Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Long Interview with JMM

Unfortunately, it's in Spanish. But it's an hour and half long "One on One" interview with Juan Manuel Marquez, in which he opens up about many things in his career, including: his fights with Pacquiao, his thoughts on having faced Mayweather, his consensus ranking among all-time fighters (also among Mexican fighters), and many other things. JMM has always been a favorite of mine, and I've always considered him among the very top Mexican fighters. Seeing him speak in such a candid interview only increases what I think of him.

An interesting part of the video is when he's asked if Canelo can ever become the greatest fighter in Mexican history. His flat answer: NO. He goes on to compare Canelo with the Mexican fighters of old, including JCC and others. He mentions the rehydration clauses, and all the A-side bullshit that was never a part of Mexican fighter tradition. Personally, I thought he was pretty restrained on a subject I know he's probably pretty passionate about. He's probably mindful that young Canelo fans will probably see his response as sour grapes, or some bullshit like that. Yet he only says what most of us experienced boxing fans feel.

If you'd like to see the excerpt from the video, it begins at about 1:20:45, and lasts for about two minutes.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Long Interview with JMM

Chavez is always my favourite Mexican fighter and preferred Eric Morales over Barrera and JMM.

Marquez always beat Pac Man every time they fought for me but did not get the decision.

Floyd cheated with the weight when they fought. Think that is the only time he looked powerless.

Underestimated wins were against Casamajor and Diaz. Fantastic fights.
    Last edited by Master; 11-06-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JMM also rated JCC as his #1 Mexican fighter during his interview. In fact, at the end they ask him to choose who would represent each country (Mexico and PR) in a battle between their historic best. JMM chose Cesar Chavez against Felix Trinidad. Personally, I would have chosen Wilfredo Gomez over Trinidad... but I respect JMM's personal choice as a former boxing champion.

My only issue with JCC is that his 100+ win record is bloated with 40-some tomato can fights in the beginning of his career. He was 40-some and "oh" before fighting a warm body... OUTSIDE of Mexico. However, he more than proved himself after that... fighting the best of the best without any diva shit. So if JMM, Boxrec, and yourself rate JCC #1 among Mexican fighters, that's quite alright by me. I can't disagree too much.

JMM comes across as a hugely likable and decent guy in his interview. There should be a translated transcript available so people can read what he had to say. It was a very engaging interview that covered everything there was to cover. The best thing is he makes no asinine excuses for his few losses. And he gives credit where credit is due.

As far as JMM, Barrera, and Morales, my favorite between the three I'd say is JMM followed closely by Barrera. MAB won my fandom when he took down the extremely full of himself Naseem Hamed. One of my favorite fights of all time. Also, the grudge between MAB and Morales seems to have been fueled mostly by Morales, who always seemed like an eternal sourpuss to me. I remember one of their fights when Barrera tried extending an olive branch after the fight and Morales would have none of it. Sort of reminds me of the first Sugar Ray vs Duran fight.

The way you feel about JMM vs Mayweather is sort of the way Marquez and half the civilized world feel about a lot of the Red-Haired Diva's fights. Almost pre-arranged, and worthless in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

King was trying to set a fight between Tito and Chavez but that would have been a massacre. Chavez was too old and small for a peak and vicious Trinidad. Tito would have done a "Campus" on him and annihilated JCC.

JMM is a respected fighter who guaranteed top performances. How he got up after that terrible start against PAC Man, no one will ever know. Also that brutal knockout to end PAC Man was the justice he never got when he did not get the decisions.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I remember when an over-the-hill Chavez faced off against De La Hoya. It didn't go well for him... but again it wasn't really fair, as Chavez was totally on the downhill side of his illustrious career. It's sad when that happens.

Thread Information