re going to move forward, you can’t go back to how it was before — and that’s what I had to do.

“Now I’m with Shane he has just helped me get over it, really.

“He was actually training my sister, Caroline, for her Olympic journey and I saw some improvements he’d made in her and thought, ‘Yes, I want to work with this guy’.

“He’s just trying to improve me and make sure I improve on what I’ve got and make sure I use what I have correctly.

“He’s telling me it’s vital that I use my attributes — my strength, my speed — and all of those things that maybe I’ve not been picking up on or thinking that I have in me.

“He’s just bringing me back to life, really.”

McGuigan trained former world heavyweight champion David Haye in the latter stages of his career, and among others, has recently crowned WBO world cruiserweight champion Lawrence Okolie and two-time world lightweight challenger Luke Campbell in his stable.

“It’s great being in that sort of company and around that level of fighters — world champions, world title fighters, they are all competitive contenders,” added Dubois.

“There’s not many of them but they are quality, and I can’t tell you how good it feels being in that environment.

“I just want to become better.

“The defeat is definitely out of my system.

“It’s about just putting it down to experience and coming back stronger now that it has happened to me.

“It was against an experienced fighter, an Olympian, a silver medallist, so nothing bad I take from that, other than the loss.

“It wasn’t like I was going to get knocked out or on the end of a brutal beating.

“He picked me up on a few things and he won on a few little advantages, so they are the improvements I have to make.

"Now it’s all about getting ranked again and breaking a couple of hearts along the way.

“That’s all I want, to prove myself again and climb the ladder, and who knows what can happen next.”

Back Stronger: Dubois versus Dinu — Saturday, June 5, live on BT Sport 1 HD.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...sists-24208163

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dubois was starting to look the real deal until he met Joyce, personally i think he's damaged goods after the eye injury, rarely is a fighter the same after a bad injury like that.
    Will he ever be a world champion?
    Seriously doubt it.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the Joyce fight was really bad match making for daniel, it was clear he was no where near ready and could have taken a beating a lot worse

i won good money on that fight
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds odd but given the circumstances and what feels like a quickish turn around I'd like to see Dubois have a return under the radar. Let him pound out some can off the air where he can focus on his mentality off a major injury. Get that first shot to the kisser out of the way. Rather than back under the lights let alone right back into a main event title picture immediately . I know, that's unheard of today but he has to show himself before he shows anyone else.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane McGuigan seems ideal person to bring DD out of himself more.

This should improve his performances and be able to adjust when its not working out.

His reaction to the first Jab less than 10 seconds into the fight with Joyce, was that telling?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daniel Dubois reveals key role Derek Chisora played in recovery from Joe Joyce defeat ahead of comeback

The 23-year-old suffered a fractured eye socket in his European title fight with Joyce last November

Daniel Dubois greets me at the door. The house, tucked away in a quiet Essex village, is approached via electric gates. The gravel drive is host to a high end motor typical of the upmarket setting.

“Lovely place, Daniel. Worth getting whacked about the chops for this, eh?” He chuckles, mostly out of politeness. It struck me, as the words spilled forth, how insensitive my opening gambit must have sounded to a fighter making his way back to the ring after a near career-ending episode.

This was an unveiling of sorts, the first media activity of note with Dubois since he walked into that incessant, long left jab of Joe Joyce. That meeting of emerging heavyweights was seen as a gamble worth taking, one that would propel the heavy-handed Dubois onto the mainstage. There was never a doubt in his mind that victory would be his.

“All of my fights up until then were like ‘if you beat this guy then who’s next?’.” Instead he was left on the deck, a broken eye socket bringing him to his knees assailed by confusion and uncertainty. “It was strange. It was sort of no-man’s land really. I don’t ever want to go through that again if I don’t have to. Just get into this sport again, give it my best shot then get out.”

Dubois has a fatalist mentality. Everything happens for a reason. It was meant to be. This allows him to set the episode not as a failure on his part per se, but as part of his destiny, an unavoidable bump in the road, a rite of passage to which he was bound by God.

“It’s an awakening isn’t it? An idea of how this industry works. I have always known that. But then for it to happen me, it wasn’t expected. But maybe this is the way it was supposed to be. This is my script, how it is written. That wasn’t my night. If you don’t break it will only make you stronger. I think this will show in my next fights, and the next step of my career.”

