Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny vs Spence

If that's his response, then sounds true he does need the money.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter officially ordered by the WBO with Manny Pacquiao vs Errol Spence already set to take place next month

The WBO have officially ordered Terence Crawford to defend his WBO welterweight world title against Shawn Porter.

Following his knockout of Kell Brook last year, it’s been unclear what fight would come next for Crawford.

The American became embroiled in spat with his promoter Bob Arum as both were frustrated over his current situation.

Crawford is a three-weight world champion and widely regarded as one of the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the entire sport today.

However, he is yet to face a fellow truly world class fighter in their prime who comes close to his level.

The vast majority of the big-name fighters at welterweight today are signed with Al Haymon’s PBC, who rarely do business with Arum’s Top Rank.

The super-fight all boxing fans want to see between Crawford and Errol Spence looks further away than ever for this reason.

Spence has been able to face the top names at welterweight also signed with PBC such as Shawn Porter, Mikey Garcia and Danny Garcia.

Now, he’s even secured his biggest fight yet against Manny Pacquiao on August 21.

With fighters such as Porter out of his reach, Crawford has had to settle for facing lesser-known opposition and so been unable to generate big PPV numbers – part of the reason for the spat with his own promoter.

Now though, the WBO have thrown him a lifeline by ordering the bout with Porter.

Both parties have 30 days to negotiate, or the WBO will set a purse bids hearing with the split decided as 60/40 in the champion’s favour.

Crawford and Porter are friends outside the ring, but have recently said they would put this aside to fight.

Now we will see if they can force boxing’s politics to one side and give fans a fantastic welterweight title fight to look forward to this year.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...-errol-spence/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I predict Crawford vs Porter will be contender for FOTY.

Manny at this stage is an anomaly. Not sure what to expect from a 42 year old who has engaged in some serious wars. Father time has been eluded by very few. Leonard, Whittaker, Jones Jr, Hopkins, DLH. Lennox Lewis came oh so close!

Pac wins he wants Crawford? Man that would make him a top 10 ATG. No question about it!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Curious to see how Crawford will handle Porter's headfirst rushes. I swear if I see Porter get KTFO'ed... I'll record the fight and watch it every now and then. He's a nice enough guy... but I can't stand that style of (cough) "boxing." To me, it's a great "go-to" when you don't have the boxing skills or talent to compete in a clean, esthetically-pleasing boxing match.

Go BUD!!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao's head trainer, Freddie Roach, admits he wanted his fighter to face Mikey Garcia instead of the undefeated Errol Spence

Freddie Roach, the long-time head coach of multiple-weight boxing champion Manny Pacquiao, has revealed he didn't want his fighter to face Errol Spence.

Pacquiao will attempt to capture Spence's WBC and IBF welterweight titles when they fight on August 21 in Las Vegas while the vacant 'The Ring' welterweight title will also be on the line.

Spence will have a five-inch reach and almost a four-inch height advantage over Pacquiao, something that has been a common occurrence for 'Pacman' since he has started fighting at heavier weight classes.

But renowned boxing trainer Roach admitted he wanted Pacquiao to fight four-division world champion Mikey Garcia instead of Spence, but admires the Filipino for taking the tougher fight.

“He wasn’t my first choice. I was leaning toward Mikey Garcia, because he challenged us several times and so forth. When Manny picked Spence, I said, ‘Congratulations, you picked the best guy out there.’” Roach told Yahoo Sports.

The 42-year-old Pacquiao hasn't fought since defeating Keith Thurman by decision in July 2019. Spence, who is eleven years younger than Pacquiao, is undefeated in his professional career and defeated Danny Garcia by decision this past December.

Roach said that he hopes Pacquiao can fight Spence the same way he fought Antonio Margarito in 2010.

Pacquiao fought four weight classes above his usual super featherweight category, winning the WBC super welterweight title against Margarito who towered over Pacquiao in the ring.

"Manny was in and out, in and out, and when he does that, his opponent doesn’t know whether he’s coming or going,” Roach said.

“When he breaks in with a combination, he can’t sit in the pocket. If he sits in the pocket, he’ll get hit back and this guy is a good puncher. He’s got to get in, hit and get out right away.

"And you can’t just go straight right in on him. You have to use an angle. Manny’s been doing that quite a bit and footwork is the key to winning this fight. Manny’s footwork is better than anyone’s. He’s on his toes and he can do it for 12 rounds.”

