Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo vs Benavidaz

If Canelo doesn’t move up to 175 then surely he has to fight fellow Mexican Benavidaz??

There is no Mayweather or Lara type style to dethrone Canelo in his weight class so it’s Cotto vs Margarito 2022

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs Benavidaz

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    If Canelo doesn’t move up to 175 then surely he has to fight fellow Mexican Benavidaz??

Substitute "ginger" for "black."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sad part is Benavidez becomes a bum when he loses to Alvarez.
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everything will be fine when he goes up to 175 to fight Beterbiev.

(4 years from now)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight that can take something out of both fighters. Canelo would be wise to use footwork a d angles to win this one- trading with Benavides is a bad idea. Not saying he couldn’t win that way, just saying it would be a rough night with lots of punishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

(4 years from now)
    He could face him in his next fight and beat him. And it'll be a guarantee that your bitch ass will come out with

"Beterbiev was 37. He was a shot fighter"
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post

(4 years from now)
    He could face him in his next fight and beat him. And it'll be a guarantee that your bitch ass will come out with

"Beterbiev was 37. He was a shot fighter"

Yes... and he could grow wings and fly to the moon. But we both know neither of those are gonna happen.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is Benavidaz really that good or is he just someone who has just waited, played safe and allowed Canelo to clear the pathway so that he is the only one left at the weight?

I believe it is the latter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

david b is an easier fight for canelo than caleb
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benavidez will not do what 3G did 2nd time out and that is seek to be a counter. Back away. I cannot envision David doing anything but coming forward.
    Kind of like Haglar vs Mugabi- 2 immovable objects refusing ground, refusing to back up, UNTIL!

Once Marvelous started backing up The KO beast...it was because he had no knowledge of clinching, backing away...and because of that. Haglar ruined him. I think Canelo can ruin David in the exact same manner.

I think this will be an exciting brawl-if it occurs.

Side note- the fact that this guy is competing at 168, possible 175 further shows the genius of that money-grubbing counter master who really never was more than a 150lb fighter. The more Canelo beats these big guys, the more I respect how Money neutralized everything Canelo was capable of.

This is the fight I hope for in this division.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

You might be right. Benavidez is noticeably slower-handed than Canelo. He's also more of a plodder. I don't like the Canelo hype... but he has come a long way in the last few years. Canelo would outbox Benavidez and pick his spots. I'd have to say that at 168 Canelo is pretty untouchable right now. I don't like the way he's gotten there... but he's there.

Nobody mention Beterbiev, though. Canelo only previously popped up to 175 to pick off lame zebra Kovalev, who was drinking water from the pond after getting his bully mask ripped off by Ward. Just like Canelo only popped up to 168 (while at 160) to pick off lame gazelle Fielding, who was drinking water from a similar pond.

In both cases Canelo jumped right back.

Like great champion Juan Manuel Marquez and a host of other former great Mexican champions, I can't respect a man who does that.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Benavidez will not do what 3G did 2nd time out and that is seek to be a counter. Back away. I cannot envision David doing anything but coming forward.
    Kind of like Haglar vs Mugabi- 2 immovable objects refusing ground, refusing to back up, UNTIL!

Once Marvelous started backing up The KO beast...it was because he had no knowledge of clinching, backing away...and because of that. Haglar ruined him. I think Canelo can ruin David in the exact same manner.

I think this will be an exciting brawl-if it occurs.

Side note- the fact that this guy is competing at 168, possible 175 further shows the genius of that money-grubbing counter master who really never was more than a 150lb fighter. The more Canelo beats these big guys, the more I respect how Money neutralized everything Canelo was capable of.

This is the fight I hope for in this division.
    I agree with pretty much everything in this post. I think you nailed it and I like the comparison to Hagler/Mugabi- although I feel that Canelo will move and counter more than stand and trade. Benavidaz puts that pressure on and I think Canelo is versatile enough that he will move and box, as I think this is one match up that Canelo realizes he isn’t walking his opponent down. I also agree that the more Canelo accomplishes, the better Floyd looks.

That being said, I can’t help but wonder if it doesn’t say more about the state of our sport. I can’t imagine Canelo being competitive with Prime BHOP, Joe C, or Ward. Those guys were not only much larger, they seemed faster and more durable. I don’t want to take anything away from Canelo, because you can only fight who is around, but I just don’t see the depth of talent.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez to be offered chance to face Gennady Golovkin in undisputed trilogy

Eddie Hearn will look to create an undisputed 168lb trilogy between Alvarez and Golovkin in the Mexican's next fight, and touts further options at light-heavyweight including Dmitry Bivol and Artur Beterbiev

Eddie Hearn will present Canelo Alvarez with an offer to stage an undisputed super-middleweight trilogy with Gennady Golovkin on his return.

Alvarez defeated Caleb Plant at the weekend to become the first 168lb champion to hold all four world-title belts.

He was frustrated for a large duration of his hard-earned victory but showed his clinical finishing with a brutal penultimate round stoppage.