Dubois is now in the care of Shane McGuigan, the mighty, young trainer who made his reputation taking Carl Frampton and Josh Taylor from novices to world titles, and who also has Lawrence Okolie in his stable. McGuigan’s father, the esteemed former WBA featherweight champion Barry, has likened Dubois to a young Sonny Liston, remarking upon his epic reach and lump hammer right.

The sparring, with Derek Chisora in the early stages of his recovery and now with cruiserweight Okolie and assorted heavyweights under the aegis of McGuigan, has gradually restored trust and belief. McGuigan Jnr has long admired Dubois for his easy power and physical attributes. The task now is to augment gradually, making subtle adjustments, improve footwork, create smarter angles and slicker defence.

Though Dubois claims to be free of any psychological baggage, no one knows for sure how he will react until the next crisis is upon him. It will come. Even the greats must walk through the storm. His return to the ring against Bogdan Dinu is an eliminator for the second-tier WBA belt held by Trevor Bryan and ought to provide some indication of his psychological health.

“I didn’t even think about it [in sparring]. It was just second nature for me to get in there and spar. I’m so motivated and thinking only about winning this fight really. That weren’t even in my mind. I’m glad it held up and is feeling all right.”

Dubois was grateful for the attention of Chisora in those early sparring sessions and the opportunity to process defeat against a fighter who has bounced back from a few. What emerged in their ringside sessions is the narrative power of rising from the canvas. “How many losses as he had? Countless losses and he doesn’t look like he’s going to slow down any time. He is still going. If there is one thing you can learn from him is that a loss is not that bad. It’s about the comeback and if you can make that comeback the best part of the whole story of your boxing career it will be something to remember.”

The undefeated label is for the most part a confected selling point that is rarely tested this early on the way up. Defeat could be the making of Dubois since it stripped away the corrosive impact of hubris, revealing flaws that would have cost him down the line but might now be erased. Does he feel there is truth in that? “Sure, a bit of that. A bit of something to shake me out of that world or that thing in my head. It definitely did that. It showed me we are all human, all flesh and blood. To be successful in this game you have to be smart as well as strong and tough. That’s what I’m going to have to improve on.”

Dubois copped a heap of ill-informed abuse for retiring himself in the tenth. “Quitter” was a common refrain, and from professionals too. “It is interesting how quickly they jumped on me after the fight. There was no time to say ‘boo’ and everyone was on it.” They were wasting their breath. Dubois was too exhausted to care, too “zoned out” to absorb the message.

Fighters know the truth of things. Dubois had spent many a training hour in the company of Joyce. He knew what was coming. The surprise was his failure to adjust when the breakthrough did not materialise. “I have sparred Joe before. I have given him some good whacks and seen him move more than I moved him that night. It was strange. My punches weren’t finding him, but it was what it was, a gruelling night. I can’t change anything about it. Once you are in there doing a certain thing it’s hard to change. It didn’t work. I’ve examined it. Had a close look at things. I think I’ve seen the light and now I’m ready to walk into it bold and brave. I can’t change the past but I’m ready for the future.”

The atmosphere in camp has been wholly restorative. The banter has been flying and Dubois smiling. “It can be very dark if you let yourself fall down. If I were a quitter I would have packed it in. But that’s not the case. I don’t want to think that it’s something I need to hide from. I need to embrace it and work on the changes that I need to do, and make sure I do that quickly.”

Oh, and that bad joke about buying a home with punches taken. Water off a ducks. “Yeah,” he said. “Nice place, innit?”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/boxing/dan...n-dinu-1035402

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good performance from the prospect Muhammad winning all 4 rounds against a journey man. He showed him respect which was good to see.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Easy win for the popular undefeated propect Liam Davies stopping his opponent in the 2nd round after 4 knock downs. Nice to see crowds back in the halls.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thought this would be on espn+ but doesn't look like it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy Fury just won and called out Jake/Logan Paul(can't tell the difference).

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nathan Heaney is very popular and brings a big crowd from Stoke. He wins in good fashion with a brutal bodyshot.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dubois starts very fast and aggressive In the 1sr round. Throwing positive jabs and showing good footwork to win the round.

Thread Information