Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Liam Smith vs Anthony Fowler

This fight card seems to have gone under the radar with Fury v Wilder this weekend.

The ‘Battle of Liverpool’ is almost upon us as Liam Smith takes on Anthony Fowler this weekend.

The pair are set for civil war on Saturday, with bragging rights in the city on offer as former world champion Smith faces the relatively inexperienced Fowler.

Here’s everything you need to know ahead of the mouth-watering bout this weekend…

When is it?

Smith takes on Fowler on Saturday, October 9 at the M&S Bank Arena.

What time will it start?

The evening gets underway with the undercard from 7pm. The ring walks for the main event are expected to take place at around 10pm.

The super-welterweight clash is set for 12 three-minute rounds.

How can I watch it?

Smith vs Fowler will be available live for UK viewers on DAZN. The service costs £7.99 per month for subscribers.

Who’s on the undercard?

There’s a packed undercard to sink your teeth into before the main event of Smith vs Fowler.

Ted Cheeseman is among some of the eye-catching bouts on offer as he returns to action against unbeaten Troy Williamson, where he’ll be looking to defend his British super-welterweight title.

Meanwhile, Shannon Courtenay defends here WBA bantamweight title against Jamie Mitchell, having won the belt by beating Ebanie Bridges back in April.

Full undercard

Ted Cheeseman vs Troy Williamson (British super-welterweight title)

Shannon Courtenay vs Jamie Mitchell (WBA bantamweight title)

Pete McGrail vs TBA (bantamweight)

Kieron Conway vs JJ Metcalf (super-welterweight)

Luke Willis vs Rylan Charlton (super-lightweight)

Natasha Jonas vs TBA (lightweight)

Solomon Dacres vs Kamil Sokolowski (heavyweight)

Rhiannon Dixon vs Anaelle Angerville (lightweight)

Blane Hyland vs Santiago San Eusebio (super-flyweight)

Smith is in confident mood ahead of the fight: “I’ve never lost to a domestic fighter as a pro. I’ll beat Anthony Fowler; I’ll never lose to a domestic fighter. That’s a good little record to have.

“I turned pro and I’ve had 30-odd fights and I’ve never lost to a Brit. If I beat Fowler, I’m not going to fight another domestic fighter again, unless it’s a [Chris] Eubank or someone like that.

“I’m confident that I beat Anthony Fowler every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If I turn up at 100% then I beat Anthony Fowler.

“The way I see the fight going, it’ll be competitive early doors and then experience, cuteness and everything else will come on. I’ll stop him down the straight.”

Promoter Eddie Hearn: “This is the biggest night of boxing we’ve ever put on in Liverpool. The biggest Saturday night fight card we’ve put on since I’ve promoted boxing.

“This fight is a fight that quite frankly I hadn’t even thought of a couple of months ago. Liam Smith went to Russia and was robbed in a fight which should have taken him on to challenge for a world title.

“Anthony Fowler has improved and improved under the tutelage of Shane McGuigan and wants all the big challenges.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Liam Smith vs Anthony Fowler

Anthony Fowler says 'we've seen the best of Liam Smith, it's my time now'

Five days before a crucial fight in July, Anthony Fowler was "crying his eyes out". His son had just been born and Fowler spent three sleepless nights at the hospital with his partner.

It was far from ideal timing for the 30-year-old, who had to fight Rico Mueller in a light-middleweight bout a few days later.

Just 10 weeks on, Fowler is on the cusp of the biggest contest of his career against fellow Liverpudlian Liam Smith in their home city, while little Luca is still getting to know him.

"He barely recognises me. I'm always away training," says Fowler, who spends weekdays in London training under Shane McGuigan.

"I literally had three days in the hospital. Didn't sleep, stuck on a chair, I was knackered. There was such a high when he was born, crying my eyes out. It was such a special feeling."

Fowler suspects the emotional rollercoaster of Luca being born affected his performance against Mueller, although he still dominated to stop the German in the eighth round.

He expects an improved display against domestic rival Smith on Saturday, but insists fatherhood has had no effect on his motivation for fighting.

Fowler tells BBC Sport: "This is my dream as a kid to be world champion, since I was 11. Nothing's changed there."

Smith, 33, and Fowler know each other well having grown up in the Merseyside boxing scene.

Fowler remembers a sparring session between the pair where he wilted in the heat of Joe Gallagher's gym - or the "sauna" as he put it.

"He was much better than I thought," he recalls.

"I went back and sparred him again, I adjusted - it was good sparring for me."

The pair will now face off in front of a Liverpool crowd expected to be split down the middle.

Fowler says the city is "buzzing" for their bout, but has been left confused by some of the comments Smith has made since it was announced.

Smith claimed he would "never" lose to a domestic rival and questioned whether Fowler would ever be able to compete at a world-class level.

Smith also refused to shake Fowler's hand at the news conference in August and predicted his opponent would fade after four rounds.

"I don't really understand what he's talking about," says Fowler.

"I was surprised to be honest. There's no bad blood between us.

"I promise him now I'm in the ring for 12 hard rounds. That's what I've been preparing for. I've been sparring twice as hard, I've been sparring fellas twice as strong as him. I'll be there all night, 12 rounds.

"I even texted him at the start of the year: 'Fancy doing some sparring?' He said: 'Yeah, sound'.

"So I don't know where that's come from. It doesn't really bother me."

Fowler is adamant he will not allow himself to be affected by the big occasion or a big crowd.

"I'm doing it for myself, not anyone else," he says.

The more experienced Smith will be favourite, despite suffering a controversial defeat on points in his last bout against Magomed Kurbanov in Russia five months ago. His only other losses are to world champions Jaime Munguia and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

Fowler is on a six-fight winning streak since a bruising defeat by Scott Fitzgerald in 2019 - an outcome that left him "shocked".

He adds: "I am the underdog, technically, because I haven't boxed at the level Liam has, but that doesn't really matter.

"It's all about now. He's not fighting much, he's very inactive. I'm active.

"I'm going off four hot wins with a new coach. I've improved a lot. I'm coming into my prime.

"I think Liam has been in his prime. I think we've seen the best of Liam Smith, but you haven't seen the best of me yet.

"I look at him as a man, two arms, two legs, same as me. Come the night, the fella who is best prepared to win, will win.

"It'll be a hard 12 rounds. A really brutal and nasty fight. Boxing is a brutal sport and I think this fight will be brutal."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/58807384

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williamson having a war against Chessman in the 1st round both trading bombs.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williamson discipline jab wins the 2nd round.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both fighters do not want to take a step back and hard exchanges from both.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williamson hurt and batters Chesseman in the 4th. Hard fight to score.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williamson taking over the fight now hurting Chessman in the 5th but got hurt at the end with a right hand.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chessman nicks round 6 landing the effective punches but the power is with Williamson. However Cheeseman wobbles Williamson at the end of the 6th round.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolute war in round 7 with Williamson hurt at the end of the round. Brilliant fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tremendous 8th round both giving everything but Cheeseman taking over now.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default WilliRe: Liam Smith vs Anthony Fowler

Williamson wins round 9 hurting Cheeseman with a left hook.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Troy Williamson knocks out Cheesman cold with a big left hook in the 10th round on the ropes.

Brilliant fight and brutal war of attrition.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Troy Williamson knocks out Cheesman cold with a big left hook in the 10th round on the ropes.

Brilliant fight and brutal war of attrition.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dominant 1st round from Fowler who controls the round with the jab and has cut and wobbled Smith.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smith getting in closer in the 2nd round to land better punches to win.
    1-1

Thread Information