Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Josh Taylor v Jack Catterall

Josh Taylor confirms 'delight' at return to Scotland in undisputed title defence

Taylor is set to face Jack Catterall in a mandatory undisputed world title defence in December in Glasgow, and has revealed he will be 'happy' to return home in front of a capacity crowd

Josh Taylor has confirmed his 'happiness' as a return to Glasgow against Jack Catterall nears completion.

The undisputed champion made history in Las Vegas when he secured a dominant unanimous decision victory over Jose Ramirez to earn all the belts in the super lightweight division, and set up a potential move to other weight divisions with his titles.

And the Scottish star has since been linked with a 'double' undisputed clash with undefeated American Terence Crawford later in the year, as his stock continues to peak in the boxing world in recent years.

But first he will face a return to his home country in Scotland, where he looks set to defend his titles against Catterall, and he has revealed his 'happiness' upon his return to native land with a capacity crowd expected at the Hydro Arena in Glasgow.

“I haven’t boxed at home for over two years. It’s [going to be] good to be back at The Hydro,” Taylor told ESPN+ ringside reporter Michelle Phelps.

“I’m happy to be back and provide a fight for my home fans.

“Jack’s a good lad, a very good fighter as well. He’s very patient to wait for this opportunity, he stepped aside. Now I’m giving this fight he’s been waiting for. It’s a tough fight but I’m going to win.”

Taylor has already conquered the likes of Ivan Baranchyk, Regis Prograis, Viktor Postol and Ohara Davies, but is looking to expand his resume further and take on further challenges across the different weight divisions.

His potential opponent Catterall staked his claims to the shot with a routine victory over Abderrazak Houya back in December 2020, but has patiently waited for the clash with Ramirez to end and earn his own shot at becoming undisputed champion.

And the Scottish champion Taylor confirmed his plans to fight Catterall back in his 'second home' where he has delivered some successful nights in the past during his spotless career to date.

"It's not fully confirmed, but it's looking like that is going to be next, but we don't know so I can't comment too much," Taylor explained.

Will Taylor fight undisputed champion Teofimo Lopez? Comment below

"It will be [in Glasgow], we were looking to get an outside venue in Edinburgh in Easter Road but December in Scotland it just wasn't going to happen.

"So it's back to the Hydro in Glasgow where I have had most of my successes in my career; I won my gold medal in the Commonwealth Games there and I won my world title there.

"I've had big fights there so it's like my second home and I can't wait to get home and fight again."

Another potential future fight that could break the record books, could be a huge lightweight battle with Teofimo Lopez with all the marbles at stake, but he first must come through his initially scheduled mandatory defence against George Kambosos.

Taylor previously labelled his fellow undisputed rival a 's***house' after Lopez previously claimed he would not take the fight in the UK.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...eturn-24780395
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Taylor v Jack Catterall

Josh Taylor has warned that challenger Jack Catterall "hasn't overly impressed me" ahead of their all-British world-title clash.

Undisputed super-lightweight champion Taylor will put his belts and status as Britain's most accomplished fighter at stake against Catterall on December 18, live on Sky Sports, in his homecoming to Scotland at The SSE Hydro.

Josh Taylor has warned that challenger Jack Catterall "hasn't overly impressed me" ahead of their all-British world-title clash.

Undisputed super-lightweight champion Taylor will put his belts and status as Britain's most accomplished fighter at stake against Catterall on December 18, live on Sky Sports, in his homecoming to Scotland at The SSE Hydro.

Taylor told Sky Sports about Catterall: "I've known him and been watching him for a long time.

"At one point he was above me in the rankings and was knocking on the door for a world title.

"I always knew that I could beat him with no problems.

"I've always known that I am a better fighter than him.

"He's 26-0 - he has beaten every fighter put in front of him, done everything that has been asked of him.

"He has put in decent performances but nothing that really impresses me.

"After every fight he says: 'I wasn't at my best but I got a few rounds in'. He hasn't overly impressed me but I do see a very good fighter.

"He is very savvy, very skilful and he knows his way around the ring."

