Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Terence Crawford finally gets big fight against world class opponent as deal is struck for Shawn Porter title clash on November 20 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Terence Crawford will face Shawn Porter in a highly anticipated defence of his WBO welterweight world title on November 20 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

The three-weight champion is widely regarded as one of the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the entire sport today, however he is yet to face a fellow world class fighter in their prime who comes close to his level.

Crawford is the WBO welterweight champion and has been waiting a long time to face another top fighter

Following his knockout of Kell Brook last year, it’s been unclear what fight would come next for WBO champion Crawford.

The American became embroiled in spat with his promoter Bob Arum as both were frustrated over his current situation.

The vast majority of the big-name fighters at welterweight today are signed with Al Haymon’s PBC, who rarely do business with Arum’s Top Rank.

The super-fight all boxing fans want to see between Crawford and Errol Spence looks further away than ever for this reason.

With fighters such as Spence and Porter out of his reach, Crawford has had to settle for facing lesser-known opposition and so been unable to generate big PPV numbers – part of the reason for the spat with his own promoter.

Last month though, the WBO threw him a lifeline by ordering the bout with Porter.

It initially looked like no deal would be agreed and the fight would go to purse bids, but now Top Rank’s Carl Moretti has confirmed to Kevin Iole that the sides have struck a deal.

The bout will take place on November 20 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...-shawn-porter/

And THIS, my fellow boxing fans... is why the big fights don't always happen, regardless of what the public may or may not want.

I couldn't care less about the intricate business side of boxing. None of us in the real world will ever come close to making the kind of money these elite fighters make. And there's enough to go around to all involved.

But it's the fans who ultimately pay the bills. So if our opinion doesn't mean diddly squat... there's something ultimately wrong with that.

So Haymon rarely does business with Arum.

Do we just leave it at that?? Isn't there some kind of mechanism whereby reasonable arrangements are "encouraged" (I really mean "forced") to make these fights happen??

In the end, we're always left with the "what ifs." I mean... it's ok to throw around barroom conversations about mythical matchups between fighters of different eras. It's not like we have a time machine or something to make them happen.

But when elite fighters exist in the same era... it's inexcusable for some big fights not to happen because... (cough)... Haymon won't deal with Arum (or viceversa).

Yet the patience/tolerance of boxing fans is legendary. Heaven knows we've put up with more than our share of shady decisions, bullshit belts, diva champions, catchweights, cherry-picking, winking at PED violations, yadda yadda yadda.

What's one more CRAP to put on top of the pile of crap?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

shawn gets iced
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Crawford is now fighting a past it Porter who spends more time podcasting than training?!

Crawford has ruined the prime years of his career where he should be making massive paydays and cementing his history.

Like Fury, scared to loose and wasting his talent.

Hope Josh Taylor can make it happen at 147 and expose some of these clowns!
    Porter past it or not, the dude has never been caught haggling or cherry picking. Just like Crawford, Spence- all 3 only fought once in 2020. Not sure who Sebastian Formella is, but Porter getting credited for landing 300+ seems like he is still in shape.
    I agree. I think Porter could have mellowed a but i've never seen him sandbag. Its unfortunate for all of the training methods I've seen him experiment with, a lot of it doesn't translate to the ring and it becomes the same Bulldozer approach. A shame he doesn't use more head movement or have more pop to his punches. He's got the bulk and the work ethic and good stamina to fight the way he does and make it to the end of a fight. He's also a fight not many want because hes too much work for not enough reward unless he's holding a strap.
    I can't fault Crawford. I mean his own promoter said he can't sell fights, I was like wow, isnt that the promoter's job? And just as with Floyd, Manny given the chance.... walked away from Arum!!! Yippy!!

But in the process he ended up taking Crawford's fight away -so Bud got sidelined to see Arum's Pac choose Spence...only for Spence to pull out and we got Ugas! LOL!

I see Arum as more at fault for Crawford not fighting often -then add on the pandemic. Last year was a wash for almost all boxers. And I dont think Bud would have ever caught on fire in USA. Omaha yeah!

