Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ryan Garcia v Javier Fortuna

Definite let down as this was one of the more anticipated matches and to me a bit of a deeper test than Ryans last out v Campbell. Ryan Garcia suddenly withdrew from a July 9th fight sighting mental and personal issues of some sort. He's been talking on bouts of anxiety and depression lately. Now the old grizzled cynic in some fans is to let fly with every accusation when one of the brightest rising stars in the game inexplicably falls out like this but as always more will come out no doubt. In fairness the kid at 20-21 had..and invited..the weight and bright lights of fame onto him with comparisons to a young Oscar and already having the money promotional disputes. It's said and believed boxing is majority mental and if your head isn't on straight the negative consequences can be immediate and lasting. Could very well be legit and as simple as that. Then again with a 135 division in complete flux steeped with Teo, Loma, Garcia, Haney and an up and down Gervonta Davis who knows..

For his part Fortuna kept it classy wishing him the best in recovery and saying he looks forward to facing only a 100 percent Ryan Garcia. Fortuna has been waiting awhile now and hate it as much for a top opponent when stuff like this happens and all the build, training and focus goes to waste.

https://www.ringtv.com/620707-ryan-g...-fortuna-bout/

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ryan Garcia v Javier Fortuna - OFF

Yes, Fortuna's response was pure class. He had to be massively disappointed in the cancellation, but even so responded as a professional should.

Don't know what to think of Ryan. "Old grizzled cynic" I may be... but here we have a young phenom who once again was anointed as the next Great One long ago. Ever since he announced plans earlier this year to fight Pacquiao in some sort of exhibition... mine and I'm sure the eyebrows of others have been at least partly raised. At the time I stated I didn't think a young, still-rising 22-year old star had any business talking about exhibitions before first staking his claim in what are loaded divisions all around him. But that's how it goes in the era of "instant gratification."

Now it appears he may have mental health issues. Let's hope he gets the necessary treatment, as this can be just as incapacitating as physical issues.

This is why I always favor waiting a bit before putting golden crowns on young phenom's heads.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We and the hype machines do tend to pre anoint many of the young talents. Thing is a good portion of just what may be at the root. Boxing hands out trinkets to be defended on a bigger level before many are fully if even half developed..Berto, Broner, Wilder etc etc. Kid clamored for and made his 'pop' and social media fame the focus before he even blew up on a boxing stage. Literally everything today is viral and immediate media. Young dudes need some early stage fights out of the spotlight. Used to call them the 'making sausage' bouts. Where your flaws shine but you stamp out the easy comp. First time I saw him was some set of FB vids of some kid hitting a bag in his garage and everyone calling him 'even faster and better than Meldrick Taylor' . May be fair or not but wondering if coming up under Oscars wing was best for him. Last weekend Oscars interview on the triller circus card was the definition of a needed intervention and rehab program. Wouldn't be shocked to see a split but not likely.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i hope he gets the help he needs & is able to return to the ring if that's what he wants to do
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it really mental health issues or is it the fact he wants Haney to loose within 2 years (during his absence) or move up a division?

Used to call this kind of thing ducking.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Is it really mental health issues or is it the fact he wants Haney to loose within 2 years (during his absence) or move up a division?

Used to call this kind of thing ducking.
    Just realized that the prior weekend happened to be the "return" of Garcia's promoter ol Oscar on one of those ppv triller circus shows. Leave it to Oscar to reserve the major holiday 4th of July weekend for himself. Coincidence no doubt.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll be the old geezer then. I remember back in the day when fighters had no media outlet to cry about their mental issues. How the frig' could these young cats have dealt with the mental issues, poverty of a young Roberto Duran, JCC, Johnny Tapia or an Aaron Pryor childhood?

This is an excerpt on the life of Aaron Pryor that speaks directly to this era of fighters whom would rather cancel a fight due to mental health- as opposed to the old era, that used the ring to take their pain on.

Like many of the finest fighters, Aaron Pryor survived a hellish childhood that taught him to focus on something, anything, to ignore the hardship, abuse, neglect and pain that comprised his daily existence.

That type of childhood often leaves a void that even the ring can’t cure, but the ring can give you a space to forget it. It provides a focus for the rage that builds within you and is amplified with every moment of misery. In the ring, the rage is set loose, and rather than impotently attacking circumstance, you can conquer a space that is truly your own. If you’re good enough, that can earn you millions of dollars, the adulation of fans and no shortage of hangers-on who wish to use you to lift themselves from the failings of the world around them and their own failings as people.

I hope the best for Garcia, but no sympathy from me anymore than I gave it to Fury. Shit happens. Fight on.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

rescheduled for july sixteenth twenty twenty two
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryan Garcia is back in action against Javier Fortuna on July 16, but he has his eyes on the biggest names in the lightweight division.

