Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Teofimo Lopez v George Kambosos Jr. 27/11/2021

LO BLOW Teofimo Lopez slams ‘fraud’ Devin Haney and vows to ‘take him out’ as he reveals heated sparring sessions with rival

TEOFIMO LOPEZ will make it his mission to get rid of 'fraud' Devin Haney from boxing and vowed to 'take him out'.

The lightweight pair have long rivalled each other, with their feud only escalating as they both claim to be the rightful WBC king.

Ukrainian Vasiliy Lomachenko did have the crown, until he was moved to 'Franchise' champion in October 2019, meaning he was free from mandatory defences.

American Haney was then elevated from 'interim' champion to the full belt without even fighting.

The waters were further muddied in 2020 when Lopez upset Lomachenko to win the WBA, WBO and WBC titles, adding to his IBF strap.

Having beaten the champ, many considered him the rightful WBC ruler, but the green and gold belt Haney proudly wears argues otherwise.

Lopez wants to settle the score once and for all, but reveals his desire to fight the fellow unbeaten star cuts far deeper than a title debate.

He told SunSport: "It's not really the WBC dispute, because I am undisputed, it's in the books.

"The thing is, it's more than that, I do not believe this guy belongs in the sport, he's a fraud, he's a fake. I can't respect someone like that.

"And the whole thing is just trying to take him out, he's done what he has done but this guy's been fed his whole life on a silver spoon.

"Only those that know him, know him and understand what I mean. I just want the guy out, I need him out.

"But, these guys are scared, they really are running away and I wish that people could really see that part, but they're not going to show that.

"There's so many fakes in this world too, so when they fake it, they make it, and they're all fake."

Lopez, 23, and Haney, 22, have twice shared the ring before in two separate sparring sessions in Las Vegas.

Both have argued they were the superior operator and each had the backing of their dads, who train their sons.

Lopez opened up on the heated spars, and hopes the next time they meet, the head guards and 16-ounce gloves will come off.

He said: "It was more talking from his side than any action.

"Him and his dad, they talk so much and the whole time he was just throwing jabs, talking and backing up when we had our interactions in sparring.

"But it's going to be different with eight-ounce gloves in there, and hopefully making that fight happen.

"That's the thing, it's so hard nowadays, I didn't expect it to be this hard to make fights happen.

"I thought these guys were as hungry as myself, but I guess I'm built and made from a different cloth."

Before Lopez can dream of a super-fight with Haney - who beat Jorge Linares in May - he first has to deal with mandatory challenger George Kambosos Jr.

Aussie Kambosos, 28, looks to upset the 135lb applecart on Saturday as they headline on Triller.

Lopez said: "I don't take any guy that's in front of me lightly. Why? Because you're not supposed to.

"The other reason is because I know this guy is here to take my bread and butter, that guy's there to take all the belts I worked so hard for.

"All the sacrifices and work ethic I put into this, that's all I've ever done in this sport and that's what it's all about, making sure that stays."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15284...rring-session/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Teofimo Lopez v George Kambosos Jr. 19/6/2021

Lopez v Kambosos: Fight postponed after American tests positive for Covid-19

World lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez has withdrawn from the first defence of his titles against George Kambosos after contracting Covid-19.

Lopez, 23, won three of the four lightweight titles from Vasyl Lomachenko in October.

The American was due to risk the IBF, WBA and WBO belts against Australia's Kambosos on Saturday but their bout has now been rescheduled for 14 August.

"Pure irresponsibility on your whole side," Kambosos said of his rival.

"Your actions and decisions have affected not only our fight but everyone involved in this fight," added the 27-year-old, who has 19 wins from 19 fights.

"I've been away from my kids for 13 weeks. I flew my pregnant wife over to be by my side. I put every bit of my life into this camp with my team.

"Our time will come and I promise you and the world that I'm going to take you out worse than ever for everything."

Lopez, who became the sport's breakout star by landing his eye-catching win over Lomachenko, posted on Twitter: "I am devastated to disappoint so many people.

