Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez v Caleb Plant - bring on undisputed

Caleb Plant savages Canelo Alvarez and his trainer Eddy Reynoso after gymmate Oscar Valdez is cleared to fight despite testing positive for phentermine

Caleb Plant has ripped into Canelo Alvarez and his trainer Eddy Reynoso after gymmate Oscar Valdez was cleared to fight despite a positive drugs test.

It was revealed earlier this week that the WBC super-featherweight champion tested positive for phentermine – a central-nervous stimulant.

His team have insisted that the Mexican did not knowingly ingest the substance ahead of his defence against Robson Conceicao on September 10 and claim to believe it came from “an herbal tea”.

Phentermine is on the VADA banned list, but VADA merely collect the samples and report test results. They do not enforce rulings, this is the job of the various boxing commissions.

Some commissions adhere to the VADA banned list when ruling on such matters, but others follow the WADA code.

Under the WADA code, phentermine is only banned ‘in competition’ – and the ‘in competition’ period only begins on fight day itself.

As such, the local commission in this instance have cleared Valdez to fight regardless of the positive test.

Valdez achieved a career-best win back in February as he knocked out long-reigning champion Miguel Berchelt to become a two-weight king.

Now, some boxers across the sport are not only raising questions about him, but his camp, too.

Valdez is part of Reynoso’s ‘Canelo Team’ – widely considered one of the greatest stables in boxing today.

Reynoso is thought to be the frontrunner for Trainer of the Year in 2021 having not only guided Valdez to a stunning win, but also trained Ryan Garcia, Andy Ruiz Jr and boxing’s pound-for-pound king Canelo himself.

Back in 2018, Canelo received a six-month ban after testing positive for clenbuterol and had to postpone his rematch with Gennady Golovkin as a result.

He always insisted this test result was due to contaminated meat in Mexico.

In 2019, WBC flyweight champion Julio Cesar Martinez, also part of Reynoso’s gym, tested positive for clenbuterol as well.

However, WADA (World Anti-Doping Association) recognised the issue in Mexico and so raised the allowable threshold, meaning Martinez was not punished.

The WBC subsequently put out a statement insisting that this was “confirmation of the innocence” of Canelo.

Regardless, in some quarters the damage was already done in terms of the reputation of Reynoso’s gym.

Now, two years later, the situation with Valdez has reignited such talk.

Caleb Plant is set to face Canelo in a career-defining undisputed title fight.

The American IBF super-middleweight champion went on a rant after seeing the news about Valdez being cleared to fight.

Plant began: “Damn shame. Some people want to be great so bad that they cheat and then there’s people who want to be GREAT so bad that they DON’T. Doing that isn’t confidence, it’s FEAR!

“Na, Eddy Reynoso and Canelo deserve ‘BITCH of the Year’!

“All of them are suspect. Everything out of that camp is intentional.

“They have the knowledge and experience to know better and the resources to have the best of the best in whatever they want but [taco emoji] or [meat emoji] or some [herbal tea emoji] is the reason.

“Nobody puts ANYTHING in MY BODY without me getting it approved first by VADA (whose the strictest testing company) at this level.

“And with everything that’s at risk, why would I let somebody else play with MY name.

“So after everything a fighter works for and sacrifices you’re just going to let someone tell you to take something and you’re just going to take it and not even be concerned that they may be FLUSHING all you’ve accomplished down the drain.

“Because at the end of the day has a name even been mentioned of who might of gave him the “herbal tea” NOPE!

“The only name that’s came out is the one who took it so why let someone put you in that position.

“If you really start asking yourself these questions and really start unpackaging all this question by question does it really add up?

“Does it really may sense? F*** NO. This sport has no place for cheaters.

“You mean to tell me you have made over a $100million and live in San Diego, but you ate some tacos or a steak at some random ass taco stand in Mexico or some random ass steak and just doing that once made your levels THAT HIGH?

“Get the f*** outta here. People don’t take this stuff out of confidence, they take it out of FEAR!

“They don’t wanna let their NUTS HANG so they take s*** that’ll make them shrink.