The 23-year-old scored the biggest win of his career against Luke Campbell in January 2021, but then didn’t fight for a year as he had to deal with what he calls a ‘mental health injury.’

Garcia returned to action with a unanimous decision victory over Emmanuel Tagoe in April of this year and just three months later he’s back in the ring again.

Speaking exclusively to talkSPORT, Garcia said he is going to torture Fortuna in Los Angeles next weekend and then he wants Gervonta Davis.

“You should expect me to have no mercy on this guy,” Garcia said. “To be honest, I’m going to torture Javier Fortuna and then he’ll get knocked out. Either he’ll get knocked out or his corner better save him because he can’t keep up with me.

“And then, to me, Fortuna is just a funny, crazy guy. He’s going to fight wild, we know what he’s going to do. And I’m going to catch him. But, after that, what I really want to set up – and the world knows I’ve said it before – I really want to fight Gervonta Davis.”

Garcia went on to reveal that Davis has already reached out to his team and they’ll be looking to make that fight next.

After Davis? Garcia wants all the biggest names lined up.

“People say ‘why do you call his name out.’ I don’t need nobody. I’m just saying, do people want to see that fight? Yes. Can I beat him? Yes.

“So let’s make it happen. I want the belt, whatever belt he has, and then we can take on [Vasyl] Lomachenko. We can take on Devin Haney.

“They’re acting like I’m taking the easy pickings with Tank. I’m going after the hardest puncher and definitely a guy who has a ton of skill as well.

“That’s the fight I’m pushing for and he wants it himself because he’s called my team and they advised me that he wants that next. So we should all hope and pray that fight happens because I want that fight to happen.

“I’m not even kidding, I’m going to pray to god that it can happen. I want to fight him.

“Two explosive fighters with speed and power? Come on now, that’s a dangerous chess match and I think anybody would want to watch that,” said Garcia.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...o-devin-haney/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ryan Garcia v Javier Fortuna

Ryan "Pauper" Garcia has talked SO... MUCH... CRAP... he's quickly taking over Adrien Broner territory for me.

Fortuna won't knock him out.

But I hope PauperRy gets that fight with Tank he's blabbering so much about.

Tank will lay him out worse than he did Santa Cruz.

And I'm gonna celebrate.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm glad king ry is fighting javier after pulling out previously. i think javier will present several challenges with his experience & style. i would like to see king ry make a statement here

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone else see a slightly less flawed but slower Amir Khan in Garcia?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Anyone else see a slightly less flawed but slower Amir Khan in Garcia?
    In a way I can see it. Ryan almost has more cocky arrogance...if that's possible . Khan was many things, but he always came off comfortable in his own skin and level focus imo except when he was being brilliantly chinned. Ryan is up until now a bit of a spaz and not sure if he believes even half of what he says. Khan had better natural speed and more fluid punches. And a jab. Ryan gets head high stiff and poses too much but that's what a career beating up body work pads on social media gets you.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryan Garcia returns to the ring this weekend for a long-awaited clash with Javier Fortuna.

The pair were scheduled to square off 12 months ago, but 23-year-old Garcia (22-0, 18 knockouts) withdrew from the bout to focus on his mental health.

Garcia then pulled out of a November fight with Joseph Diaz due to a hand injury, but the unbeaten American was back in action this April, outpointing Emmanuel Tagoe in his first outing since an impressive stoppage win against Luke Campbell in January 2021.

Fortuna (37-3-1, 26 KOs), meanwhile, last boxed in February, when the 32-year-old Dominican – who turns 33 this week – stopped Rafael Hernandez late in the first round to bounce back from a defeat by Diaz.

The fight takes place on Saturday 16 July at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles.

The main card is set to begin at 1am BST on Sunday 17 July (5pm PT, 7pm CT, 8pm ET on 16 July), with ring walks for the main event expected to start at around 4am BST (8pm PT, 10pm CT, 11pm ET on 16 July).

The fight will air exclusively on streaming platform DAZN, a subscription to which is available here at a cost of £7.99 per month.

Full card

Ryan Garcia vs Javier Fortuna

Ricardo Sandoval vs David Jimenez

Alexis Rocha vs Samuel Kotey

Lamont Roach Jr vs Angel Rodriguez

Ricardo Sandoval vs David Jimenez

Diego De la Hoya vs Enrique Bernache

Miguel Gaona vs Jonathan Guzman

Lawrence King vs TBA

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...5e2e0651a61db4
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not liking the look of Fortuna at the face off etc. With only 1 round of action within a year he's going to have to pick up the pace right off if he hopes to give Garcia pause early but youth, range, speed and mass size of Garcia all working against him. Still think he has the 1-100 chance with his awkward power to buzz Garcia but if Ryan comes out behind the jab this time, I can see it all over within 5 or so.

Thread Information