Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo eyes another lame zebra

Gennady Golovkin explains why he does not believe Canelo Alvarez is boxing’s pound-for-pound king and says he is ‘tired’ of Mexican’s recent fights

Gennady Golovkin has insisted undisputed super-middleweight king Canelo Alvarez is not boxing’s current pound-for-pound king.

The Kazakh IBF middleweight champion, who twice shared the ring with the four-weight champion, retains a rivalry with his former foe.

When they first met in 2017, the vast majority saw GGG deserving of a points victory.

However, the judges scored the bout a split draw.

There was plenty of bad blood when they met again a year later.

Second time around, Canelo was vastly improved and won a close decision.

The result was debated once again, but there were far fewer cries of ‘robbery’.

Three years on, there has been no trilogy bout with Canelo instead unifying middleweight titles, winning a light-heavyweight title and now becoming undisputed at super-middleweight.

These subsequent victories have cemented his position as pound-for-pound king in the eyes of most, but not his former foe.

“It depends what we take as the criteria,” Golovkin told the LA Times.

“After my fights with him, I don’t consider him the best.”

GGG continued: “To be honest, I am a little tired of this series of boxing, like carbon copy fighters.

“What Eddie Hearn is trying to do is present one of his fighters [for Canelo] after another.

“It’s like a soap opera that we’re all tired of.

“I think it’s time to move on and I think he should face the truth and have some conscience to end this.

“Because there are more interesting opportunities.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...und-for-pound/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnny Nelson has warned Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez his ‘biggest threat might be himself’ if he follows through with his plan to move to cruiserweight.

Canelo lit up the super-middleweight division in 2021, defeating Avni Yildirim, Billy Joe Saunders and Callum Smith to win every single major belt and become the first ever undisputed champion at 168lbs.

Having previously conquered the super-welterweight and middleweight divisions, the Mexican moved up to light-heavyweight in 2019 and duly knocked out Sergey Kovalev to become a four-weight world champion.

However, the 31-year-old is set on creating yet more history and is eyeing a fifth weight class to enter, by propelling himself all the way up to 200lbs to face Ilunga Makabu.

The Congolese brawler currently holds the WBC title in that division, having been knocked out by Tony Bellew previously in 2016.

“Canelo could be his own biggest threat. He might be biting off more than he can chew by stepping up to cruiserweight,” Nelson told Sky Sports.

“Me, as a former cruiserweight, I’m kind of insulted that this little man is coming up to our weight division. Any worthy cruiserweight will think, ‘No, that’s not happening!’

“That’s why the likes of Oleksandr Usyk are willing to step back down to cruiserweight to prove this. You’ll have a number of cruiserweights like Makabu, who are beatable.

“But then you have other cruiserweights that Canelo should never beat in a million years. Canelo’s biggest threat might be himself.”

Oleksandr Usyk held all of the belts at cruiserweight during his own dominant run, yet relinquished them all to challenge at heavyweight.

The Ukrainian now holds the WBA, WBO and IBF titles after beating Anthony Joshua, but admitted he would entertain a move back down to meet one of the pound-for-pound superstars in world boxing.

“Yes, I can fight him at cruiserweight, “Usyk told Boxing Insider. “But with only one thing – I keep my belts at heavyweight.

“Then I go back to cruiserweight and fight him and then I come back to heavyweight.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...r-usyk-weight/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez is 'more likely' to fight Jermall Charlo than Ilunga Makabu on Cinco de Mayo

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is 'more likely' to fight Jermall Charlo next than Ilunga Makabu, according to highly respected boxing insider Mike Coppinger.

The Mexican superstar is plotting his next move after he solidified his status as the world's greatest boxer by becoming the first undisputed super-middleweight champion last November.

Canelo Alvarez, 31, has been linked with a fight against the Congolese southpaw at cruiserweight, leading some - including his former foe Floyd Mayweather - to sensationally accuse him of ducking a fight with his American rival.

