Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The flip side to the George Floyd mess

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Evenhanded, non-partisan, anti-fanatical words... with even an offer to include other Democrats on the first train out of town.

It probably won't get much of a response... because it doesn't fit the fanatical "wah-wah-wah" ( ) method of communication preferred by some on here.

Right now he's panicking so much about Biden being about to take his hamburgers away that he can't think straight. He'll get back to us eventually.

Sometimes I tend to skim through headlines, and I had seen something about Biden and hamburgers.

Skipped right on through, thinking hell..... even the most fanatical Biden haters wouldn't push something as monumentally stupid as that.

Then....

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-corr...194132041.html "Fox News Corrects False Claim That Biden Is Coming for Your Burgers"

Oh shit... I stand corrected.

Definition of fake news.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Evenhanded, non-partisan, anti-fanatical words... with even an offer to include other Democrats on the first train out of town.

It probably won't get much of a response... because it doesn't fit the fanatical "wah-wah-wah" ( ) method of communication preferred by some on here.

Right now he's panicking so much about Biden being about to take his hamburgers away that he can't think straight. He'll get back to us eventually.

Sometimes I tend to skim through headlines, and I had seen something about Biden and hamburgers.

Skipped right on through, thinking hell..... even the most fanatical Biden haters wouldn't push something as monumentally stupid as that.

Then....

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-corr...194132041.html "Fox News Corrects False Claim That Biden Is Coming for Your Burgers"

Definition of fake news.

What Fox News actually said?

Or the fact that headlines claim they said it?

Just in case....

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Back on point, though..... it seems BLM is doubling down on the Ma'Khia Bryant shooting, and insisting on adding her name to the list of "legitimate victims" of excessive, lethal police force.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-liv...144855628.html "Black Lives Matter Claims Police ‘Wasted No Time in Senselessly Taking’ Ma’Khia Bryant’s Life"

Here's another take on the matter (which totally mirror my own opinion)...

https://www.newsweek.com/no-makhia-b...pinion-1585809 "No, Ma'Khia Bryant is Not the Next George Floyd | Opinion"

A word of advice to anyone seeking to advance the cause of disproportionate police brutality on blacks: Drop the Ma'Khia Bryant case as quickly as you can.

Whenever I see pictures of "sweet, little 16-year old Ma'Khia" and "oh... how she'll never get to share her joyful personality with the world".... and I see BLM leading the way... I cringe, because it undermines what basically is a worthy cause.

Here's what another moron had to say on Twitter, according to another article...

“A Black girl is dead because the cops brought a gun to a damn knife fight. If you don’t know how to de-escalate teen girls who are fighting, you should not be a police officer,” Dr. Brittney Cooper, an author and Rutgers University professor, wrote on Twitter. “This is why our movements keep asking us to reimagine public safety and to defund the police. Because the cops act like the only tool they have is a goddamn gun. And that’s a failure of both competence and imagination.”

No... you stupid woman. A black girl is dead because whoever was in charge at that foster home where she lived failed miserably to defuse the situation before it got out of control. A black girl is dead because a trained police officer fired upon her a split second before she was going to KILL another black girl... a fact that is apparently lost on the idiots who lump "sweet, little Ma'Khia" in with the REAL innocent victims of police racism and brutality... thus undermining the whole movement. A black girl is dead because... you frigging brain-dead moron... a police officer is ALWAYS going to step out of his vehicle armed with a firearm. "Brought a gun to a damn knife fight"??!?!!? Somebody please slap this Rutgers professor silly. Had the officer tried to "de-escalate" this particular situation... another teen would be dead and then the criticism would be about the lack of action by the police.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Back on point, though..... it seems BLM is doubling down on the Ma'Khia Bryant shooting, and insisting on adding her name to the list of "legitimate victims" of excessive, lethal police force.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-liv...144855628.html "Black Lives Matter Claims Police ‘Wasted No Time in Senselessly Taking’ Ma’Khia Bryant’s Life"

https://www.newsweek.com/no-makhia-b...pinion-1585809 "No, Ma'Khia Bryant is Not the Next George Floyd | Opinion"

A word of advice to anyone seeking to advance the cause of disproportionate police brutality on blacks: Drop the Ma'Khia Bryant case as quickly as you can.