"I know the sacrifices we have all made to get here. I believe I am doing the right thing. I don't want to infect anybody. Sport has power. I choose to use my power to be a good example."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57494356

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This has to kick Triller in the family jewels. Only thing worse than a perceived pointless mismatch is a postponed mismatch . They had Holyfield offer to "fight" Kevin McBride in an exhibition to fill the spot . Lopez was all over ringside at the Shakur Stevenson slumber party the week prior also. Well at lest now they don't have to compete with 3 more live fight cards on the same night...

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure what he meant by that. He thought he intentionally went out and caught it?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Not sure what he meant by that. He thought he intentionally went out and caught it?
    Probably wanted him to have been more careful.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez defends his WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight titles against George Kambosos Jr. on Saturday night.

After numerous bumps in the road, Teofimo Lopez is finally set to make the first defence of his WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight titles against mandatory challenger George Kambosos Jr.

Lopez propelled himself into the top 10 of the world's best pound for pound fighters following his win against Vasily Lomachenko in October 2020, and is now looking to make statement on Saturday night before attempting to unify all the titles at 135lbs.

Kambosos Jr. earned his shot at the unified champion a few weeks after Lopez's career defining victory by beating former world featherweight champion Lee Selby via a split decision.

The fight takes place at Madison Square Garden's Hulu Theatre in New York.

Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos Jr.; For Lopez's IBF, WBO and WBA lightweight titles
    Azinga Fuzile vs. Kenichi Ogawa; For the vacant IBF world super featherweight title
    Raymond Ford vs. Felix Caraballo; Featherweight
    Andreas Katzourakis vs. Wendy Toussaint; Middleweight
    Reshat Mati vs. Dimitri Trenel; Super lightweight
    Zhilei Zhang vs. Bernardo Marquez; Heavyweight
    Ramala Ali vs. Isela Vera; Super bantamweight
    Christina Cruz vs. Marygreen Vellinga Hinz; Flyweight

https://www.dazn.com/en-GLOBAL/news/...w10w705v0n1qzg

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez is aiming for big fights next year as he looks to put a frustrating year behind him against George Kambosos this weekend.

Teofimo Lopez admits he’s a fighter desperate to make up for lost time.

In October 2020, Lopez caused a seismic shock when he dethroned Vasiliy Lomachenko to become the world’s premier lightweight. 13 months on, the Brooklyn fighter is yet to fight.

This Saturday, live on DAZN, Lopez will take to the ring over a year’s frustration as he faces his IBF mandatory challenger, George Kambosos Jr. The oft postponed battle has been one of 2021’s most frustrating sagas due to background politics and Lopez suffering from COVID, but the charming 24-year-old can is finally ready to push on and capitalise on his Lomachenko success.

“I didn’t want to beat the best fighter in the world and just sit on that,” said Lopez when speaking to DAZN. “My belts are catching dust over here. I’m looking forward to fighting three times next year. Now, I just want to get this [Kambosos fight] over with and put on a show for DAZN and Matchroom.”

Demonstrating huge optimism ahead of his second world title defence, Lopez is already looking forward to securing dates with some of boxing’s biggest names in 2022. After already eliminating one of the sport’s grandest fighters in the masterful Ukranian, Lopez is ready to switch his sights to more threats if he gets past Kambosos.

Surrounded by elite names in the talent laden 135lbs division, Lopez doesn’t have to look far to find a suitable dance partner for a marquee fight. Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia, and Devin Haney are all within the lightweight vicinity but it’s the division ruler at super-lightweight that is tempting Lopez most.

“Definitely Josh Taylor,” replied Lopez when asked who his ideal opponent for next year would be. “I’ve been telling people that for some time. We can definitely make that fight happen in the U.K. There’s also Gervonta Davis, that could be a great fight at 140lbs. People are also talking about Devin Haney so we can what happens there.”

https://www.dazn.com/en-GLOBAL/news/...y1ahxffa2l6kei

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Teofimo Lopez v George Kambosos Jr. 27/11/2021

not betting the house on it but george could pull this off
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    not betting the house on it but george could pull this off
    He sounds very relaxed and humble but believes he can pull this off.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez to snub Devin Haney undisputed fight to target Josh Taylor

Teofimo Lopez will target a showdown with undisputed 140lbs champion Josh Taylor over a planned lightweight tilt with Devin Haney.

