I get it. Heavyweight is the glamour division of boxing, at least to the casual fan. Seeing 6'-5" 250-pound behemoths slugging it out in there appeals to our most basic instincts. But what is it about Cruiserweight that makes it such a barren wasteland in boxing? Think about it. There's a whopping 25 pound margin in there... from 175 to 200 pounds. Seems to me a huge portion of the male population falls in that range. The rest of the divisions below cruiser are divided by 6-7 pounds, with the margin being 3-4 pounds for the tiny guys.

Speaking of weight divisions... whatever happened to (cough) "bridgerweight", that other WBC abomination to go along with all the other WBC abominations like making up new belts for its coddled, protected fighters... and turning the other way (wink, wink) when a fellow compatriot AGAIN comes up dirty but this time gets the nod to fight on anyway. Bridgerweight seems destined to fly like a lead balloon, if it's not in the process of folding already.

But back to the real weight divisions. Seems like the quality of fighters goes up and down in various other divisions... but some divisions seem to ALWAYS have quality fighters in there, like welterweight. Let's not just say "quality". Let's say "recognizability". Divisions like heavy, middle, and welter always seem to have the most recognizable names in the sport. I guess you could say that lightweight to middle represents the epicenter of boxing, with the jump to heavy because of the "behemoth fascination factor."

A final thought on "bridgerweight", since I brought it up. Why would the WBC come up with that? I don't buy the "good for boxing" idea. The WBC never does anything that doesn't benefit one of its compatriot fighters. I would've thought they would have created a new division and wedged it between super middle and light heavy. You know... another potential belt for the collection.

Maybe fittingly and only in boxing... the rest of the alphabet orgs have refused to follow suit, and now we have dislocated weight divisions to go along with the myriad of belts and champion categories. But that would be another topic.