Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Cleveland Indians are no more

Nope. Starting next year they will be known as the Cleveland Guardians.

Strike another blow for the PC brigade and their quest to rename sports teams, pancake syrups, etc., as they seek to eradicate any and all names they consider offensive.

The Indians (Major League Baseball), who have had that name since 1915, are a revered and historical professional sports franchise in the U.S., much like the Washington Redskins were in the National Football League.

Oh well. In the Indians case, I always thought the team mascot (Chief Yahoo) was a bit demeaning.

Gotta wonder what will happen to that favorite movie of mine, Major League (1989).

I still think people would be a lot better off focusing on more important things, like systemic and institutional racism, instead of changing things that in the end will never make any difference.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Cleveland Indians are no more

Yeh in the case of Cleveland it's been a very long time coming compared to some other teams and organizations. I'll say this if anyone has received a consistent and all around shaft and boot on the neck from our wonderful society it's the Native man and woman and I can't lump it entirely in with the last couple of decades of PC brigade pushes and some of the more trifling stuff like syrup and rice brands. Hollywood spent a literal Century whitewashing screen bios, movies and roles non stop until what..Tonto? This seemed to really re fire during the 70's as far as name change meeting head on with the American Indian protest movement. They changed their name a half dozen times prior and it's weird how some in high political Ivory towers have run to this name change in their long line of culture war chum. The default is to run with 'the team was founded and named in honor of a former Indian player' but that digging deeper it reads like Louis Sockalexis was treated largely like a living caricature and early mascot himself by media and fans of the day. By all accounts a batting and fielding phenom yet across the Nation press couldn't even see fit to mention his name in the naming of the team that he was (now) sighted for. I dunno I don't see a problem with it, keep it the same or change it fine. Willing to bet once the season opens majority of fans will only really clamor for a winning season and pennant. The mascots themselves have always been in bad taste more so than a title to me. A literal cartoon character emphasizing the racial stereotypes. College mascots in full headdress and running around with spears ffs. Atlanta Braves stadium filled with thousands doing a Tomahawk chop war-chant . It's just..dude. Dunno. Nixing the Chief Wahoo mascot was a no brainer if anything and possibly that was a good time to agree the necessary changes were complete but hey I'm just some white dude 'living the dream .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know there's a long list of teams that will have to follow suit, right?

Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blackhawks, Florida State Seminoles, Golden State Warriors...

Where's that fine line that separates the genuine from the absurd?

How long before someone objects to Yankees? Celtics? Vikings?

Nah... sign me up to that group of people who'd rather direct anti-racism efforts to more meaningful endeavors.

No one argues against the racist stereotypes of the past.

But changing "Aunt Jemima" pancake syrup to "Pearl Milling Company" isn't going to further the cause of black people in this country, anymore than slapping a racing car decal on an old jalopy makes it go any faster.

Never been one to embrace superficial changes and then claim complex, deep-rooted problems have been solved.

In fact... it's kind of dangerous, if you ask me.... as it brings on a false sense of complacency like the job has already been done.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This seems reasonable.

Racist name of New South Wales island to be changed after vote

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@TitoFan
    Strike another blow for the PC brigade

What's the PC Brigade ? Who are they ? Where are they ?
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 08-02-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    @TitoFan
    Strike another blow for the PC brigade

What's the PC Brigade ? Who are they ? Where are they ?

Good question. I'll answer it as best as I can, in full knowledge you live under the fantasy world where all whites in the world are racist.

TO ME... the PC brigade is mostly made up of white people, who latch on to something as superficial and meaningless (in the big picture of things) as changing the Washington Redskins name... or changing the Aunt Jemima name... because in the end it makes them feel GOOD. It makes them feel like they've done their part to erase racism, and now we can go on with life as we know it. By concentrating on this superficial, low-hanging fruit, one can avoid tackling the real, underlying causes to this old and complex problem.

If you were to conduct a survey of black people (at least the ones that I've known and associated with over the years), they would tell you that they would MUCH rather have people concentrate on the root causes, rather than the window dressing which in the end detracts from the real issues.

So IMO, all this rah-rah stuff rallying around causes like all of sudden changing traditional names of teams and pancake syrups... and then patting ourselves on the back... is meaningless.

Thread Information