“I said what I said and I stand by it so f*** whoever don’t like it. The people INNNNN the sport know what’s up, but the ones who don’t speak up are the same ones who cheat just like them.

“It almost seems frowned upon to even speak up on this stuff in boxing but I don’t give a f***.

“There’s a whole other world out there when it comes to banned substances that people in the fight game don’t wanna speak up about but I could care less. There’s no room it.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...z-phentermine/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Caleb is 100% correct in his rant. The whole thing is a joke. The WBC blatantly protects Mexican fighters against doping allegations, and everyone knows that. Which is why I've referred to it as the "Mexican Mafia", although some object to that.

LOL... and good on Plant for calling Canelo and Reynoso "BITCH of the Year", although he stands no chance in this fight which still remains a foregone conclusion.

All Caleb's accomplishing in the end is adding some morbid interest in a fight that has always been a foregone conclusion.... thus benefiting Canelo by making his assured victory bigger than it really is.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

caleb is going to get hurt
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Caleb Plant brings Andre Ward into camp to help train for Canelo Alvarez, with recently retired legend providing advice ahead of undisputed showdown

Caleb Plant has enlisted boxing legend Andre Ward and trainer Virgil Hunter to join his camp ahead of his fight with Canelo Alvarez on November 6.

America’s IBF super-middleweight world champion is set for a career-defining showdown against the Mexican superstar, who holds the WBA, WBC and WBO belts.

The winner will be crowned as the first four-belt undisputed super-middleweight champion in history.

Canelo is widely considered boxing’s pound-for-pound king – a position he seized not long after Ward’s retirement in 2017.

As such, he is a big favourite in the contest with many pointing out Plant’s lack of experience against world level opposition, let alone against elite level fighters like Canelo.

Now though, the American has seemingly brought in a source of experience to bolster his gym.

Plant posted a series of images which showed him working with Ward and Hunter over the weekend.

He is yet to comment on the specifics of this newfound relationship or clarify how it affects his original training team.

Regardless, even if this is just a temporary link-up it could bolster Plant significantly as he heads into the fight of his life.

Ward, who was trained by Hunter himself, is a former unified super-middleweight and light-heavyweight world champion.

He retired undefeated at 32-0 in 2017 having beaten Sergey Kovalev, Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler and many more.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...anelo-alvarez/

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No matter. Anything other than a one-sided beatdown of Plant will be a significant UNDERachievement for Canelo.
    Plant is a notch above Yildirim.
    A small notch.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all the fighters Ward chose to back and against of all opposition, I have to give at least slight consideration that there is a fighter who can exploit Canelo's game. and it may not be the fighter we thing is capable- usually a high profile name.

Also Ellerbe seeming to think so- not claiming he is better, but I like how he put it. Stated he has all the wrong things to offer Canelo.

Neither has persuaded me, but they have me intrigued!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They're playing into Canelo's hands. When the inevitable beating occurs, Canelo will get more credit than he's due... thanks to 1. Caleb's trash talking about Team Canelo doping, and 2. having Ward in his corner (like that's gonna do anything). It's not like Ward himself is stepping into the ring to fight Canelo. That didn't happen, much to Canelo's benefit. Else he'd have another "L" on his record.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    They're playing into Canelo's hands. When the inevitable beating occurs, Canelo will get more credit than he's due... thanks to 1. Caleb's trash talking about Team Canelo doping, and 2. having Ward in his corner (like that's gonna do anything). It's not like Ward himself is stepping into the ring to fight Canelo. That didn't happen, much to Canelo's benefit. Else he'd have another "L" on his record.
    True that Ward isn't stepping in the ring however he knows this fight will dictate if anyone else will seek his help. I remember Jean Pascal seeking the help of an ex champion- namely RJJ. Your take on Ward helping is how I felt with RJJ. Couldnt figure out why a potshotter whose reflexes dictated his wins would be proof he could teach someone how to box...that had been boxing already.

With Ward I gotta think he will employ some mind games in that ring. knowing when to hit, when to hold, how to frustrate. So yeah I am playing into the hands as well!

