Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Josh Taylor targets fight with USA superstar Terence Crawford

Josh Taylor says he wants a fight with American Terence Crawford next after beating Jose Ramirez to unify the light-welterweight division.

The Scot knocked Ramirez down twice on the way to winning by unanimous decision at the Virgin Hotel in Las Vegas on Sunday morning.

And now he is prepared to move up to welterweight to fight Crawford.

"I think two undisputed champions going at it at 147 pounds would be awesome, would be amazing," said Taylor.

"I'm not going to be short of options now, every fight is going to be huge. We'll take it and see what comes my way, we'll just ride the wave."

Taylor is now Britain's first undisputed world champion in the four-belt era after an enthralling fight against Ramirez, which took his record to 18 wins from 18.

He recorded 114-112 scores on all judges' cards to become just the fifth man in the sport to hold all four belts in a weight division; retaining his IBF and WBA titles and adding the WBO and WBC belts to his haul.

Ramirez hit the deck in the sixth round, and was toppled again in the seventh, with referee Kenny Bayless accused by the Scot of "giving" Ramirez an extra few seconds to recover which helped him get through the round.

"This has been 15 years in the making of hard work and dedication," said the 30-year-old. "It's finally paid off.

"I'm just so determined and my will to win is second to none. I did everything right this week. In the lead-up the plan was to get inside Ramirez's head and use his aggression against him and it worked well all week.

"I think the referee gave him too much time, it should have been fight over. If I had a little more time, he was really flailing, I feel the count was longer than it should have been."

'Now is the time to fight in Edinburgh'

Edinburgh's Taylor has not fought in his hometown since November 2017, when he stopped Miguel Vasquez, and he says he would love to bring a big fight back to either Edinburgh Castle, or the home of his football heroes Hibernian.

"Now is the time to get that fight at Edinburgh Castle or Easter Road," he said. "I know Easter Road are going to be up for having me there and they've said it to me a few times.

"But I'd love to fight at Edinburgh Castle. I just think that would be iconic with the castle lit up in the background."

Taylor is Scotland's first undisputed world champion in 50 years, and he paid tribute to the last man to do it - fellow Edinburgh boxer Ken Buchanan.

"I did it just like you," he said. "I'll see you when I get home. Much love. He's a legend. You gave me so much inspiration to do it, and I'm just like you. See you soon, champ."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57216405
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Taylor targets fight with USA superstar Terence Crawford

Josh Taylor next fight: Terence Crawford super-fight and Jack Catterall mandatory clash both ‘options’

The Scot could make one of the biggest fights in history or return to home soil after unifying the super-lightweight division

Josh Taylor struggled to fit all his belts around his shoulders after beating Jose Ramirez on Saturday night, and he will now have to cope with the weight of expectation too as he lines up another massive bout for his next fight.

Taylor became only fifth man in history to unify all four recognised global belts, following in the footsteps of Oleksandr Usyk, Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor and Terence Crawford.

And he mentioned the last of those when quizzed about his next move in the aftermath of his victory by unanimous decision in Las Vegas, suggesting he would move up to welterweight to fight Crawford.

“I think two undisputed champions going at it at 147 pounds would be awesome, would be amazing,” Taylor said.

“I’m not going to be short of options now, every fight is going to be huge. We’ll take it and see what comes my way, we’ll just ride the wave.”

Fighting Crawford would create political difficulties if he wanted to return to the super-lightweight division afterwards.

English fighter Jack Catterall, who has 26 professional wins and no defeats, is the mandatory challenger for the WBO belt that Ramirez had held since 2019 until he lost it to Taylor on Saturday.

“I stepped aside on the promise that I will get the winner and I am under no illusion because anything can happen, but ultimately I have allowed them to create this big undisputed title fight,” said Catterall, who was ringside in Las Vegas on a scouting mission.

“I have beaten everyone in front of me, done everything asked of me on my side.”

If Taylor were to move up to the 147-pound limit and fight Crawford, he would probably have to do it on the American’s terms as the B-side fighter, once against flying out to the States where he admitted he was “gutted” not to have his parents, friends and family ringside for the greatest achievement of his career to date.

A clash with Catterall though would clearly be made in Britain and perhaps on home soil in Edinburgh, where Taylor has not fought since November 2017.

“Now is the time to get that fight at Edinburgh Castle or Easter Road [home of Hibernian FC],” Taylor said.

“I know Easter Road are going to be up for having me there and they’ve said it to me a few times.

