Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Euro 2020 Tournament happening 2021

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Well, not all Welsh people wish disaster on England at every turn A broad brush statement there Beanz, to be fair.

In terms of cheating, everyone does it now so it’s more a reflection of the game than anyones nationality. Kane falls over every time he possibly can, big brave Harry Maguire faked being kicked in the face when nothing at all actually happened, and Sterling dived for the penalty against Denmark. Every team does it as far as I can see?

Ha! of course it is a broad brush statement and yes I am sure that many don't wish England bad luck but sadly many other home nation sports fans if not MOST do. It is all a bit sad but has always made me laugh, not throw my toys out of the pram as people are suggesting. ( A bit like the most indignant 'Cornish' people demanding independence who have been down here about 5 mins after leaving London.)

Yes everyone adopts cheating gamesmanship nowadays, but England, because of naivety, whatever, have been one of the last national teams to do so.

The Italians have always been the worst culprits, followed by Portugal and Spain. It might not be politically correct to say so out loud, but it is the uncomfortable truth and the hilarious idea that it is racist is beyond a joke.

Even you could only gives us credit for 20 mins? Ha! The supposedly amazing Italians had 120 mins to break us down and could not play their game and i would argue that any neutral would have to at least give us the first half. For a team to get all the way to a penalty shoot out after extra time in the final and still not really be given any credit by fellas like Primo says it all.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, that’s probably true. England didn’t dive for years. In fact I remember Micheal Owen diving for a penalty against Argentina and there was stunned silence from the commentators as they couldn’t quite believe what they saw . That’s the first big one I remember and it wasn’t that long ago.

To be honest, I am not a proper football fan and probably only really follow Euros and World Cups, so I’m definitely not a lifelong fan or expert (in fact, it’s the diving, sly pulling, blatant cheating and general culture of dishonesty … while hypocritically wearing ‘respect’ armbands etc ….. that permeates football that puts me off)

In terms of the game, England were all over them for 20 minutes, but the Italians did grow into the game and dominate. I thought it was inevitable that they would score but England were very organised and resilient in defence. I did think England were the better side in injury time. Still, I say that as a punter who watched it on tv and not a genuine knowledgeable footy expert!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Italy dominated possession and we sat back stupidly so yes it looked like they were all over us. Even kane dropped back and when we got the ball there was nowhere to go.

But did Italy really create that many chances? Pickford made a good save to his left and we gave away a couple of dangerous free kicks but goal aside that was it.

Really don't know why we didn't go for it more in extra time.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow... this has devolved.

Me... I just saw two world class teams go at it for a couple of hours, and one just executed better than the other one in the penalty kicks decider.

Both teams had their share of dives, great plays, and swings of momentum.

What I DO find abhorrent though, is the racism issue which apparently got highlighted following the missed penalties by the three black English players.

Instead of the players taking a knee before matches... it should be all the fans instead.

Sad.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/QUOTE]

It seems you can dish it out but can't take it. I am not about to apologise for being born in England just like you were. That doesn't make me a little Englander anymore than it makes you a cheating Italian minus any of the passion.

Your post is all over the place, one minute you don't want to discuss racism because that is politics and then you pretend that pointing out Italian players long history of cheating is now supposed to be racist.

People have always hated England in other parts of the UK, to an absurd degree and it is beyond childish how much glee the Welsh and Scottish take in wishing us disaster at every turn and tbh that is exactly what you have always sounded like on here talking about Brits and the UK like we are all cartoon idiots and you are somehow better than us all because you have more Dolmio days in a month or something? [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I've cut out some of the old bullshit so it doesn't take up pages and pages.

It seems you can dish it out but can't take it.
    Yeah i can dish it out , and people on here know i can take it. But on this occasion, there's nothing to take kid!

I am not about to apologise for being born in England just like you were. That doesn't make me a little Englander anymore than it makes you a cheating Italian minus any of the passion.
    I couldn't give a flying fuck if you apologise or not.

Your post is all over the place, one minute you don't want to discuss racism because that is politics and then you pretend that pointing out Italian players long history of cheating is now supposed to be racist.
    Good old Beaner doing what he does best, deflecting one line of a long and concise post to change the context when he hasn't got an answer to the rest. Cringeworthy.

People have always hated England in other parts of the UK, to an absurd degree and it is beyond childish how much glee the Welsh and Scottish take in wishing us disaster at every turn and tbh that is exactly what you have always sounded like on here talking about Brits and the UK like we are all cartoon idiots and you are somehow better than us all because you have more Dolmio days in a month or something?
    Classic, you say I talk about you like you're a cartoon idiot , then you bring the stereotypical (in your thick head) Dolmio Character into it. What a clown you are. It seems like you crave for me to give England credit for getting to Penalties, why are you so needy? I don't need my ego massaged by you or anyone else. I am having so much fun!!!! [/QUOTE]
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MISSING PERSON ALERT
    We are very concerned for the well being of a Man Last seen Sunday night about 10.52pm crying profusely holding a kitchen knife to his wrists, looking for the Samaritans number in his contacts. If anybody knows his whereabouts , please call 999 immediately.
    @erics44 where are you ?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Me... I just saw two world class teams go at it for a couple of hours, and one just executed better than the other one in the penalty kicks decider.