Yeah, most promotions lost money last year. I don't think Arum expected Manny to beat Thurman the way he did. Bud was going to be his next golden goose and then it looked like Manny got a second/ third wind and Arum put all his eggs in the Manny basket and cash out with Manny vs. spence and then it all disintegrated before his very eyes. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see him start showcasing the other fighters, but i think he's rationing all his fighters now and probably gets up every morning checks his bankbook, grumbles "covid bast@rds..." kicks his wife's dog before going to his desk and inches things along in his master plan where Teo, Bud, Valdez, Loma etc meet in his catch weight heaven and he can run the table..
    I too hope Josh Taylor will get his day. But it wont be the fault of Bud, SPence or Porter if he doesn't. They are all live dogs.

I think Porter will do his usual and try to grind down Bud and I know sometimes too much is made of Bud's ability to switch up his stance, But I think there's opportunity there to send Porter to the third level of check hook hell.. Due to the size disparity I do worry about Bud getting an hand/wrist injury or cut stopping it but I really think Porter isn't going to prepare for this fight the way he should. "ortho, southpaw.. wont make a difference as long as he's going backward... and i'm going forward" It's always the bull that thinks the Matador is the one that's so close to dying on every pass.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Crawford is now fighting a past it Porter who spends more time podcasting than training?!

Crawford has ruined the prime years of his career where he should be making massive paydays and cementing his history.

Like Fury, scared to loose and wasting his talent.

Hope Josh Taylor can make it happen at 147 and expose some of these clowns!
    Porter past it or not, the dude has never been caught haggling or cherry picking. Just like Crawford, Spence- all 3 only fought once in 2020. Not sure who Sebastian Formella is, but Porter getting credited for landing 300+ seems like he is still in shape.
    I agree. I think Porter could have mellowed a but i've never seen him sandbag. Its unfortunate for all of the training methods I've seen him experiment with, a lot of it doesn't translate to the ring and it becomes the same Bulldozer approach. A shame he doesn't use more head movement or have more pop to his punches. He's got the bulk and the work ethic and good stamina to fight the way he does and make it to the end of a fight. He's also a fight not many want because hes too much work for not enough reward unless he's holding a strap.
    I can't fault Crawford. I mean his own promoter said he can't sell fights, I was like wow, isnt that the promoter's job? And just as with Floyd, Manny given the chance.... walked away from Arum!!! Yippy!!

But in the process he ended up taking Crawford's fight away -so Bud got sidelined to see Arum's Pac choose Spence...only for Spence to pull out and we got Ugas! LOL!

I see Arum as more at fault for Crawford not fighting often -then add on the pandemic. Last year was a wash for almost all boxers. And I dont think Bud would have ever caught on fire in USA. Omaha yeah!

Yeah, most promotions lost money last year. I don't think Arum expected Manny to beat Thurman the way he did. Bud was going to be his next golden goose and then it looked like Manny got a second/ third wind and Arum put all his eggs in the Manny basket and cash out with Manny vs. spence and then it all disintegrated before his very eyes. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see him start showcasing the other fighters, but i think he's rationing all his fighters now and probably gets up every morning checks his bankbook, grumbles "covid bast@rds..." kicks his wife's dog before going to his desk and inches things along in his master plan where Teo, Bud, Valdez, Loma etc meet in his catch weight heaven and he can run the table..
    I too hope Josh Taylor will get his day. But it wont be the fault of Bud, SPence or Porter if he doesn't. They are all live dogs.

I think Porter will do his usual and try to grind down Bud and I know sometimes too much is made of Bud's ability to switch up his stance, But I think there's opportunity there to send Porter to the third level of check hook hell.. Due to the size disparity I do worry about Bud getting an hand/wrist injury or cut stopping it but I really think Porter isn't going to prepare for this fight the way he should. "ortho, southpaw.. wont make a difference as long as he's going backward... and i'm going forward" It's always the bull that thinks the Matador is the one that's so close to dying on every pass.

Perfect analogy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it’s Danny Garcia after this one is it Crawford?