Whenever I see pictures of "sweet, little 16-year old Ma'Khia" and "oh... how she'll never get to share her joyful personality with the world".... and I see BLM leading the way... I cringe, because it undermines what basically is a worthy cause.

Here's what another moron had to say on Twitter, according to another article...

“A Black girl is dead because the cops brought a gun to a damn knife fight. If you don’t know how to de-escalate teen girls who are fighting, you should not be a police officer,” Dr. Brittney Cooper, an author and Rutgers University professor, wrote on Twitter. “This is why our movements keep asking us to reimagine public safety and to defund the police. Because the cops act like the only tool they have is a goddamn gun. And that’s a failure of both competence and imagination.”

No... you stupid woman. A black girl is dead because whoever was in charge at that foster home where she lived failed miserably to defuse the situation before it got out of control. A black girl is dead because a trained police officer fired upon her a split second before she was going to KILL another black girl... a fact that is apparently lost on the idiots who lump "sweet, little Ma'Khia" in with the REAL innocent victims of police racism and brutality... thus undermining the whole movement. A black girl is dead because... you frigging brain-dead moron... a police officer is ALWAYS going to step out of his vehicle armed with a firearm. "Brought a gun to a damn knife fight"??!?!!? Somebody please slap this Rutgers professor silly. Had the officer tried to "de-escalate" this particular situation... another teen would be dead and then the criticism would be about the lack of action by the police.

They can get away with stuff like this because the only people who are going to hear about this case are people who are either pro or anti BLM and their support isn't going to move the needle any. BLM just happen to be associated with the racial justice protests of the last year or so in the minds of the public and this is what gives them their prominence. They're going to keep on having the support they have until either the public come to the conclusion that a semblance of racial justice has been achieved, don't hold your breath, or they make a bunch of decisions so unpopular that they become unpalatable and somebody else becomes the face of the movement.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They can get away with stuff like this because the only people who are going to hear about this case are people who are either pro or anti BLM and their support isn't going to move the needle any. BLM just happen to be associated with the racial justice protests of the last year or so in the minds of the public and this is what gives them their prominence. They're going to keep on having the support they have until either the public come to the conclusion that a semblance of racial justice has been achieved, don't hold your breath, or they make a bunch of decisions so unpopular that they become unpalatable and somebody else becomes the face of the movement.

Pro BLM and anti BLM people don't make up the whole spectrum of public opinion, however.

Former Orlando police chief and Democrat congresswoman Val Demings (black) defended Nick Reardon, the officer who shot Ma'Khia. CNN talking head and BLM sympathizer Don Lemon (black) defended Nick Reardon. Other high profile blacks surely have followed suit. Yet BLM, faced with a crossroads case where they can choose to be credible in their cause, or veer off toward the fanatical, non-objective side...... have decided to choose the latter. To me this isn't rocket science. It's an organization that certainly started with a good and noble cause. But like most every organization of similar nature, it inevitably becomes polluted by fanatical hanger-on people, opportunists, and just by the plain old polarization which this country can't seem to escape. Forget playing the horses or investing in the stock market. Put your money on bets about how situations that could be easily resolved by good old fashioned common sense... are allowed to devolve over time with people running toward their respective polar extremes... common sense be damned.

Hell... we see that here. Where any attempt at objectivity (like censoring Maxine Waters' comments or defending Nick Reardon) is met with childish cries of "No, no... give Waters a pass! Defund the police!" Rather than engage in meaningful dialogue, people revert to amateurish reverse psychology.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Then....

Definition of fake news.

What Fox News actually said?

Or the fact that headlines claim they said it?

Just in case....

