Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny vs Spence

This year man . Actually warmed to this one and then just poof. Gone. Detached retina for Spence. That's no joke and another road to return from. Spence has managed to acquire more career threating damage outside of the ring than in it. Crazy thing is now Ugas..who was going to fight Spence only to be bumped not gets the cash cow as late sub..and champion holding the trinket that was taken from Manny . Enough to make you dizzy.

Well hope Spence heals up proper. Manny v Ugas is a decent match up and if anything I'm glad Ugas is finally getting his earned big shot. They should scrap the non existent undercard and the PPV charge and give us a stand alone main attraction.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao vs Errol Spence Jr called off due to injury as late replacement called up

Errol Spence Jr will not fight Manny Pacquiao as planned but Yordenis Ugas has been called up as a replacement

Errol Spence Jr is out of his bout with Manny Pacquiao next week due to a torn retina in his left eye.

Yordenis Ugas, who was supposed to be defending his welterweight title on the undercard will now step up and replace him.

It means there will be a new opponent for boxing legend Pacquiao to prepare for at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

He will return to the ring on August 21 where he will look to add another victory to his glittering career.

Pacquiao, 42, has been out of the ring for two years and was meant to return against Spence Jr.

Instead, he will now face Ugas and his long-time coach Freddie Roach insists the boxer is in terrific shape.

Roach said: "Manny doesn’t need to play his golden oldies. He is still producing new hits.

"He hasn’t cut one corner in training camp. Not one. He runs up the hills in Griffith Park straight to the Hollywood sign.

"He crunches thousands of sit-ups daily. He spars three days each week and hits every bag on the gym floor with bad intentions every day.

"He is still the hardest worker I have ever trained and an eager student. He wants this one more than anything.

"Manny isn’t training this hard to say goodbye. It’s to prove he’s still here. Philippine politics might influence when Manny hangs up his gloves.

"Maybe this is Manny’s last fight. But this summer, he has been training for his greatest victory, and for Manny, that is saying something.

"It’s the stuff that greatness is made of."

Pacquiao’s last match was against 32-year-old Keith Thurman in July 2019 in which he won.

He could have returned in a popular exhibition match for big payday like Floyd Mayweather and Mike Tyson have recently.

Instead, the legend wants to further enhance his legacy in the sport.

"I could have fought several easy opponents. I picked the best opponent because I want to add more to my legacy and accomplishments. I have to prove that I’m not done yet," he said.

"We have a strategy that we know how to use against a southpaw. He wants to fight toe-to-toe and that’s going to be to my advantage. We’re prepared for anything. If he wants to use his reach advantage instead, we are ready."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...oxing-24731817
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

manny swerves getting bounced. out of the fire but still not out of the frying pan
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This year man . Actually warmed to this one and then just poof. Gone. Detached retina for Spence. That's no joke and another road to return from. Spence has managed to acquire more career threating damage outside of the ring than in it. Crazy thing is now Ugas..who was going to fight Spence only to be bumped not gets the cash cow as late sub..and champion holding the trinket that was taken from Manny . Enough to make you dizzy.

Well hope Spence heals up proper. Manny v Ugas is a decent match up and if anything I'm glad Ugas is finally getting his earned big shot. They should scrap the non existent undercard and the PPV charge and give us a stand alone main attraction.
    Big blow for boxing. Unfortunately we've been here many times.
    I got Pac over Ugas.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Everything is at stake' - Manny Pacquiao hints at retirement

Manny Pacquiao could hang up his gloves after fighting Yordenis Ugas, according to the man himself.

Pacquiao, 42, will face Ugas with the WBA (Super) welterweight title on the line on Saturday night in front of a 18,000-strong capacity crowd at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Ugas will replace the injured Errol Spence Jr in Sky Sport's main event after he was announced as Pacquiao's new opponent.

The 42-year-old will be fighting for the first time since he beat Keith Thurman Jr in July 2019 with the goal of winning back the belt he lost earlier this year due to inactivity.

And Pacquiao, who was linked to a super fight against UFC star Conor McGregor only as recently as last month, knows the time to quit is fast approaching.

“I feel great. My team has full confidence in my capabilities even at 42 years old and they note that I still have what it takes to face elite caliber opponents," he told Betway Insider.

“Although the recuperation period of a 42-year-old may not be the same as a 25-year-old fighter, I still love what I am doing. I’m enjoying training and I’m learning more about myself everyday.

“Everything is top secret, of course. I’m training and challenging myself daily and I am inspired to perform at my best owing to the fact that this might be my last fight."

Pacquiao looks to be in the best shape of his life but Ugas is a very live underdog.

The WBA (Super) welterweight champion has just four defeats on his record and will stop at nothing to put another legend on his ledger.

And Pacquiao says he is leaving nothing to chance as he looks to bow out with a bang.

“I’ve never given predictions. I always climb the ring ready and prepared for everything," Pacquiao added.

“Everything is at stake as this might be my last fight. I might as well finish the race with a spectacular performance.

