I bought the fight and I bet on Plant- not a huge bet ($500) but I thought maybe he would be tricky and slick enough to score the upset. I thought it was a good fight- Canelo puts on a ton of pressure and Plant wilted. Good win for Canelo and I think the guy is magnificent- he has a great resume and I love when fighters unify and clean divisions out.
Some thoughts on potential next fights:
1. Charlo: Interesting fight for me as Canelo is small at 168 and Charlo is bigger, faster, and more explosive. I like Canelo more and don’t really like Charlo but this would be a really interesting fight in my opinion.
2. Benevidas: Another really interesting fight against a much larger opponent. I think Canelo will be more mobile but Benevidas is a monster and is effective walking people down behind a great parry defense and strong jab.
3. GGG: Great trilogy fight that should be more convincing this time for Canelo. GGG is older and I feel like he has regressed where Canelo has improved.
4. Bivol/Beterbiev: Similar to when people wanted Floyd to fight Winky Wright and GGG- I’m intrigued by that fight and would pay to watch it but think it is a bridge too far and unfair to ask of Canelo. It also speaks volumes to their dominance that people feel their only viable challenges were far above their best/natural weights. I think both of those guys are too big and strong for Canelo- I don’t see him being competitive with either.
Thoughts on the Ward, Joe C, Froch discussion:
1. Ward: Too big and too good/ versatile- I think he beats Canelo convincingly. No shame in that as Canelo is above his best weight and Ward is an ATG, and maybe the best 168 pounder ever.
2. Joe C: This is a really intriguing fight as Joe was very mobile, fast, and active in his prime. I’m not sure that Canelo’s punches discourage or seriously hurt Joe, but I think that is possible. This would be a very good fight and I slightly favor Joe’s activity/volume and awkward style.
3. Froch: Great match up. Canelo would have to use his legs and outbox Froch. Even with that, Froch could turn it on and walk him down- forcing a shootout. I like Froch in this one and think it is a bad style match up for Canelo.