Wasted Talent.

Hope this post car accident, damaged retina Spence smokes everyone in this weight class.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terence Crawford has the 'craziest reaction time'

Terence Crawford's all-American clash with Shawn Porter is a '50-50 fight', according to Timothy Bradley Jr.

'Bud', 34, will defend his WBO welterweight title against the Ohio native in Las Vegas next month on November 20.

The former two-time champ's chances of upsetting the pound-for-pound king have been written off by many, but Bradley insists it won't be a one-sided affair.

The former 147lbs king told FightHype.com: “When you’re fighting a guy like Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford, there’s not one thing that you can say that’s how you get over the hump.

"I think Shawn Porter, mentally, is one of the toughest guys.

"His mentality, I love it, he reminds me of mine — he just wants to fight the best in the world — so I respect that and I respect him.

“Crawford, he gets a chance to show if he’s special, like truly, truly special.

"Shawn Porter’s given everybody in the division hell — everybody. He either lose by split decision, close when he fought against Errol Spence.

"So this is a measuring stick, I think, that Crawford needs. We need to see what he can do against a guy like Shawn Porter. But I like the fight a lot. I think it’s a 50/50 fight."

Fan favourite Porter hasn't fought since his solid performance against former IBO welterweight champ Sebastian Formella in August of last year.

And Bradley reckons the ex-two-time-champ will give his former sparring partner a good run for his money if he fights the way he did against the German.

He added: “Damn right it’s a 50/50 fight.

"This is Shawn Porter we’re talking about, with a granite chin, a guy that’s cerebral, a guy that’s knows how to think inside the ring.

"He can change rhythms off and on. Terence Crawford is a rhythm type of fighter. Once he gets going he starts tapping on you, tapping you, tapping you — it’s almost similar to [Emanuel] Navarrette — once he starts tapping you, getting his jab going, then the combinations are flying.

"And I understand that so the fact that Shawn Porter, I know he knows how to change rhythms, he knows how to make adjustments inside the ring, he can box you at times, he can swarm you at times.

“One of the areas maybe he needs to be careful with is his lunging, because Terence Crawford has the craziest reaction time when it comes to intercepting offense coming his way.

“Many people think he stops Shawn Porter, I want to see that. I don’t know, Shawn Porter’s a different beast.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Crawford KTFO's Porter... I might even forgive the fact he's been holding up the works in welterweight for some time now.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We’re here now’ – Terence Crawford relishing challenge of Shawn Porter as he finally gets opportunity to prove himself against fellow world class welterweight

Terence Crawford has told talkSPORT.com that he expects himself and Shawn Porter to bring the best out of one another when they meet this weekend.

The WBO welterweight champion has endured a long wait for a world class challenge, but will finally get his wish on Saturday night against the former WBC and IBF champion.

Crawford and Porter are set to fight in Las Vegas on Saturday night

Crawford is widely regarded as one of the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the entire sport today, however he is yet to face a fellow top fighter in their prime who comes close to his level.

Following his knockout of Kell Brook last year, it’s been unclear what fight would come next for WBO champion Crawford.

The American became embroiled in a spat with his promoter Bob Arum as both were frustrated over his current situation.

The vast majority of the big-name fighters at welterweight today are signed with Al Haymon’s PBC, who rarely do business with Arum’s Top Rank.

The super fight all boxing fans want to see between Crawford and Errol Spence looks further away than ever for this reason.

However, the WBO ordered Porter as Crawford’s mandatory and, despite their friendship outside of the ring, a deal was reached for the pair to meet on Saturday night.

Crawford told talkSPORT Fight Night: “I wasn’t looking to fight Shawn Porter when I stepped up into the welterweight division.

“But being that he’s one of the top welterweights in the world, here we are and I’m looking forward to it…

“This is just one of the big challenges that I’ve been yet to face – that this is a top PBC fighter.

“Everybody has always wanted to see how I fared against PBC’s top fighters.

“This is one of them, we’re here now.”

Regarding how he expects the fight to play out, Crawford said: “I think Shawn Porter really [will] bring the best out of Terence Crawford.

