Thread: New Documentary (48 hours old), Great Clips/Commentary: Rocky Marciano

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default New Documentary (48 hours old), Great Clips/Commentary: Rocky Marciano

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New Documentary (48 hours old), Great Clips/Commentary: Rocky Marciano

He is in my top 40 heavyweights of all time.

Probably between 30-40?

Anyone else?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New Documentary (48 hours old), Great Clips/Commentary: Rocky Marciano

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    When Ali gives a man his due!!!

All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Probably between 30-40?

Anyone else?
    A decade ago I may have had him top 20, today probably top 10...seems the more I watch of him the more impressed I become. His ability to get so small- it would have been just as hard for a 6'6 fighter to throw downward as it would have been for him to hit upward with one major factor- he was really great with those looping shots, knowing he had to punch up.

I can see him getting a lot of KDs due to equilibrium shots side of the head back of the ear...

Had Marciano landed the shots that Ruiz Jr did on Joshua I...I don't think he would have gotten up. Ruiz' power is based on his quickness- but Marciano's brute strength. Not a pretty fighter at ALL. But he could box...Like Ali said- he had his own style. Wasn't pretty, but damn sure effective. I got Marciano Top 10 HW.

Marciano makes it pass 4 round with Tyson...no way does Tyson win. He couldn't win long distance fights, so again I think Rock would do well.

As far as the Klitchkos...I think he stops Wlad but loses by a country mile to Vitali. Wrong style to add to the massive height, weight, power, knowledge & as Lennox stated--Vitali has a rythm...Not black folk rhythm , but that Ukranian style groove!? LOL!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Probably between 30-40?

Anyone else?
    A decade ago I may have had him top 20, today probably top 10...seems the more I watch of him the more impressed I become. His ability to get so small- it would have been just as hard for a 6'6 fighter to throw downward as it would have been for him to hit upward with one major factor- he was really great with those looping shots, knowing he had to punch up.

I can see him getting a lot of KDs due to equilibrium shots side of the head back of the ear...

Had Marciano landed the shots that Ruiz Jr did on Joshua I...I don't think he would have gotten up. Ruiz' power is based on his quickness- but Marciano's brute strength. Not a pretty fighter at ALL. But he could box...Like Ali said- he had his own style. Wasn't pretty, but damn sure effective. I got Marciano Top 10 HW.

Marciano makes it pass 4 round with Tyson...no way does Tyson win. He couldn't win long distance fights, so again I think Rock would do well.

As far as the Klitchkos...I think he stops Wlad but loses by a country mile to Vitali. Wrong style to add to the massive height, weight, power, knowledge & as Lennox stated--Vitali has a rythm...Not black folk rhythm , but that Ukranian style groove!? LOL!
    Tyson beats Rocky in every way.

This isn’t a Rocky movie.

This is real life.

Rocky Marciano would only fight a 54 years old Tyson anyway and still loose.

1986 Tyson vs the best of any Marciano would leave him sleeping.

Lennox and both Kiltchkos have an easy boring night.

Marciano would barely scrape past Povetkin.

Top 40 was harsh. Top 30 is sufficient.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Probably between 30-40?

Anyone else?

Tyson beats Rocky in every way.

This isn’t a Rocky movie.

This is real life.

Rocky Marciano would only fight a 54 years old Tyson anyway and still loose.

1986 Tyson vs the best of any Marciano would leave him sleeping.

Lennox and both Kiltchkos have an easy boring night.

Marciano would barely scrape past Povetkin.

Top 40 was harsh. Top 30 is sufficient.

You are correct this isn't a movie. it is however a mythical matchup between a living ear biter, elbow thrower vs a dude in the grave pushing daisies LOL!

Rocky & Iron are almost same height- I think!! So there is no disparity there.
    Rocky fought like a brute past round 5
    Tyson couldn't win pass round 5 against a single top tier fighter. Etienne & Seldon were quitters. Bruno proved mentally volatile. & they were his best wins in his last what? 15 or so years?