“But I’d love to fight at Edinburgh Castle. I just think that would be iconic with the castle lit up in the background.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/boxing/jos...amirez-1015343

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both those posts are more or less the same.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Josh should wait for Teo to come up and get some defences in then take on Crawford later.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would not be rushing to fight Crawford at all. If he can still make 140 easily I would stay right there. He's not going to knock Crawford out and judging by the cards from Saturday has no serious chance to outpoint him. I think Crawford has the edge in speed, sharpshooting, counterpunching, you name it. And before that fight happens there are a lot of hard nights in that division.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No disrespect to Taylor who is an excellent fighter & worthy champion, but Crawford needs to be thinking bigger than him right now.

Crawford moved up to 147 because the division is smoking hot & there are some killers knocking about there.

To date, Crawford has failed to secure a fight against any of the big dogs at 147 & this is something he desperately needs to do.

A fight against the undisputed super lightweight champion is not something he should be entertaining, not at least until he's beaten at least one of the big dogs, otherwise there would have been little point in him ever moving up to welterweight.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor deserves every bit praise and accomplishment off Saturday but they should slow their roll when talking Crawford. He wasn't exactly untouchable in spots v Ramirez and Crawford would widen some holes very badly with his overall style. But as stated and often repeated, Crawford is in a very deep hole of needing something..anything..major because he and Bob are literally letting it pass him by. Then factor in all the BS Arum was stringing along about getting a Manny 'mega' fight for him only to watch Spence scoop up the huge event. Arum avoids more huge fights than he makes now but maybe just maybe he'll think about the ultimate now or never showdown for his top draws. Fat chance. Crawford may be where he needs Taylor..big picture.. at this point, and respectively he should be massively pissed about it coming to that .

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on fellas where do we draw the line? A fighter is ready to step up when they say so, not us. If he doesnt, then we can clown him and say he is taking the easy way.

Floyd got a world title shot inside 2 years , 13 out his next 15 would be for world title fights. I dont ever remember anyone asking was Flyd ready- not as if he was crowned a gold medal olympian destined to break the bank. Under Arum he was just another good fighter seeking to move up & prove himself.

Lomachenko- we know the drill he began his shift taking hardest fights possible.
    Holyfield won a world title fight in 12 bouts, 6 of next 8 were all world title bouts.

These 3 guys may be considered far more skilled than Josh, but only from an amatuer standpoint if we review their time moving up & compare them to Josh.
    This dude isn't green.

Do we think if Josh fought 40+ fights as Canelo did, he would somehow gain the skills to be ready for Crawford? Who would provide that skillset?
    what would that make Josh? Can anyone envision him gaining something more? or does he at this tenure in his career have little to learn, rather how to hone what skills he has...in over 6 years' time.

IMO he aint gonna ever beat a Terrence Crawford, so that gives me a respect for him that I don't have for those carrying titles. he's steppin up when time says so, not when he thinks he is ready.

6 years pro per a dozen str8 title fights & the last 3 for world titles. yeah he's ready. Ready to show he is a solid champ, that would never give Crawford or a Spence calibure of champ a fight of their life.

Amazing to me how the most talented, skilled fighters in this day only hold a belt or two, and this Josh kid holds the WBC, WBA, WBO & IBF belts. BUT!!!
    Crawford who IMO is way more superior in skillsets hasnt held 2 belts same time since 2017.

Boxing was/is & will always be corrupt, but it has never ever been this dissected, diluted & turned upside down where the best fighters in this era only has to hold a belt or 2.
    So the hardworking average fighters collect all the other belts while the best haggle over or out of .

How did Josh become only the 5th fighter to do this and be considered not ready for world class opposition?
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 05-26-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford is a joke at 147.

He is ruining his legacy.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Crawford is a joke at 147.

He is ruining his legacy.
    I kinda wondered that too, but after seeing what just happened to Crawford vs Spence - IMO was not Bud's fault, nor Spence's causing.

Pac a former Arum fighter just --prevented us from seeing it.

Whereas when Pac was with Arum -we started to see a trend in no particular order, Rios loses to Alvarado in rematch & his reward? A Pac fight. Horn,really Arum? Bradley, Mattyhse why? Broner why? Bradley why again... I think this is where Bud is at now....with a promoter whose stable has run its course.

I can't see why else Crawford vs Spence wasn't made- taking into account Errol's time off from playing evil knievel with cars.

Fighters got too comfortable with Arum having the entire stable, but add in GBP, DAZN and others.... Arum's sizzle is about to fizzle and it seems as if all his fighters are in a kind of rut- getting continuous high profile fights.

I agree Bud is rotting like a fresh vegatable in the sun, but I can't say yet he has messed it up, rather Arum IMO has & unless Arum can restock his shelves, Bud better try a Floyd move & buy his contract out.

And what is the worst to me- got to say this- How Arum craps over his own fighter saying Bud can't sell, when he packs the arena in a state most people dont know blacks lives in, let alone has a following of tens of thousands regardless of race to see their Omaha fighter.

