20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez v Caleb Plant - bring on undisputed

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    not certain at all but even the Mayweather fight was very competitive. YouTube the fight. Mayweather didn't run him out the ring as what ppl think.

Damn... you're on a roll. First you claim EVERYONE on here had said Canelo would lose to Plant, blatantly ignoring the fact that SOME of us had called Plant an overhyped bum of a Canelo opponent since Day One.

NOW, you claim that the Canelo-Mayweather fight was (cough)... "very competitive."

I'd like to smoke what you're smoking.

No. Mayweather didn't run Canelo out of the ring that night. He walked him out politely. It was an embarrassingly one-sided whitewash which perfectly illustrated the point that...

"Just because someone claims to belong in the same ring with the world's p4p at the time, doesn't mean he actually belongs there. That goes double for his legions of fans."

But I did some homework.

I set out to find an article... ANY article... that would list the Canelo fight as one of Floyd's toughest.

I thought maybe this one. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14030...na-logan-paul/

Nope. This one listed... Emanuel Augustus, Jose Luis Castillo I, DLH, Cotto, Maidana. Alas... no Canelo.

Ok, so I thought maybe Bleacher Report. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eathers-career

Let's see... in order... Castillo I, Maidana, Castillo II, DLH, Augustus, Cotto, Judah, Mosley. Nope. No Canelo to be seen here either.

For sure Pundit Arena.

They've got... Castillo I, Maidana, DLH, Cotto, Carlos Hernandez. Damn... no Canelo here either.

Starting to get the picture?

Let's look at punch stats, shall we?

Floyd Mayweather outlanded Canelo in EVERY...... SINGLE...... ROUND. Sometimes by a 2:1 or even 3:1 margin.

Maybe when you say "very competitive", you were looking at it from CJ Ross's vantage point.

It's the only plausible explanation I would be able to come up with.

Let's face it. Canelo was gifted the opportunity to step into the ring with Floyd Mayweather who.... albeit being the smaller man.... handed a HUMILIATING boxing lesson to Canelo... and a reality check to the legions of blind Canelo fans who demanded the fight in the first place.
    When I say Mayweather - Canelo was a very competive fight that doesn't mean I think it was a close fight. What I'm saying is that every single round in the Mayweather - Canelo fight was competitive. It's just that Mayweather won those competive rounds

It's bit like when Joshua fought Ruiz in the rematch. That was also very competitive fight but it wasn't a close fight. You never thought "Joshua got this easy" there was always that sense of danger.

Canelo lost to the best fighter in the world (Mayweather) but he didn't lose that badly. Floyd don't ruin fighters. It's not like Canelo was beaten bloody or knocked out or anything like that. In fact Canelo's probably had harder sparring session but he was outboxed.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not certain at all but even the Mayweather fight was very competitive. YouTube the fight. Mayweather didn't run him out the ring as what ppl think.

Damn... you're on a roll. First you claim EVERYONE on here had said Canelo would lose to Plant, blatantly ignoring the fact that SOME of us had called Plant an overhyped bum of a Canelo opponent since Day One.

NOW, you claim that the Canelo-Mayweather fight was (cough)... "very competitive."

No. Mayweather didn't run Canelo out of the ring that night. He walked him out politely. It was an embarrassingly one-sided whitewash which perfectly illustrated the point that...

"Just because someone claims to belong in the same ring with the world's p4p at the time, doesn't mean he actually belongs there. That goes double for his legions of fans."

But I did some homework.

I set out to find an article... ANY article... that would list the Canelo fight as one of Floyd's toughest.

Nope. This one listed... Emanuel Augustus, Jose Luis Castillo I, DLH, Cotto, Maidana. Alas... no Canelo.

Ok, so I thought maybe Bleacher Report. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eathers-career

Let's see... in order... Castillo I, Maidana, Castillo II, DLH, Augustus, Cotto, Judah, Mosley. Nope. No Canelo to be seen here either.

For sure Pundit Arena.

They've got... Castillo I, Maidana, DLH, Cotto, Carlos Hernandez. Damn... no Canelo here either.

Floyd Mayweather outlanded Canelo in EVERY...... SINGLE...... ROUND. Sometimes by a 2:1 or even 3:1 margin.

Maybe when you say "very competitive", you were looking at it from CJ Ross's vantage point.