However, Coppinger claims that it is in actual fact Charlo, not Makabu, who has received the call to fight the Mexican later this year.

The fight is expected to take place on May 2 during Cinco de Mayo weekend - but a location is yet to be decided.

And, speaking to retired ex-champion Timothy Bradley Jr on ESPN, Coppinger said: “I’m hearing it’s much more likely he’ll fight Jermall Charlo on Cinco de Mayo. There are talks right now for that fight.

"If he is going to go to cruiserweight though, I think it would be a mistake, I mean look at the cautionary tale of Roy Jones Jr.

"Jones goes up to heavyweight, beats John Ruiz, wins the heavyweight title, then drops back down to fight Antonio Tarver.

"He struggles in the first fight, then knocked out in the second fight, and he was never the same.

"So I don't think you can yo-yo in weight over and over as a fighter.

"I think it's dangerous, I think it's risky, and I would right now look for Canelo to fight Jermall Charlo."

But while Charlo would no doubt be a decent test, Canelo has arguably already beaten the best there is at 168 lbs, including wins over former champions Caleb Plant, 29, Callum Smith, 31, and Billy Joe Saunders, 31.

And Mexico's pound-for-pound king recently insisted he has nothing left to prove, telling WorldBoxingNews: “Look, what I see and what I know is I beat the No.1 fighter at 168. It was Callum Smith.

“Next, Billy Joe Saunders, second. Next, the third one [Plant]. So, I beat all the best at 168.

"They were all undefeated. I beat all the best at 168, and now there’s people saying you need to fight this one — like always.

“This always happens. But I beat the best champion at 168. Then they say, ‘he’s scared of him’ or ‘he’s scared of that guy.’

"I am not scared about anything. I don’t avoid anybody. But what does that guy (Benavidez) bring to me? Nothing. Nothing.

"Mention a champion they [Benavidez and Charlo] fight before. How many? I really don’t care. Haters are always going to be haters.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blah blah blah...

Sick and tired of this soap opera.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least he's fighting 3 or more times per year. Would you rather he was a once a year like so many other world champions. Or would you then be moaning as he's made to defend a title against some shitter who's been inexplicably made it into the top 5/10 by an ABC body?

Lets also not forget that the divisions are for upper limits only. He isn't necessarily going to balloon up in weight right to a divisonal limit. He could theoretically fight in the cruiserweight division and stay at 168lbs if he so wanted to no?

And so who cares if he decides to fight "at cruiserweight" first, before he comes "back down" to Light Heavy to hopefully take on a Bivol or (and) Beterbiev?
    Now granted, if he fights Makubu (a top 4/5 cruiserweight), then comes down and continues to stay away from the very top guys from MW to LHW...then you can ask questions about who he is picking...

But since he has cleaned out the SMW division, he doesn't seem to be shying away from challengers and fights. And given he is more active than other champions in there he can be forgiven for a seemingly "easy, cruiserweight oick off" job, knowing that after that he is going to be back in the ring again within 6 months.

Not sure why people get so wound up by Canelo. I'm not a fanboy...I thought GGG beat him, and the meat issue hangs over his head still.
    But come on, he is a great boxer, and active boxer in a day and age of the top tier fighting twice in 18 months. He wants to unify divisions (blame the myriad of ABC and the promoters for that shitshow) and become a Mexican great, and he happens to be a lottery ticket for everyone else in and around his weight class.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is all true, Canelo is active but that is mainly because he has a huge contract with huge rewards for keeping busy. He might as well keep busy in his prime years and make as much money as possible. He has also jumped up in weight and fought top challengers at super middleweight and even if he has handpicked some fighters they have been at his new weight.

I am a Triple G fan and believe he beat Canelo both times but I could not see any other fighter do what Saul Alvarez has done. It is incredible what he has achieved going up the weights but I still do not class him as a great fighter yet.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    At least he's fighting 3 or more times per year. Would you rather he was a once a year like so many other world champions.
    Personally I'm a "quality" over "quantity" guy... so I care less about how many times he fights a year than I do about the fights he does make being against legitimate opponents at their peak and without a myriad of clauses.

