Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competitive Fights That Weren't Close!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Competitive Fights That Weren't Close!

Inspired by a nice debate between @Denilson3.0 & @TitoFan!

Both know their stuff.

What fights do you think were really Competitive round by round, but not close...when all the rounds are tallied?

It is a very tough thing to sale!!!!!

Sam Soliman was competitive in every round against Winky Wright, He even reddened his face yet he lost every round....It is a tough sale for me.

Emanuel Steward was competitive in every round against Mayweather, yet he lost every round. He threw arm punches...no power, just landing soft shots.

I think the most competive fight that wasn't close for me is Calzaghe Vs Kessler
    Dig this Mikkel landed: 8/43 12/47 16/40 21/52 20/49 10/48 18/53 17/54 15/48 11/53 9/41 16/57

Looking at those numbers YIKES! How can someone lnd 16shot, next round 21, next round 20, one after that 18? Lands 16 in the final round- yet is not close?

Simple when the dude who beat him had these numbers:
    15/64 23/78 26/89 26/82 16/83 25/84 27/105 24/94 26/89 27/86 25/75 25/81

Post Fight Kessler said one of the funninest responses to how he lost I can think of
    Kessler: "He spoiled my boxing"

LOL! I knew what he was saying...as the rounds went on, IMO it was obvious he had the fundamentals down and Joe didn't. Kessler had straight as an arrow jabs. His counters were clean. His power was decent. His hooks & straight leads were that of a prized fighter not a club fighter.

Yet Joe seemed to throw kinda sloppily at times. At times I couldn't tell his hook from his jab LOL!!! Yet as the rounds went on -it became clear he had more stamina (cocaine?) he was really agile in a goofy kinda way. His power didn't seem that great-YET! I thought by the midrounds,,,he is about to take it to the next level. By championship rounds I was amazed at how well Joe controlled the pace. Knew the distance of getting in and out- at times leaving Kessler to go back to his corner with a look of...I can't believe I am getting beat by a guy whose punches look like he is trying to play the bongos.
    Who is he a boxer or Ricky Ricardo at Club babaloo?!

It was very competitive.
    But at the end...It wasn't close as to who won and who lost.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 11-10-2021 at 01:52 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Competitive Fights That Weren't Close!

Good topic.

I think to truly assess the competitiveness of a fight you have to go beyond the 10-9 scores round after round.

A 10-9 round can be anything from a back-and-forth ebb and flow round, where each has his moments....... to an absolute whitewash of a round, where the ONLY reason it's not 10-8 is because there wasn't a knockdown.

A fight can have all of one or all of the other... or some combination of both. In the end, they're all 10-9 rounds.

You can have a 120-108 fight where every round was grueling and judges basically had to toss a coin to choose a winner in every round. And you can have a 120-108 fight where it was over before it even began.

My point in the Floyd-Canelo fight is that there was never a moment that you felt Canelo was in it. It was a boxing lesson for 180 seconds of EVERY round. No... Canelo was never hurt. That means NOTHING. Canelo's got a tough chin, and Mayweather was not going to risk a lucky punch (ala Canelo-Khan) by trying to hurt Canelo. So he did the smart thing. He totally and utterly shut him out. No round was even close. THAT... is not a competitive fight. Floyd, who has gone on record saying what his toughest fights have been, has never mentioned Canelo in any of those conversations.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now that's a good one. I have to do a deep dive. My memory and attention span has been as stable as Judah in round 2 of Tzysu this last year . Jermal Charlo v Juan Macias Montiel last out felt a lot like that. Macias kept it right up front and very physical getting home clean lesser shots start to finish but on the card it was all Charlo. Guess many factors can seep in too as what was the group-think going in and did a guy just prove better than assumed? Did a favorite fight down to the level of etc. Mayweather v Augustus

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The second Triple G fight against Canelo was a win for Golovkin for me. The rounds were competitive but Golovkin won enough round to win the bout.