“And I believe Terence Crawford is gonna bring the best out of Shawn Porter.

“That’s why November 20 is gonna be a great night of boxing.”

When asked if it will be difficult to put their friendship aside on Saturday night, Crawford concluded: “Oh real easy.

“Once we’re in the ring, we ain’t no friends.

“So there you have it.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...-shawn-porter/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shawn Porter compares Terence Crawford to Hagler but is confident he can cause an upset

Shawn Porter is fully aware of what to expect from Terence Crawford as he compared his fellow American to the great Marvin Hagler.

Porter, 34, is set to take on Crawford in Las Vegas, Nevada on November 20.

The Cleveland native heads into his second world title fight in as many fights as a huge underdog, but firmly believes he can spring a huge shock and beat the undefeated 'Bud' on Saturday.

Fresh off his victory over Sebastian Formella, Porter has been busy sparring with Gervonta Davis this month for their fights with Crawford and Isaac Cruz respectively, which he feels will serve him well this weekend.

Porter, 34, told Press Box PR: “Terence Crawford is actually like Marvin Hagler. He's got to dislike me. He's got to be mad at me.

"For me, it really is an on and off switch. I understand that I have a job to do. I understand that I don't take that job lightly. I understand that I want to win and I understand what winning takes.

"It would be different if I didn't understand this sport, but this is the hurting business. No matter who it is across from you gotta hurt them in order to win and that's what I'm going to do.

“I've noticed a change in Terence. I know him and know that’s what he’s got to do, so I respect it. To each his own. For me, like I said, I can be very cordial and get in the ring and do my job, no problem.”

Porter brings with him to the ring an impressive fight record of 31 wins with 17 knockouts, three defeats and one draw.

And while he has been written off by all but a few, the 34-year-old is 'confident' he can upset the odds and shock the world of boxing.

He added: “I'm a very confident person. I believe wholeheartedly in myself.

"It's hard for me to answer what the difference will be on the night, because I see myself dominating him and taking control of him the way that he has so many times in the past. I think that it may be hard for other people to believe that or see that. So I’d rather let it play itself out.

“In the ring, ‘domination’ and ‘dominance’ is what comes to mind when I think of Crawford. Outside of the ring, believe it or not, ‘fun’ is what comes to mind.

"I think that Terence is really coming into his own. I think he's figured out who he wants the world to know him as.

"And in the ring, he wants the world to know him as a monster, a beast. And outside of the ring, he wants everyone to know that he's more fun and approachable than most people expect him to be.

"I look at him like he's the best in the world in the ring and even outside of the ring, I look at him like he's one of the best people in boxing that I know. So there's a lot of respect there.

"I think that that may be another word that jumps out is respect. But I know how to give that respect and I know how to punch somebody in the face at the same time.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/wnba...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor thinks potential Terence Crawford fight is "one of the biggest in boxing"

Taylor and Crawford have both unified titles at junior welterweight but Crawford has since moved up to 147lbs to become a three-weight world champion

Josh Taylor thinks a future clash with welterweight champion Terence Crawford is one of the biggest fights to make in boxing.

Taylor is currently the unified 140lb champion and is undefeated in 18 professional fights.

The Scotsman was scheduled to make the first defense of his unified belts against Jack Catterall next month, but a knee injury forced him out of the fight.

Their fight has been rescheduled for next February as Taylor will fight in his home country for the first time since 2019.

And with little left to prove at light welterweight, Taylor is hoping to move up to 147lbs in the near future.

He is targeting an eventual fight with Crawford, who unified all the light welterweight titles four years ago.

"It's a big fight, it's one of the biggest fights in boxing," Taylor told Behind the Gloves.

"He was the last person to become undisputed champion at my weight class. We fought the same opponent in Viktor Postel, so we've kind of achieved the same things.

"He's moved up and got another world title at welterweight, so I just think that's a massive fight."

Crawford defends his WBO title this weekend against perennial contender Shawn Porter in Las Vegas.