And so who cares if he decides to fight "at cruiserweight" first, before he comes "back down" to Light Heavy to hopefully take on a Bivol or (and) Beterbiev?
    Now granted, if he fights Makubu (a top 4/5 cruiserweight), then comes down and continues to stay away from the very top guys from MW to LHW...then you can ask questions about who he is picking...
    Canelo's been around a while, and has a track record of "staying away from the very top guys" until it suits him. Kovalev was a perfect example. Why did he wait till Kovalev was ruined? "Coming back down hopefully to take on a Bivol or a Beterbiev"? Good luck with that. It's not in Canelo's M.O.

Not sure why people get so wound up by Canelo.
    I belong to other boxing fan groups, and can tell you that Canelo has plenty of detractors even among Mexican fans who still remember the past Mexican great champions. They can tell the difference. Back in the days of the Julio Cesar Chavezes and the MABs, there was no protecting of the "0", nor the cherry picking for the sake of useless trinkets (remember Fielding?), nor the diva clauses that of course he can impose because like you said he's the "lottery ticket." It's a sham that feeds on itself.

I hope that answered your question.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So after all that it looks pretty much smoke n mirrors talking about 190? If anything, they managed to give King renewed life to the point he's actually juicing up empty ppv cards now . Hey if it was all talk that ends in Charlo or Beterbiev than all thumbs up. But Joe Smith Jr has a trinket too and looked flat and 50 a couple weeks ago. In this fans honest opinion he hasn't exactly cleaned out 168 either.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    At least he's fighting 3 or more times per year. Would you rather he was a once a year like so many other world champions.
    Personally I'm a "quality" over "quantity" guy... so I care less about how many times he fights a year than I do about the fights he does make being against legitimate opponents at their peak and without a myriad of clauses.

Canelo's been around a while, and has a track record of "staying away from the very top guys" until it suits him. Kovalev was a perfect example. Why did he wait till Kovalev was ruined? "Coming back down hopefully to take on a Bivol or a Beterbiev"? Good luck with that. It's not in Canelo's M.O.

Not sure why people get so wound up by Canelo.
    I belong to other boxing fan groups, and can tell you that Canelo has plenty of detractors even among Mexican fans who still remember the past Mexican great champions. They can tell the difference. Back in the days of the Julio Cesar Chavezes and the MABs, there was no protecting of the "0", nor the cherry picking for the sake of useless trinkets (remember Fielding?), nor the diva clauses that of course he can impose because like you said he's the "lottery ticket." It's a sham that feeds on itself.

I hope that answered your question.
    canelo fought two undefeated champions to unify his division. i'd say both billy joe & caleb were at or around their peak. what clauses are you unhappy with in their fights?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez next fight: Offer from Eddie Hearn including Gennady Golovkin trilogy, Dmitry Bivol clash, Jermall Charlo also an option

Canelo Alvarez is weighing-up his options over who to fight next with a number of intriguing options on the table.

The Mexican has already achieved so much in the sport, winning multiple world titles in four different weight classes.

Most recently Canelo became the first person to ever become undisputed champion at Super Middleweight.

The 31-year-old remained incredibly active in 2021, fighting three times including victories over Billy Joe Saunders and Caleb Plant.

What does work in Canelo’s favour is that he is a free agent, not signed to a single promoter or TV company, meaning he holds all the cards on his future.

According to ESPN, Al Haymon’s PBC made a one-fight offer to defend his undisputed super middleweight titles against middleweight champion Jermall Charlo on May 7.

His fight with Plant in November was signed with PBC for a Showtime PPV and he earned a guaranteed $40million.

The other intriguing offer came from Eddie Hearn at Matchroom and was a two-fight offer.

The first clash would be against light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol, also on May 7.

This would then be followed by the much awaited trilogy clash with Gennady Golovkin later in 2022.