Eric Morales beating Manny Pac was comprehensive but competatative contest.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Good topic.

My point in the Floyd-Canelo fight is that there was never a moment that you felt Canelo was in it..
    This!

Pac vs Horn.
    Very competitive, but I didn't have the slightest clue the judges equated wild aggression to points. Pac won that fight IMO hands down. But it was different watching someone else play the forward gunslinger.
    Optical illusion? LOL!

A women's bout was Frazier vs Ali.
    Ali won the fight. She had a decent jab, had the fundamentals down.

Jackie was flatfooted. Threw school-yard hailmakers, arm punches, no arrow- but a bowed jab, hook jab? I dunno what she was doing.
    Yet by the midrounds it was obvious, the greatest's daughter had a broken nose.
    She was unable to beat Jackie, so instead she just beat Jackie..off her!

End of the fight Laila looked dejected. stated post interview she didnt feel good about anything in the fight- or as she responded "we knew she would be wild, but not that wild"

Jackie did NOT win that fight, but she sure as hell made Laila earn it. Competitive in about 8 of those 10 rounds. Can't say she won any of those rounds, but she won the hearts of the fans, me included.

Tyson vs Ruddock II
    Hard to guage the point disparity because MIke fouled continuously making it possible that Ruddock could possibly squeeze out a SD loss to Mike, they gave it to Mike, but at no point did Ruddock seem hurt, fractured jaw and all. Both times dropped, he got right back up. It was Tyson's win alright, but Razor found a home for his patented uppercut (the smash) throughout the fight. His power never waned, but it was obvious Tyson past round 10 didn't have the same power he started the fight with.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought JC Chavez v Meldrick Taylor was a close fight and every round competitive but the judges had Taylor way in front.

The fast hands and flashy combinations from Taylor were not causing as much damage as the judges thought. Chavez punches were harder quality. Slowly bruising and beating down the resistance of his opponent. Close fight but not on the judges scorecard.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford vs Porter

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor McGregor praised for being ahead on points against Floyd Mayweather

Conor McGregor has been praised for his fantastic boxing debut performance that saw him lead Floyd Mayweather for a number of rounds by expert Teddy Atlas.

UFC legend McGregor stunningly led unbeaten boxing icon Mayweather until the sixth round of their 2017 contest, according to top analyst and coach Atlas who was working on the night for ESPN.

While only one official scorecard of the three on the night agreed with Atlas, the general consensus was that McGregor raced into a three-round lead before eventually fading and being stopped in the tenth.

And the boxing expert believes McGregor impressed by taking the opening three rounds, meaning it took Mayweather until the end of the sixth, or 18 minutes into the fight, to even draw level with the beginner.

“To the credit of McGregor," Atlas said during an interview with The Schmo. "He was ahead.

“I know you guys are going to probably choke on your pecan pie that you’re having right now but he was ahead after four rounds.

"I was there for ESPN calling the fights, and I was there with the great Chael Sonnen sitting ringside and after four rounds he was ahead."

Atlas watched on stunned as the Irishman took the lead early in a fight where many had claimed he stood no chance, using his length to give Mayweather trouble early on.

Fellow ESPN broadcaster Max Kellerman infamously said that McGregor would not land a glove on Mayweather, but he in fact landed 111 of them, including 84 power punches.

"There’s a reason for it," Atlas continued. "Because he was using his reach.

“He’s a southpaw, he’s got long arms, he’s a counter puncher and he was staying outside with the counter punching, using his reach, using his jab.

"Four rounds, he was ahead. But then, of course, Mayweather did what he had to do in his realm to break him down, and he did, and he got to him.

"But the point I’m making is, styles make fights.”

Hardcore fans who read into the scorecards after the bout were stunned to see McGregor only given one round of the nine that were completed by two of the Nevada judges.

The Irishman was finished in the tenth, considerably later than the length of time he would be used to going in a five-round, 25-minute MMA championship fight which he had only done once.

