Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

Share/Bookmark
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,189
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    875
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Josh Taylor could take the accolade if he keeps it up. Joe did have his weaknesses in terms of terrible title defences of his WBO title that Sven Ottke was rated better than him at one point.
    After beating Ramirez last night, he's on the list.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,542
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    746
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,710
    Mentioned
    1595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2828
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,542
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    746
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,710
    Mentioned
    1595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2828
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    Bruno had a lot of bogey men then.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,746
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    531
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,710
    Mentioned
    1595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2828
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,542
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    746
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    AJ looked terrible in the second ruiz fight

    and Bruno never lost a fight over 6 rounds apart from Tyson
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,087
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    475
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Hi.

    I have been watching boxing, mostly in the UK for getting on for 50 years. My late 60's years started supporting Joe Bugner (no piss taking) and went on to other quality fighters, a list now.... John Conteh, John Stracey, Chris and Kevin Finnegan, Herrol Graham, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Frank Bruno, David Haye, Lennox Lewis, Joe Calslappy et al. All watched live when we could afford it before the showbiz yuppie lads invaded ringside with their love island girlfriends.

    In all that time I have to say that there was only one boxer who I saw who was a complete natural, nobody taught him anything, he was born to it. Prince Nazeem Hamed.

    What do you think?
    As an American- looking to crown the most 'natural'? meaning someone born with a talent? I can understand Hamed being that one.

    The names you mentioned I could see all of them as boxers who gained skill, while Hamed never really had skill IMO- or he wouldn't have gotten embarrassed by MAB!

    He relied on reflexes and born to throw power punches, didnt have to do weights or take protein shakes or designer dope. Power was natural.

    Without Manny Steward IMO Lennox was destined to lose more fights.
    Eubank, Benn were natural born fighters IMO. Nevertheless, they gained skills throughout their career(s).

    Joe Calzaghe would be my choice for the Best Brit in the last 40 years who was blessed with stamina -(or was it the cocaine?) & wily reflexes,something not teachable.
    But Hamed based on that definition would make it either of the two for me!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 05-26-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    24,151
    Mentioned
    916 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1157
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Best? What does that even mean? I understand why people ask it , 'Best Song', 'Best Novel' , 'Best Actor', 'Best sports team' etc but it is almost impossible to answer.

    It is easier for those British boxers often mentioned at the top of these lists from earlier eras because they got there first, and made history before anyone else got a chance to. So naturally you usually and rightfully have Fitzsimmons. Broughton, Mace, Kid Lewis, Wilde etc who broke new ground and became the first to win certain titles, fight in new countries and often across divisions, many of them against the odds and with massive , high KO records.

    In the modern era it is much harder and you have to accept that it is much more of a subjective choice. Even seemingly very different fighters have a lot more in common. Calzaghe share the same 32 KO stoppages as Lennox Lewis which puts a bit more perspective on him being called slappy. Both of those great fighters look a bit powder puff compared to Jimmy Wilde knocking out 99 opponents when not even weighing * stone himself

    Back to the modern era though. Hamed as natural a fighter and entertainer as he was, even he could never lay claim to capturing the British publics imagination as much as Hatton. People loved ' Our Henry' and 'Big Frank' but people turned out in their thousands for Hatton and traveled the word supporting him. There was always an element of hype there, but it was built around a true entertainer who was very rarely going to give you a dull fight, win or lose. It was intoxicating stuff and Hatton truly had to work at it to get where he did, that heart for me makes up for what was missing in his boxing arsenal. Top Notch and in throwing himself in there with Floyd and Pacman he is a bit harshly dismissed because of the manner of their victories.
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,087
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    475
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Best? What does that even mean? I understand why people ask it , 'Best Song', 'Best Novel' , 'Best Actor', 'Best sports team' etc but it is almost impossible to answer.

    It is easier for those British boxers often mentioned at the top of these lists from earlier eras because they got there first, and made history before anyone else got a chance to. So naturally you usually and rightfully have Fitzsimmons. Broughton, Mace, Kid Lewis, Wilde etc who broke new ground and became the first to win certain titles, fight in new countries and often across divisions, many of them against the odds and with massive , high KO records.

    In the modern era it is much harder and you have to accept that it is much more of a subjective choice. Even seemingly very different fighters have a lot more in common. Calzaghe share the same 32 KO stoppages as Lennox Lewis which puts a bit more perspective on him being called slappy. Both of those great fighters look a bit powder puff compared to Jimmy Wilde knocking out 99 opponents when not even weighing * stone himself

    Back to the modern era though. Hamed as natural a fighter and entertainer as he was, even he could never lay claim to capturing the British publics imagination as much as Hatton. People loved ' Our Henry' and 'Big Frank' but people turned out in their thousands for Hatton and traveled the word supporting him. There was always an element of hype there, but it was built around a true entertainer who was very rarely going to give you a dull fight, win or lose. It was intoxicating stuff and Hatton truly had to work at it to get where he did, that heart for me makes up for what was missing in his boxing arsenal. Top Notch and in throwing himself in there with Floyd and Pacman he is a bit harshly dismissed because of the manner of their victories.
    True.

    For me I admit I am lacking in geography- when it comes to determinining if a Welsh fighter? Is considered as a British fighter as well? Or English?

