Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dream 5 a side team

There's a case to be made that the 82 Brazilian side was up there with the 70 side. A fantastic team that just came up against Italy that had kicked into gear at the right time (they were terrible in the first group phase but somehow got through).

A dumb second phase format didn't help either.

People forget we were unbeaten in 82 and an unfit Kevin Keegan miss, from a free header, away from playing France again in the semi who we'd already beaten 3-1
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's the miss at 2.50

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

unbeaten in 82
    went out to handball in 86
    a penalty shootout at the end of a game we dominated in 90
    keoman should have been sent off in 94
    penatly shootout in 98, if beckam should have been sent off then so should simeone
    2002 we went out to a cross
    2006 went out to portugal on pens and we could have played 360 minutes and portugal would never have scored even after we went down to 10 men
    2010 cappello
    2014 dont want to talk about it
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    unbeaten in 82
    penatly shootout in 98, if beckam should have been sent off then so should simeone
    2006 went out to portugal on pens and we could have played 360 minutes and portugal would never have scored even after we went down to 10 men
    2010 cappello
    Yep don't think we were good enough to win it in 86.

90 - whoever won our semi was going to win that's for sure

94- pathetic campaign regardless

98 - it's a serious flaw that players get sent off for the retaliation foul (did simeone get a yellow I think he did ??)

2002 - imo, even as a negative England fan, the winners of that match were going to win it

2006 - rubbish world cup that was again there for the taking if we'd got through

2010 - we were shite but I don't care what anyone says, if Lampard's goal had stood (it was well over the line) that would have changed that game regardless how shit we were. When a team has dominated and is 2 up then suddenly 2 all at half time from nowhere it changes things massively.

2014 - had to google it as couldn't remember !! Yes shite

2018 - we weren't great and I would have been confident of winning the final had we got there. We weren't as good as France but I just think our name would've been on the tropy. But two massive plus points - we won a penalty shootout after 22 years to put that ghost to bed AND more importantly our youngsters won the fans back playing decent football.

And next month.......

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We havent seemed to ever get the luck at the big moments

2018 we did and we didnt take advantage which was really disappointing

i really believe we will win one soon tho, our players are as good as any country in the world and we have match winners and we have depth and the manager seems to be doing the right things

and the players seem to keep coming through

Our team for the euros is miles better than it was for the last world cup and the next world cup it has the potential to be even better

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Player for player the 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006 team were better. They were the golden generation that let us down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Player for player the 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006 team were better. They were the golden generation that let us down.
    Or were they just massively overrated?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

unbeaten in 82
    2010 cappello
    unbeaten in 82

Yep. And couldn’t score a goal in the second phase. Don’t score goals you don’t win cups. Simples.
    Get the violins out !
    conveniently forgetting the other goal. The greatest goal ever scored in WC Finals.
    You never dominated the Germany game.
    Talk about clutching at straws, you never even made the finals ffs!
    maybe you were unlucky against Argentina, but you would never had a hope in hell of winning that tournament.
    No, you went out to a better side. Has England ever beaten Brazil at a World Cup ?

Rooney deserved the Red and Portugal deserved to go through.
    2010 cappello
    Yeah, and?

Of course you don’t want to talk about it, cos they were shite. They finished bottom of the group and deservedly so. Second best in every game.

Even 2018 they went out to the first half decent side they played.
    To win a World Cup, you have to beat at least 2 of the big guns . England have never done that in any World Cup ever.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

😂😂😂

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Ederson goalkeeper with huge kick

Socrates defending with fag in his mouth

Ronaldinho whiz in midfield

Rivaldo left footed striker
    Ronaldo goal scoring machine

I would have Ronaldinho on the bench. And Zico. Socrates is my favourite player but he'd be rubbish at five a side.

You could pick half a dozen five a side teams from Brazilians and they'd all be as good as any team you could pick from the rest of the world.
    I originally had Zico and Eder from the 82 team but modernised it. Luckily I did not put Neymar in.
    Not a bad side that 82 team. Who knocked them out? Must’ve been an amazing team !