Lopez will defend his lightweight titles against George Kambosos Jr this weekend, returning to the ring for the first time since dethroning Vasyl Lomachenko last year.

He was then expected to target long-time rival Haney providing he comes through his title defence against JoJo Diaz next month.

But his father Teofimo Lopez Sr expects him to make a switch up to 140lbs and expects Bob Arum to promote a colossal showdown with Taylor instead.

"We want Josh Taylor next," Lopez Sr said at a press event. "You heard that Josh, we want you next buddy and we want you bad.

"[Josh should] stop it with the bulls*** that we still got on settle business at 135 [pounds with Kambosos]. 135 is done!

"We are moving up to 140. We don't need a tune-up fight, we're coming straight for you buddy, so take the freaking fight.

"It's going to be big and we could do it where ever you want. Bob Arum's gonna make it happen in spring, so you better be ready."

Lopez has been called out by multiple opponents at lightweight including Gervonta Davis and Haney who both hold untarnished records.

And the 24-year-old confronted Haney at the event headlined by Mikey Garcia's shock defeat by Sandor Martin with the pair feuding in front of the cameras.

The pair initially agreed to face each other after their upcoming challenges against Kambosos and Diaz.

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn also previously stated that he is planning to stage an undisputed clash after shaking hands to agree the fight with Lopez.

"I said to him tonight, ‘Teofimo Lopez will fight you.’ He said he won’t. I said, ‘I reckon he will.’ He said, ‘I’m telling you he won’t'," Hearn told DAZN News after the incident.

"And when he turned up tonight, someone shouted something and he went over and they got head-to-head. He said, ‘Look, I’m going to f*** you up.’ I said (to Haney and Lopez), ‘Guys, you are fighting on DAZN, which is great.

"Teo, you are fighting George Kambosos and Devin, you are hopefully fighting JoJo Diaz. It’s the week after each other. Let’s make the fight.' And then everybody started up and arguing for about 20 minutes.

"I said, ‘Guys, can we just get one thing clear to Teo’s dad: We want the fight.’ He (Lopez Sr.) said, ‘No, we want the fight.’ I said, ‘Well then, let’s stop arguing, get through our fights and get it made.’

"I know Devin will fight him and I do believe Teo will fight him. I think you will see that fight in spring of next year."

However Lopez Sr's latest comments will cast doubt on the undisputed tilt with Lopez preferring to pursue Scottish champion Taylor.

But Taylor will first need to complete his mandatory defence against domestic rival Jack Catterall on a rescheduled date in February next year.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

george has been winning the battle of the smack talk now he has to back it up in the ring
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez spent over $250,000 on camp for George Kambosos fight

Unified lightweight world champion Teofimo Lopez claims he spent more than a $250,000 to prepare for his bout with George Kambosos Jr.

The pair have been scheduled to fight since February when Kambosos was ordered as mandatory challenger for Lopez's first title defence since beating Vasily Lomachenko in October of last year.

But after a number of delays from their initial June date, including the bout moving from Triller to Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing, the fight has taken the majority of this year to come to fruition.

And Lopez says that he has spent a massive chunk of his more than $3million purse on his camp.

"I spent a couple of thousand to make sure I took a test every day after I got Covid," Lopez told Mirror Fighting . "It took a whole month to finally get a negative test back.

"This camp? It's cost me about a quarter of a million dollars.

"We spend a lot of money doing what we do but it's my body so for me that's an investment, even though a lot of people don't see that."

Lopez claims that the amount he invests into his camps is the reason he doesn't wear flashy clothes or accessories.

He will earn a career-high purse of over $2.1million for his bout with Kambosos, as well as taking home $950,000 from Triller's deposit that was made prior to them defaulting on staging the fight.

"That's why I don't wear the jewellery," he continued. "The jewellery is being done in my body, rather than wearing diamonds.

"I spend that jewellery on my body, not that you don't want to be flashy, but yeah, I spent a quarter of a million on this camp."

The bout will take place at the Hulu Theatre in New York's Madison Square Garden, and despite the fact that all four governing bodies have belts on the line, it's not for the undisputed lightweight title.

Lopez insists he will be undisputed in the weight class should he win, but officially his rival Devin Haney is the WBC champion, while the New Yorker fights for the less recognised "franchise" title.