Canelo is a damn good fighter with few holes, nevertheless he has flaws. Only the elite can execute such a gameplan. I have nothing to go on that Caleb is the one, I am just acknowledging 2 insiders that have no qualms on stating- this aint the guy! Plant is being looked at as an easy win, maybe Canelo wins but struggles in doing so?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    True that Ward isn't stepping in the ring however he knows this fight will dictate if anyone else will seek his help. I remember Jean Pascal seeking the help of an ex champion- namely RJJ. Your take on Ward helping is how I felt with RJJ. Couldnt figure out why a potshotter whose reflexes dictated his wins would be proof he could teach someone how to box...that had been boxing already.

With Ward I gotta think he will employ some mind games in that ring. knowing when to hit, when to hold, how to frustrate. So yeah I am playing into the hands as well!

Canelo is a damn good fighter with few holes, nevertheless he has flaws. Only the elite can execute such a gameplan. I have nothing to go on that Caleb is the one, I am just acknowledging 2 insiders that have no qualms on stating- this aint the guy! Plant is being looked at as an easy win, maybe Canelo wins but struggles in doing so?

Oh I think Ward could very well teach Caleb a few things. I just don't think it's gonna overcome the vast advantages that Canelo has. All that's being accomplished by Caleb's doping trash-talking (true as it may be), and now turning to Ward for advice... is that Canelo's win will be looked at as something more than it really is. Canelo fights few, if any, opponents that represent a true danger and where the outcome is truly up in the air. It's taken the fun out of boxing. Caleb Plant is, frankly... a relative nobody. Unfortunately, the talent pool at 168 is woefully poor... and the few fighters who might represent a danger to Canelo... Canelo won't be facing any time soon. I'm just making sure I'm on record that Canelo's win over Plant is a foregone conclusion. Just like it was with Yildirim. This isn't boxing. It's the coronation of a diva.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great bit of action overnight. Apparently Canelo, who's every second word in English is motherfucker, becomes incensed when you say it to him!! You don't talk about my momma (cue Bobby Boucher joke) So he gave Plant a shove. Plant had a swipe at Canelo, Canelo had a swipe back and Plant got a cut eye. Apparently nothing serious so no threat to the fight.

That wasn't the best part. The best part was Plant blasting Canelo and every mother fucker around him about drugs. It needed saying and needs saying repeatedly, Plant said it to their faces.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Great bit of action overnight. Apparently Canelo, who's every second word in English is motherfucker, becomes incensed when you say it to him!! You don't talk about my momma (cue Bobby Boucher joke) So he gave Plant a shove. Plant had a swipe at Canelo, Canelo had a swipe back and Plant got a cut eye. Apparently nothing serious so no threat to the fight.

That wasn't the best part. The best part was Plant blasting Canelo and every mother fucker around him about drugs. It needed saying and needs saying repeatedly, Plant said it to their faces.
    I would have thought Canelo would have his lawyers prepare a watertight contract against Plant that he could not say anything to upset Saul.

I would also mention the loaded gloves.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is gonna beat the absolute shit out of him with his "concrete loaded" hand wraps & horse hair gloves when they get in that ring.

Not a good idea calling his mum names

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez reveals what sparked wild press conference brawl with Caleb Plant

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has warned Caleb Plant he is not on his level during their explosive press conference that saw the two come to blows.

WBA, WBC and WBO champion Canelo and IBF king Plant came face-to-face for the first time ahead of November’s super-middleweight unification showdown in California on Tuesday.

After exchanging some heated words, the Mexican shoved Plant across the stage. Plant responded by swinging a left at his opponent only for Canelo to dodge it and connect with a counter left before security swarmed the stage to break things up.

After the brawl, the press conference was finally able to get underway with tensions still high.

Plant at one stage referenced Canelo’s six month ban for a failed drugs test in 2018, almost sparking a second melee.

‘Keep laughing, mother f****r. You’re going to find out real soon. Mark my words, you b***h. [Canelo’s trainer, Eddy Reynoso) is a fat a** b***h and you’re a b***h, what the f**k are you going to do?