The age gap between the two fighters is something Spence thinks is irrelevant while 'The Truth' also feels Pacquiao's ability to always stay in fighting shape is an integral part of his success.

“Just because he’s 42, about to turn 43, that doesn’t mean nothing. He doesn’t blow up in weight. He don’t get 20, 30 pounds out of weight, he’s not doing outside things that don’t distract him," Spence said.

"I feel like he’s a boxer 24/7 all year round. I feel like that helps him also with his age and things like that. So, that’s why I feel like he’s basically gonna be [the same fighter]."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...oxing-24618214

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao reveals his two favourite wins but says beating Errol Spence Jr will put him ‘among the all-time greats’

DESPITE 71 fights, titles in eight divisions and already making history, beating Errol Spence Jr could be Manny Pacquiao's personal career highlight.

The Filipino icon looks to roll back the years and defy the odds once more when he challenges unbeaten Spence for welterweight titles in Vegas on August 21.

A win for Pacquiao, to his own admission, will put him among boxing's greatest and potentially eclipse his two most memorable nights.

The first was when he beat Lehlohonolo Ledwaba in 2001 for the super-bantamweight world title - his first fight with trainer Freddie Roach.

Then, seven years later Pacquiao catapulted himself to superstardom after battering Oscar De La Hoya into retirement.

And despite all the glory between and after those special wins, dethroning Spence, 31, at the ripe old age of 42 could put PacMan alongside the sport's absolute best.

In an exclusive interview with SunSport, Pacquiao said: “We recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of my US debut where I beat Lehlo Ledwaba to win his IBF junior featherweight title.

"That was certainly special because it was also my first fight with Freddie.

"The fight that had the biggest impact on my career was against Oscar De La Hoya. Everything changed for me after that one.

"I got a lot of satisfaction beating Matthysse, Broner and Thurman in a 12-month period, becoming the oldest man to win a welterweight title.

"Beating Errol Spence would be very special to me for all the obvious reasons and could elevate me into the discussion of being among the all-time greats in the sport.

"We have a lot of hard work left to do first for that to happen.”

Pacquiao will have been out the ring for over two years when he returns in Las Vegas, having last fought in July 2019 when he beat Keith Thurman, 32.

Thurman had promised to usher the boxing icon into retirement - but instead lost his WBA belt and unbeaten record.

Spence will also be defending his WBC and IBF titles as well as a 27-fight undefeated run and claimed he is the man to knock Pacquiao out of the sport.

PacMan knows he is once more dealing with an American pound-for-pound star looking to profit like never before by beating the ring legend.

But defending his honour for his loyal followers is what inspires him most as the golden oldie opened up about continuing to fight the best in the world.

Pacquiao said: “It is easy. I love boxing. It is my passion.

"But I also want to give the fans a good performance and that is one of the many motivations for me train as hard as I do.

"To be at your best takes hard work. I want to win and show everyone I can still compete at the highest level.

"Errol Spence is not just one of the best welterweights, he is one of the best fighters.

"He is young, undefeated and a world champion. He also wants to knock my head off. That is all the motivation I need.”

Pacquiao has become beloved by boxing fans for his dazzling performances and reputation for the challenging the best in the business.

But after such a long lay-off, and no tune-up bout in between, even his most passionate and adoring supporters were shocked when Spence was chosen as the comeback opponent.

One man not surprised in the slightest was Hall of Fame trainer Roach - who has cornered Pacquiao against the greatest fighters over two decades.

But that was during PacMan's prime, as they now enter uncharted territory in their 37th fight together.

Roach said: "Manny has fought a lot of good fighters, he's fought better fighters than Spence along the way, but he wasn't 42 back then.

"This opponent is a little bit flat-footed, but he's a big puncher and someone we can't stay in the pocket with. We've got to box and stay smart.

"But Manny's work ethic is still there, he works his ass off everyday, he trains hard. He's getting better and better as training camp goes on."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15705...rol-spence-jr/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A Pac win secures his name in the ATG discussion

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FLOYD MAYWEATHER VICTIMS COLLIDE ON MANNY PACQUIAO VS. ERROL SPENCE JR.

Former Floyd Mayweather victims Robert Guerrero and Victor Ortiz will attempt to roll back the years on the undercard on Manny Pacquiao vs. Errol Spence Jr.

Both men fought as lost against Mayweather in World Boxing Council welterweight title contests in 2011 and 2013, respectively.

