Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Worst tactics ever used!

What was the worst strategy a boxer used against his opponent that negated all their advantages and resulted in their loss?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Worst tactics ever used!

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    What was the worst strategy a boxer used against his opponent that negated all their advantages and resulted in their loss?
    1. Paul Williams loss to Sergio Martinez- complete abandonment of height/reach advantage in favor of inside fighting.
    2. Rafael Ruelas vs Oscar de la Hoya- Again, Ruelas looked to make it an inside fight and got starched by a tight left hook.
    3. Hagler loss to Leonard- I thought Marvin won but he made it harder by giving away four rounds and then boxing to show how versatile and great he was.
    4. Evander vs James Toney- Evander loaded up on every punch and tried to take his head off with one shot- contrast that with his fight vs Tyson and his display of jabs, combination punching, and counter punching.
    5. Joe Frazier vs George Foreman- Joe fought the way he always did but bob/weave, left hooks, and aggression were maybe the worst tactics to try vs George.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good ones. Hagler fought orthodox for the early rounds trying to wrong foot Leonard but when he went southpaw he was more successful.

I think there was nothing else Frazier could do against Big George. That style was made for Foreman.

Berbick trying to push back a prime Mike Tyson was career suicide. He wore the black shorts and long socks to try and play mind games but that all failed too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​Lou Savarese going all out kamikaze and trying to engage with and bomb out Mike Tyson in the first round
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

srisaket fighting el gallo orthodox in the rematch was baffling
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy Hearns going to war with Hagler. I am so glad he did though . Made for the best 3 round fight in history.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner using Mayweather's style against Maidana. He can't do Floyd. Marco whooped that boy from red corner to blue corner.

Gatti trying to employ Whitaker tricks against Gomez. I think it was the 3rd or4th? He tried bouncing himself (his butt) up/down on the ropes, when he bounched up- CRACK! got hit.
    when he bounced down...Gomez just waited for gravity to do its job...as soon as he bounced up...BAM!!

They asked gatti what was he doing? He said he tried everything...I think everything SweePea could do...didn't mean Arturro could.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scott Quigg has a high work rate, volume of punches and aggressive all action style. He did none of that until it was too late against Frampton who easily out boxed him.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad you mentioned Quigg.

One of the most bizarre cases of getting it badly wrong in recent memory is Anthony Crolla trying to box Jorge Linares in the rematch. Whats even more bizarre is I reckon experts like us caused it.

Joe Gallagher had a system didn't he. Keep it tight early, come on strong down the back nine. When it goes right, see Crolla Barroso (I think) you/he literally look a million dollars. When it goes wrong it's so exposed it looks like the worst decision ever made.

You're essentially offering the opening half of the fight to your opponent on a silver platter

When Crolla lost the first fight the chickens came home to roost on the 'Gallagher method' and he/they got absolutely mullered all over social media for it. Once something like that builds a head of steam the proper 'experts' start talking about it.

I think, and probably only I think that they changed tack purely because of the stick they were getting from all corners. They changed for change sake. Of course Crolla was never going to beat Linares in a straight up boxing match. Even slightly on the down slide Linares was far to skilled for Crolla and he cantered to the win. Ironically the only way Crolla could beat Linares was the Gallagher method. He wasn't as far away from doing just that either as I see it. I can't remember the exact round but Linares was on top as you'd imagine early doors. Gallagher method or not when he was fresh he was too good for Crolla. But there was a moment in the fight where I thought Linares was about to wilt a little. Then of course he bounced an uppercut off Crolla's chin and that was all she wrote.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

shawn against yordenis
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't be a bad tactic party without Joshua trying to outbox Usyk type of party . Oscar v Tito second half still cannot figure. There are some lists that scream certain fighters..Meldrick Taylor exchanging up front with Glenwood Brown for iffy W and sitting inside with Chavez all night? I still think Hopkins let a late round tko in Taylor I get away. Remember that one night Darrin Van Horn was convinced he could trade with Iran Barkley .

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Can't be a bad tactic party without Joshua trying to outbox Usyk type of party . Oscar v Tito second half still cannot figure. There are some lists that scream certain fighters..Meldrick Taylor exchanging up front with Glenwood Brown for iffy W and sitting inside with Chavez all night? I still think Hopkins let a late round tko in Taylor I get away. Remember that one night Darrin Van Horn was convinced he could trade with Iran Barkley .
    At first glance it seems obvious AJ was wrong to try to outbox. Only the rematch can validate it. He rises against Wlad, but against Ruiz in the rematch the big man boxes his way to win.
    I'm sure Usyk won't mind seeing how much AJ has to offer in a fire fight. If he can't handle it- for some reason, then he can just repeat another boxing lesson.

Oscar vs Tito 2nd 1/2....yeah, his corner steered him wrong and we all saw it. What is he doing??

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard v Duran 1 .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Leonard v Duran 1 .
    Never fight Duran's fight!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Great call on Meldrick Taylor in both of those fights! The Chavez fight “set him up” for the Glenwood Brown fight- meaning he was a declining fighter by that point with the memories of that brutal war with Chavez still fresh. For 11+ rounds I thought Meldrick was brilliant and I admired that he stood in front of Chavez and let those fast hands overwhelm him. I was young at the time (15) so I didn’t understand that Meldrick was making a career ending choice by chasing greatness and proving his mettle. I miss those days…

Thread Information