Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelos gloves - "Everlast MX" doing serious damage

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    glove controversy's are nothing new. felix tito had to rewrap against bernard. fighters should wear the same gloves & wrapping should also be uniform

As long as you're not plastering (a la Margarito), different boxing commissions allow different types of hand wrapping. Not to say that couldn't be standardized also... but part of the wrapping technique is to protect fighters' hands, some of which are more brittle than others. Gloves though... there's no reason why they should be different. A good, safe hand wrapping job coupled with standard gloves should be the norm in boxing.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dunno, as ugly as it was I have a bit of a hard time faulting a guy for targeting key strengths of an opponent. I mean they're not in there to knit mittens and pour tea . While slimy maybe Canelo still took one of Smiths key weapons away right off. Fighters exploit previous injuries, bruised ribs and target cuts regularly. Canelo has had silk underwear and a silver spoon in his little orange mouth since day 1 but some of this scooby doo mystery hour stuff can be said of more than a few guys. Didn't Margarito get his eye socket caved in by Manny who was also moving up and arguably hitting harder a bit. Inoue orbital fracture to Donaire. Max Baer literally knocked a poor guys brain 'loose'. Think Cotto made a jigsaw puzzle out of Paulies face too. I just think this may have happened much more than we realize but now it's on a world stage information highway with arguably the biggest name- 'attraction' in boxing. And he's a diva so that helps . If there's any positive takeaway maybe it's that these are the injuries we see. Attention drawn to it. But at the end of the day after every ko loss a fighter is permanently less than before he entered the ring that night. One major factor in helping curve that would be to stop clear near mismatches ahead of time. Namely Khan being used for name sake division jumping for Canelo and Brook putting his head in the gators mouth jumping up for Golovkin.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 05-11-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I started off reading this thread thinking it's just Khan whingeing and trying to come up with yet another excuse for his crystal jaw but there definitely seems to be substance to this. I'm sure there'll be more reporting done on this in the future. The biggest draw in boxing being able to pick his own custom gloves for fights doesn't seem right but he's going to get away with it unless this blows up into a big issue at some point.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I started off reading this thread thinking it's just Khan whingeing and trying to come up with yet another excuse for his crystal jaw but there definitely seems to be substance to this. I'm sure there'll be more reporting done on this in the future. The biggest draw in boxing being able to pick his own custom gloves for fights doesn't seem right but he's going to get away with it unless this blows up into a big issue at some point.
    If BJS is forced to retire he should sue Canelo and that will raise the profile of this scandal.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14916...-bones-canelo/
    Last edited by Master; 05-11-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gloves don't break people's faces...

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to tell where to draw the line.
    Margarito ripped off Lujan's ear, how often does that happen? And many a fighter have had their retina detached. But the injuries that ensure me sometimes it is the fighter's power would be the thrashing Briggs took against Klitschko: a broken left orbital bone in Briggs’ face, a broken nose and torn left biceps.

A Fighter's trainer signs off on gloves.

And most important to me is that some fighters break down easier than others.

Maybe Saunders got a broke face because he finally faced a menacing puncher. Defeating Martin Murray before this title shot didn't mean he was deserving IMO over a Charlo or an Andrade. But it is what it is, Billie got to the big dance and learned the hard way.

If you can't roll with the punch, you're probably gonna bare the brunt of the punch. Perfect punch to do it- as he was in the perfect position for maximum impact now that I've seen it.

Side note- I felt that James Kirkland was a pretty decent puncher, not menacing, but he could bang- But in the ring with Canelo one could see a difference in punching power.
    A big difference, not sure why it was so apparent against Kirkland, but not Mayweather other than how Floyd positioned himself when he did get hit.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Hard to tell where to draw the line.
    Margarito ripped off Lujan's ear, how often does that happen? And many a fighter have had their retina detached. But the injuries that ensure me sometimes it is the fighter's power would be the thrashing Briggs took against Klitschko: a broken left orbital bone in Briggs’ face, a broken nose and torn left biceps.

A Fighter's trainer signs off on gloves.

And most important to me is that some fighters break down easier than others.

Maybe Saunders got a broke face because he finally faced a menacing puncher. Defeating Martin Murray before this title shot didn't mean he was deserving IMO over a Charlo or an Andrade. But it is what it is, Billie got to the big dance and learned the hard way.

If you can't roll with the punch, you're probably gonna bare the brunt of the punch. Perfect punch to do it- as he was in the perfect position for maximum impact now that I've seen it.