Let's face it. Canelo was gifted the opportunity to step into the ring with Floyd Mayweather who.... albeit being the smaller man.... handed a HUMILIATING boxing lesson to Canelo... and a reality check to the legions of blind Canelo fans who demanded the fight in the first place.
    When I say Mayweather - Canelo was a very competive fight that doesn't mean I think it was a close fight. What I'm saying is that every single round in the Mayweather - Canelo fight was competitive. It's just that Mayweather won those competive rounds

It's bit like when Joshua fought Ruiz in the rematch. That was also very competitive fight but it wasn't a close fight. You never thought "Joshua got this easy" there was always that sense of danger.

Canelo lost to the best fighter in the world (Mayweather) but he didn't lose that badly. Floyd don't ruin fighters. It's not like Canelo was beaten bloody or knocked out or anything like that. In fact Canelo's probably had harder sparring session but he was outboxed.

"Every single round" was competitive?? Which ones?

Round 7? When Floyd outlanded Canelo 25 to 9?

Round 8? 28 to 12?

Round 9? 23 to 12?

Round 10? 26 to 9?

Were those competitive? Help me out here. Because from my point of view, when a guy outlands you 2:1 or 3:1... that's just not all that competitive.

Oh... you're basing it on Canelo not being "beaten bloody or knocked out"? Yeah, well... there's this small detail of 1) Floyd being the smaller man, 2) Canelo having a tough chin, and 3) Floyd not being a murderous puncher.

Canelo was never going to be "beaten bloody or knocked out" by the likes of Floyd Mayweather, so let's just dispense with that bit of nonsense.

Once again, Canelo and his fans clamored for him to get a shot at the world's p4p #1 because they felt he deserved it. Floyd proceeded to hand Canelo a humiliating shutout in the ring, in what was probably one of his easiest cakewalks before or since.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But I did some homework.

For sure Pundit Arena.

"Every single round" was competitive?? Which ones?

Round 7? When Floyd outlanded Canelo 25 to 9?

Round 8? 28 to 12?

Round 9? 23 to 12?

Round 10? 26 to 9?

Were those competitive? Help me out here. Because from my point of view, when a guy outlands you 2:1 or 3:1... that's just not all that competitive.

Oh... you're basing it on Canelo not being "beaten bloody or knocked out"? Yeah, well... there's this small detail of 1) Floyd being the smaller man, 2) Canelo having a tough chin, and 3) Floyd not being a murderous puncher.

Canelo was never going to be "beaten bloody or knocked out" by the likes of Floyd Mayweather, so let's just dispense with that bit of nonsense.

Once again, Canelo and his fans clamored for him to get a shot at the world's p4p #1 because they felt he deserved it. Floyd proceeded to hand Canelo a humiliating shutout in the ring, in what was probably one of his easiest cakewalks before or since.
    OK. I'm not going to argue with you. I can't be bothered. I just disagree with you and you're starting to get disrespectful

There's an old African and Haitian saying

Last edited by Denilson3.0; 11-09-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there is nothing wrong with being beaten by a great fighter. it's not like canelo quit
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    there is nothing wrong with being beaten by a great fighter. it's not like canelo quit

The point of the argument is not whether there is something wrong with being beaten by a great fighter.
    The point of the argument is whether or not the fight was competitive.

It wasn't.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point of the argument is not whether there is something wrong with being beaten by a great fighter.

It wasn't.
    i gave canelo five rounds. canelo lost. it was a fight that he learned from & has improved
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't.
    i gave canelo five rounds. canelo lost. it was a fight that he learned from & has improved

Lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. Canelo was outpunched in every round. But judging is somewhat subjective, so obviously there will be differences in opinion.
    Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

