Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin v Ryoto Murata

That was a pretty fun ass fight even on replay. All the talk is how Golovkin had to shake ring rust and zero mention of how Murata had been out even longer . Boxing is weird like that. Slow waltzing start for GGG and Murata had a top notch 3rd where he visibly had GGG feeling those body shots. Golovkin got rolling though and Murata had to be saved from himself with corner tossing the towel after kd. Short power jab of Golovkin still one of the best in the game.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin is very good but it looks like he's pretty tired now, he's definitely at the end of his line..I can't see him being too competitive with light heavyweight Alvarez now, which is a shame as could well have two wins over a p4p top 2 guy.(i scored both a draw, but i think I was maybe a bit favorable to Alvarez in the first fight)..

Golovkin is still fun to watch though but he should stick to beating up guys like Murata his time has unfortunately past.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Golovkin is very good but it looks like he's pretty tired now, he's definitely at the end of his line..I can't see him being too competitive with light heavyweight Alvarez now, which is a shame as could well have two wins over a p4p top 2 guy.(i scored both a draw, but i think I was maybe a bit favorable to Alvarez in the first fight)..

Golovkin is still fun to watch though but he should stick to beating up guys like Murata his time has unfortunately past.
    It's amazing, you're literally the first one today I've seen mention the 160 to 175. It's like it doesn't even matter which is willfully blind. Me personally let's hope Bivol turns the 3rd match on it's head. Golovkin midsection makes Canelos mouth water and can't see it being as competitive as prior. Thought Golovkin won 1st hands down though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

I agree with this but Alvarez has a tough fight coming up and Golovkin would be a good name recognition/limited risk option for his September fight and for loads of belts too. I can definitely see it happening. Nice payday for Golovkin and easy fight to make.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are either of you two hanging around for the fights later on this evening?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Are either of you two hanging around for the fights later on this evening?
    Look what the cat dragged it . Been ok bud? Showtime card should be pretty decent. If the main airs before Midnight here...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn dazn have Garcia as a ppv....shocking behaviour, lucky dazn still has the champions league and NFL in Canada or it would be risking a cancellation from me... I see lubin v fundora is on tsn though, I'll probably have that on
    Last edited by palmerq; 04-10-2022 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Dazn autocorrected to damn... actually quite fitting.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have to love GGG and his style, but he looked rough in the first few rounds. This was different than his usual warming up/figuring out his opponent slow start- he was gulping air through his mouth in the second. He took way too many shots in this one as well- he doesn’t hold up against a bigger puncher like Canelo. I feel like Canelo is faster and more maneuverable these days as well- I would bet the under on 10 rounds- feel his body won’t take the punishment.

That being said, for yesterday’s fight, I loved the jab- he might have the best jab in boxing right now when you consider how hard he throws it. I also love his punch selection- he throws from so many angle and it is interesting to watch him throw that overhand hook to the top of the head and this sweeping uppercuts to get the other guy to open up for the straight shots. I don’t know how he doesn’t break his hands throwing some of this downward sweeping shots to the top of the head. Finally, I love GGG’s balance and positioning- that guy is always in good position to throw heavy shots.

I think he will make Canelo uncomfortable with the jab early, but feel that Canelo will take over by the mid rounds and stop GGG on cuts/ exhaustion in 9-10 rounds. Will be a great fight while it lasts though.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent analysis mikeeod.

Golovkin rarely lost rounds in his prime, was not vulnerable to the body and fought hard the full 3 minutes. He is 40 and doing fantastic for it.

I do not want him to lose to Canelo or any fighter for that matter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ggg is caught between a rock and a hard place. the canelo fight is a big payday but at forty and at one sixty eight it is an uphill battle. at one sixty he has jermall and probably zhanibek to contend with. jaime munguia could be good money and winnable. i personally think he should target jermall
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree - Golovkin has had a brilliant career, despite being avoided for most of it and robbed in his biggest fight.

He is still technically rock solid, fantastic footwork and a superb jab. Murata has a hell of a chin too as many fighters wouldn't have made it to the 9th.

However, there were some definite signs of age creeping in (and those aren't related to ring rust or time out of the ring IMO). GGG started so slowly it was almost glacial, and I do think his stamina is an issue as he was visibly blowing after a few rounds. he is definitely vulnerable to the body these days (he is 40, ffs)

I can't see how a small middleweight beats a steroid using light heavyweight Canelo, especially one with a great chin and an almost guaranteed points win.

The other issue is Golovkin's own great chin. If his stamina starts to go, I can see him taking way too much punishment against an elite fighter at this stage of his career.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony Bellew does not believe that Gennady Golovkin should take a trilogy fight with Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, after he looked ‘vulnerable’ in his fight with Ryota Murata.

GGG was visibly shaken early on against Murata, but he rallied to unleash the Golovkin of old and stop his Japanese foe in the ninth round to be crowned the unified IBF and WBA middleweight world champion.

This fight was billed as a stepping stone for a trilogy fight with Canelo, after the Mexican signed a lucrative two-fight deal with Matchroom Boxing, which included a third fight with his greatest rival.

Before that, however, Canelo must get past the WBA light heavyweight champion, Dmitry Bivol, as the pair are set to meet on May 7 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

If the Mexican is successful in that endeavour he is expected to take on Golovkin in September, but former cruiserweight world champion, Tony Bellew, does not think that will end well for the man from Kazakhstan.

“This was a perfect audition for Triple G for a third fight with Canelo,” Bellew told the DAZN Boxing Show. “If you look at it from an audition perspective, the audition was absolutely perfect.

“He looked vulnerable, he looked aged, he was being pushed back by a man who is not known as a severe puncher.

“Looking at Triple G’s side and how he should be feeling, I wouldn’t be going anywhere near Canelo if I was him.

“It’s going to end badly in my opinion. Age waits for no man, that was clear to see.

“Triple G in my opinion isn’t what he once was and ideally I don’t want to see him get brutally beaten up by Canelo in a third fight, because I think that’s what will happen.

“The reality is only one fighter has got better here and we all know who that is. He hasn’t just got better he’s got bigger and stronger… and I think it will show if they meet for a third time.”

Bellew went on to recommend that Golovkin retires from boxing adding: “There’s a number of fighters, not just Canelo, who can break him.”

And he suggested current WBC middleweight champion, Jermall Charlo, as one of those fighters.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...-ryota-murata/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People are now gonna say GGG should go for the trilogy fight with Canelo because of what he showed against Murata.

WRONG!

The GGG that fought Canelo twice was younger and less shop-worn. He fought the wrong type of fights against Canelo, giving him too much respect and leaving it up to the judges... a stupid move. He should've learned from the first fight, when the decision was clearly biased in Canelo's direction. So his 2nd fight was one of the most frustrating ever, making the same mistake again! Now his time has passed. All he's going to accomplish this time is losing by KO, and giving Ginger yet another trophy on his carefully crafted mantle. How maddening that GGG fought like GGG in every fight leading up to Canelo... tried to finesse Canelo TWICE in VEGAS... and now has gone back to being GGG. Nice guy... but not the brightest bulb in the Christmas tree. Now a KO win for Canelo is going to add to that annoyingly constructed legacy, and people will choose to realize Canelo's just beaten a retread of an old man.

Thread Information