Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best Brit of the last 40 yrs

Of course best is open to a bit of interpretation but overall I'd vote for Calzaghe, he best Kessler pretty well and Kessler went on to have a pretty good career, he beat froch fairly comfortably first time out I(and the judges) thought and he went on to be pretty good... Calzaghe also overcame an fairly old but still going strong Hopkins, I wanted Hopkins to win and I just don't see how you could give him that win... Calzaghe went undefeated for such a long and even though he lacks a lot of prime big names I think he did pretty great.. (I forgot about the lacy demolition :S)

Of course Hamed was something else at the time but Barrera really did him in, great talent though but I'd stick with Joe...

Also Hatton deserves a mention too he only lost to two legends, as annoying as floyd is he's just a great boxer and Pacman was on a rampage at that time. And Hatton despite being quite a drunk away from the ring got himself in shape and won a good few fights... Now there's talent!

And obviously I haven't seen a lot of the other guys mentioned, I was pretty young when benn and Eubank were around, Hamed was the first one I can remember well.

And of course lennox isn't mentioned as he's the number 1 Canadian of the last 40 years

https://images.app.goo.gl/urVb1jrXHPece1w49
    Last edited by palmerq; 05-27-2021 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Best? What does that even mean? I understand why people ask it , 'Best Song', 'Best Novel' , 'Best Actor', 'Best sports team' etc but it is almost impossible to answer.

It is easier for those British boxers often mentioned at the top of these lists from earlier eras because they got there first, and made history before anyone else got a chance to. So naturally you usually and rightfully have Fitzsimmons. Broughton, Mace, Kid Lewis, Wilde etc who broke new ground and became the first to win certain titles, fight in new countries and often across divisions, many of them against the odds and with massive , high KO records.

In the modern era it is much harder and you have to accept that it is much more of a subjective choice. Even seemingly very different fighters have a lot more in common. Calzaghe share the same 32 KO stoppages as Lennox Lewis which puts a bit more perspective on him being called slappy. Both of those great fighters look a bit powder puff compared to Jimmy Wilde knocking out 99 opponents when not even weighing * stone himself

Back to the modern era though. Hamed as natural a fighter and entertainer as he was, even he could never lay claim to capturing the British publics imagination as much as Hatton. People loved ' Our Henry' and 'Big Frank' but people turned out in their thousands for Hatton and traveled the word supporting him. There was always an element of hype there, but it was built around a true entertainer who was very rarely going to give you a dull fight, win or lose. It was intoxicating stuff and Hatton truly had to work at it to get where he did, that heart for me makes up for what was missing in his boxing arsenal. Top Notch and in throwing himself in there with Floyd and Pacman he is a bit harshly dismissed because of the manner of their victories.
    True.

For me I admit I am lacking in geography- when it comes to determinining if a Welsh fighter? Is considered as a British fighter as well? Or English?

When BoxRec ranks Hatton as the 11th greatest European fighter of all time and fifth greatest British fighter of all time- I am not sure who is on the European list that is NOT on the British list & vice versa.

And I totally forgot dude was named fighter of the year in 2005, he won several titles that year, just forgot which.

Decent thread but a bit confusing- you dealt with the title (best) I dealt with his post (natural) so I am not sure where the correct answer lies!!

Since 1707 the Kingdom of Great Britain now usually referred to as The United Kingdom or Britain has included all the countries/nations in the British Isles (Islands) .

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland

are all and have all been considered British since that date.

Scotland and Wales have the ability to make their own rules and have their own Parliaments.

The closest thing I can imagine in the US is states. They are all considered part of the USA but can make their own laws etc.

It would be a bit like me asking if Floyd Mayweather was considered American because he was born in Michigan.

Back on topic for the last 40 years probably has to be Calzaghe even with Lewis bringing the Heavyweight title back after ..100 years? ( something like that) but Hatton was a throwback to the 'Prizefighter' exhibition booth / traveling boxer roots in many ways more than Fury.

Fury supposedly being the people's champion makes me laugh. He is so full of shite. Doesn't want to be considered English despite being born here, then still wants to fight for those titles and grab those fans. Pretends it's not about the money then moans about the money, says he is all action then mouths off for God knows how long, whilst being inactive. Is a drug cheat and then preaches about being an example. They can say he is a fascinating character and the mass of contradictions that many great fighters are, but he does not represent fair play or any other British values and yet people love him, and pretend that Joshua who despite being a bit vanilla, is nowhere near as fake, is the phony.

Odd.

Credit where it is due Fury's fight against Wlad was a masterclass but for some Brits to then watch AJ get up after getting floored in a British classic against Wlad, bite down on his gumshield and tear the win from him, and still...still question his heart is beyond me.

Look at many of them now pretending and insisting that Fury fighting Wilder is an example of AJ running scared.

Mental

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Frank Bruno

Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

and the second fight he was mentally ill

AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    AJ looked terrible in the second ruiz fight

and Bruno never lost a fight over 6 rounds apart from Tyson

Bonecrusher Smith, Lewis & Witherspoon all beat Bruno in rounds 10, 7, 11
    all three fights he won the first 6 rounds
    How many times are you gonna get pulled up for wrong statements on this thread and then change the goalposts? This is beginning to sound like the monty python sketch “what have the Romans ever done fo us.”

Gotta admit I didn't see that one coming, but it was a funny comeback!!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Frank Bruno

Greatest fighter in history lb4lb over 6 rounds
    Except Tyson beat him in 5 and 3 rounds.
    proves nothing, Tyson was his bogey man

and the second fight he was mentally ill

AJ lost to Ruiz and struggle badly second time, doesnt make Ruiz better
    But did he though?
    No he did not but Erics44 sees things others do not.
    AJ looked terrible in the second ruiz fight

and Bruno never lost a fight over 6 rounds apart from Tyson

Bonecrusher Smith, Lewis & Witherspoon all beat Bruno in rounds 10, 7, 11
    How many times are you gonna get pulled up for wrong statements on this thread and then change the goalposts? This is beginning to sound like the monty python sketch “what have the Romans ever done fo us.”
    he was battering lewis, 6 nil easy and the KO punch was a hail mary out of frustration

smith he was 9 and a half nil up
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So is it fair to say Bruno's conqueror Mike Tyson is the greatest 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 round champion in history?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    So is it fair to say Bruno's conqueror Mike Tyson is the greatest 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 round champion in history?
    Just lucky enough to be the bogey man of the Greatest Global lb4lb Heavyweight in History over 6 rounds
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox
    Calzaghe
    Benn

Thread Information