Lancashire southpaw Catterall is the mandatory challenger for Taylor and will head towards the vociferous atmosphere in Glasgow with an upset in mind.

Taylor beat Jose Ramirez with every super-lightweight belt at stake, concluding a spectacular run that saw him win the World Boxing Super Series by also beating previously undefeated world champions Regis Prograis and Ivan Baranchyk.

He said about returning to Scotland: "I can't wait for the homecoming. I haven't boxed in Scotland for nearly three years - the last one was Baranchyk.

"I've had my greatest successes in Glasgow - the Commonwealths, a couple of big fights, the first world title."

Taylor said about his dream of fighting at Edinburgh Castle: "I really hope so. They have had golf exhibitions, they have had Madonna!

"My football team, Hibernian, want me at their training ground and want me to have a big fight at their ground."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

josh is injured
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor: World title defence against Jack Catterall delayed

Josh Taylor's homecoming world title defence against Jack Catterall has been delayed to 26 February after the undisputed super-lightweight champion injured his knee in training.

They were set to meet on 18 December at Glasgow's Hydro arena.

The new date at the same venue is Taylor's first defence since his historic win over Jose Ramirez in May.

"I am gutted I won't be able to defend my titles on 18 December as planned," said the 30-year-old Scot.

"But I wanted to make sure I was 100% healthy to give my incredible fans the show they deserve.

"This homecoming has been a long time in the making and it will be worth the wait."

Englishman Catterall, 28, says he will "turn the frustration into positive energy" with the WBO mandatory challenger adding: "2022, I will be world champion."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59001888

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor jokes he is "sick of looking" at Jack Catterall as rivals face off

Taylor and Catterall exchanged words ahead of their undisputed tilt in February where the champion joked he was "sick" of seeing his opponent already after their original meeting was rescheduled

Josh Taylor joked that he was "sick" of seeing his rival Jack Catterall during their face-off ahead of the champion's undisputed mandatory defence in February.

The Scottish star was set to defend his belts on December 18 in Glasgow before he was forced to withdraw after suffering a knee injury.

Catterall will be handed his title shot on February 26, however, after the bout was rescheduled to take place at the Hydro Arena.

A tense face-off was held between the pair on Tuesday with Taylor making a joke during their stare down : "Keep dreaming, I’m getting sick of looking at your face already.”

Both southpaws are undefeated during their careers with Taylor earning his unified titles in an emphatic victory on American soil against Jose Ramirez earlier this year.

Meanwhile, Catterall agreed to step aside to allow the undisputed clash to take place in May, but is yet to step into the ring since November 2020 where he defeated Abderrazak Houya.

Taylor has admitted he has lots of "respect" for his opponent next year after his decision to step aside, but has admitted he is currently his "enemy".

“He’s a very good fighter, he's been knocking on the door for world titles for a couple years now,” Taylor said. "He stepped aside to let me fight [Jose] Ramirez, but it wasn’t all out of the good of his heart.

"He knows by stepping aside he gets a shot at all the belts, at the lottery. It’s my job to make sure he doesn’t get anywhere near it, and he won’t. If the fight were next week, I’d be ready.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for Jack, he knows that, but as for now: He’s my enemy, I hate his guts. He’s a great guy, but we put the fondness aside now.

“If the stoppage is there, I’ll take it. I’m a good finisher when someone’s hurt, but I’m not gonna go looking for it.”

Mirror Fighting discovered earlier in the year that there was a rematch clause available if Taylor is to be defeated by Catterall next year.

Catterall is extremely keen to spring a surprise after waiting so long for his golden opportunity at all the belts, accepting the offer to travel into Taylor's back yard in Scotland.

The 28-year-old has responded to Taylor's claim that he is keen to find a stoppage by insisting he will take any method of victory providing his plan is implemented correctly.

“I’ve beat everybody domestically," Catterall said. "I’ve been reaching for this shot for over two years now.

“We’ve been studying Josh, I was over there for the Ramirez fight. I was supporting Josh for this fight to be made. There’s certain stuff we can work on and implement to beat Josh. Everything’s got to go right.