And they even had a panel to discuss it. Even claimed researchers (oh, so now researchers are ok?) validated it. Skip the fact they aren't some Biden research team, just plaster any democrat's name to it, and they will believe it. When proven false, they will easily erase it from memory as in an

styled memory.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TBH Slim, any comment on the news regarding "So-and-so" is coming to get your hamburgers... is immediately deleted by my highly jaded and cynical brain. From that point on, doesn't matter whether they actually said it or not.... nor the he-said-she-said that invariably follows over something as meaningless as hamburgers. Sign of the times on all sides... when news media pounces on something as significant as the rate of grass grow in my backyard... and it becomes TV worthy news.

In the end... who really gives a flying one about any of that...

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=TitoFan;1573973][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1573968][QUOTE=TitoFan;1573953]
    They don't make up the whole spectrum. Let's put BLM at the left edge of the spectrum or out that way to some extent. The events of last summer pushed the mushy suburban middle of the spectrum firmly over into BLM support. BLM was literally twicw as popular as Trump last summer with two in three Americans supporting it. If on some issue of the day moderate voters are ending up en masse at the left end of the spectrum then something extremely fucked up must be happening at the right end of the spectrum.

Now BLM may eventually put their foot in it with support or backing for various issues and future situations that turn a lot of supporters away from it. It may become discredited in the eyes of the majority of Americans and lose its agency with the public. But as long as things are still fucked up at the right end of the spectrum people will gravitate to a person, persons, organisation or organisations who can articulate their peaceful opposition to the fucked up situation on the right and their desire to see change happen.

This whole mass racial justice movement is still in its infancy and it'll take a while to see how it shakes out. Today's leaders/spokesmen may well not be tomorrow's.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1574015][QUOTE=TitoFan;1573973][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1573968]
    They don't make up the whole spectrum. Let's put BLM at the left edge of the spectrum or out that way to some extent. The events of last summer pushed the mushy suburban middle of the spectrum firmly over into BLM support. BLM was literally twicw as popular as Trump last summer with two in three Americans supporting it. If on some issue of the day moderate voters are ending up en masse at the left end of the spectrum then something extremely fucked up must be happening at the right end of the spectrum.

Now BLM may eventually put their foot in it with support or backing for various issues and future situations that turn a lot of supporters away from it. It may become discredited in the eyes of the majority of Americans and lose its agency with the public. But as long as things are still fucked up at the right end of the spectrum people will gravitate to a person, persons, organisation or organisations who can articulate their peaceful opposition to the fucked up situation on the right and their desire to see change happen.

This whole mass racial justice movement is still in its infancy and it'll take a while to see how it shakes out. Today's leaders/spokesmen may well not be tomorrow's.

Well... I won't speak for the majority, because I don't feel qualified to do so. I'll only speak for myself. An organization such as BLM, with a worthy cause, IMO does itself no favors by lumping the Ma'Khia Bryants of the world in with the George Floyds, etc. The lack of discernment is appalling. Maybe not to you... maybe not to that "mushy suburban middle" you mention... but to me... and I can assure you I'm not alone in my thought process.

No one, save for the twisted fucks on the extreme right, denies the existence of a problem regarding the treatment of blacks by white cops. But again... IMHO... the lack of discernment causes problems in that it provides cannon fodder for the twisted fucks when they say "See?? There's your BLM at work." Right or wrong is besides the point. The point is no effort is being made to weed out the instances where the police DID have just cause to use deadly force.

BLM has doubled down on its defense of Ma'Khia and condemnation of the police officer. More understandable was the gut reaction of a LeBron James, who out of frustration made Reardon a target on Twitter. Tellingly, he took the Tweet down and backed off somewhat apologetically after being harshly called out on that. But as time passes and BLM continues broad-brushing the issue... they lose credibility with folks like me, who admittedly do not belong to that "mushy suburban middle."

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=TitoFan;1574020][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1574015][QUOTE=TitoFan;1573973]

Well... I won't speak for the majority, because I don't feel qualified to do so. I'll only speak for myself. An organization such as BLM, with a worthy cause, IMO does itself no favors by lumping the Ma'Khia Bryants of the world in with the George Floyds, etc. The lack of discernment is appalling. Maybe not to you... maybe not to that "mushy suburban middle" you mention... but to me... and I can assure you I'm not alone in my thought process.