As far back as 1986 to pit him against the Brockton Blockbuster...well that is a tightrope walk there. That was his 2nd year as a pro.
    I agree that Tyson (under Rooney, D'amato & even Atlas) was a menace in the ring.
    Remember now-1988 he beat his last ATGs- same year aka a retired Holmes and a Mike Spinks who later admitted he had to be coaxed out of his dressing room.
    Meaning from 1988-2005 he beat zero ATGs.

But I can't limit Rock's best to 1-3 years. He beat everyone who was there.

I think Lennox is smart enough to tie his way to a boring UD as you state.
    Povetkin IMO goes to ICU.
    & if Peter drops Wlad? Again with a looping shot -not a str8 down the pipe shot...then so too does Rock. He was notortius for that- based on his height. And he fought hard for 15 rounds. Tyson can't do 10. WEhen he went the distance with Ruddock look at how many points he got deducted...that's a fragile mind right there!

If Corey Sanders stops Wlad, Rock could too. If he quits against Lamon Brewster - Rock threw nonstop incessant punches, how then does that version of Wlad that lost to Lamon, quit with Rock as well?
    If Purity beats Wlad -how then does Rock not have the tools & WILL power to do likewise?

Had Rock been in that time frame? He would've fought David Tua, unlike Tyson. Briggs & possibly Bowe.
    Again I concur; from 1986-1988 Tyson was an unstoppable force, but wow, that was all we ever got from him.

Remember now-Seldon had one title defense before taking a dive vs Tyson & just like Tyson got stopped 4 times afterwards.
    We'll never know, but its nice to think we do!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 09-12-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky is a cruiserweight by today's standards and you have to be realistic what he would achieve against top heavyweights that came after him. Rocky struggled with Ezzard Charles and LaStarza, was way behind against Jersey Joe Walcott, cut easily so was vulnerable.

His zero makes him a mythical God which really is not justified.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Rocky is a cruiserweight by today's standards and you have to be realistic what he would achieve against top heavyweights that came after him. Rocky struggled with Ezzard Charles and LaStarza, was way behind against Jersey Joe Walcott, cut easily so was vulnerable.

His zero makes him a mythical God which really is not justified.
    Rock struggled with Charles & Walcott the top ranked of that era. Lastarza had his number. But we can name a nohoper that took every great to the brink.
    His zero does that for some I agree, but for me it is in reverse. I used to question his era, now I accept his era and how he performed in his era, none else's.

Every athlete today are overall techncially better, stronger, bigger than their predecessors, but that doesn't negate how each athlete performs against their counterparts.

I (NOW) rate him top 20 easily because I don't lower the standard of who was/not available to compete against.

For the record-
    Tyson 5'11 1/2 to me- but per you and many others; 5'10 vs 5 '10 - both are eye to eye level.
    1986 Tyson is 218lbs. about a 20lb advantage has rarely been the case for HWs.
    4 lbs more than Wilder. So by that standard- Tyson as well as Rock shouldn't be able to beat the 6'6 & up of today.

Not fantasy to say Rocky couldn't compete with Mike- we keep overlooking how fragile his mind gets when he couldn't KO everyone. If Buster Mathis could get up off the canvas, Ruddock over n over so, too can Rocky.

I think the biggest difference for me with mythological fights is the tendancy to place yesteryear fighters in today's era. But never place today's fighter in the yesteryears'. Tyson in 1930s bites Dempsey- he gets bit back!
    Lennox , AJ or Fury gets dropped in the 1920s...aint no standing 8 count!!

Put them in the 1910s and previous...those dudes were basically bare knuckle fighters...these guys got cushion that Corbett, Johnson, Sullivan would've swooned over!

Not sayin' oldies guys are better, just that 1. Marciano handled his biz- and #2 like every great- it was the nobodies that dared to be great- be it Witherspoon on Holmes. Think Jones vs Clay LOL! Yet he prevailed 49 tried & 49 failed.
    Marciano is a TOP 20 HW great easily. Arguably Top 10.

Thread Information