The Brazilians were the best team at the 82 and 86 World Cups. The fact they didn't win doesn't mean anything, they were the most exciting international football teams ever with the possible exception of previous Brazilian sides. They should ditch the futebol de resultados and go back to joga bonito. It doesn't matter if they don't win in the future either if we can watch that kind of football every four years.
    Sorry, I’m gonna have to call bullshit here. There is a clear difference between being the “most exciting” team to being “the best team.” And let’s be honest , teams that enter World Cup competitions are in it to win it, nothing else.
    It’s so disrespectful to the Italy side when people spout on about the ‘82 Brazil side being the best ever, it’s bullshit. Italy had stylish players like Antognoni and Conti that would’ve got in any team , and although Gentile was a no nonsense defender, Scirea and Cabrini oozed elegance.
    And let’s not forget that Italy beat This so called best ever team from Brazil, Maradona’s (at his peak) Argentina team that were reigning World Champions, and Germany “Der Mannschaft.” And we all know that there has never been a bad Germany side.
    Nobody, Absolutely nobody has ever beaten that many quality sides to win a World Cup.
    Look back and you’ll see I’m right.

Nobody ever wanted to watch that boring cynical catenaccio shit outside of Italy and the Italian diaspora. And nobody could give a shit about that Italian team. The Brazilian teams of the post war years of the World Cup but particularly the eighties were beloved the world over.
    At the end of the day, it’s all about winners. The BEST team in ‘82 was Italy, FACT. and you need to rewatch the Brazil game if you think it was Catenaccio. So blinkered.

Football fans all over the world would disagree with you on that one.

Fifa actually changed the rules of the game after the 86 World Cup to prevent teams like Italy playing the way they did. The tackle from behind was banned, refs were told to card shirt pulling and spitting and the various similar stuff, passing back to goalkeepers was banned along with keepers wasting time and timewasting in general. It improved the game no end.
    Listen, you stick to your “Unicorns and Fluffy Rabbits” football , and I’ll stick to watching winners.
    Is there anything you haven’t blamed on Italy? You’ll be saying Covid was their fault next!
    I’m pretty sure spitting was punished before ‘86. And your wholesale rule changes didn’t deter Rijkaard from spitting at Voller 4 years later did it? I suppose he’s Italian as well now? Smfh.
    “Teams like Italy” for fucks sake.

Teams from South America used to play boring cynical dirty football too, particularly Uruguay, but this was the time that Fifa were starting to see the potential for huge increases in sponsorship and television income and they went all out to make the game much better to watch. The last thing Fifa wanted from a World Cup in Italy was the home team doing well with their particular style of play or any other similar team doing the same, they wanted to encourage nice television viewer friendly attacking football.

They spent a few years working out how to do it and brought the new rules in just before the 1990 World Cup and it made football a much better spectacle.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ederson goalkeeper with huge kick

Socrates defending with fag in his mouth

Ronaldinho whiz in midfield

Rivaldo left footed striker
    Ronaldo goal scoring machine

I would have Ronaldinho on the bench. And Zico. Socrates is my favourite player but he'd be rubbish at five a side.

You could pick half a dozen five a side teams from Brazilians and they'd all be as good as any team you could pick from the rest of the world.
    I originally had Zico and Eder from the 82 team but modernised it. Luckily I did not put Neymar in.
    Not a bad side that 82 team. Who knocked them out? Must’ve been an amazing team !

The Brazilians were the best team at the 82 and 86 World Cups. The fact they didn't win doesn't mean anything, they were the most exciting international football teams ever with the possible exception of previous Brazilian sides. They should ditch the futebol de resultados and go back to joga bonito. It doesn't matter if they don't win in the future either if we can watch that kind of football every four years.
    Sorry, I’m gonna have to call bullshit here. There is a clear difference between being the “most exciting” team to being “the best team.” And let’s be honest , teams that enter World Cup competitions are in it to win it, nothing else.
    It’s so disrespectful to the Italy side when people spout on about the ‘82 Brazil side being the best ever, it’s bullshit. Italy had stylish players like Antognoni and Conti that would’ve got in any team , and although Gentile was a no nonsense defender, Scirea and Cabrini oozed elegance.
    And let’s not forget that Italy beat This so called best ever team from Brazil, Maradona’s (at his peak) Argentina team that were reigning World Champions, and Germany “Der Mannschaft.” And we all know that there has never been a bad Germany side.
    Nobody, Absolutely nobody has ever beaten that many quality sides to win a World Cup.
    Look back and you’ll see I’m right.