Ortiz got controversially knocked out in the fourth round by Floyd Mayweather. Guerrero managed to go the distance with the ex-pound-for-pound king.

Now, the pair hope to move closer to a possible final championship fling with victory on the undercard of Mayweather rival Pacquiao.

Guerrero, who holds a record of 36-6-1, 20 KOs, is a three-time world champion who has won world titles at featherweight and super featherweight.

“Ghost” has also fought a stacked lineup of elite fighters, including Floyd Mayweather, during a superb career.

The Gilroy, California native returned from a 2017 defeat to Omar Figueroa Jr. to win his last three contests.

After stopping Adam Mates in December 2018 and Levinson Herrera in March 2019, Guerrero most recently won a unanimous decision over Gerald Thomas in September 2019.

The seasoned veteran is looking forward to the opportunity.

“It’s great to be back in the ring, especially on a big card like Pacquiao vs. Spence,” said Guerrero. “It was an honor to kick off the first PBC fight on network television, and here I am once again, ready to put on a spectacular show for the fans.

“Victor Ortiz and I were always on a collision course to fight, and now it’s finally happening. One thing I know for sure, we are going to throw blows, and the fans are going to see an all-out war.

“My time out of the ring has only fueled my desire to give the fans a great fight. Everyone should order this pay-per-view and get their popcorn ready.

“It’s going to be fireworks from top to bottom.”

Ortiz, 32-6-3, 25 KOs as a pro, and a former 147-pound champion, will return to the ring for the first time since a February 2018 draw against two-division champion Devon Alexander.

The 34-year-old native of Garden City, Kansas, but relocated to Ventura, California, has faced some of the top names in the 147-pound division during his career.

Ortiz won the welterweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Andre Berto in April 2011, before losing the title to Floyd Mayweather.

“I am thrilled to be back in the ring on this Pacquiao vs. Spence Jr. pay-per-view undercard August 21,” said Ortiz. “Robert Guerrero is a legend who I’ve always admired.

“I look forward to competing against him and giving fans the toe-to-toe battle they’re expecting.

“I’ve had a great camp, and I’m so excited to be part of this enormous event. Thank you to everyone who has supported me. I’m ready to make history again!”

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2021...cquiao-spence/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PBC plowing over the old bones next two weeks . Love the Ghost but he's just that and Victor Ortiz hasn't won a high level fight in a decade. But hey fans love car crashes so let's just hope it doesn't end in a draw. Next week PBC gives us Devon Alexander and Luis Collazo in separate goes two years removed from both appearing shot to pieces. Feels like you're walking into a pawn shop. Ugas v Maidana co main is nice as he was lined up for Spence first. Al Haymon..let them boyz rest man.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao vs Errol Spence Jr: Spence plans on retiring boxing legend

Errol Spence Jr. (27-0, 21 KOs) is set to take on boxing great Manny Pacquiao on August 21st at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, and he wants to 'retire' the living legend.

The IBF/WBC Welterweight Champion looks to add to his legacy when he faces the 42-year-old later this month, but he doesn't see it as the biggest fight of his career.

Although Pacquiao is still dangerous inside the ring, Spence believes that his contest against Kell Brook is still the biggest of his boxing career.

Speaking ahead of the contest in just under two weeks, Spence seemed calm and prepared, despite the legendary status of his opponent and what he can bring to the table.

He said, "It’s probably the second biggest fight [of my career]. I still feel the Kell Brook fight was the biggest fight of my career. If not for that, I’d still get here, but it would have been a lot harder road to get here.

“It solidified me in my first-world title fight. I was fighting in another man’s country in front of his fans, in front of 30,000, and stopping him for the [IBF welterweight] title.

“At that time, he was arguably the best welterweight division at the time. At that time, I felt like that was the biggest accomplishment of my career, especially as young in my career like that."

Spence gave Pacquiao credit for entering the ring with him, crediting the Filipino for being a warrior and taking such a high profile contest. He said, “I do want to retire him, and I do respect him for taking this fight and being a real fighter.

“He could have picked Joe Blow or anybody, an MMA fighter, just to get a huge paycheck. He took the biggest challenge in the division."