When Lomachenko was still champion of the division, he was elevated to "franchise" champion, which allowed Haney to be elevated from interim holder without a definitive title bout against the prior holder.

"This fight is for undisputed," Lopez insisted. "Did Devin Haney fight for his belt? No, back in the days, in boxing to become world champion you had to beat the guy, that is is a world champion.

"Devin Haney is not a world champion, Devin Haney is someone that is just holding something materially that is not an actual, true world title.

"This fight is undisputed, despite what any of them say."

Promoter Hearn, who also oversees Haney's career, disagrees with Lopez on what constitutes undisputed, claiming that a fight between the pair is needed to unify the division.

Haney's win over Zaur Abdullaev, at the same venue as this weekend's fight, was initially supposed to be for the interim title, but when Lomachenko was elevated, Haney was made champion, causing many a dispute amongst the division's contenders.

"He should be the undisputed champion, but he's not." Hearn explained to Mirror Fighting of Lopez's situation.

"The other governing bodies do not recognise the WBC franchise as a belt that you can unify with.

"So, in essence, he should be undisputed because he beat Lomachenko, but factually he's not and Devin Haney has the actual WBC title.

"That's the belt that the other governing bodies will allow you to unify with.

"So if you ask [WBC President] Mauricio Sulaiman, he'd tell you Lopez is undisputed, but other governing bodies would say 'no he's not, we don't recognise him as the undisputed world champion because he's not the WBC world champion.

"I've got to back my man Devin Haney and if Teofimo was my fighter, I'd probably call him undisputed."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GEORGE KAMBOSOS JR is ready to steal a fight with Devin Haney from Teofimo Lopez - and wants to take it to a 90,000-seater stadium.

Australian Kambosos challenges for Lopez's unified WBA, IBF, WBO and WBC 'Franchise' lightweight titles over the weekend.

But the American champion has already verbally and publicly agreed to next year fight long-time rival Haney, who faces JoJo Diaz on December 5.

Kambosos, though, has other ideas, and vowed to dethrone Lopez and then unify the belts in an undisputed clash with Haney.

And he reckons Eddie Hearn, who has promoted five Anthony Joshua, 32, sell out stadium fights in the UK, is just the man put it together.

Kambosos, 28, told SunSport: "Me and Haney have been talking as well.

“We’ve been chatting, we have that mutual respect for each other and I’m in his corner to win his fight, I’m hoping he wins his fight.

“And he’s in my corner to win my fight, and you know what? We’re going to handle business and get it on.

“Whatever agreement the world thinks him and Lopez has, it’s not true. What makes more sense?

"And I know Eddie loves them big stadium fights, so it makes perfect sense."

Aussie Jeff Horn, 33, scored a shock upset against Manny Pacquiao, now 42, in 2017 in front of 50,000 at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

But Kambosos, who beat Welshman Lee Selby, 34, to become Lopez's IBF mandatory, wants to almost double Horn's attendance with Haney.

He said: “There’s a better fight and a bigger fight in a stadium in Australia with 80,000 or 90,000 people.

“We all know Lopez isn’t a big seller, whatever he thinks he is, he isn’t. Instead of doing 20,000 people in the US, we can do 80,000-90,000 in Australia."

Lopez, 24, shot to stardom after shocking Vasiliy Lomachenko, 33, in October 2020 but was then ordered to defend his title against Kambosos.

They were initially set to meet on June 16, but Lopez withdrew after testing positive for coronavirus.

After several delays, social media platform Triller, who paid £4.5million to stage the fight, eventually pulled out of hosting it.

Hearn's Matchroom Boxing were the second highest bidders and took on the rights, but the drawn out delays have caused huge friction between the boxers.

So much so that Kambosos and Lopez's dad clashed at a media workout just days before the first bell sounds to finally settle the score.

But the travelling challenger has shown no sign of frustration, and claimed he will rule over Lopez and fellow stars Haney, 23, Gervonta Davis, 27 and Ryan Garcia,23.

Kambosos said: “I’m just focussed, I’m not worried about any of that. I know that when I win all the belts, I’ll stand on top.