“I’ve been working towards this fight pretty much all year. I win by turning up in Glasgow on 26 February and being Jack Catterall. If I stop Josh, happy days; if I win on points, all good.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...oking-25638310

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor makes fast and furious vow ahead of Jack Catterall showdown in Glasgow

Undisputed star will display characteristics of his idol Valentino Rossi as he makes first defence of his light-welterweight belts

Josh Taylor reckons the character and performance traits he shares with his sporting idol Valentino Rossi will see him to victory over Jack Catterall on Saturday.

The undisputed light-welterweight champion finally faces fellow Brit Catterall, the WBO’s mandatory challenger, on Top Rank’s Glasgow bill after a knee injury to Taylor saw the fight pushed back from its original December date.

Now both men are fit and raring to go, and Taylor is adamant he will retain his WBO, WBA, IBF and WBC belts in what is his first defence of the full set if he puts on the kind of display that Rossi would have been proud of on his motorbike in his racing heyday.

Taylor said: “He was fast and furious but always in control and that 100 per cent sounds like me.

Taylor lands a shot on Jose Ramirez on his way to becoming Britain's first undisputed champion of the four-belt era

“I’m fast and furious but I’m very much in control of what I’m doing, of my emotions and being disciplined.

“It might look like I’m ferocious and being nasty and vicious but I’m very much in control of it.

“The big similarities between us would be the will to win, the competitive nature and doing what it takes to make sure you get the right result.

“He put in the work and dedicated himself to his sport.”

Taylor added: “I’ve been into motorbikes all my life, my dad used to race them and I’ve been on them since I was a little boy of about four or five, messing around on them.

“Motorbikes are my passion and first love — I grew up watching the World Superbikes and the MotoGP, and Valentino Rossi was bursting on to the scene in the 250cc and 125cc class.

“I loved his charisma, his character, he’s fan-friendly and exciting, so that’s why he’s a big role model for me.

“I’ve never met him but would love the chance — I’d chop someone’s arm off for that.

“Just to talk to him about motorbikes and all sorts of stuff…

“He retired last year with not a great bunch of results but he was still in the premium class in the world at 41, 42 years old, competing with youngsters and being competitive, so it just goes to show the kind of mindset he has got.”

Taylor became the first British fighter of the four-belt era to become undisputed champion last May, with only Oleksandr Usyk, Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor and Terence Crawford achieving the feat globally before him.

Since them, Saul Alvarez has joined the club.

Taylor added: “It will mean the world to me to prolong my time with all these belts.

“I don’t want to get beaten, I have a fear of losing, I’m a born winner.

“I’m competitive in everything I do and everything I do is geared towards winning.

I’m not here to make the numbers up, I’m here to win every time I step into the ring.

“Jack is a very good opponent, he does things well and is very well rounded.

“I rate him highly.

“But I’m here to be on top for as long as I can in the sport.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...rious-26272045

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i like jack but i don't think he's good enough to beat josh. is there some sort of kick back for posting all these articles?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think I've ever seen someone look so out of place at the highest level as Catterall. He's either a great poker player. Or he's out of his depth and he knows it.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i like jack but i don't think he's good enough to beat josh. is there some sort of kick back for posting all these articles?
    It is a boxing forum. So putting relevant articles to the thread. Do it for the love of the game. No conspiracy.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked your post because of the sentence on @Master getting kick backs.
    But tell me, are you on first name terms with every professional boxer?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It is a boxing forum. So putting relevant articles to the thread. Do it for the love of the game. No conspiracy.
    i'm sure if someone is interested they can find the content on their own. an article or link here or there sure. your sharing seems over the top. if someone requests a link or info different story
    Last edited by TIC; 02-22-2022 at 10:54 PM.

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    what's wrong with calling them by their name? i also use nicknames

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is on ESPN+ for you @Spicoli

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    what's wrong with calling them by their name? i also use nicknames
    Do you use their nicknames when you can’t remember their names or when you know them better? @TIC! FRIEND TO THE STARS!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Women's boxing on Jones v Kathopouli. Very crude and little technique from both.

Thread Information