“Legacies are subjective to the minds of the fans. Of course, a win for me after so long out would be very grand for my country and family.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny vs Ugas

Manny Pacquiao has been backed to win his title fight against Yordenis Ugas but won't knock him out because he's a 'big, strong guy'.

Pacquiao faces Cuban boxer Ugas on August 21 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

And due to the former's body of work, which includes twelve major world titles in eight different weight divisions, he goes into the fight as a heavy betting favourite.

Former IBF super-featherweight world champion Robert Garcia, the older brother of Mikey Garcia, is also siding with the bookies but warns Ugas is a 'dangerous' opponent for anybody, let alone one of the all-time greats.

Garcia, 46, told boxing reporter Elie Seckbach: "It'll be awesome, man, I gotta think Pacquiao's going to win.

"I was actually leaning Pacquiao against Spence, because he's 42, going on 43 already, and nobody believes he can do it, he was going to do whatever it takes to win.

"I still think, you know, the odds, Spence should've won, me thinking Pacquiao could pull it off, they probably think I'm wrong, but I think he was going to give it his last f------ grain of greatness, and he was going to pull it off, I thought.

"Now, it's Ugas, dangerous guy also, big, strong guy, but I think Pacquiao will be too f------ fast, man, I pick Pacquiao.

"Decision, I don't think he's going to knock him out, Ugas is very strong."

Further, Garcia said that while Pacquiao has spoken openly about retiring from professional boxing, he believes he is more than capable of beating Gennady Golovkin.

"He could probably beat Triple G, right now it'd be pretty even, he may be a bit heavy," he added.

"One of the greatest, one of the greatest ever. It's not his fault that the Spence fight didn't happen, but just by taking the Spence fight and getting ready to fight Spence, especially if he was to beat him, the greatest ever.

"But, you know, obviously that didn't happen, still taking the chance against Ugas, I think he's going to be one of the greatest of all time, you know, obviously with Muhammad Ali being the greatest of all time, we can't call him the greatest, but he will be remembered as one of the greatest.

"It's not too difficult, it's just most of your career you're always training and fighting right-handers, so when you get a leftie, it's not the same."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find it a bit amusing to hear the talk of Manny talking retirement- as if he hasn't already retired & unretired! While he is faster than Ugas- he isn't as fast as he once was. And I wasn't aware how durable Ugas was. Looking at his first few losses -he really raised his game against Porter. Right shot wrong place, if could be over for Pac. Kinda getting the feeling he is doing what all greats do: take one dangerous fight too many.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From humble beginnings in Cuba to WBA champion via a controversial loss to Shawn Porter and now sharing the ring with Manny Pacquiao: The long, hard-fought rise of Yordenis Ugas.

It certainly isn't the fight that was intended. For eight-division legend Manny Pacquiao, the prospect of returning to the boxing ring after two years away could only be envisaged if he was fighting someone of great stature.

The undefeated WBC and IBF champion Errol Spence Jr fit the bill perfectly, until fate stepped in and changed the fortunes of two men.

First Spence Jr, whose retinal tear in his left eye means he won't be, possibly, the last person to fight the great Pacquiao.

But also, the man who has stepped in to fill Spence Jr's shoes on Saturday night and go toe-to-toe with the 42-year-old Filipino: Cuban WBA champion Yordenis Ugas.

While perhaps not regarded as being on the same level as a Spence Jr or Terence Crawford, Ugas' last-minute drafting into this contest contains a tantalising back story that could add some spice to the fight at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

He was elevated to WBA Super welterweight champion after Pacquiao was stripped of the very same title for more than 20 months' inactivity, meaning Ugas' first defence of his new title is against the legend he took it from.

But where did Ugas come from to be the stand-in for Spence Jr, and deemed a worthy opponent to one of boxing's greatest?

Humble beginnings

Ugas grew up in Santiago, Cuba and comes from a rich history of amateur boxing excellence in the country. Like so many before him, he found focus, discipline and enjoyment in the sport.

The 35-year-old dreamt big from the start, hoping to become an Olympic champion, the highest accolade a boxer based in communist Cuba can aim for unless they leave to pursue a professional career.

Ugas' promise turned into global success early on when he became the under-17 world champion in 2003, but lost the title the following year to a certain Amir Khan of Great Britain.

Undeterred, Ugas continued honing his craft and was rewarded by winning gold at the 2005 World Championships and then bronze at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

Having proven he could mix it with the best of the amateur circuit, Ugas took the unsurprising decision to pursue a professional boxing career and in March 2010 moved to America to fulfil his dream.

Ugas' professional career got off to a flying start, with the Cuban winning his first 11 fights on the trot before losing on a split decision to Johnny Garcia in March 2012.

He spent the next seven years finding relative success in mid-tier boxing matches, until he made the sport stand up and take notice with a demolition of Ray Robinson in February 2018 after knocking the American out in the seventh round.

The nature of the contest drew attention to Ugas' huge power, which the Cuban used to devastating effect against Robinson.

Two more successive victories followed and saw Ugas land his first world title fight in March 2019 against then WBC welterweight champion Shawn Porter.

