Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Matchroom + DAZN = No more Sky

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matchroom + DAZN = No more Sky

I know Warren is with BT but could another promoter from Europe step in or Hennessey?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I know Warren is with BT but could another promoter from Europe step in or Hennessey?
    Hennessey isn’t big enough. It’s a global sport, Sky could cosy up with Sauerlands , PBC or other American Promotional teams.
    They could even do it on a promotion by promotion basis.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Either way they will stick to the PPV model. They could give boxing up and go for the other combat sports like MMA.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sauerlands have just done a deal with these lot too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.box...boxing--156527

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how much is a dazn subscription?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    how much is a dazn subscription?
    £1.99?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im on it
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting to see what Sky do now. Interesting to see how to DAZN deal works out. They lost $650 million in 2020 and don't look like being profitable anytime soon and on top of that their product is garbage. It's like watching a shitty 2000s era pirate stream and that's when it works. My dodgy streaming stick pirate DAZN is in vibrant colour 720-1080ish HD and doesn't buffer or freeze up for minutes at a time unlike the real thing and this seems to be widespread, not just me. If they can't improve the product or attract actual subscribers and the bloke behind it gets tired of throwing away half a billion quid a year Eddie might have to go running back to Sky.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirk, you've been predicting Eddie's demise for 10 years now, time to accept defeat, Bruv. I'll throw the towel for you.

I've experienced zero problems with Dazn. And I never see anyone complain about bufferring and shit in the HUGE social media/youtube boxing community. Plus the goal to do American fights in the afternoon - like last weeks Andrade-Williams - to exploit the UK/rest of world audience couldn't be sweeter.
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-23-2021 at 06:13 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Kirk, you've been predicting Eddie's demise for 10 years now, time to accept defeat, Bruv. I'll throw the towel for you.

I've experienced zero problems with Dazn. And I never see anyone complain about bufferring and shit in the HUGE social media/youtube boxing community. Plus the goal to do American fights in the afternoon - like last weeks Andrade-Williams - to exploit the UK/rest of world audience couldn't be sweeter.
    The sound dropped last week and until porkypara (who in non covid times would have been there) suggested switching to the American version it kept doing do. Shit production values too. It can't compare to better res delivery on a TV with decent sound a proper camera crew, but yes showing American cards before 5am here does compensate a lot.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

The sound dropped last week and until porkypara (who in non covid times would have been there) suggested switching to the American version it kept doing do. Shit production values too. It can't compare to better res delivery on a TV with decent sound a proper camera crew, but yes showing American cards before 5am here does compensate a lot.
    I don't really care about "production values," more interested in the boxers/matches. I thought the feature to choose American/UK commentary was a terrific feature (shame about the Brit team though). However, I regularly watch fights with no commentary, so that doesn't concern me either. I would be seriously annoyed if it was buffering and shit though, not experienced it once, and i've had it from the start. (bocked myself, for sure )
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

I don't really care about "production values," more interested in the boxers/matches. I thought the feature to choose American/UK commentary was a terrific feature (shame about the Brit team though). However, I regularly watch fights with no commentary, so that doesn't concern me either. I would be seriously annoyed if it was buffering and shit though, not experienced it once, and i've had it from the start. (bocked myself, for sure )
    I have to admit that on a night when I have not got my elbows on the ring apron myself it is nicer to watch it on the telly than on a PC with decent sound etc but yes it isn't the most important thing. None of it is ever going to make up for a decent sized crowd though in generating that missing atmosphere. It has always relied on that show biz element to mark it out as something out of the ordinary, A night out, A special occasion. I am not at all embarrassed to admit that is a large part of what I love about it

Like all sport, when it is at it's best is when there is an element of drama and theatre in it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never had an issue with my dazn streams in terms of buffering. The sound was off in parts last week but wasn't fussed by that.
    You can be sure Dazn UK won't remain the low price of £1.99 for too long though. Probably just an initial offer to get people on board.

Interesting Eddie opted away from Sky though. Huge advertising during football etc is a big loss, but as the recent flurry of YouTube boxing matches shows, you can grow a big audience just via social media.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't been predicting his demise for ten years. I'm not predicting it now. I explained to everybody at the time how he'd used darts and other Matchroom content to lever his way into providing Sky with boxing and pushing Warren out. What I said when everybody was saying how it was going to be a new era in boxing and we'd get meaningful fights was just wait, Eddie is going to be no better than Warren as far as giving the fans value for money and watch what happens with PPVs etc.

He's in a no lose situation here. If the firm paying the money here falls apart he can still head back to Sky or start a streaming platform himself. I couldn't care less about production values either as long as they show the fights.

Thread Information