‘And you’re a drug cheat! … You’re a cheater! You’re a cheater! You got suspended for six months. F**k you.’

Canelo responded with: ‘You’re not on my level. and you will see on 6 November. You will find out, I promise you.’

Asked what sparked the brawl between the two, Canelo seemingly took offence to Plant’s use of the word ‘mother f****r. ‘

‘He can say whatever he wants to say to me, but not to my mom’ Canelo told Showtime’s Brian Cluster.

‘Because I’m gonna [knock] out everybody who say something to my mom. You know, and he swing first. I just push him, but he swing first. Then just, I do what I do.’

But in footage shared by Greg Rothstein of The Athletic, Plant strongly refuted those claims, having lost his own mother in 2019.

Pound-for-pound great Canelo has fought three times over the last 10 months, beating the previously undefeated Callum Smith last December before punishing Avni Yildirim in February.

The 31-year-old added the WBO title to his collection in May with a huge win over Billy Joe Saunders, forcing the stoppage shortly after an uppercut that broke the Briton’s eye socket.

Widely regarded as the best pound-for–pound fighter on the planet, Canelo has just one defeat on his 59-fight record – against Floyd Mayweather Jr back in 2013.

Tennessee fighter Plant is undefeated in 21 fights.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/21/canel...lant-15296303/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The PBC/Haymon did a number on team Canelo with the drugs stuff, that's the reason you need a top promoter, it's one thing Plant bringing it up but the MC too, lol. However, we saw what will happen in the fight. Plant was nearly on his back from the shove then got carved up by a counter left/right.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Caleb Plant suffered horrific family tragedies with losses of mother and 19-month-old daughter, but fought on to become world champion and is now facing Canelo Alvarez

Caleb Plant is a 21-0 undefeated world champion, and yet in reality he’s lost more than most fighters could ever comprehend.

From the outside, it would appear the rich, talented, well-spoken American has everything going for him.

‘Sweethands’ Plant is the IBF super-middleweight world champion

On the inside, though, he carries a deep grief having endured the worst fate that can possibly befall any parent.

Plant grew up in a small town called Ashland City, Tennessee and started boxing at the age of nine.

Through succeeding in his amateur career, he eventually escaped the clutches of poverty, criminality and substance abuse which surrounded him in his local community.

Caleb’s mother, Beth Plant, had a substance dependency problem and his family endured poverty like many in the town.

As a teen, Plant even found himself dealing drugs for his mother. Boxing was his way out.

Father Richie Plant constructed a shoddy gym in the hope of providing his son with the conditions to one day achieve a better life.

The boxing ring was marked out by tape on the ground and it was here where Caleb, now 28, first honed his skills.

As he came towards the end of his impressive amateur career – in which he had been a reserve for the USA’s 2012 Olympic team – Plant fathered a baby girl, Alia.

However, the 20-year-old and his 19-year-old partner at the time, Carman Jean Briscoe-Lee, were soon devastated by the news that she was fighting for her life.

Plant recalled in an interview with The Mayweather Channel: “Alia was born with an unknown medical condition.

“I had her blood sent off to do over 50,000 tests at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital which is probably the most prestigious children’s hospital in the world. Everything came back negative.

“She would have at least 150 seizures per day. There was not one day she would have under 150 seizures.

“There were probably a handful of times where I got to hold her and look at her and make eye contact where I felt like, ‘Wow, I think she sees me, I think she’s actually looking at me.’

“Maybe five times in 19 months. And the rest you could tell was like a blur, it was just foggy. She didn’t know where she was or who I was it seemed like.

“She had brain damage, she had zero motor skills, she couldn’t sit up, she couldn’t hold her head up, she couldn’t make a fist.

“She would randomly kick her leg here or there, but she couldn’t eat. She ate through a tube in her stomach.

“I gave her eight medicines twice a day, I had to cath her, I had to give her shots every day in her leg.

“She had eight doctors appointments per week downtown. There would be months on end that I lived and stayed at the hospital, even in my training camps.

“I would wake up, go to the gym and train, come back and spend time with her, go to strength and conditioning, come back and rest with her.