Nobody ever wanted to watch that boring cynical catenaccio shit outside of Italy and the Italian diaspora. And nobody could give a shit about that Italian team. The Brazilian teams of the post war years of the World Cup but particularly the eighties were beloved the world over.
    At the end of the day, it’s all about winners. The BEST team in ‘82 was Italy, FACT. and you need to rewatch the Brazil game if you think it was Catenaccio. So blinkered.

Football fans all over the world would disagree with you on that one.

Fifa actually changed the rules of the game after the 86 World Cup to prevent teams like Italy playing the way they did. The tackle from behind was banned, refs were told to card shirt pulling and spitting and the various similar stuff, passing back to goalkeepers was banned along with keepers wasting time and timewasting in general. It improved the game no end.
    Listen, you stick to your “Unicorns and Fluffy Rabbits” football , and I’ll stick to watching winners.
    Is there anything you haven’t blamed on Italy? You’ll be saying Covid was their fault next!
    I’m pretty sure spitting was punished before ‘86. And your wholesale rule changes didn’t deter Rijkaard from spitting at Voller 4 years later did it? I suppose he’s Italian as well now? Smfh.
    “Teams like Italy” for fucks sake.

Teams from South America used to play boring cynical dirty football too, particularly Uruguay, but this was the time that Fifa were starting to see the potential for huge increases in sponsorship and television income and they went all out to make the game much better to watch. The last thing Fifa wanted from a World Cup in Italy was the home team doing well with their particular style of play or any other similar team doing the same, they wanted to encourage nice television viewer friendly attacking football.

They spent a few years working out how to do it and brought the new rules in just before the 1990 World Cup and it made football a much better spectacle.
    By 1990 catenaccio was long gone my friend. Great teams from great footballing nations evolve.
    In ‘90 Italy played the best football out of every team in the tournament.
    And they lost to an Argentinian side that epitomised everything that you dislike so much. You might call it Karma, I call it a massive goalkeeping error. But there you go.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was Maradona's last great legal dribble when he passed the Italian defence to set up Caniggia to score.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say our team is better now than the golden generation - who agreed were massively over rated with pathetic egos.

Ferdinand admitted a few years ago there was an atmosphere where they didn't want to hear about each others club success.

Egos should be the first to be dropped regardless who they are

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

unbeaten in 82
    2010 cappello
    unbeaten in 82

Yep. And couldn’t score a goal in the second phase. Don’t score goals you don’t win cups. Simples.
    Get the violins out !
    conveniently forgetting the other goal. The greatest goal ever scored in WC Finals.
    You never dominated the Germany game.
    Talk about clutching at straws, you never even made the finals ffs!
    maybe you were unlucky against Argentina, but you would never had a hope in hell of winning that tournament.
    No, you went out to a better side. Has England ever beaten Brazil at a World Cup ?

Rooney deserved the Red and Portugal deserved to go through.
    2010 cappello
    Yeah, and?

Of course you don’t want to talk about it, cos they were shite. They finished bottom of the group and deservedly so. Second best in every game.

Even 2018 they went out to the first half decent side they played.
    To win a World Cup, you have to beat at least 2 of the big guns . England have never done that in any World Cup ever.
    Brazil werent the better side in 2002, once they went down to 10 men england were better

in 86 would the other goal have even have happened if the handball was given?

I challenge to watch england v portugal in 2006, it was the most one sided game in history when the better team were down to 10, im not sure portugal had a shot on goal

Thread Information