What I DO find abhorrent though, is the racism issue which apparently got highlighted following the missed penalties by the three black English players.

Instead of the players taking a knee before matches... it should be all the fans instead.

Sad.
    It is sad but not surprising. We live here in the UK in a country that is led by racists. Our PM and Home secretary refused to condemn the booing of our own national team for making an anti-racist statement and then today pretended that they were disgusted by the racists that they emboldened. Look at the racists on here who share similar sentiments and have no shame about it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Sad.
    It is sad but not surprising. We live here in the UK in a country that is led by racists. Our PM and Home secretary refused to condemn the booing of our own national team for making an anti-racist statement and then today pretended that they were disgusted by the racists that they emboldened. Look at the racists on here who share similar sentiments and have no shame about it.

Sadly, it seems no country or region is totally devoid of the scourge of racism. I would be more shocked if I wasn't already used to (and disgusted about) the continued racism plague in the U.S., which goes up to and includes people in power and what is even worse... law enforcement.

Having said that, I was struck by a couple of things. One was the total and heartfelt comradery and consolations extended to the England players who missed penalties, by their own teammates. That was heartwarming to see. The other was the publicized abuse of the three players who missed their penalties... who unfortunately happened to be black. It's almost like a tinderbox for racism to break through the surface, given the enormity of the moment for England... and having the trophy slip through their fingers in the most heartbreaking way possible.

The one difference I see between the U.S. and Europe regarding racism in sports is that in the U.S. you rarely, if ever, see fans being racist toward black players... at least on the field/court/stadium. Away from the playing field it's another matter altogether... but at least on the field the fans don't let on. Also, Europe has so many countries one has to wonder how the racism aspect varies from country to country. That would make for an interesting discussion. As far as the kneeling, which I saw but didn't really focus on throughout the tournament.... which countries knelt, and which countries didn't? Does that in itself speak about the team only? Or about the country's culture in general?

I still go back in my mind to the movie "42", about the life and career of Jackie Robinson (the first black player to be allowed to play in Major League Baseball). It was a terrific movie... and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both teams took the knee which was good to see. Some England fans boo the opposition's national anthem which is really embarrassing. Along way to go before we see racism kicked out of football. Name and shame the individuals would work.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Both teams took the knee which was good to see. Some England fans boo the opposition's national anthem which is really embarrassing. Along way to go before we see racism kicked out of football. Name and shame the individuals would work.
    I actually think taking a knee is a meaningless gesture if I'm honest. And to be honest , some Sportsmen of Colour have also refused to take a knee because of that.
    If they want to highlight the war against Racism (because it is a war) , there are much better ways of doing it.
    for Example , Linking arms alternately Black Person, White Person , Black Person would be much more symbolic in my book.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I actually think taking a knee is a meaningless gesture if I'm honest. And to be honest , some Sportsmen of Colour have also refused to take a knee because of that.
    If they want to highlight the war against Racism (because it is a war) , there are much better ways of doing it.
    for Example , Linking arms alternately Black Person, White Person , Black Person would be much more symbolic in my book.

I have to respectfully disagree. The black players themselves have reiterated that for them it really does mean something and sends out the message they want to send out. It is not Marxist or even about BLM at this point, it is for them a way of not only showing solidarity with each other, but all the other BAME people that have simply had enough of having to justify themselves or put up with the racist bollocks that for years has plagued society. I am heartened that this group of players and their manager and coaching staff had the bottle to stand up to the boo boys and pricks who have ruined football and society here for years.

There are many here that mistake kindness for weakness. Fuck that bollocks. And then people wonder why kids brought up by people like that are just as messed up as them.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to respectfully disagree. The black players themselves have reiterated that for them it really does mean something and sends out the message they want to send out. It is not Marxist or even about BLM at this point, it is for them a way of not only showing solidarity with each other, but all the other BAME people that have simply had enough of having to justify themselves or put up with the racist bollocks that for years has plagued society. I am heartened that this group of players and their manager and coaching staff had the bottle to stand up to the boo boys and pricks who have ruined football and society here for years.

There are many here that mistake kindness for weakness. Fuck that bollocks. And then people wonder why kids brought up by people like that are just as messed up as them.
    It’s an entirely personal thing. I just feel that when Kaepernick originally took the knee, for him it expressed his feeling at the time. And that’s great.
    But others since have kind of done it, but not with much feeling or passion.
    I feel that kneeling is almost Sub serviant in a way. I felt the Black power movement at the 1968 Olympics had far more resonance.
    And standing upright with your fist in the air has a feeling of “fuck you, I am powerful and will not be silenced.”
    But kneeling down……….
    But if it has effect, I am happy to be wrong.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s an entirely personal thing. I just feel that when Kaepernick originally took the knee, for him it expressed his feeling at the time. And that’s great.
    But others since have kind of done it, but not with much feeling or passion.
    I feel that kneeling is almost Sub serviant in a way. I felt the Black power movement at the 1968 Olympics had far more resonance.
    And standing upright with your fist in the air has a feeling of “fuck you, I am powerful and will not be silenced.”
    But kneeling down……….
    But if it has effect, I am happy to be wrong.