Their previous two fights were at middleweight, but this time would be fought at super middleweight for Canelo’s four belts.

Canelo and Golovkin drew their first clash in 2017, before the Mexican won their rematch a year later by majority decision.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...ermall-charlo/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ilunga Makabu eyes Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez clash after retaining cruiserweight crown

Ilunga Makabu retained his World Boxing Council cruiserweight world title with a split-decision victory over Thabiso Mchunu.

Congolese Makabu, 34, was fighting the South African for the second time having stopped him in 2015.

This bout was much closer, with judges in Warren, Ohio, scoring it 115-113 and 116-112 for Makabu, and the third judge seeing it 115-113 for Mchunu.

Makabu said his next fight would be against Mexican Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

"My next fight is with Saul Canelo - I'm going to box and knock you out," he said.

Makabu, whose record now stands at 29-2 with 25 knockouts, insisted he would be meeting the boxing superstar in the ring in May.

The WBC has already approved their match-up, although it would mean a two-division leap for the undisputed super-middleweight champion, who has won world titles in four weight classes.

Alvarez, though, has plenty of options, including WBA, WBC and IBF middleweight champion Jermall Charlo and WBA light-heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60187327

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Isn't Canela already looking in another direction?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez reportedly close to agreeing new $85million deal with Eddie Hearn and DAZN which will see him take on dangerous Russian Dmitry Bivol before facing Gennady Golovkin in trilogy bout

Canelo Alvarez is reportedly now closing in on a two-fight deal with Eddie Hearn and DAZN worth upwards of $85million.

Boxing’s pound-for-pound king became a free agent in late 2020.

As a result, he holds a position of extreme power when negotiating fights with promoters and broadcasters, giving him freedom of choice to survey the landscape and select whichever offer suits him best.

Upon first becoming a free agent, Canelo set himself the goal of becoming undisputed super-middleweight world champion.

To do this, he worked with Eddie Hearn and DAZN for a bout with Callum Smith, in which he won the WBA and vacant WBC titles.

Canelo next agreed a two-fight with Hearn/DAZN and dispatched of his mandatory Avni Yildirim before dethroning Billy Joe Saunders of his WBO belt.

Finally, in his last fight, the Mexican partnered with Al Haymon’s PBC on Showtime and knocked out Caleb Plant to win the IBF title – achieving his goal as undisputed champion in just 11 months.

Now, once again, Canelo is free to seek new challenges.

And, according to ESPN, he’s close to agreeing a fresh two-fight deal with Hearn and DAZN worth over $85million.

It’s claimed this will first see him move back up to light-heavyweight (where he previously beat Sergey Kovalev to win the WBO world title back in 2019) to challenge unbeaten Russian champion Dmitry Bivol for his WBA world title on May 7.

Then, assuming all goes well, it’s reported that Canelo would next return to super-middleweight and defend his undisputed titles in a trilogy bout with Gennady Golovkin on September 17.

GGG is first set to face Ryota Murata in a WBA and IBF middleweight world title unification and must win to set up the third Canelo bout.

When they first met back in 2017, the fight was a controversial draw with many believing Golovkin was very unlucky not to be awarded the victory.

However, in their second bout a year later, Canelo won a close decision which was contentious, but ultimately accepted by most boxing fans.

Now, the Mexican is fully in his prime at age 31, while GGG will be 40 in April.

The other option on the table for Canelo came from Haymon, who reportedly put forward a one-fight deal for a bout with Jermall Charlo.

It seems that in the end, boxing’s pound-for-pound king was swayed by Hearn and DAZN.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...nady-golovkin/

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All I've ever wanted is for Canelo to face fighters at their peak. Without cherry-picking... without sh*tty weight clauses... without any frigging advantage he can get his hands on so as to hold all the cards going into a fight.

Subliminal and unconscious way of saying no loaded gloves.
    Last edited by Master; 02-11-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I accidentally edited your post Titofan. Sorry.

Thread Information