    When BoxRec ranks Hatton as the 11th greatest European fighter of all time and fifth greatest British fighter of all time- I am not sure who is on the European list that is NOT on the British list & vice versa.

    And I totally forgot dude was named fighter of the year in 2005, he won several titles that year, just forgot which.



    Decent thread but a bit confusing- you dealt with the title (best) I dealt with his post (natural) so I am not sure where the correct answer lies!!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    24,151
    Mentioned
    916 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1157
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Best? What does that even mean? I understand why people ask it , 'Best Song', 'Best Novel' , 'Best Actor', 'Best sports team' etc but it is almost impossible to answer.

    It is easier for those British boxers often mentioned at the top of these lists from earlier eras because they got there first, and made history before anyone else got a chance to. So naturally you usually and rightfully have Fitzsimmons. Broughton, Mace, Kid Lewis, Wilde etc who broke new ground and became the first to win certain titles, fight in new countries and often across divisions, many of them against the odds and with massive , high KO records.

    In the modern era it is much harder and you have to accept that it is much more of a subjective choice. Even seemingly very different fighters have a lot more in common. Calzaghe share the same 32 KO stoppages as Lennox Lewis which puts a bit more perspective on him being called slappy. Both of those great fighters look a bit powder puff compared to Jimmy Wilde knocking out 99 opponents when not even weighing * stone himself

    Back to the modern era though. Hamed as natural a fighter and entertainer as he was, even he could never lay claim to capturing the British publics imagination as much as Hatton. People loved ' Our Henry' and 'Big Frank' but people turned out in their thousands for Hatton and traveled the word supporting him. There was always an element of hype there, but it was built around a true entertainer who was very rarely going to give you a dull fight, win or lose. It was intoxicating stuff and Hatton truly had to work at it to get where he did, that heart for me makes up for what was missing in his boxing arsenal. Top Notch and in throwing himself in there with Floyd and Pacman he is a bit harshly dismissed because of the manner of their victories.
    True.

    For me I admit I am lacking in geography- when it comes to determinining if a Welsh fighter? Is considered as a British fighter as well? Or English?

    When BoxRec ranks Hatton as the 11th greatest European fighter of all time and fifth greatest British fighter of all time- I am not sure who is on the European list that is NOT on the British list & vice versa.

    And I totally forgot dude was named fighter of the year in 2005, he won several titles that year, just forgot which.



    Decent thread but a bit confusing- you dealt with the title (best) I dealt with his post (natural) so I am not sure where the correct answer lies!!

    Since 1707 the Kingdom of Great Britain now usually referred to as The United Kingdom or Britain has included all the countries/nations in the British Isles (Islands) .

    England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland

    are all and have all been considered British since that date.

    Scotland and Wales have the ability to make their own rules and have their own Parliaments.

    The closest thing I can imagine in the US is states. They are all considered part of the USA but can make their own laws etc.

    It would be a bit like me asking if Floyd Mayweather was considered American because he was born in Michigan.


    Back on topic for the last 40 years probably has to be Calzaghe even with Lewis bringing the Heavyweight title back after ..100 years? ( something like that) but Hatton was a throwback to the 'Prizefighter' exhibition booth / traveling boxer roots in many ways more than Fury.

    Fury supposedly being the people's champion makes me laugh. He is so full of shite. Doesn't want to be considered English despite being born here, then still wants to fight for those titles and grab those fans. Pretends it's not about the money then moans about the money, says he is all action then mouths off for God knows how long, whilst being inactive. Is a drug cheat and then preaches about being an example. They can say he is a fascinating character and the mass of contradictions that many great fighters are, but he does not represent fair play or any other British values and yet people love him, and pretend that Joshua who despite being a bit vanilla, is nowhere near as fake, is the phony.

    Odd.

    Credit where it is due Fury's fight against Wlad was a masterclass but for some Brits to then watch AJ get up after getting floored in a British classic against Wlad, bite down on his gumshield and tear the win from him, and still...still question his heart is beyond me.

    Look at many of them now pretending and insisting that Fury fighting Wilder is an example of AJ running scared.

    Mental
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,494
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1694
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    AJ looked terrible in the second ruiz fight

    and Bruno never lost a fight over 6 rounds apart from Tyson








    Bonecrusher Smith, Lewis & Witherspoon all beat Bruno in rounds 10, 7, 11

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,542
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    746
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    AJ looked terrible in the second ruiz fight

    and Bruno never lost a fight over 6 rounds apart from Tyson








    Bonecrusher Smith, Lewis & Witherspoon all beat Bruno in rounds 10, 7, 11
    all three fights he won the first 6 rounds
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,746
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    531
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Frank Bruno

    Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

    and the second fight he was mentally ill

    AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    AJ looked terrible in the second ruiz fight

    and Bruno never lost a fight over 6 rounds apart from Tyson








    Bonecrusher Smith, Lewis & Witherspoon all beat Bruno in rounds 10, 7, 11
    all three fights he won the first 6 rounds
    How many times are you gonna get pulled up for wrong statements on this thread and then change the goalposts? This is beginning to sound like the monty python sketch “what have the Romans ever done fo us.”
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Stateside want to do a Brit a favour ??
    By Mark TKO in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2021, 06:13 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
  4. Brit fighters...
    By THE PHILOSOPHER in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 10:32 AM
  5. Could a brit be P4P #1 soon ?
    By gudnite vienna in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing