Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can Zepeda beat Josh Taylor?

Watched Zepeda 1st round KO at the weekend which was impressive.

Zepeda storms to first-round KO: 'I want Josh Taylor'

Jose Zepeda emerged as a future challenger for Josh Taylor with an emphatic first-round knockout against Josue Vargas on Saturday night in New York.

Zepeda retained his WBC silver super-lightweight title and his No 3 ranking with the governing body to strengthen his case to fight Britain's undisputed champion, who must first deal with Jack Catterall on his Scotland homecoming on February 26, live on Sky Sports.

Zepeda flattened Vargas with a huge overhand left inside the first round.

Vargas wobbled as he rose, and never looked sturdy on his feet - Zepeda closed in and battered him into the corner, where the referee quickly ended the fight.

The New York crowd were dramatically hushed into stunned silence as home favourite Vargas, a Puerto Rican based in the Bronx, was beaten so quickly.

Zepeda and Vargas' weigh-in 24 hours earlier had erupted into a spikey confrontation with punches thrown but their fight was a one-sided domination.

California's Zepeda made clear his desire to face Taylor: "Yes, 100 percent. I already fought his last opponent Jose Ramirez. It would be a good fight but I'm ready for that.

"I'm 32 and in my prime, I want the WBC title.

"I want all the belts. I'm ready for it. I showed that."

Vargas said: "He caught me with a good left hand, and I tried to recover, but I think I got up too fast. That's what happened. Overall, I'm OK. I'm good. I'm healthy. We're not stopping from here. It's on to the next."

Carlos Caraballo's undefeated streak was ended by Jonas Sultan in a slugfest featuring five combined knock-downs.

Puerto Rico's Caraballo was making his New York debut in front of plenty of his countrymen but was floored four times by underdog Sultan, who won a 10-round unanimous decision.

Sultan scored the first knockdown in the second round, then another in the third, but Caraballo repaid the favour before the bell rang with a glancing shot.

Sultan sent Caraballo to the canvas again in the sixth and ninth to score an upset and reduce the crowd to awkward silence.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can Zepeda beat Josh Taylor?

love me some chon zepeda. i thought the miles were showing against henry but at his best he gives anyone hell. sadly josh ices chon. could be war while it lasts
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure but I could watch his ko of Vargas 100 times . Somehow Vargas thought he was on his level and if ever a guy earned to be ko'd Vargas was it. Zepeda has always been a class guy and a legit southpaw threat but when he's 'on' he's a threat to anyone. Went back and watched the Ramirez war which honestly could have edged either way. Just a fun honest war that felt like a throw back to Mexico v Mexico showdowns. He called on Taylor to come on, same promotion and now stands as his #1 or 2 but before anything Taylor has the postponed Catterall fight to come. What are the specifics on the knee injury to Taylor anyone know??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josue Vargas was a joke. Another failed Puerto Rican prospect who crashed and burned. He had no business being in the ring against Zepeda.

Zepeda I think would give Taylor a competitive fight
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post
    Josue Vargas was a joke. Another failed Puerto Rican prospect who crashed and burned. He had no business being in the ring against Zepeda.

Zepeda I think would give Taylor a competitive fight

Josue Vargas was a prospect? LOL. It's true... you really DON'T know shit.

Hardly anyone here knows about him.

But do carry on...

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor will eventually have to fight knockout artist Jose Zepeda, who is his mandatory challenger, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has revealed.

The undisputed super-lightweight champion from Edinburgh will firstly defend his titles against fellow Brit Jack Catterall on February 26, live on Sky Sports, in his homecoming fight in Scotland.

But his queue of challengers now includes Mexican-American puncher Zepeda, who demolished Josue Vargas inside one round, ruthlessly ending their heated dispute in New York last month.

Asked if Zepeda would receive a shot at Taylor, Sulaiman told Sky Sports: "Absolutely. Zepeda is the mandatory contender in the division.

"We have agreed with the organisations to take turns when there is a unified champion.

"It is the WBO's turn with Jack Catterall. Unfortunately there was an injury so their fight was postponed.

"But Zepeda is right there in line for the mandatory of the division."

Zepeda, who currently holds the WBC silver super-lightweight title, has an intimidating record of 27 knockouts in his 35 wins with just two losses.

A dislocated shoulder ruined his attempt to win a WBO title against Terry Flanagan in 2015, while he emerged with credit from a points loss to Jose Ramirez, who was beaten by Taylor in last year's undisputed title fight.

Zepeda has since made a statement by knocking out Ivan Baranchyk, an opponent who Taylor defeated on points to win his first world title.

He called out Taylor after his most recent win, saying: "Yes, 100 percent. I already fought his last opponent Ramirez. It would be a good fight but I'm ready for that.

"I'm 32 and in my prime, I want the WBC title.

"I want all the belts. I'm ready for it. I showed that."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information