And Matchroom Boxing promoter Hearn will make an approach to work with the Mexican again citing a trilogy with Golovkin as a presentable option.

"There is a few options for when he returns," Hearn told Boxing Social. "Arguably the biggest fight in boxing is the Gennady Golovkin trilogy fight which would now be for the undisputed 168lb championship.

"That would make it even bigger and that is a fight we could do obviously working with DAZN.

"Moving up to 175lbs against Dmitry Bivol is another fight we could do with Canelo Alvarez, so we will say 'here is our three or for options' along with other promoters such as PBC.

"I think being a free agent is quite risky unless you are a fighter such as Canelo Alvarez and if you look at the fluidity he has been able to have, he wouldn't have been able to become undisputed champion while being signed exclusively to one broadcaster."

Alvarez embarked on a rapid journey to become undisputed 168lb champion late last year when he defeated Callum Smith before earning further victories against Avni Yildirim and Billy Joe Saunders.

He now faces an array of options in multiple divisions with Alvarez previously admitting he would make a light-heavyweight return after defeating Sergey Kovalev back in 2019 to become world champion.

Alvarez has also been called out by YouTube star Jake Paul and UFC's pound-for-pound king Kamaru Usman but both seem unrealistic in the near future.

Paul immediately moved to mock the 31-year-old on social media in the aftermath of his victory who he has attempted to pull into a feud on multiple occasions.

Who would win in a trilogy between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

And the Mexican has refused to rule out a lucrative financial bout with YouTube star Paul.

After facing his fourth fight within a year, Alvarez has confirmed he will now take a break before targeting a return to the ring early next year.

"We are always looking for the best fights and defending the titles is always important," Alvarez said.

"But like I said before, right now we are focused on enjoying this fight, trying to enjoy the moment that is really meaningful and then when the time comes we will think about the future, maybe January we will see what is next.

"I have nothing in particular in mind right now, but I love challenges and whatever comes my way, I’ll be ready for it.

"I’m ready for any challenge anytime but we will see what comes next year. But right now I am enjoying the moment."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-face-25417877

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez called out by cruiserweight champion Mairis Briedis who has over TWO STONE weight advantage over Mexican

CANELO ALVAREZ has been called out by cruiserweight champion Mairis Briedis, despite their TWO STONE weight difference.

The Mexican superstar has won titles from light-middleweight all the way up to light-heavyweight.

And for the first time in his glittering 60-fight career, he achieved undisputed glory after knocking out Caleb Plant, 29, in round 11.

Talk has soon turned to what could be next for Canelo, 31, after securing the fourth belt in his super-middleweight collection.

IBF cruiserweight champ Bredis, 36, beaten only by Oleksandr Usyk, 34, in 2018, has thrown his name into the hat.

He posted online: "Doesn't seem like @canelo will find a levelled fight at SMW or LHW. What a machine! Ready to test waters at CW for a proper challenge?"

Canelo in 2019 moved up to 175lb and knocked out Sergey Kovaelv, 39, to win the WBO title.

But he soon vacated the light-heavyweight belt to settle down at super-middle.

Canelo has opened the door to moving back up and taking on WBC and IBF king Artur Berterbiev, 36, boxing's only champion with a 100 per cent KO ratio.

But going as high as the 14st 4lb cruiserweight limit has seemed less appealing to Alvarez, who weighed only 12st against Plant.

Roy Jones Jr, now 52, famously jumped from light-heavyweight, having debuted at light-middleweight, to heavyweight in 2003.

He stunned John Ruiz to win the WBA belt, but after moving back to light-heavy, his career took a turn for the worst.

Canelo has previously poured cold water on moving up to cruiserweight, but Bernard Hopkins in July backed the pound-for-pound star to achieve the feat.

Hopkins, 56, said: “The light heavyweight division, I think he sweeps through that. Canelo can compete all the way up to cruiserweight as far as I’m concerned.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16683...airis-briedis/

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

You might be right. Benavidez is noticeably slower-handed than Canelo. He's also more of a plodder. I don't like the Canelo hype... but he has come a long way in the last few years. Canelo would outbox Benavidez and pick his spots. I'd have to say that at 168 Canelo is pretty untouchable right now. I don't like the way he's gotten there... but he's there.

Nobody mention Beterbiev, though. Canelo only previously popped up to 175 to pick off lame zebra Kovalev, who was drinking water from the pond after getting his bully mask ripped off by Ward. Just like Canelo only popped up to 168 (while at 160) to pick off lame gazelle Fielding, who was drinking water from a similar pond.

In both cases Canelo jumped right back.

Like great champion Juan Manuel Marquez and a host of other former great Mexican champions, I can't respect a man who does that.
    canelo is at one sixty eight now so he went back up. he is also four belt unified, when none of the others even fought each other. if canelo retires without returning to one seventy five then we can call it a testing fight. canelo started at one forty. some fights never leave their division. i haven't seen you calling for david b, callum, caleb or billy joe to face dmitry or artur. there is also nothing stopping dmitry, artur & joe from fighting. it will make a bigger fight & opponent for canelo to face
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information