But when the scorecard was released, only judge Dave Moretti had given him the opening three rounds, as many analysts and experts did.

The other two judges; Burt Clements and Guido Cavalleri, stunningly only awarded McGregor the first round, before giving the other eight to Mayweather.

This was despite McGregor out-landing Mayweather in all three of the opening rounds according to CompuBox statistics, which led to outrage in MMA and even boxing circles.

Mayweather retired at 50-0 after the bout, while McGregor returned to MMA, struggling to regain his former glory as injuries and outside of the cage issues saw him go 1-3 in the proceeding four years.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alvarez-Cotto. Cotto didn't get knocked out. But it wasn't a close fight. Same for Mayweather-Cotto. Cotto landed punches when Floyd let him. But Cotto knew he wasn't winning
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones vs Hopkins, many close rounds but Jones won them

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post
    Alvarez-Cotto. Cotto didn't get knocked out. But it wasn't a close fight. Same for Mayweather-Cotto. Cotto landed punches when Floyd let him. But Cotto knew he wasn't winning

Some Mexicans had Cotto winning the Canela fight. I thought Cotto lost by a narrow margin. Size difference and all that.

Floyd never "lets" his opponents just land. Whereas in the Canela fight, Canela missed most shots by a few feet.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Jones vs Hopkins, many close rounds but Jones won them
    Had to dig up scores and had it around 116-112 Roy. Prob looking for rounds to shade Hopkins honestly but along the ropes he was worked over a bit that early in career . Roy was blooming with reflex, masterclass

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Both know their stuff.

What fights do you think were really Competitive round by round, but not close...when all the rounds are tallied?

Sam Soliman was competitive in every round against Winky Wright, He even reddened his face yet he lost every round....It is a tough sale for me.

Emanuel Steward was competitive in every round against Mayweather, yet he lost every round. He threw arm punches...no power, just landing soft shots.

I think the most competive fight that wasn't close for me is Calzaghe Vs Kessler
    Dig this Mikkel landed: 8/43 12/47 16/40 21/52 20/49 10/48 18/53 17/54 15/48 11/53 9/41 16/57

Looking at those numbers YIKES! How can someone lnd 16shot, next round 21, next round 20, one after that 18? Lands 16 in the final round- yet is not close?

Post Fight Kessler said one of the funninest responses to how he lost I can think of

LOL! I knew what he was saying...as the rounds went on, IMO it was obvious he had the fundamentals down and Joe didn't. Kessler had straight as an arrow jabs. His counters were clean. His power was decent. His hooks & straight leads were that of a prized fighter not a club fighter.

Yet Joe seemed to throw kinda sloppily at times. At times I couldn't tell his hook from his jab LOL!!! Yet as the rounds went on -it became clear he had more stamina (cocaine?) he was really agile in a goofy kinda way. His power didn't seem that great-YET! I thought by the midrounds,,,he is about to take it to the next level. By championship rounds I was amazed at how well Joe controlled the pace. Knew the distance of getting in and out- at times leaving Kessler to go back to his corner with a look of...I can't believe I am getting beat by a guy whose punches look like he is trying to play the bongos.

It was very competitive.
    Mention my name again n I'll fkin kill you. I'll get a gun. There won't be no argument. You won't even see me. You'll just be gone. You hear me ?

Na. I joke. Chill mods
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 01-11-2022 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

10 people died in the rock collapse depicted in that frivolously used gif.

Hence, my nomination for "Most Tasteless Post of the Year."

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

Both know their stuff.

It was very competitive.
    Mention my name again n I'll fkin kill you. I'll get a gun. There won't be no argument. You won't even see me. You'll just be gone. You hear me ?

Na. I joke. Chill mods

Just saw this. I was floored emotionally. Not sure how to take this. even as a joke. Piss poor taste considering I dont think youve ever posted me in response. Inshallah if we ever meet hopefully you wont joke like that with me in person.

Thread Information