Doesn't change the fact he was shut out and humiliated.
    None of the credible publications on Floyd's toughest fights come anywhere near including the Canelo fight as one of them.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still haven't caught the fight other than the last round but hope to do so this weekend. From everything that can be gathered it sounds like it broke down pretty much how the consensus of fans had it going in. Caleb shows he's not some scrub and can actually box well takes some rounds, levels widen and show, Canelo power and improved punch selection collects on a guy trying to increasingly anticipate-avoid the return just as much as assert his own effective offence and the ceiling finally caves in on Caleb. I've said it for years as have so many fans..there are too many random belts and random champs in any given division. Doesn't matter if it's strawweight to heavyweight...if and when a fighter comes along and sweeps them all into one dustpan THAT is what's needed and to be respected. One unified champ. So in that regard props to Canelo for knocking over everyone who stepped up and honestly doing it in a forceful pressure posture. Whatever I think of their caliber or record depth etc what is a man to do but to dominate all he's faced within a year? Didn't play with his food or screw around with bad showings he simply beat them up broke them down and took what was theirs. Now...the next thing that goes with a dominate Champion is a champion who faces and beats the biggest baddest threats in said division. That's a huge difference from simply collecting trinkets in matches that you were predicted to win and in some cases right down to the ko round. I think that perspective can get lost in the wind and hoopla of all the GOAT and P4P talk. This was Caleb, a glue sniffing Billy Jo and Callum, not Leonard Hagler and Hearns or another deep golden era. To me personally there's work for him to do at 168 and the 800 lb gorilla in the room is Benavidez at 168 and as mandatory now that needs to be his next match. Not hippity hoping up to 175 first, or holding out for the 3rd Golovkin moving up or another Yildirim sanctioned torture show. Now's the time and if you're talking best ever and 'historical fighter' you're not going back to tin cans like that and not taking heat. But for now..Benavidez fights this weekend against decent enough late sub but undersized Kyrone Davis in what should be a brutal statement waiting to happen. It's all on the line for Benavidez. Keep the nose literally clean and no midnight trips to Whataburger and blowing weight. If Canelo wants a clean division make that fight. Canelo may very well mop the floor with him given his engaging aggressive style and you know what I'll do..well done Canelo much respect. Or we may see the belts fracture with some oddball obscure mandatory defense if Canelo chooses that route. Going to be interesting going forward for all parties concerned and all a guy can do is call it exactly how he sees it.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 11-10-2021 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't.

Lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. Canelo was outpunched in every round. But judging is somewhat subjective, so obviously there will be differences in opinion.
    Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

None of the credible publications on Floyd's toughest fights come anywhere near including the Canelo fight as one of them.
    one judge that gets paid for a living gave canelo an extra round than i did. i don't think canelo was humiliated. he lost more rounds to a great fighter & used it as a learning experience. quitting would be humiliating

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't.

Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

one judge that gets paid for a living gave canelo an extra round than i did. i don't think canelo was humiliated. he lost more rounds to a great fighter & used it as a learning experience. quitting would be humiliating

Really? You gonna use CJ Ross as a measuring stick? Wow.

Nothing more need be said....

Except that your definition of humiliating and mine totally differ. To me it includes clamoring for a fight you should've never been given... and then falling flat on your face. One of my favorite fights ever.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes he learned.
    Yes he improved.
    Take your victory and run.

To claim it was competitive is ludicrous.
    Mayweather himself has clowned Canelo after their fight saying how "easy" it was.

Humiliating and embarrassing.

Floyd usually doesn't clown fighters who have faced him. But he knows Canelo was gifted an opportunity he didn't yet deserve.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't.

Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

Except that your definition of humiliating and mine totally differ. To me it includes clamoring for a fight you should've never been given... and then falling flat on your face. One of my favorite fights ever.
    you said it's lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. i was just highlighting what a judge who is paid for a living handed in. our definitions of humiliating does differ. usually in boxing there has to be a winner & a loser. there is nothing wrong with losing to a great fighter. if you are made to quit in a fight that is humiliating to me

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't.

Yes, he learned from it.
    Yes, he has improved.

you said it's lucky for us you don't judge fights for a living. i was just highlighting what a judge who is paid for a living handed in. our definitions of humiliating does differ. usually in boxing there has to be a winner & a loser. there is nothing wrong with losing to a great fighter. if you are made to quit in a fight that is humiliating to me

Let's not say "humiliating", then. Let's say embarrassing. Canelo had no business sharing a ring with Floyd, and it became crystal clear in a lopsided fight.
    Just because one corrupt and/or inept judge saw it even, doesn't change the reality that it was in fact a lopsided fight.

If you stepped into a tennis court with Roger Federer, it would become crystal clear you had no business being there. If you played till the end, ok... you didn't quit.
    But it would be an embarrassment of major proportions.

Canelo and his people demanded the fight. He used his "A-side" diva B.S. to get it.
    It quickly became obvious how unwarranted that had been.

But again... don't just take my word for it.
    There are plenty of boxing experts and publications out there that agree.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd was the A side fighter against Canelo, which was why he demanded the weight drain on Saul.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information