Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why is Cruiser always such a sh*tty division?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is Cruiser always such a sh*tty division?

I get it. Heavyweight is the glamour division of boxing, at least to the casual fan. Seeing 6'-5" 250-pound behemoths slugging it out in there appeals to our most basic instincts. But what is it about Cruiserweight that makes it such a barren wasteland in boxing? Think about it. There's a whopping 25 pound margin in there... from 175 to 200 pounds. Seems to me a huge portion of the male population falls in that range. The rest of the divisions below cruiser are divided by 6-7 pounds, with the margin being 3-4 pounds for the tiny guys.

Speaking of weight divisions... whatever happened to (cough) "bridgerweight", that other WBC abomination to go along with all the other WBC abominations like making up new belts for its coddled, protected fighters... and turning the other way (wink, wink) when a fellow compatriot AGAIN comes up dirty but this time gets the nod to fight on anyway. Bridgerweight seems destined to fly like a lead balloon, if it's not in the process of folding already.

But back to the real weight divisions. Seems like the quality of fighters goes up and down in various other divisions... but some divisions seem to ALWAYS have quality fighters in there, like welterweight. Let's not just say "quality". Let's say "recognizability". Divisions like heavy, middle, and welter always seem to have the most recognizable names in the sport. I guess you could say that lightweight to middle represents the epicenter of boxing, with the jump to heavy because of the "behemoth fascination factor."

A final thought on "bridgerweight", since I brought it up. Why would the WBC come up with that? I don't buy the "good for boxing" idea. The WBC never does anything that doesn't benefit one of its compatriot fighters. I would've thought they would have created a new division and wedged it between super middle and light heavy. You know... another potential belt for the collection.

Maybe fittingly and only in boxing... the rest of the alphabet orgs have refused to follow suit, and now we have dislocated weight divisions to go along with the myriad of belts and champion categories. But that would be another topic.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is Cruiser always such a sh*tty division?

This is something I've always wondered too. And light heavy to a lesser extent.

Guess if you're bigger than super middle they expect you to take on the heavies.

Maybe aswell we've never had two decent cruisers at any one time ? (I've no idea so if I'm wrong don't jump down my throat - I'm just musing here)
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With the new bigger superheavyweights dominating the heavyweight division the cruiserweight should be better especially as the maximum weight went up to allow smaller heavyweights to enter. This may have put off the light heavyweights from moving up but who cares?

The best unify the division as best as they can and use it for a launchpad to their heavyweight campaign. The money and fame is alluring.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    This is something I've always wondered too. And light heavy to a lesser extent.

Guess if you're bigger than super middle they expect you to take on the heavies.

Maybe aswell we've never had two decent cruisers at any one time ? (I've no idea so if I'm wrong don't jump down my throat - I'm just musing here)

It's puzzling isn't it? Twenty five pounds to work with... and there never seems to be any decent talent in there. Either that or boxing fans have no room in their fandom for anything between middle and heavy. It's almost like if you're a middle or super middle... you have to take that quantum leap up to heavyweight or else risk disappearing from public view. Unless of course, you've already built your fame at the lower weights.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okolie is already getting ready to move to heavyweight. Do not think he will even try to unify.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield was about the only great Cruiser. This is a great question that I have no answer. Back in the day Charles, Marciano, Patterson, Ellis, Quarry, and Moore could have all been great Cruiser Champs. Who has been a good big Light Heavyweight of late? That's maybe the reason. Or they move straight to HW like Moorer or Haye.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the top guys seemed to have been fighting each other consistently
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CW Div is boxing's stepchild.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just remembered one of my favorite back n forth battles was Toney vs Jirov at CW....obviously Toney bought the name recognition. Really some crackin fights occurred for CW to not have gotten respect from fans world wide.

Toney vs Jirov
    Mormeck vs Bell
    Mormeck vs Braithwaite
    Minto vs Vinny Maddalone
    Bell vs Adamak
    Wlodarczyk vs Cunningham
    Adamak vs Cunningham

A lot of cracking fights happened at Cruiser. Because it is the stepchild division...it has nor will it ever be anything other than the bridge UP to HW or down to LHW.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But now they at least have 'Bridgerweight' to point and laugh at . Cruiser gets some bad rep but never minded it. Just always seems as a pit stop to the lure of that heavyweight prestige and money. 90's was fun with it before it shipped overseas in talent and push. I recall trying to convince someone that Jeremy Williams at Cruiser was a star . Al Cole had a run..then took his frame and chin to heavy and did the journeyman..see Bert Cooper. Orlin Norris was solid as they come. Can only imagine a 175 Michael Moorer at Cruiser before jumping to heavy.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everything you guys are saying is true. But it remains an oddity that a division with a 25-pound spread (as opposed to 6-7 pounds like the other divisions) has such dearth of talent and such little interest.

Again... I'd venture to say a significant percentage of guys walking around today would fall into the cruiser category.

It's almost like a "weight warp" that beams up fighters from LHW to HW.

Thread Information