Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelos gloves - "Everlast MX" doing serious damage

2 of Canelos last 3 opponents have suffered Nasty injuries.

Amir Khan said it was like being hit with a baseball bat when Canelo hit him and that the horsehair padding slides back up the glove exposing the knuckles.

What Khan said in 2020 -

Khan, who opted to wear a different type of Everlast glove, told FightHype: "Every glove is different. When I fought Canelo, he had the Everlast horsehair gloves on.

"When I put my hand in, it was like pushing to the wall, but you’re going to damage your hand as well.

“They were solid. It was like being hit with a baseball bat. The foam padding ones, the shape always stays the same. With the horsehair, it fades more towards the back of the hand.

"So that way, your knuckles are more visible. Without padding in the way, that’s going to put more pressure on your knuckle. So you’re going to be hit with a bare hand.

Canelo’s gloves hand nothing in them – Khan
    “You’ve got Grant, you’ve got Rivals, you’ve got Everlast,” said Khan about the different glove types.’ You’ve got all kinds of different types of gloves. Every glove is different and made in a different way. Nowadays, you can talk to the owner, and say, ‘Listen, I want a knockout glove. Make sure the padding is more on the wrist and not on the knuckle…I can call up and say ‘I’ve got bad hands.

“I need more padding on the right hand,’ and he’ll say, ‘No problem.’ So imagine someone saying, ‘Look, take the padding away from the hand and put it more on the top half. They should have one glove [for everyone]. That’s why they have these brutal knockouts happening.

“When you’re fighting someone, and you know they’re wearing a certain glove, you know what their game plan is. You’ve got guys that aren’t really punchers, and they’re going to wear the smaller Reyes gloves. You think this guy is going to try and knock you out. I’m going to have to be smart in this fight and be prepared.

“Then you’ve got Canelo, who is wearing the MX gloves, and they’ve got nothing in them. I knew that he was just looking for that one big shot. You know the mentality from the type of gloves they’re wearing. Try it next time. When you see a fighter, look at the type of gloves they have, and that’ll tell you about his game plan,” said Khan.

Canelos smashed Saunders eye socket to bits with one punch and Callum Smith suffered a detached bicep after Canelo purposely targeted his arm.

Smith -

"I said to Joe in round one, 'He's aiming for my arm.' Every right hook he was throwing, he was going for my arm.

"And then I think I said to Joe in round four or something, 'My arm is f***ed.""

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelos gloves - "Everlast MX" doing serious damage

The gloves are not exclusive for Alvarez. Khan, Smith and Saunders had the option of using those same gloves. They declined. Either way it wouldn't of matter. Khan would of still got knocked the fuck out. Smith would of still have that deer in the headlights look and Saunders would of still quit
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Problem is not every fighter can use them, if a fighters got brittle hands they're not gonna pick them.
    To a heavy hitter though they are clearly pretty devastating in terms of the damage you can inflict.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post
    The gloves are not exclusive for Alvarez. Khan, Smith and Saunders had the option of using those same gloves. They declined. Either way it wouldn't of matter. Khan would of still got knocked the fuck out. Smith would of still have that deer in the headlights look and Saunders would of still quit
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Problem is not every fighter can use them, if a fighters got brittle hands they're not gonna pick them.
    To a heavy hitter though they are clearly pretty devastating in terms of the damage you can inflict.
    I don't think I've ever heard of Smith, Saunders or Khan having brittle hands. I know of Khan's brittle chin. But hands? That's a first
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin also wears horse hair gloves, I don't see the problem with it, they are approved and if the person wearing them have iron fists and can take the damage then I say more power to them.

Also there is the argument that heavier padded gloves would just cause sustained beatings to the noggin which would be just as dangerous.

And although I dislike Canelo immensely, I wish he would have landed that punch in Khan without any gloves at all, now that would have been fun to watch.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In fairness Khan has often reacted as if struck with a baseball bat when caught . Bit low ball way for them to imply wrong doing while the same completely 'legal' means available to all fighters basically because they couldn't measure up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's use some perspective. As brutal as boxing is, I would separate fractured orbital bones from the rest of injuries we've become accustomed to see. Fight-ending gashes, broken noses, bumps and bruises galore... those are always gonna be a natural part of the sport. But broken eye sockets? Damn... anyone who is faulted for not fighting through one of those is being thrown to the lions, IMHO.

Along with the myriad of other things boxing needs to fix, I'd say the disparity in boxing gloves is one of them. Why should the choice of gloves include those which pose a greater risk of injuries such as broken eye sockets? Let's be realistic. When Pacquiao broke Margarito's eye socket back in 2010, it wasn't surprising given the amount of punches Pac landed on Margarito's face. But if Saunders was indeed gaining momentum in the fight until BAM... one punch broke an eye socket, well...

Khan shouldn't even be involved in the conversation (or talking about it). Canelo would've knocked Khan out had he been wearing pillows for gloves. It was like the elephant waiting for the annoying mosquito to land before swatting it to oblivion.

But differences in gloves shouldn't help increase the chances of broken orbital bones. Everyone has to wear standard issue helmets and pads for contact sports such as American football. Why then, shouldn't boxers be forced to wear standard issue gloves designed to lessen the possibility of severe injuries like broken eye sockets? Again, in some cases it's gonna happen. Pac beat Margarito's face like a drum at a concert... and the resulting injuries were bound to happen.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    In fairness Khan has often reacted as if struck with a baseball bat when caught . Bit low ball way for them to imply wrong doing while the same completely 'legal' means available to all fighters basically because they couldn't measure up.
    Agreed , I know for a fact a large blue bottle fly once landed on the face of Khan and he had to take an eight count.
    He is not the man to ask about punch resistance.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Let's use some perspective. As brutal as boxing is, I would separate fractured orbital bones from the rest of injuries we've become accustomed to see. Fight-ending gashes, broken noses, bumps and bruises galore... those are always gonna be a natural part of the sport. But broken eye sockets? Damn... anyone who is faulted for not fighting through one of those is being thrown to the lions, IMHO.