* Crawford hometown crowd of 11,270, after all

*in front of his largest crowd to date, 13,323 at the CHI Health Center in Crawford’s hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, the card drew the largest viewership for any boxing or MMA event on broadcast or cable television so far in 2018.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/make...wer/vi-AAKnmHC
    How can a promoter crap over his own fighter? Not sure what PPV event he failed in -got to be the B side before the A side like Pac, Floyd, Oscar, they all started at B side.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez claims Josh Taylor is running scared from him

Teofimo Lopez has responded to Josh Taylor saying that 'he's got unfinished business' as their rivalry continues to boil over ahead of a potential super-fight at some point later this year.

In October, Lopez (16-0, 12 KO's) outpointed former three-weight world champion Vasyl Lomachenko as he handed the Ukrainian his second loss in the squared circle.

Last month Taylor, 30, took a swipe at the unified lightweight world champion during a recent interview with talkSPORT.

The Tartan Tornado accused the American of incorrectly calling himself the undisputed champion as he claimed Lopez still needs to beat WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney, who fights Jorge Linares in Las Vegas on Saturday night.

Taylor said: "He’s saying he’s undisputed champion and he’s not – he’s still got the other belt to win.

"He’s got to beat Devin Haney to win the other belt, so he’s got unfinished business at lightweight to do."

Lopez Jr has retaliated by saying that Taylor is running 'scared' from him as the Scotsman is targeting a mega clash with Terence Crawford instead.

"They’re scared, that’s how I look at it," Lopez said (via East Side Boxing)."They know that I’m too fast, too smart, too sharp and I’m too strong.

"He’d rather go up to 147 because he’ll be the lighter guy, he’ll be quicker on his feet, and he’ll be able to handle himself more at 147."

"I ain’t stupid, I see how the game go," he added. "But eventually, they’re going to have to feel that pressure, and I’m going to come at them too.

"'Loma' [Vasyl Lomachenko] was the most technical fighter and I outboxed him.

"What does Josh Taylor bring to the table? He brings my belts, that’s all he does."

Taylor recently became Britain's first undisputed world champion in the four-belt era by defeating Jose Ramirez by unanimous decision in a thrilling back-and-forth unification bout on Sunday at the Virgin Hotel in Las Vegas.

But Lopez wasn't particularly impressed by his performance as he believes he still has holes in his game.

He continued: "Josh came forward too; he did the clinches [with Jose Ramirez].

"Ya’ll [sic] don’t smell it, but I do. I smell fear in all of those guys. I can see it in their face, and I can see it in their teams. They feel that pressure. I’m young, but I’m ready.

"Yeah, he’s over here saying I’ve got unfinished business at 135 when in reality I cleaned up the whole division."

However, Lopez did admit that boxing fans may have to wait a while before the two go toe-to-toe in the ring.

"I see it like this," he concluded. "I can’t go out with [George] Kambosos and move up to 140.

"Even if I did, that would be with Taylor, but he has his mandatory with this guy [Jack] Catterall, and that’s it.
    "I’ve got to finish with somebody at 135 clean."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...rtan-ntp-feeds

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Come on fellas where do we draw the line? A fighter is ready to step up when they say so, not us. If he doesnt, then we can clown him and say he is taking the easy way.

Floyd got a world title shot inside 2 years , 13 out his next 15 would be for world title fights. I dont ever remember anyone asking was Flyd ready- not as if he was crowned a gold medal olympian destined to break the bank. Under Arum he was just another good fighter seeking to move up & prove himself.

Lomachenko- we know the drill he began his shift taking hardest fights possible.
    Holyfield won a world title fight in 12 bouts, 6 of next 8 were all world title bouts.

These 3 guys may be considered far more skilled than Josh, but only from an amatuer standpoint if we review their time moving up & compare them to Josh.
    This dude isn't green.

Do we think if Josh fought 40+ fights as Canelo did, he would somehow gain the skills to be ready for Crawford? Who would provide that skillset?
    what would that make Josh? Can anyone envision him gaining something more? or does he at this tenure in his career have little to learn, rather how to hone what skills he has...in over 6 years' time.

IMO he aint gonna ever beat a Terrence Crawford, so that gives me a respect for him that I don't have for those carrying titles. he's steppin up when time says so, not when he thinks he is ready.

6 years pro per a dozen str8 title fights & the last 3 for world titles. yeah he's ready. Ready to show he is a solid champ, that would never give Crawford or a Spence calibure of champ a fight of their life.

Amazing to me how the most talented, skilled fighters in this day only hold a belt or two, and this Josh kid holds the WBC, WBA, WBO & IBF belts. BUT!!!
    Crawford who IMO is way more superior in skillsets hasnt held 2 belts same time since 2017.

