Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lewis Ritson v Jeremias Ponce

Lewis Ritson details terrible fan backlash from controversial Miguel Vazquez win

Ritson took a controversial decision win against Vazquez, and says family members as young as ten were sent abusive messages after the fight

Lewis Ritson has explained the depths that internet trolls were willing to go after his controversial split decision win over Miguel Vazquez last year.

The Newcastle fighter won the inter-continental super lightweight title against Vazquez in Peterborough last October, but fans felt that he had been the recipient of a very questionable decision after a poor showing.

And he says that some trolls took their abuse a step too far, sending rude messages about the fight to his ten-year-old niece on social media.

"Boxing fans are allowed their opinion, but there's a difference between opinion and calling us worse than s****," Ritson told Mirror Fighting.

"Look, 80% of the response was people calling me that, and I can take criticism; people saying 'Vazquez won, RIsty needs to improve,' but it's all the stuff that comes with it.

"But I had people messaging my niece who's only 10 saying 'your uncle's this, your uncle's that,' it gets a bit bang out of order at some points.

"I deactivated my Twitter for a little while to let things blow over, I don't usually do that but I had to because you'll find yourself writing back to everybody.

"You're a boxer at the end of the day, and when people are giving your niece stick you want to tell people to come and say it to your face, but they won't and that's what Twitter is there for.

"I just had to calm down a bit, deactivate Twitter, get back in the gym and remember that it was only last year after the Robbie Davis fight that everybody was talking very well about me."

Ritson is now set to face Jeremias Ponce on Saturday night in his hometown of Newcastle, with a mandatory challenger spot to face undisputed champion Josh Taylor on the line.

And he believes that his next fight should he beat Ponce could be ordered by the IBF to be against Taylor, who recently captured all the belts in an historic Las Vegas showdown with Jose Ramirez.

"There's getting a fight with Josh Taylor and there's getting a fight for the world title, those are two different things," he explained.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...e-fan-24283500
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lewis Ritson v Jeremias Ponce

Lewis Ritson promises 'explosive performance' against Jeremias Ponce who has a KO reputation

Lewis Ritson vs Jeremias Ponce, Alen Babic's heavyweight return, Ellie Scotney and April Hunter in action, Sol Dacres' rise continues, Thomas Patrick Ward and Joe Laws also feature - Saturday night, live on Sky Sports

Lewis Ritson has vowed a return to searching for the knockout against Jeremias Ponce, his opponent who possesses an intimidating KO record of his own.

Ritson headlines in Newcastle, his home city, against Ponce on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports, in a final eliminator for the IBF super-lightweight title.

Ponce arrives with an unbeaten 27-fight record and 17 stoppages but Ritson promised to meet fire with fire: "Yes definitely, the 1,000 fans are in for a treat.

"Me and Jeremias won't have go far looking for each other. The bombs will be chucked from round one.

"It will be an explosive performance from myself."

The winner will become the mandatory challenger to Josh Taylor, who became the division's undisputed champion by beating Jose Ramirez.

"Finally, I'm hoping to get there," said Ritson about a possible first world title shot.

"I'm hoping Josh moves up and vacates!

"I wouldn't knock a fight back against Josh. I'm not saying that. I'd definitely take it but he's a special fighter.

"I have to look good then hopefully the big fights will come."

Ritson is returning to the ring for the first time since he was fortunate to emerge with a points victory over Miguel Vazquez.

"I had time off the gym, time off social media, I deactivated my accounts, I went back to the drawing board," he said.

"We just want people to be back talking about after the Robbie Davies Jr fight, where I put such a great performance in.

"I feel like a veteran but I'm only 27, still young and fresh and I haven't taken much punishment.

"Now is the time. My apprenticeship is over. We are ready for the big fights."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...-ko-reputation

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ritson was hurt with a body shot in the 1st round. Both fighters started fast and attacked one another.

1 nil Ponce

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both fighters do not want to take a backward step and all out attack. Excellent fight.

2 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ponce looks too good and skilled for Ritson. He is a quality fighter.

3nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a war of attrition and both fighters throwing constantly. Close rounds but I am favouring Ponce work.

3 1 Ponce

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ponce taking over in the 5th. Ritson stopped firing back and looks out of ideas.

4-1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ponce taking over in the 5th. Ritson stopped firing back and looks out of ideas.

4-1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ponce pushing Ritson back onto the ropes and punishing him with uppercuts in the 6th.

5-1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ponce does not stop attacking and Ritson landed some hard punches but had no affect on Ponce.

6-1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ritson nearly stopped in the 8th round. He is lost and getting dominated. Ritson will get stopped soon.

7-1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ponce dominating round 9 and does not stop throwing punches.Ritson getting beaten up.

8-1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ritson stopped in the 10th with body shots but really he was dominated. Ritson down twice in the round. Referee did not accept the towel being thrown in the ring by Ritsons corner.

Ponce is a sold fighter.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jeremias v subriel could be a war if it happens
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information