Along with the myriad of other things boxing needs to fix, I'd say the disparity in boxing gloves is one of them. Why should the choice of gloves include those which pose a greater risk of injuries such as broken eye sockets? Let's be realistic. When Pacquiao broke Margarito's eye socket back in 2010, it wasn't surprising given the amount of punches Pac landed on Margarito's face. But if Saunders was indeed gaining momentum in the fight until BAM... one punch broke an eye socket, well...

Khan shouldn't even be involved in the conversation (or talking about it). Canelo would've knocked Khan out had he been wearing pillows for gloves. It was like the elephant waiting for the annoying mosquito to land before swatting it to oblivion.

But differences in gloves shouldn't help increase the chances of broken orbital bones. Everyone has to wear standard issue helmets and pads for contact sports such as American football. Why then, shouldn't boxers be forced to wear standard issue gloves designed to lessen the possibility of severe injuries like broken eye sockets? Again, in some cases it's gonna happen. Pac beat Margarito's face like a drum at a concert... and the resulting injuries were bound to happen.

This pretty much sums up the point I'm trying to make.
    As we've seen in 2 of his 3 last fights allowing a fighter like Cabello to wear gloves with not much padding over the knuckle is causing bad injuries to his opponents, clearly more so than f he wore a foam padded glove.
    He wasnt exactly landing loads of punches on Saunders either, would his eye socket be fractured multiple times after 1 uppercut if Canelo had foam padded gloves on ?
    Seriously doubt it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This would explain how he is getting so much punch power whilst moving up the weights which is unnatural. Canelo was not this devastating as a light middle or even middleweight yet he is stopping/injuring bigger world class fighters. With the judges already in his pocket this advantage makes him unbeatable.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just done a bit of digging and it turns out that Canelo no longer wears the Everlast glove but uses the "No Boxing, No Life" horsehair glove.
    Canelos trainer Eddy Reynoso even owns the company, if that's not a massive conflict of interest and a serious cause for concern then I don't know what is.

I also discovered that it's still not illegal to "stack your gloves" in Nevada and Texas (the 2 places Canelo fights)

This is from boxrec

Stacking is similar to plaster of Paris in that when a fighter starts sweating the extra layer of gauze starts to harden. For this reason you’re only allowed one layer of gauze which purpose is to protect the knuckles. Having 2 layers of gauze with tape in between creates a layer of bulk to the fist. It’s going to provide extra impact even when wearing gloves.

Add a stacked hand wrap to a horsehair glove (designed by your own trainer of all people) and you may as well be hitting someone bare knuckles.

All the above is fact and clearly dodgy as fuck, we already know Canelo walks an extremely thin line in terms of cheating, PEDS, catch-weight and rehydration clauses.

Not saying he wouldn't knock out or stop these guys but it's the injuries he's causing that is a big worry.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone has been complaining about gloves over the last two years in boxing now. Something is up with it and the "authorities" should look closely into it. jmo..

Also another trend I have noticed is a lot of these fighters are coming out sickly and lethargic. The last lethargic and sickly looking guy was Povetkin v Whyte in their second bout. That was not a strong and fit Povetkin. Something is up there.

Even so, I have been noticing more carefully since Stiverne complained about being poisoned in the first Wilder fight. You could see something was not right with the man. Same thing with Wilder v Fury 2, you could clearly see Wilder was weakened.

Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Just done a bit of digging and it turns out that Canelo no longer wears the Everlast glove but uses the "No Boxing, No Life" horsehair glove.
    Canelos trainer Eddy Reynoso even owns the company, if that's not a massive conflict of interest and a serious cause for concern then I don't know what is.

I also discovered that it's still not illegal to "stack your gloves" in Nevada and Texas (the 2 places Canelo fights)

This is from boxrec

Stacking is similar to plaster of Paris in that when a fighter starts sweating the extra layer of gauze starts to harden. For this reason you’re only allowed one layer of gauze which purpose is to protect the knuckles. Having 2 layers of gauze with tape in between creates a layer of bulk to the fist. It’s going to provide extra impact even when wearing gloves.

Add a stacked hand wrap to a horsehair glove (designed by your own trainer of all people) and you may as well be hitting someone bare knuckles.

All the above is fact and clearly dodgy as fuck, we already know Canelo walks an extremely thin line in terms of cheating, PEDS, catch-weight and rehydration clauses.

Not saying he wouldn't knock out or stop these guys but it's the injuries he's causing that is a big worry.

Good info, thanks for sharing.

You read stuff like this.... you feel even more strongly about the need to standardize gloves in boxing.

C'mon... boxers are finely tuned athletes with individual attributes which make them entertaining to watch. Some are master boxers... others are devastating punchers.

Differences in gloves shouldn't be added as part of the equation.

What you mention, in addition to what @Master brings up regarding Canelo's sudden ability to damage bigger fighters... should at least give people pause.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

glove controversy's are nothing new. felix tito had to rewrap against bernard. fighters should wear the same gloves & wrapping should also be uniform
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information