Boxing was/is & will always be corrupt, but it has never ever been this dissected, diluted & turned upside down where the best fighters in this era only has to hold a belt or 2.
    So the hardworking average fighters collect all the other belts while the best haggle over or out of .

How did Josh become only the 5th fighter to do this and be considered not ready for world class opposition?
    I don't think there's any question he's proven self to be more than solid champ and capable of collecting respected scalps. What get's me is for both of these guys there is work to be done and attractive fights to be made where they're at. Collecting trinkets is fine but let's not be blinded by the shine. I'd love to see Teo come up with the beef already kicked off because honestly I think he's going to wallow and be almost a co main chasing the whole Twiller carnival stuff. You have Davis set to debut at 140 and become Taylors 'co champ' doing it. Then again Davis going to 140 to me is a lark..(the whole work to be done where he's at thing)..so guess yuck it cannot up . As a begrudging aka impatient Bud fan I think it's a bad look for him with Spence about to go legacy adding (?) world stage status and talent like Ortiz and Ennis lurking on his doorstep. But if fairness I know they lack the Taylor proven levels and accomplishments thus far. I dunno I just thought Crawford would strafe like a meteor when he started making a name moving up and always want a guy to clean out his house..at least demand promotion try..and he hasn't come close to it. Frustrating as all hell. Ask me the wheel really is in Taylors hands to do what he wants and Bud feels like a spectator.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez is the man to challenge newly-undisputed world champion Josh Taylor

Taylor beat Jose Ramirez to become undisputed world challenge and has called on Lopez to face him later this year says Barry McGuigan.

Teofimo Lopez makes his much-anticipated return in June, ten months after his career-defining victory over Vasyl Lomachenko.

Lopez defends his WBA, IBF and WBO lightweight titles against George Kambosos in Miami in what I suspect will be his final trip at 135 pounds.

He is already calling out the undisputed super lightweight champion Josh Taylor, who unified the belts last week against Jose Ramirez.

Taylor made ESPN’s pound-for-pound list for the first time this week coming in at seven, two spots below Lopez at fifth.

Congratulations to Taylor for his achievement but if he really wants to be remembered he has to step out against someone with a stellar reputation.

That opponent is Lopez, the man who beat Lomachenko. Imagine having that on your CV, the man who beat the man.

I love the way Lopez fights and takes guys out. He is huge for the weight and it’s not surprising when he hits them they retreat into their shells.

Loma looked chastened, afraid to take a risk.

It limits what you do and how you perform. That’s the reality of big time boxing.

If you exchange you run the risk of getting tagged and knocked out.

Taylor says he want to fight Terence Crawford next. I would caution against that. Why take that big a gamble when Lopez, who is untried at super lightweight, is holding out his hand?

Taylor emerged at a time when the 140 pound division was light on big names. We rushed him through to get him into position to fight for a world title in his 16th fight.

His toughest fight to date was Regis Prograis, a good fighter and a close contest.

He deserved his victory last week and the accolades that followed. But the truth is, it is not a particular strong division at this point in history.

When Lopez steps up that picture changes. He wants Taylor. He has no interest in warm-ups.

I believe Lopez can be competitive at junior welterweight and welterweight.

He is slick as well as aggressive, as good on the back foot as he is on the front. And he doesn’t get hit for such an attacking fighter.

I don’t see anybody getting in Crawford’s way. Lopez is a mammoth challenge too for Taylor but one that at least gives him a chance to go one better against a marquee name.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...newly-24206979

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor hits out at ‘Mickey Mouse’ WBA super-lightweight title fight in Atlanta

Taylor’s win against Jose Ramirez in Las Vegas last month saw him crowned undisputed world champion in the super-lightweight division.

The unanimous points victory over the Mexican-American saw him add Ramirez’s WBO and WBC titles to his own WBA and IBF belts.

It is only the fifth time that a boxer has held all four main world title belts simultaneously.

However, a fight on Saturday night between Gervonta Davis and Mario Barrios in Atlanta is being billed as a WBA super-lightweight championship contest. Both Americans are unbeaten but Taylor is unimpressed.

“Mickey Mouse title,” he tweeted. “There’s only 1 champion at Light welterweight!”

Speaking at a press conference in London on Tuesday morning, he added: “How can there be a world title fight on Saturday in this division that doesn’t include me? Whoever wins on Saturday night can’t call themselves a world champion.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...rtan-ntp-feeds

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Bud Crawford. But enough of this "he said/she said" crap where fingers point in all directions as to why Crawford hasn't fully entered the fray with the elite fighters at welterweight.

The clock continues to tick, and Bud is in danger of becoming a "what if" footnote in the annals of boxing.

At this point I'll take ANYBODY from ANY WEIGHT coming up or down to fight Crawford.

Thread Information