No one, save for the twisted fucks on the extreme right, denies the existence of a problem regarding the treatment of blacks by white cops. But again... IMHO... the lack of discernment causes problems in that it provides cannon fodder for the twisted fucks when they say "See?? There's your BLM at work." Right or wrong is besides the point. The point is no effort is being made to weed out the instances where the police DID have just cause to use deadly force.

BLM has doubled down on its defense of Ma'Khia and condemnation of the police officer. More understandable was the gut reaction of a LeBron James, who out of frustration made Reardon a target on Twitter. Tellingly, he took the Tweet down and backed off somewhat apologetically after being harshly called out on that. But as time passes and BLM continues broad-brushing the issue... they lose credibility with folks like me, who admittedly do not belong to that "mushy suburban middle."

I'm not speaking for the majority either. I'm speculating on what the majority of people will do given various circumstances.

If BLM continue to take positions that even the majority of racial justice supporters find too fringy or out of whack then they'll lose support. But that doesn't matter. The racial justice issue isn't going to go away until there's some semblance of racial justice. Somebody, whether it's BLM or other groups/people will be the people who advocate for and articulate the demands of the vast majority of people who support racial justice. Exactly who does this, whether it's BLM or somebody else, doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1574167][QUOTE=TitoFan;1574020][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1574015]

I'm not speaking for the majority either. I'm speculating on what the majority of people will do given various circumstances.

If BLM continue to take positions that even the majority of racial justice supporters find too fringy or out of whack then they'll lose support. But that doesn't matter. The racial justice issue isn't going to go away until there's some semblance of racial justice. Somebody, whether it's BLM or other groups/people will be the people who advocate for and articulate the demands of the vast majority of people who support racial justice. Exactly who does this, whether it's BLM or somebody else, doesn't matter.

That... I have no issues with... and I'm glad it's not going away this time. George Floyd may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back"... but he certainly wasn't the first, and it was frustrating for people like me, watching from the sidelines, to have this never ending parade of abusive, racist police thugs have their way with their version of "justice" and the black people they abused.

Too many times a new incident would begin the predictable cycle of hand-wringing and promises when in the end nothing of substance was done. Kinda like the mass shooting problem. Until that issue produces the proverbial "straw", it'll be hand-wringing and promises galore. Although now with a Democratic President the needle might budge a bit toward the middle.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=TitoFan;1574178][QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1574167][QUOTE=TitoFan;1574020]

That... I have no issues with... and I'm glad it's not going away this time. George Floyd may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back"... but he certainly wasn't the first, and it was frustrating for people like me, watching from the sidelines, to have this never ending parade of abusive, racist police thugs have their way with their version of "justice" and the black people they abused.

Too many times a new incident would begin the predictable cycle of hand-wringing and promises when in the end nothing of substance was done. Kinda like the mass shooting problem. Until that issue produces the proverbial "straw", it'll be hand-wringing and promises galore. Although now with a Democratic President the needle might budge a bit toward the middle.

It's going to take more George Floyd type incidents before anything substantial actually changes.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updat...n/?id=78469886

So Derek Chauvin got sentenced to 22 1/2 years for the murder of George Floyd. It's not the 30 years the prosecution was asking for... but it's a hefty enough sentence that it should both appease Floyd's family members... and also send a much needed message to unfit cops everywhere that this type of shit will not be tolerated.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updat...n/?id=78469886

So Derek Chauvin got sentenced to 22 1/2 years for the murder of George Floyd. It's not the 30 years the prosecution was asking for... but it's a hefty enough sentence that it should both appease Floyd's family members... and also send a much needed message to unfit cops everywhere that this type of shit will not be tolerated.
    Not sure of the minimum but he'll maybe do 15ish from what I gather. What I take most from this is that throughout the pre and post trial, testimony etc next to no one, former or active same Department carried his banner and "case". As the song goes though 1 down 3 to go on this one though. That calling bullshat and pulling rank within the ranks needs to translate to the cops on the street in similar instances. Right there, on the spot blue wall be damned.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The angry woman dropped me on one knee with laughter.

Thread Information