“I’d go home every couple days to get more clothes, then I’d come back. I’d go run downtown by Vanderbilt, I’d take ice baths at Vanderbilt in the bathroom.”

This sequence continued for Plant as he ended his amateur career and turned professional with Al Haymon’s PBC.

Carman had to leave her jobs to care for Alia 24/7 so Caleb’s income was vital.

He started on his professional journey in May 2014, just after Alia’s first birthday.

Having built his record to 5-0, Plant was off to a good start and scheduled to have his sixth fight at the end of January 2015.

Tragically though, Alia could not hang on any longer.

“I had a fight in Philadelphia and she was on life support again,” Plant explained, “I was struggling with the decision because she’s been here before, she’s always made it out.

“It was getting very scary with her on life support, she was barely able to stay afloat.

“When I woke up [the next day] things were actually getting worse, so they said, ‘Mr Plant we don’t think you should leave because, we know you’ve told you this a handful of times, but we’re telling you this time your daughter’s gonna pass away.’

“They told me that so I cancelled the fight.

“She was slowly going down and down and down and down and down.

“I went to her and I said, ‘This has been a long 19 months and I know you have to be tired. If you’re tired of this and you’re done, you don’t wanna do this anymore, then your daddy supports you and I’m gonna be right here.’

“Every time before it was, ‘No, this is not gonna happen,’ but I had that conversation with her and she just started going down.

“I got to sit there with her and she took her last breath. January 29 at 10:55.”

Alia Plant passed away in her mother’s arms aged just 19 months.

Remarkably, Plant was back in the ring just five weeks later, vowing to fight on and fulfil the world title promise he had made to his daughter before she died.

It took another four years, but in January 2019, his shot at glory finally arrived.

Rugged Venezuelan Jose Uzcategui was the IBF super-middleweight champion, fresh off an impressive victory over Andre Dirrell.

Plant was an underdog going into the bout, but stunned oddsmakers by flooring Uzcategui in the second round.

He repeated this feat in round four and, despite being staggered himself in the ninth, battled through to the final bell.

When the scorecards were read out, Plant was declared the winner by unanimous decision and the new super-middleweight champion of the world.

He dropped to his knees and sobbed profusely, letting out what appeared several years of suppressed emotion.

“I’ve worked my whole entire life for this, 17 years straight,” Plant said as he tried and failed to compose himself in his post-fight interview.

“I buried my daughter in the process of trying to get this belt.

“I promised her that I’d become a world champion and that I’d bring her this title, and that’s exactly what I’m gonna go back to Tennessee and do.”

Days later, he posted a picture to Instagram of him laying his world title belt on Alia’s grave.

Although the grief will of course never leave the bereaved father, this appeared to be a moment of peace for him, having fulfilled his vow.

Sadly this peace did not last long.

Little over a month later, in March 2015, his mother Beth was in an ambulance being transported to Emergency Medical Services for mental health concerns.

While in the vehicle, she became combative towards medical staff and withdrew a knife from her backpack.

They pulled over and called the police.

When a deputy arrived on the scene, she brandished the knife at him and moved in his direction.

According to the police report, “The deputy screamed many times for her to stop and drop it, she kept coming.”

The deputy fired his gun at Beth Plant who subsequently died at Nashville hospital. She was 51.

Plant was heartbroken once more, but used boxing as his escapism and again did not take long before returning to the ring.

He successfully defended his belt on the Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman undercard just four months later.

Now he is back for the biggest fight of his career in an undisputed showdown with Mexican pound-for-pound king Canelo Alvarez.

The pair came to blows this week ahead of their super-middleweight clash in November with Canelo even drawing blood from Plant during their scuffle.

Canelo later claimed Plant had insulted his mother, to which the American responded: “You’ll never hear me talk about someone’s mother, kids or wife.”

And it’s not hard to see why – Plant has already fulfilled his promise to Alia by becoming world champion, and made his mother Beth proud, but he continues to fight on in search of ultimate glory… which is now not far away.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/8...anelo-alvarez/

Thread Information