Pacquaio reportedly is not interested in taking some of the money fights available, such as a contest against MMA megastar Conor McGregor. Notably, Pacquaio's rival Floyd Mayweather has taken a few of these bouts against McGregor, Logan Paul, and the Japanese MMA promotion RIZIN a few years ago.

https://www.givemesport.com/1734668-...ing-legend?amp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao reveals secrets to incredible physique aged 42 which includes boxing icon playing basketball ‘daily’

MANNY PACQUIAO is proving the ball is still in his court aged 42, by keeping his incredible physique with 'daily' basketball games.

The boxing legend formerly played professional basketball in the Philippines as part of his training regime before he stopped in 2018.

But the 5ft 4in legend continues to shoot hoops for fun, as he defies age entering his 72nd fight still looking as ripped and ready to go as ever at 42.

And he will need to be as he attempts to dethrone unbeaten WBC and IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr, 31, on August 21.

As ever, Pacquiao has linked up with his long-time coach, Hall of Famer Freddie Roach in California, ahead of their 37th fight together.

But even now, Roach has to plead with the eight-division champion to give his ageing body much needed rest.

And that is one of the primary differences from the PacMan that first walked into his WildCard gym two decades ago compared to now.

In an exclusive interview, Pacquiao told SunSport: “I feel great. I am always active between training camps, which keeps me in good shape.

"I play basketball games daily which is great exercise. I listen to my body.

"If I feel that a day off from training will help my body recover, I will take a day off.

"And the next day, I feel good as new and am able to give everything Freddie asks of me in the gym.

"Freddie even encourages me to take more time in training. That is really the only change from when I was younger.”

Pacquiao first walked into Roach's gym in 2001, and in their first fight together they won the super-bantamweight world title.

PacMan became a sensation overnight Stateside with his hand and foot speed dazzling those watching on.

Fast forward 20 years and he is just as devastating, as Roach struggles to split the difference between the Pacquiao he first met to the man we see today.

He said: "He's pretty close to the same guy. His footwork is great, his hand speed and his power is very good.

"For the last two years I haven't seen him, but he's been sending me tapes of all his workouts and I sent back my thoughts on what he needs to work on and so forth.

"He still works out hard, his work ethic is really great and I'm getting the best sparring partners I can for Spence's style.

"I had to get rid of one, who just wasn't working out, he was too much of a runner and Spence is not a runner, he'll stand and fight.

"But one thing about Manny Pacquiao - he'll stand and fight back."

Pacquiao will have been out the ring over two years by the time he challenges for Spence's titles.

He has not returned since beating Keith Thurman, 32, on points in July 2019.

In the period since, his comeback fight has been postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic, leaving him housebound in the Philippines.

But Pacquiao has been ramping his political campaign, leading up to a possible presidential bid in 2022.

“I am always active between training camps, which keeps me in good shape. I play basketball games daily which is great exercise. I listen to my body.

Manny Pacquiao On Training Aged 42

Rumour has it the boxing icon has just two fights left, before bringing a close to one of the most celebrated careers of all time.

Even the man himself cannot comment on how long he has left, but hinted at fighting Spence TWICE.

He said: “That is a good question to which I do not know the answer. Let’s see how this fight goes.

"I am not looking past Errol Spence. Who knows? Our fight might be so good the fans will demand a rematch.”

Pacquiao's retirement also depends on a deal he has with Roach - but so far there is no danger of calling it a day just yet.

Roach said: "I made a deal with him ten years ago.

"I said, 'Manny, when you're all done and I tell you it's over, I want you to retire, I want no bulls***.

"I said, 'I don't want to see you get hurt in this game'. The other day he said, 'Freddie, am I an old man yet?'

"I said, 'No... not yet!'"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15788...ng-basketball/

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny's to be admired, simply for being able to perform at such high levels in a sport that typically demands much more youth.

The closest example I can think of is Tom Brady, quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL. Although football is not to be compared with boxing, it's still a physically and mentally taxing sport... and for a position such as quarterback even more so. Brady's 44, and has fans shaking their heads in disbelief that someone that old is QB for the reigning Super Bowl champions... and that he has excelled throughout his football career.

I'm a Brady fan, and I'm also a Manny fan. To me, he's a genuinely nice guy, and a wonderful ambassador to the sport. He'll be missed when he's gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence has withdrawn. Some eye injury.
    Manny now fights against Ugas instead.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Real shame this has happened.

We all really wanted to see what manny could do against him. Window probably missed now for him.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm inclined to view this as a positive for Manny.

No matter what Manny or anyone says about 2 years of inactivity being good for him, a real fight before facing a relatively young lion in Spence is a wise move.

Thread Information