Josh Taylor confirms 'delight' at return to Scotland in undisputed title defence

Taylor is set to face Jack Catterall in a mandatory undisputed world title defence in December in Glasgow, and has revealed he will be 'happy' to return home in front of a capacity crowd

Josh Taylor has confirmed his 'happiness' as a return to Glasgow against Jack Catterall nears completion.

The undisputed champion made history in Las Vegas when he secured a dominant unanimous decision victory over Jose Ramirez to earn all the belts in the super lightweight division, and set up a potential move to other weight divisions with his titles.

And the Scottish star has since been linked with a 'double' undisputed clash with undefeated American Terence Crawford later in the year, as his stock continues to peak in the boxing world in recent years.

But first he will face a return to his home country in Scotland, where he looks set to defend his titles against Catterall, and he has revealed his 'happiness' upon his return to native land with a capacity crowd expected at the Hydro Arena in Glasgow.

“I haven’t boxed at home for over two years. It’s [going to be] good to be back at The Hydro,” Taylor told ESPN+ ringside reporter Michelle Phelps.

“I’m happy to be back and provide a fight for my home fans.

“Jack’s a good lad, a very good fighter as well. He’s very patient to wait for this opportunity, he stepped aside. Now I’m giving this fight he’s been waiting for. It’s a tough fight but I’m going to win.”

Taylor has already conquered the likes of Ivan Baranchyk, Regis Prograis, Viktor Postol and Ohara Davies, but is looking to expand his resume further and take on further challenges across the different weight divisions.

His potential opponent Catterall staked his claims to the shot with a routine victory over Abderrazak Houya back in December 2020, but has patiently waited for the clash with Ramirez to end and earn his own shot at becoming undisputed champion.

And the Scottish champion Taylor confirmed his plans to fight Catterall back in his 'second home' where he has delivered some successful nights in the past during his spotless career to date.

"It's not fully confirmed, but it's looking like that is going to be next, but we don't know so I can't comment too much," Taylor explained.

Will Taylor fight undisputed champion Teofimo Lopez? Comment below

"It will be [in Glasgow], we were looking to get an outside venue in Edinburgh in Easter Road but December in Scotland it just wasn't going to happen.

"So it's back to the Hydro in Glasgow where I have had most of my successes in my career; I won my gold medal in the Commonwealth Games there and I won my world title there.

"I've had big fights there so it's like my second home and I can't wait to get home and fight again."

Another potential future fight that could break the record books, could be a huge lightweight battle with Teofimo Lopez with all the marbles at stake, but he first must come through his initially scheduled mandatory defence against George Kambosos.

Taylor previously labelled his fellow undisputed rival a 's***house' after Lopez previously claimed he would not take the fight in the UK.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...eturn-24780395