And Taylor happened to bump into 'Bud' as he prepares for his upcoming fight.

"It was pretty cool to bump into him. We just sort of said hello to each other, I wished him all the best for this weekend. He said 'well done against Ramirez' and things like that," he said.

"It's an exciting prospect, that could be a fight not too far in the distant future."

Taylor has admitted that whilst he could still make the 140lb weight limit comfortably, he has nothing left to prove at the weight class.

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman revealed Jose Zepeda would be Taylor's WBC mandatory if the Scot gets past Catterall.

But Taylor is unsure if he will stick around at 140lb as he hopes to move and chase titles at welterweight.

"We'll see how it goes, I believe I beat every single one of them. I think when I move up to welterweight I'll soon be even better," he continued.

"I'll be coming up and chasing titles. I'll be chasing the likes of your Terence Crawford's, your (Shawn) Porter's and your (Errol) Spence's.

"I'm an upcoming threat towards all these guys if I move up to welterweight after this next fight, given everything goes well against Jack Catterall.

"It's a massive possibility that it could be in the next couple of fights, so it's exciting times.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...eight-25475329

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gonna miss this huge fight (sigh), as I'll be traveling. Hopefully I'll tune back in to find that Crawford has laid Porter out flat on one of those bull rushes, and has won by highlight reel KTFO.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

‘I’m trying to knock his head off’ – Terence Crawford admits Shawn Porter friendship went ‘when we signed the contract’

TERENCE CRAWFORD said his friendship with Shawn Porter went on hold the moment they signed to fight - and he's now 'trying to knock his head off’.

The 34-year-old welterweight pair meet in Las Vegas over the weekend, with Crawford defending his WBO title and unbeaten record.

It is no secret the pair enjoyed mutual respect for each other and are even friends, who go back a long way.

But that has all been put to one side, as Crawford told Sky Sports: "It was gone when we signed the contract.

"I don't have to disrespect him or talk bad about him. But we both know.

"There are no friends in the ring. The guy across from you is trying to knock your head off. I'm trying to knock his head off."

In the build-up, former two-time champion Porter claimed previous chances to make the fight had been rebuffed.

But Crawford responded: "No, that's not true. The truth of the matter is that when they asked me for the fight it was just talk, there was no offer.

"Then when Top Rank offered them the fight, they turned it down because they wanted more money.

"Then me and Shawn talked on the phone and he asked me what I thought about a potential fight with him.

"I told him that if I couldn't get the Manny Pacquiao fight then we would revisit it. I didn't get the Pacquiao fight - we're here."

Crawford, who has won titles in three divisions, has beaten the likes of Amir Khan, 34, and Kell Brook, 35, in recent years.

But he admitted only time will tell if Porter, who has never been stopped with only three career defeats, will be his fiercest rival.

Crawford said: "We'll have to see if this is the toughest fight of my career.

There are no friends in the ring. The guy across from you is trying to knock your head off. I'm trying to knock his head off.

Terence Crawford On Shawn Porter

"I've been faced with a lot of people who thought the past couple of fights would be the toughest. But we don't know until we step in the ring.

"I don't tend to listen but I do take heed because it means I won't overlook anything.

"I believe, deep down in my heart, that there are a lot of things I haven't shown yet because I didn't have to show it at that point.

"There are skills I haven't had to display. Maybe Porter can bring those out. There is more to come. I am getting better.

"I expect Shawn to be Shawn - I can't stress enough how talented he is. He likes to box, he likes to bang, he likes to brawl.

"We will be ready for everything."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16785...r-title-fight/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aren’t they both 34 years old?

This fight is waaaaasy overdue.

Crawford must beat Porter, then Spence, Ugas, Taylor and Ennis before he claims any pound for pound status!

Wasted talent.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aren’t they both 34 years old?

Wasted talent.
    Hard to not say a waste, but deserves to acknowledge-this is what happens with Arum, DAZN,PBC, Haymon...A fight doesn't get made? almost always involves the above.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evening chaps. Looking forward to this one. I think Crawford puts on a show here.

Thread Information