A bruising encounter saw Ugas make good use of his power. Though Porter showed tremendous grit, the Cuban finished the fight the stronger of the two, only to suffer what is widely regarded as a highly controversial split-decision loss.

Two judges scored the fight in Porter's favour 116-112 and 115-113, while the other gave the contest to Ugas 117-111. The crowd in the arena booed resoundingly as the result was announced.

Fortunately, Ugas didn't have long to wait for another title shot after easing to dominant points victories over Omar Figueroa and then Mike Dallas Jr. He fought Abel Ramos for the vacant WBA welterweight title in September last year, and once again dominated proceedings.

For many Ugas had shown that he deserved a place at boxing's top table after the Porter fight, but here he made certain by taking the WBA belt despite some questionable scoring once more that made it a split-decision victory. The wider consensus is that Ugas won comfortably, whatever the judges thought.

Now, Ugas sits on the precipice of boxing history with the opportunity to take down Pacquiao and write his name into the history books.

For all the hype and pressure that comes with posing for fight photos alongside the Pac-Man, Ugas has remained steadfastly humble, as he has throughout his boxing career.

He didn't show much anger after the Porter debacle, instead eager to move on at the time, though earlier this week he did post footage from the fight and wrote: 'For most, I had to become a world champion in March 2019', referring explicitly to the Porter fight.

After being confirmed as Pacquiao's new opponent instead of Spence Jr, he was quick to write a public tribute to the American, who he was initially slated to fight before the Filipino made his interest known.

Even his pre-fight patter has been respectful, with Ugas saying: 'I'm so honoured to be fighting a legend like Manny Pacquiao. I am really looking forward to stepping inside the ring on Saturday night.

'It would mean a lot for me (to retire Pacquiao) because if I am the final guy that steps foot inside the ring with Manny Pacquiao, I want to make sure that I brought everything and got the best out of him. I know together we will make a great fight.'

As a world champion boxer, Ugas is one of the most famous Cubans on the planet, and in between social media posts about the sport and heart-warming messages to his mum on her birthday, he has become a vocal critic of the Castro regime in his homeland.

He has dedicated Saturday's fight against the Filipino to all the Cubans who protested against the regime on July 11, with many suffering brutal consequences.

'I am a fighter not only inside the ring, but outside I also fight for the freedom of my people,' Ugas told reporters at a pre-fight press conference earlier this week.

'That is the most important thing to me. I hope that all those who fight for freedom in Cuba are safe and know that I will fight for them on Saturday.'

It may be foolish to bet against Pacquiao, even after two years away from the ring and at the age of 42, because the Filipino legend has seen and done pretty much everything in the ring over his long, illustrious career.

But it may also be wrong to write-off Ugas, a fighter who has climbed up boxing's ladder from the very bottom to the very top, and carries the weight of an expectant, hopeful nation on his shoulders.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/bo...enis-Ugas.html

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was elevated to WBA Super welterweight champion after Pacquiao was stripped of the very same title for more than 20 months' inactivity, meaning Ugas' first defence of his new title is against the legend he took it from.

Topic sentence there!

He appears to be a bit better than his record suggest, kinda like Glencoffe Johnson's record. I am starting to like this fight, but aware it isnt a swan song for Pac.

Pac loses, he's old, that's why. He wins, well he beat a guy few know of. End result if Ugas wins big, then he will be overlooked as a high risk low reward fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Topic sentence there!

He appears to be a bit better than his record suggest, kinda like Glencoffe Johnson's record. I am starting to like this fight, but aware it isnt a swan song for Pac.

Pac loses, he's old, that's why. He wins, well he beat a guy few know of. End result if Ugas wins big, then he will be overlooked as a high risk low reward fight.
    Ugas is definitely a tale of two careers a bit. I recall thinking the Imam fight could have gone his way and then he takes over 2 years off and comes back fully recharged beating respectable opposition and now stands to fight and possibly beat an ATG. The Porter fight was right there and I believe had him edging it. It was one of those where Porter tried to Peter Pan it and stayed on his toes and impersonated some defensive wiz. Meanwhile Ugas played aggressor much of it and to me was sharper amd kept the momentum. This should be a fun fight and interested to see where Manny is at and how he'll try to walk in on Ugas.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember when Manny used to fight and this place would crash . 101 fanboys frothing at the mouth with 101 repeat threads and mods playing whack-a-mole. Anyone paying for this or find a linky thing?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is 3.40 am but had to get up for a Manny Pac fight. It could be his last.

Ceja is murdering the body of Magsayo to dominate the fight so far but only started watching at round 6.

A fox ppv. Awful for boxing. On normal Sky over here which is a rarity.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holy hell!!!

Magsayo turns the fight on its head and knocks out Ceja cold with right hand in round 10. He went for broke and got the win.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good evening chaps. Bad KO. Got knocked out, was going down in slow motion and then took a full on punch flush to the jaw from a fighter who had time to reset and put everything into the punch on the way down. That will have caused some damage.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 2 war horses Guerrero and Ortiz both starting sharply in the first round and hurting one another.

Thread Information