Side note- I felt that James Kirkland was a pretty decent puncher, not menacing, but he could bang- But in the ring with Canelo one could see a difference in punching power.
    A big difference, not sure why it was so apparent against Kirkland, but not Mayweather other than how Floyd positioned himself when he did get hit.
    gunboat smith said he ripped off jess willard's ear with a punch: "So in the tenth round I hit him with one of my right hands, but it was on the ear. Tore his ear right off. That hushed him up for the rest of the fight. The blood was running down, and oh God, I, of course, had my gloves loaded. I had insulation tape laid across my hands." he said that everybody loaded their gloves and, it was either him, or maybe it was jack sharkey, who said that after a few punches the padding in the gloves back then would thin out until there wasnt anything covering your knuckles at all. antonio margarito also ripped off sebastian lujan's ear with a punch. thats not too surprising. he was also loading his wraps. you wont usually see a fighter get his ear ripped off by a punch and i have never seen a fighter get his skull caved in by a punch. doctors described this injury as a "complete blowout" saunders face looked like it was smashed in about two inches. the bone that should be there was just gone. this is not an injury that i think you can receive from a gloved fist.
    Last edited by Yuzo; 05-13-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

Exactly. Here we're talking about the lack of a glove causing the damage or at least a lack of padding in the knuckle area of the glove meaning the wearer can inflict more damage. It may even be that the lack of padding coupled with the resultant shape and form of the leather could be able to inflict even more damage than a bare fist.

I can see future opponents asking either for the same gloves or for both fighters to wear different gloves. With the benefit of hindsight Saunders shouldn't have focused on the size of the ring, there was a more kinetic issue he should have threatened to walk away over.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly. Here we're talking about the lack of a glove causing the damage or at least a lack of padding in the knuckle area of the glove meaning the wearer can inflict more damage. It may even be that the lack of padding coupled with the resultant shape and form of the leather could be able to inflict even more damage than a bare fist.

I can see future opponents asking either for the same gloves or for both fighters to wear different gloves. With the benefit of hindsight Saunders shouldn't have focused on the size of the ring, there was a more kinetic issue he should have threatened to walk away over.
    Let's hope his next opponent Plant raises the issue and Canelo is held accountable.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting how those labeled as the biggest punchers ever (Ernie Shavers, Julian Jackson) never did such damage. For Canelo to achieve this level of power I now understand why so many questions are being raised.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    glove controversy's are nothing new. felix tito had to rewrap against bernard. fighters should wear the same gloves & wrapping should also be uniform
    Trinidad pretty much build his career off stacking
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Let's hope his next opponent Plant raises the issue and Canelo is held accountable.

Boxing is a bit like the whore who will do whatever you want for the right price. Canelo will not be held accountable, simply because he's the BIGGEST DRAW IN BOXING. Boxing... the sport desperate for attention... and will go to any lengths to get it. Even if it means looking the other way when Canelo 'roids, when Canelo uses his own "custom gloves", when Canelo gets the judges he wants... the venue he wants... the opponents he wants... WHEN he wants them. Not ONE boxer was ever bigger than the sport. Not even Ali back in the day, because those were the 60's and 70's then, and society itself was different. Yet Canelo is approaching the "bigger than boxing" territory. Not because he's that wonderful... but because the machinery that has been in place for years now has finally accomplished its goal.

So no. Canelo will not be held accountable. EVER. Anyone with any authority in boxing that even dares suggest that boxing gloves should be standardized for the safety of the boxers, will end up sleeping with the fishes.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

who signed off on canelo's gloves from billy joes team? they would have inspected them yeh? i would assume after all the ring size bullshit that if there was any concern this would have been highlighted as well
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Interesting how those labeled as the biggest punchers ever (Ernie Shavers, Julian Jackson) never did such damage. For Canelo to achieve this level of power I now understand why so many questions are being raised.
    By the time you're twenty three or four you've filled out to your full physical size and strength. At that age Alvarez was making 154. Now he's gone up two weight classes and is a stone heavier and is a wrecking machine. Definitely lots of questions can be asked about this but with him being the biggest draw in boxing and a big earner for a lot of interested parties don't expect him to be pushed into providing answers.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think there is that many questions, he already failed a drugs test(like his previous opponent) :S......

The horsehair gloves aren't new though, are they pretty sure Mayweather tried to stop Maida a wearing them and Floyd's choice of glove were called pillows..... I think this instance might be a case of not liking who won..

Thread Information