Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez v Caleb Plant - bring on undisputed

Pardon me if I don't shed a tear for poor widdle Canelo, who had to "plunge" all the way down to 152 for the fight. All of two pounds below a weight he had been at for years.

By contrast you have a Floyd who had campaigned almost exclusively at 147, going up only occasionally to super welter.

OMG! What an advantage for Floyd!

Weight drain?? I'm sure Canelo had gained it all back by fight time and then some.

Floyd may have been the "A-side" (whatever that means in this case). But Canelo conceded practically nothing.

On the other hand, he DID bring his own judges to the fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    there is nothing wrong with being beaten by a great fighter. it's not like canelo quit

The point of the argument is not whether there is something wrong with being beaten by a great fighter.
    The point of the argument is whether or not the fight was competitive.

It wasn't.
    i gave canelo five rounds. canelo lost. it was a fight that he learned from & has improved

Lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. Canelo was outpunched in every round. But judging is somewhat subjective, so obviously there will be differences in opinion.
    Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

Doesn't change the fact he was shut out and humiliated.
    None of the credible publications on Floyd's toughest fights come anywhere near including the Canelo fight as one of them.
    one judge that gets paid for a living gave canelo an extra round than i did. i don't think canelo was humiliated. he lost more rounds to a great fighter & used it as a learning experience. quitting would be humiliating

Really? You gonna use CJ Ross as a measuring stick? Wow.

Nothing more need be said....

Except that your definition of humiliating and mine totally differ. To me it includes clamoring for a fight you should've never been given... and then falling flat on your face. One of my favorite fights ever.
    you said it's lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. i was just highlighting what a judge who is paid for a living handed in. our definitions of humiliating does differ. usually in boxing there has to be a winner & a loser. there is nothing wrong with losing to a great fighter. if you are made to quit in a fight that is humiliating to me

Let's not say "humiliating", then. Let's say embarrassing. Canelo had no business sharing a ring with Floyd, and it became crystal clear in a lopsided fight.
    Just because one corrupt and/or inept judge saw it even, doesn't change the reality that it was in fact a lopsided fight.

If you stepped into a tennis court with Roger Federer, it would become crystal clear you had no business being there. If you played till the end, ok... you didn't quit.
    But it would be an embarrassment of major proportions.

Canelo and his people demanded the fight. He used his "A-side" diva B.S. to get it.
    It quickly became obvious how unwarranted that had been.

But again... don't just take my word for it.
    There are plenty of boxing experts and publications out there that agree.
    yo can say humiliating or embarrassing all you like. i don't agree with you. i gave canelo five rounds. i thought he lost to the better fight but i had him winning rounds. i'm not a professional tennis player but if i got to play against roger i wouldn't be embarrassed at all. i would do my best & accept i was defeated by a great in his field. now if i used that experience to learn from & improve my own skills then i'd have nothing to be embarrassed about. but if i quit, that would be embarrassing. the canelo v floyd fight also did major ppv buys & made both guys a boat load of money. so another success for a prize fighter
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there is nothing wrong with being beaten by a great fighter. it's not like canelo quit

The point of the argument is not whether there is something wrong with being beaten by a great fighter.

It wasn't.
    i gave canelo five rounds. canelo lost. it was a fight that he learned from & has improved

Lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. Canelo was outpunched in every round. But judging is somewhat subjective, so obviously there will be differences in opinion.
    Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

None of the credible publications on Floyd's toughest fights come anywhere near including the Canelo fight as one of them.
    one judge that gets paid for a living gave canelo an extra round than i did. i don't think canelo was humiliated. he lost more rounds to a great fighter & used it as a learning experience. quitting would be humiliating

Except that your definition of humiliating and mine totally differ. To me it includes clamoring for a fight you should've never been given... and then falling flat on your face. One of my favorite fights ever.
    you said it's lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. i was just highlighting what a judge who is paid for a living handed in. our definitions of humiliating does differ. usually in boxing there has to be a winner & a loser. there is nothing wrong with losing to a great fighter. if you are made to quit in a fight that is humiliating to me

Let's not say "humiliating", then. Let's say embarrassing. Canelo had no business sharing a ring with Floyd, and it became crystal clear in a lopsided fight.
    Just because one corrupt and/or inept judge saw it even, doesn't change the reality that it was in fact a lopsided fight.

If you stepped into a tennis court with Roger Federer, it would become crystal clear you had no business being there. If you played till the end, ok... you didn't quit.

Canelo and his people demanded the fight. He used his "A-side" diva B.S. to get it.

yo can say humiliating or embarrassing all you like. i don't agree with you. i gave canelo five rounds. i thought he lost to the better fight but i had him winning rounds. i'm not a professional tennis player but if i got to play against roger i wouldn't be embarrassed at all. i would do my best & accept i was defeated by a great in his field. now if i used that experience to learn from & improve my own skills then i'd have nothing to be embarrassed about. but if i quit, that would be embarrassing. the canelo v floyd fight also did major ppv buys & made both guys a boat load of money. so another success for a prize fighter
    Canelo didn’t win 5 rounds against Floyd. I don’t think he won 1.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

It wasn't.

Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

Canelo didn’t win 5 rounds against Floyd. I don’t think he won 1.
    i gave him five rounds
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information