I don't think there's a right or a wrong here, guys. A gesture, if made with meaning, is a gesture. The key is to make it a heartfelt gesture, and hopefully to have some solidarity with the people you're surrounded with. In this case, seeing two entire teams take a knee, is meaningful IMO. Linking arms... raising fists... they're all fine. The desired end result is the same. To send an anti-racism message and hope that in some way, shape or form... it raises even a little bit of awareness about a centuries-old problem which frankly... most of us are way too tired of.

Speaking of which, even so-called anti-racism crusaders sometimes manage to shoot themselves in the foot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...i-jeff-passan/ "After Stephen A. Smith’s rant about Shohei Ohtani, his ESPN co-workers led the pushback"

Stephen A Smith is a black sports commentator on ESPN who over the years has grown in popularity. He's got a brash style... and likes to call 'em like he sees 'em. Since George Floyd, he's become more outspoken about BLM as a worthy and necessary cause... and routinely rails against the professional league establishments about the lack of black team owners, coaches, etc. But as the years have gone by, Smith has become more of an obnoxious loudmouth, to the point he turns off a lot of people.

THEN... he goes off on Japanese sensation Shohei Ohtani, for the simple "sin" of not knowing how to speak English. Needless to say, this created quite the stir at ESPN, and drew a swift backlash from people in general. To Smith's credit, he quickly apologized. But that just goes to show you that racism isn't limited to white on black. It's not monopolized by any one race or country.

Most of you don't follow baseball... but what Ohtani is doing this year in the Major Leagues is nothing short of OTHERWORLDLY INCREDIBLE. To put if briefly, he is the first player since Babe Ruth, and a couple of players in the old Negro Leagues, to have the God-given ability to both pitch at a major league level... and bat right up there with the best of them. Traditionally, pitchers sit there with the bat on their shoulder, as the opposing pitcher blows three strikes right by him. That is with the exception of the American League (one of two leagues in MLB), who decided a long time ago to take the bat away from the pitcher and institute the position of designated hitter. The DH just takes the batting turn that used to belong to the pitcher, so the pitcher can concentrate on just pitching and not have to be embarrassed at the plate.

Then along comes Ohtani, and is threatening to lead the league in home runs, as well as in pitching stats. In fact, in tonight's All-Star Game, Ohtani will be both the starting pitcher AND the leadoff batter for the American League.

Think of a football player starring as a top striker, AND being a top goalkeeper as well.

Come to think of it, Smith should send a written apology letter to him.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 07-13-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely gutted for the boys. The better team won on the night so no complaints about that. Can we just have a moment of appreciation though for Harry McGuires penalty. That was how to get it done. Fuck me that ball would still be travelling now if there was no net. I don't follow domestic football at all to be honest so had no idea that Rashford wasn't in a particularly good place. But when he stepped up I'd already added one to our ledger. I was more concerned that Kane would have the yips following the pen against Denmark.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wish we had gone for it more. We seemed to be able to hurt them at will down the right wing in the first half but it dried up pretty quickly after the goal. Great start, but maybe a curse as much as a blessing. Italy are a top drawer unit and proved to be the best side throughout the tournament so I have no issue with them winning. I think we made it all too easy for them though. I think (and I generally think) that England are better when they play with tempo and go for the throat. We tried to out Italy Italy and it didn't work out.

As I said I don't follow domestic football but I hear a lot about how Pickford, Walker, Stones, McGuire are liabilities. I thought they were all magnificent. Pickford had literally a couple of iffy kicks all tournament but other than that didn't put a foot wrong. Walkers pace is just stupid. I think it was the Denmark game and Damgard (sp?) had ideas of a break away and Walker gave him a ten yard head start. The way he ate up the ground was like a prime Linford Christie in the final 30 meters. Defensively he was brilliant too. I lost count of the amount of times his positioning was excellent and able to chest/head a dangerous ball back to Pickford. McGuire and Stones were solid in defence and McGuire in particular progressive going forward. Rice and Phillips in the middle of the park were fantastic. They both tailed off a little towards the semi and final but given the shifts they put in it's no surprising. I had no idea who either were at the start of the tournament. Rice finished every game looking like a broken man. That's when you know you've given it your all.

As I said I would have liked us to go for it more especially after the brilliant start. I think there was an opportunity to really hurt them especially down the right and make those aging Italian legs feel like aging legs but we stepped of the gas. Overall though, those boys were fantastic and gave us more than we would have hoped for. Anyone not from England please don't buy into the 'footballs coming home' lark as an expression of intent. That's not what it means at all. I just wish other countries could come up with their own awesome football song so they could sing that rather than sing ours back to us

Roll on the World cup. Different kettle of fish I'd imagine over there even in the winter months. Not so much the heat but the humidity will be a big factor and the snap decision is that it'll probably favour the South American sides. We'll see. Plenty to be positive about though.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is Italy’s “Football’s coming home” Notti Magiche (un’estate Italiana) enjoy.

Thread Information