“I’ll be the emperor, they say the ‘four kings’ - the emperor outweighs everything, he’s the guy that’s gone to different nations and that’s what I’ve been doing.

“I’ve been in the US, I beat their guys, I went to the UK and beat their top guy, I’ve gone all overseas and now I’m here to beat the top guy in the US.”

“For me, this is just business. I know there’s obviously been a lot of bad blood, he’s angry, which is great.

“I’m just super focussed, cool, calm and collected. Whatever anger he wants to bring to the fight, beautiful, bring it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16837...teofimo-lopez/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If there's a current poster boy for looking beyond an opponent Teo may be it. In the end I lean to him doing a number on Kambosos late on. But Kambosos is live.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez promises to 'punch right through' George Kambosos in long-delayed first defence

On the night he became the unified lightweight champion of the world, Teofimo Lopez would never have imagined he would spend over a year on the sidelines.

The American scaled the mountain to dethrone pound-for-pound great Vasiliy Lomachenko and add the WBA (Super) and WBO titles to his IBF belt 13 months ago in Las Vegas.

It was a punch-perfect performance from the then 23-year-old and made him the man to beat in the division. When talk of an immediate rematch with Lomachenko cooled, the IBF ordered Lopez to defend his titles against mandatory challenger George Kambosos.

But then the problems began.

As unified champion, Lopez was unhappy with his promoter's offer to stage the fight. Lopez wanted a bigger pay cheque from Top Rank, but the American promoters refused to budge and Lopez's first title defence went to a purse bid and in a bizarre turn of events Triller, a social media and music streaming service, won the broadcast rights with a huge $6m bid.

Then, after multiple delays that included Lopez having to pull out of a June fight date after contracting Covid-19, the IBF stripped Triller of the rights and awarded them to the second highest bidder, Eddie Hearn's Matchroom. And so it is under the Matchroom banner that Lopez will finally - nine months after the rights were originally awarded - fight this weekend in New York.

"You're only as good as your last performance, but I feel this has been too long of a last performance," Lopez said on BBC Radio 5 Live's Boxing podcast.

"It's been something. During that time I just took the time to really focus on me. I can't believe it though. Nine months? Time flies.

"I'm a little disappointed. I didn't get to fight as many times I had hoped to fight this year."

Now Lopez wants to get back to work and aims to follow the example of Floyd Mayweather, who ended his career a multi-weight world champion and undefeated in 50 fights.

"You've got to have that vision and mindset. A perfect example is Floyd Mayweather," Lopez said.

"The blueprint there is stay focused and dedicated and train like you're broke and you've never had anything. If you can't quite get that, you're losing quick."

On top of the repeated postponements, Lopez became a father just over a week before the fight. "Every time I hold him I'm mesmerised. I'm going to make it quick so I can come back to my son," the New Yorker said.

Kambosos will have other ideas. The Australian is unbeaten in 19 pro fights and is four years Lopez's senior at 28.

He is a big underdog against Lopez, especially with the prospect of massive unification fights against the likes of WBC champion Devin Haney and WBA (Regular) champion Gervonta Davis looming for the American in 2022.

"From him, you don't know what you're going to get," Kambosos said. "You get a lot of lies, that's for a fact. It doesn't bother me. He's got all the belts.

"He's the big star at the moment. He's the big celebrity. He's caught up in the big lights. That's fine."

There has been no love lost between the two camps either.

Both fighters share their father's name. Lopez is trained by his dad and Lopez Sr caused a real stir at the workouts on Tuesday when he was involved in a minor melee with Kambosos Sr.

After a lot of pushing and shoving and some colourful language, Lopez Sr was escorted out of the Church St Boxing Gym in Manhattan. But there was then an equally heated press conference on Wednesday which turned into a screaming match at times between the two sides. The Kambosos will be hopeful the fiery build-up is a sign of nerves from the Lopez camp.

Lopez says he is expecting an "all-action packed fight" and has dismissed talk he is thinking of future fights and taking victory over Kambosos for granted.

"It's about the legacy, the glory," he said. "At the end of the day you can't have those big fights without beating the guy that's in front of you first.

"I don't overlook these fighters I face, I look through them. I don't look around them, I look through them. And I punch right through them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59395576

Thread Information