Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Demetrius Andrade v Jason Quigley - 19/11/21

Irish boxer Jason Quigley has been handed a world title shot against WBO middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade in New Hampshire on Friday 19 November.

After a damaging defeat by Tureano Johnson in 2019, Quigley put himself back in world title contention by beating Shane Mosley Jr in May.

Since then Quigley, 30, has been linked with a possible bout with the highly-regarded WBO champion Andrade, 33.

The American has been frustrated in his hopes to earn a unification title bout.

"I've worked my whole career to get into this position of becoming world champion," said Donegal's Quigley. "Demetrius is a great champion but now it's my time and that world title is coming back to Ireland.

"I just wanted to get this announcement out so I can finally tell everyone 'yes, it's happening'. I'm absolutely delighted and buzzing. I'm really excited for this fight."

Andrade, who has held the WBO middleweight belt since 2018, has won all 30 of his professional fights with his 18 knockouts including a dominant win over Ireland's Luke Keeler last year.

Before winning the WBO middleweight title when he beat Walter Kautondokwa in October 2018, the Rhode Island-born boxer held the WBA and WBO light-middleweight titles.

Since landing the WBO middleweight belt, Andrade has made four successful title defenders including his stoppage win over Ireland's Keeler and points victory over Welshman Liam Williams earlier this year.

Quigley moved back into the world title frame thanks to his narrow points victory over Mosley Jr in Las Vegas five months ago.

Ireland's former world champion Andy Lee is Quigley's trainer although he missed the May bout because of travel restrictions which saw another former Irish boxing great Wayne McCullough instead fulfilling corner man duties for the Donegal fighter.

Quigley, a 2013 world amateur silver medallist, won his opening 16 professional bouts before his shock defeat by Johnson in July 2019.

After then linking up with trainer Lee, he won two low-key bouts prior to his crucial win over Mosley Jr.

Quigley turned professional in 2014 after an outstanding amateur career which included his World Championship silver and a European gold medal in 2013.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/58783037
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Demetrius Andrade v Jason Quigley - 19/11/21

One of the first American fighters to sign with Dazn Hearn and company. Has been relegated to literal career obscurity and irrelevancy since. Shame they don't do something absolutely nuts like making an actual attractive match with his mandatory Jaime Munguia.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Andrade was serious about fighting Canelo he would have challenged Callum Smith or Sergey Kovalev...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only seen snippets of Jason Q. Going with Andrade. He's not much of a talker, saw him try to talk his way into a fight with one of the charlos, he was way too nice and the charlos were in usual pompous attitude mode.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jason Quigley expects 'home' advantage as fans travel for Demetrius Andrade fight

Jason Quigley is expecting to have a 'home' advantage when fights Demetrius Andrade for the world middleweight title, despite the bout taking place a stone's throw from the American's hometown.

Quigley, from Donegal in Ireland, will challenge the unbeaten Andrade for his world title, and for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, fans from the UK and Ireland will be allowed to attend.

Tyson Fury, Conor McGregor and Billy Joe Saunders' home supporters weren't able to travel to their bouts in America due to a travel ban imposed by president Joe Biden, but that will be lifted by November 8, in time for his fight 11 days later.

And Quigley believes that "the whole of Donegal" will be jumping on the plane to America to watch him fight for the belt.

"I'm absolutely buzzing," Quigley said at a media day in Dublin. "I was trying to take things a day at a time and control my excitement.

"That's one thing I'm struggling to control at the moment is having all Irish over there, thank God the restrictions were lifted because I think all of Donegal had their flights booked and half the country as well.

"The Irish are going to be there, any time I'm chatting to anybody over that side of the water I'm hearing of busses coming up from New York so I can't wait to get into that atmosphere.

Andrade is one of the best fighters in the world at middleweight, and has struggled to find fights due to what Quigley says is a "high risk, low reward" proposition for bigger name fighters.

And that lack of big fights has meant that he isn't the household name in America that Quigley is on his side of the Atlantic.

"I believe that the Irish fans will outweigh his fans, 100 per cent," Quigley explained.

Quigley's team confirmed to Mirror Fighting a number of stories of fans making the trip, both expats in America as well as Irish travelling.

"There are bars in New York where they've put a notice up that they're running a bus, and they've had to book two because of the demand," his publicist Chris McNulty added.

"I think it's going to be very much a home fight for Jason in Manchester, New Hampshire."

Despite the interest, Quigley will be a heavy underdog when he faces Andrade, who is a long-time rival of Canelo Alvarez.

The Irishman, who is trained by former world champion Andy Lee, defeated Shane Mosely Jr in his last outing, while Andrade faced Liam Williams.

The Mosley fight likely earned him a shot at the title, while his pull with fans is also probably an important factor as Andrade looks to continue to build his profile.

Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing will promote the event, which will be shown on DAZN for fans in the UK and Ireland live from New Hampshire.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Demetrius Andrade v Jason Quigley: Irish fighter out to upset odds in world title bid

After a frustrating 18 months of fights falling off and big names slipping by the wayside, Jason Quigley finally has his shot at world honours.

In the early hours of Saturday, the Irish boxing star is set to make his way to the ring to challenge Demetrius Andrade for his WBO world middleweight title.

In what will be his 21st professional fight, this is the first time Quigley has challenged for that coveted world title. Despite having an extensive and particularly fruitful amateur career, as a professional the 30-year-old hasn't had that career defining fight yet, which this weekend could prove to be.

"I've worked my way now to this point and I have one more step to go, and that's to achieve becoming a world champion," Quigley said.

This fight will be anything but straightforward for the Donegal man against an opponent who believes himself to be one of the world's most avoided fighters.

It is certainly the case that Andrade, a two-weight world champion, an Olympian and a former world amateur champion, brings a lot of pedigree into the ring.

Quigley knows the magnitude of the task that is in front of him, but firmly believes he has the tools required to dethrone the man known as 'Boo boo':

"I'm 110% confident. All my career I have been the man that has been the big favourite going into every fight that I've fought, this is going to be a little bit different but I think in a good way. There's going to be no pressure on me, it's all going to be on Andrade," Quigley continued.

"It's in his hometown, he's the world champion, he's the undefeated fighter. Whereas I'm going in there as an underdog, but that's something very exciting and I believe 110% that I can get in there and come away as world champion on 19 November."

'I don't let boxing define me'
    One thing that could be helpful for Quigley is the fact that he has Irish boxing superstar and former WBO middleweight champion Andy Lee in his corner.

The Ballybofey fighter, who has 19 wins and one defeat from his 20-fight pro career to date, believes that having Lee in his corner on Friday could be pivotal, and the experience he has will be priceless come fight time.

"You can't buy that kind of experience," he said. "He's lived and done exactly what I want to do in my life and in my career.

"This is the actual belt too that Andy once held, the WBO middleweight title, so it won't only be coming back to Ireland, it'll be coming back to the same stable and coming back to Andy as well."

Quigley feels a huge sense of pride representing his country and is desperate to bring that illustrious world title back to Ireland.

"I look to go out and become that next world champion for Ireland," he said.

"I'm privileged and honoured to represent not only Ireland, but my county Donegal as well in this fight. I'll go in there, do them proud, and I have no questions in my head that I can't bring that world title back to Donegal. Most importantly I want to bring that world title back to the people of Ireland."

Considering he has been involved in boxing since he was a boy, it is unsurprising that the sport remains a cornerstone of Quigley's life - but the former European amateur champion likes to detach his life from his career.

Quigley admits that although winning this fight and becoming world champion would be career defining, he doesn't let boxing control his life outside of the ring.

"Winning this fight will change my life in my career sense, but I don't let boxing define me and define my life and my happiness," he said.

"But becoming world champion will definitely make me a lot happier, I can guarantee you that."

Should Quigley win this weekend, it may well go down as one of the best wins in Irish boxing history, against one of the most avoided and highly regarded men in boxing circles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59319710

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

total mis-match. it was all over in two
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is it about this era that undefeated fighters can't land a fight? And by 33 years of age for Boo More than a few solid boxers rot in obscurity from Crawford to Andrade.

Boo probably could have ended this inside of a round. And a damn shame Canelo pulls that who has he fought routine. Every great fights nobodies- UNTIL a somebody gives them a shot. Even Charlos seem complicit in the pick and choose game. As opposed to snatching that belt out of Demetrius' hands.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You would've thought he just ko'd a top ranked guy the way they were going on . Showed he could finish so that's good. Hearn is playing him out though about not getting the big fights. Munguia is his mandatory sign it up, fun fight!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jason Quigley: Donegal fighter overwhelmed by Demetrius Andrade in WBO world title bid

Ireland's Jason Quigley suffered a second-round knockout as he was overwhelmed by Demetrius Andrade in his WBO world middleweight title bid.

The Donegal fighter, 30, was knocked down three times by the American title holder in New Hampshire.

Andrade had his opponent down in the first round and twice in the second before the referee stopped the fight.

"I did what I said. I felt good and sent a message. You wanted KOs I did them," said the winner.

He is already anticipating his next fight, either against the Mexican Jaime Munguia or against the winner or loser of the fight between the Kazakh Gennadiy Golovkin, holder of the IBF belt, and the Japanese Ryota Murata, scheduled for 29 December.

It was a 21st professional fight for Quigley and the first time he had challenged for a world title.

Andrade - a two-weight world champion, Olympian and a former world amateur champion - took control of the bout from the early seconds and was never threatened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59358130

Thread Information