Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ryan Garcia v Javier Fortuna

Definite let down as this was one of the more anticipated matches and to me a bit of a deeper test than Ryans last out v Campbell. Ryan Garcia suddenly withdrew from a July 9th fight sighting mental and personal issues of some sort. He's been talking on bouts of anxiety and depression lately. Now the old grizzled cynic in some fans is to let fly with every accusation when one of the brightest rising stars in the game inexplicably falls out like this but as always more will come out no doubt. In fairness the kid at 20-21 had..and invited..the weight and bright lights of fame onto him with comparisons to a young Oscar and already having the money promotional disputes. It's said and believed boxing is majority mental and if your head isn't on straight the negative consequences can be immediate and lasting. Could very well be legit and as simple as that. Then again with a 135 division in complete flux steeped with Teo, Loma, Garcia, Haney and an up and down Gervonta Davis who knows..

For his part Fortuna kept it classy wishing him the best in recovery and saying he looks forward to facing only a 100 percent Ryan Garcia. Fortuna has been waiting awhile now and hate it as much for a top opponent when stuff like this happens and all the build, training and focus goes to waste.

https://www.ringtv.com/620707-ryan-g...-fortuna-bout/

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ryan Garcia v Javier Fortuna - OFF

Yes, Fortuna's response was pure class. He had to be massively disappointed in the cancellation, but even so responded as a professional should.

Don't know what to think of Ryan. "Old grizzled cynic" I may be... but here we have a young phenom who once again was anointed as the next Great One long ago. Ever since he announced plans earlier this year to fight Pacquiao in some sort of exhibition... mine and I'm sure the eyebrows of others have been at least partly raised. At the time I stated I didn't think a young, still-rising 22-year old star had any business talking about exhibitions before first staking his claim in what are loaded divisions all around him. But that's how it goes in the era of "instant gratification."

Now it appears he may have mental health issues. Let's hope he gets the necessary treatment, as this can be just as incapacitating as physical issues.

This is why I always favor waiting a bit before putting golden crowns on young phenom's heads.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We and the hype machines do tend to pre anoint many of the young talents. Thing is a good portion of just what may be at the root. Boxing hands out trinkets to be defended on a bigger level before many are fully if even half developed..Berto, Broner, Wilder etc etc. Kid clamored for and made his 'pop' and social media fame the focus before he even blew up on a boxing stage. Literally everything today is viral and immediate media. Young dudes need some early stage fights out of the spotlight. Used to call them the 'making sausage' bouts. Where your flaws shine but you stamp out the easy comp. First time I saw him was some set of FB vids of some kid hitting a bag in his garage and everyone calling him 'even faster and better than Meldrick Taylor' . May be fair or not but wondering if coming up under Oscars wing was best for him. Last weekend Oscars interview on the triller circus card was the definition of a needed intervention and rehab program. Wouldn't be shocked to see a split but not likely.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i hope he gets the help he needs & is able to return to the ring if that's what he wants to do
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it really mental health issues or is it the fact he wants Haney to loose within 2 years (during his absence) or move up a division?

Used to call this kind of thing ducking.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Is it really mental health issues or is it the fact he wants Haney to loose within 2 years (during his absence) or move up a division?

Used to call this kind of thing ducking.
    Just realized that the prior weekend happened to be the "return" of Garcia's promoter ol Oscar on one of those ppv triller circus shows. Leave it to Oscar to reserve the major holiday 4th of July weekend for himself. Coincidence no doubt.

Thread Information